Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

IN REGARD TO THE name change, I would suggest that people that did not go to Georgia Regents University simply not send money in when they request it this year. When they send out their little requests for money from alumni, I will tell them I did not go there. I went to Augusta College or Augusta State and let that be it. So they can just pass up on all that alumni money.

GHSU SPENT $45,000 on a survey about the name change, and then they ignored the survey. Dr. Azziz needs to go. He needs to go.

THE SOLUTION TO THE problem would be to have Dr. Azziz resign. He has created the problem. He is the problem