Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BIG RANT TO PEOPLE, especially young women, talking on the cellphone at the same time they are paying the cashier. That shows no manners and respect for other people’s time. Pause your call, pay attention and get out of the way, please.

GRU? TALK ABOUT name recognition, Georgia Regional University?

WE WOULD LIKE TO thank the gentleman who helped us with our flat tire at the Augusta Back and Spine Center. He would not accept a dime for his help ... wouldn’t even let us buy breakfast. I hope we meet him there again. ... I have a treat for his dog.

THE CHICK-FIL-A controversy isn’t about what Mr. Cathy thinks or says. It’s about what we do. It’s about what happens with the money that goes from our pockets into his coffers. Part of every Chick-fil-A purchase becomes a contribution to groups that cloak hate in Bible-speak in order to do harm to gay men and lesbians. Connect the dots, folks. Continue to support hate groups if you like, but be honest about what you’re doing.

I HAVE A GAY FRIEND whose partner passed away unexpectedly. They were partners for 38 years. Friends rallied to provide support. Neighbors drove my friend to the hospital, and later to the funeral home to make arrangements. Neighbors called, delivered food and talked to one another about how best to support my friend during the difficult time. To me, this is what it means to be a Christian – not standing in a long line to purchase a chicken sandwich.

THE BOARD OF REGENTS didn’t see any survey data before they voted to screw up the merged Augusta schools even worse by insanely and egotistically naming the new school after themselves.

A BIG RAVE for a Ms. Tracy, who works at Macy’s in the men’s department. Thank you so much for tying my bow-tie. As James Brown once said, “It’s a man’s world, but it would be NOTHING without a woman!”

RAVE FOR REPUBLICAN vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan. He is not as conservative as some might have been led to believe.

I WOULD LIKE TO suggest the combined university be named Georgia Regents University at Augusta. That would identify the state and the city and would be a compromise on both sides.

Jake
Jake 08/29/12 - 08:28 pm
Hooray!

Not a bunch of one-sided rants&raves. Cell phone talking while dealing with people is the new "farting out loud in a crowded room" syndrome.

Chick-Fil-A at least stands for something so you can take it or leave it. Me? I don't care for their product and there are not any around me anyway.

The gay friend rave was pretty nice in how it shows the love of community. Please don't believe that all Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews or whatever are bad based upon dogma. This instance shows that the spirit of love and community trumps dogma.

"Ms Tracy at the Macy,
Has tied my tie,
JB says It's a Man's World,
Would he lie?
Women make it happen,
Would be dull indeed,
If they weren't here,
Nowhere to plant a seed"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/29/12 - 08:41 pm
Jake

are you watching the convention?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/29/12 - 09:21 pm
Though liberals preach free speech

... anything said of which they do not agree is labeled, "hate speech." 1984's Newspeak has been here a long time and is only getting worse.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/29/12 - 09:24 pm
"RAVE FOR REPUBLICAN

... vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan. He is not as conservative as some might have been led to believe."

Great. I'm hoping you're wrong; yet another national-level RINO sucking up to the liberals is precisely what the nation doesn't need.

Jake
Jake 08/29/12 - 10:17 pm
@CG

I was going to watch the convention but my cordless drill needs recharging so I cannot drill holes in my head while viewing.
Political conventions, no matter the party, should only be viewed as a form of punishment. Kind of like listening to an insurance salesman espouse the virtues of how much money you can make if you lose an eye or a major limb. I'd rather watch our stupid bunny chew on the baseboard.

rebellious
rebellious 08/29/12 - 10:57 pm
Jake

You have a stupid bunny? And a cordless drill? Hmmm, don't go combining the two. Nice lymiric.

The RNC seems to be lacking in enthusiasm, and that worries me. I thought Condi was great. Ryan did OK, he got the message across. Huckabee makes me yawn.

On the rants: #1 That was me. Wife called while I was buying beer. She needed driving directions to the hospital cause she went into labor with our child. Sorry. I will see her tomorrow or the next day, but probably should have hung up to pay for the brew.

#4... that goes both ways. Many who think Homosexuality is wrong will support Chick-Fila over other restaurants because the owner esposes Christian beliefs (without any hate) and has a great, simple product.

Ranter #5...That is what Christian people will do. They may disagree with the sin Homosexuals continually commit, but they should reach out and help the sinner in need. Unless they are in line, on the phone with wife in labor, buying beer.

JC said He did not come to help the well, but came for the sick. Or I think He would have said that, if that isn't a direct quote. Hold on, I'll ask.....Yep He said quote Him on that.

#7.. Is that you, Paul Simon? So you wore the last bowtie out, huh!

the name change... tired of talking about it. I do miss the way Dr. Azziz (name spelled correctly) used to say GHSU! It came out real smooth, like GhisSSue. I thought it was cool, but then being from Augusta, what do I know?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/30/12 - 12:22 am
#1. It cuts both ways. I

#1. It cuts both ways. I can't count the number of times a cashier has had a phone to their ear while ringing me up. Rude is as rude does.

On Chick-Fil-A. Yea, they gave 1000 whole dollars to that family council whatever. That is the equivalent of me tossing a nickel in a beggar's cup.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/30/12 - 12:25 am
Rebellious

I thought Ryan's speech was pretty darned good.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/30/12 - 03:55 am
"Continue to support hate

"Continue to support hate groups if you like, but be honest about what you’re doing."
..okay, you got me! I've already supported that particular hate group TWICE this week. WOW!!! Being honest sure feels good! You know, ranter, people are seeing the light about people like you who love to throw out the words "hate group" and I'm sure you use "racist"....you're trying to play the psychological game of twisting things around to make people feel guilty if they in any way are associated with a group that may be at odds with your views. It's gotten tired and it's obvious. And people are starting to stand up for themselves and not be led around by "haters" like you......ooooo, I used that word on YOU now! How about that? See? I'm learning.

Trouble
Trouble 08/30/12 - 04:42 am
sinning

people decide that someone being a homosexual means they are committing a sin, but at the same time these same people use birth control......which btw is also considered a sin.....

just because you have decided that it is ok to use birth control, because you do not want anymore kids but you still want to be able to have fun does not mean that God approves of your use of birth control.

if you really spend some time thinking about it, being homosexual is a sin for the same reason using birth control is a sin......both keep you from being fruitful and multiplying....

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 05:49 am
Well, here we go again.

Well, here we go again. There is NO WHERE in the Bible that states birth control is a sin. This all goes back to understanding scripture and it's meaning within the context that scripture was written.

The scripture in Genesis 38 concerning Onan spilling his seed....the sin wasn't his form of birth control....his sin was disobediance of God's command. Scripture does not directly address the issue of birth control, it's emphasis is on children are a gift from God and a man is happy "whose quiver is full of them (Ps. 127:5)."

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 06:49 am
Paul Ryan

IAD...I agree I think Ryan added some energy to the group....(they so dearly need btw)....I liked his style......I liked Condi too..
Some are boring & soo predictable...zzzzzzzz
btw....I read the r/rs & suddenly I feel like a sinner for some reason....funny--it didn't feel like sinning when I was doing it....hahaha

Yes --I believe in birth control---yes I'm nice to gay folks---yes I go to ChickFilas...yes I use a cell phone sometimes in the car.....yes I drink beer.....yes I play country music too loud & too much.....yes I have cussed at times....BUT
I'm still not as baddd as KSM....heh heheh...

Good am CSRA.....next time I'm in town I'm playing golf....at the patch!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/30/12 - 07:17 am
Good Morning Hopeful America

I just love Condoleezza Rice. Nobody has given the praise that she deserves yet today.

Facts

Almost a majority of the people of the US are on entitlements - A King Voter.

Black (African American) that are not on entitlements - A King Voter

The hard core, breed one cell Demcats would vote for a Bronze cow statue as long as it was a Democrat statue - A King Voter

A small segment of humans that are followers of socialism and Marxist (professors and student followers) - A King Voter

A lot of women who would rather have the right to kill their unborn child that was God given in seconds of pleasure. - A King Voter

Those that have been released from the closet who feels that the Act of Love can be performed with any living creature - A King Voter

Then you have so many that are just sick of the political BS and lies, will just not vote - A Vote for the King

There will be many True Americans that will pass before Nov 2012 - A Vote for the King

Union supporters and Actors - A King Voter

The uneducated citizens - A King Voter

All I can say is, it is going to be hard to Save America and pass on a country that our Grand Children will be able to survive in. It is going to take every solitaire True American vote and God to SAVE WHAT WAS.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/30/12 - 07:19 am
B4

......I liked Condi too..

I was typing when you posted....she is one smart lady.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/30/12 - 07:22 am
A ditto

A ditto

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 07:47 am
Good am CGee

Yes Condi is a smart lady....just wonder if she will run for President one day.....or Nikki ...the one the men seem t like so much.....I saw Jeb Bush this am on tv & thought ...now he could be a good President...he seems fair-honest-a straight talker...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 07:52 am
Young blood

I'm going to be honest...I am really happy we are seeing some young men /women coming up in the Rep. party......the ole white head look as had its best days.....let the youngsters run it now........I remember how they made fun of McCain walking in front of the camera.....don't think they will make fun of Paul Ryan......that man seems to be in top notch shape...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 08:14 am
Rebel

I liked your long post last night..:)

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/30/12 - 08:21 am
Condi

I missed her speech, but I'm sure it was delivered with clarity of message and conviction.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/30/12 - 08:40 am
SeenIt is a troublemaker ...

"I'm still not as baddd as KSM....heh heheh..." WTH?

Man, all I did was wake up this morning and I am already a very ... bad ... girl? The rumors must be true ... I do "plot my evil schemes" even in my dreams while I am sleeping!!!

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/30/12 - 08:47 am
I enjoyed her speech

... very much. The text was compact and thoughtful, her delivery flawless. The one thing I think would have made it better would have been if she could have said -- a line she as the only Republican who could have delivered it, "But for all these missteps, as a black woman I've always been proud to be an American." That would've brought the house down, while starkly illustrating the chasm in thought and attitude that separates the conservatives from liberals.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 08:49 am
Bad girls....:)

People still like us KSM.....:)

So much work to do around here.....dust is everywhere.....books to read.....corn to cook.....I'm taking some geritol......ya know like my granmom took years ago......I wish I had Romneys money & Ryans energy & Rivers posting tactics....& Cgees shooting skills....& Ksm spunk.....& troubles humor.....& SEANS good looks...yeh

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/30/12 - 08:55 am
I heart Women! (Rant7)

Amen to Rant #5 and rant #7!

Even though they are "gay", we still have to show love and love them in their time of need. We are NOT CONDONING SIN but loving the next man.

"What is the greatest commandment?"
Love God, (show) love (to the next) man.
Leave judgement up to Him.

WE ALL have done something against His will, but life outside of His will is a misreable life.

God doesn't make mistakes. He would not place a man in a woman's body and vice versa. Seek Him if you truly want to be free. Trust me, HE WILL DELIVER! Yes He will!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/30/12 - 09:05 am
Genetic flaws...

Yes we have them.....but do you love them less.....naahhh
These sweet twins just finished college....I saw them on tv recently & saw how that home town adored them...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/30/12 - 09:21 am
Yes dstewartsr

"But for all these missteps, as a black woman I've always been proud to be an American"

If she had only said that, it would have been best deserving slap in the face for a non-American idol to some.

Trouble
Trouble 08/30/12 - 09:37 am
the bible

is open to interpretation.....people tend to interpret it however best suits their needs, and they tend to follow the church who best meets their needs where the preacher will interpret the bible so that it makes them happy.

there are many times in the bible where it is stated that mans seed "shall not be wasted" if you are using birth control, you are wasting mans seed, and therefore, committing a sin.

i stand by my original statement, you can interpret the bible to mean what ever you like it to mean, that homosexuals are evil, and birth control is good if that is what makes you happy, but you are just using the bible as justification to pass judgement upon others who you do not wish to take the time to understand.

no one will ever convince me that one of the greatest and kindest people that i have ever had the pleasure of knowing is condemned to hell simply because he does not have sex with women.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/30/12 - 10:17 am
I have to disagre with you

I have to disagree with you Trouble. If the bible is open for each person interpretation (which it is not) then it is open for error.

2 Peter 1:20 states "Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation." Therefore it is not our own interpretation but the interpretation of His Word through the leading of the Holy Spirt which reveals the truth.

We can make words say whatever we want. We can change meanings simply but rearranging the layout of the words, position of puncuation, not understanding the culture and context in which the scripture was written, etc. There is only one interpretation of God's Word and it is His interpretation......which only takes place when you have a close personal relationship with Christ, a clean heart, and through prayer and guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Trouble, I hope you made the comment in general and was not referring to myself. I never interpreted the Bible to mean homosexuals are evil or that birth control is good or to justify judgement. . I simply stated that the Bible does not state that birth control is a sin.

As for "condemned to hell simply because he does not have sex with women." I don't believe scripture says this either. I believe scripture says, homosexual behavior is a sin, but the only thing that will condemn your friend, or anyone else for that matter, to hell, is not asking for forgiveness, repenting, and then making Christ the Lord and Savior of your life. Sin is sin, and all of us are sinners....the only difference is that some of us know how disgusting our sin is, have a Savior who can cleanse us, and try and live the best we can according to His Word.

Jake
Jake 08/30/12 - 10:20 am
Here, here

Good comment Trouble.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/30/12 - 10:23 am
"Part of every Chick-fil-A

"Part of every Chick-fil-A purchase becomes a contribution to groups that cloak hate in Bible-speak in order to do harm to gay men and lesbians."

And you know this...how?

It amazes me that people will comment without some measure of honest authority. If the ranter has some evidence of this statement, I would like to see it in print, in the Augusta Chronicle, or any other publication. I’m shocked that the AC R&R censors let this one get published!

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...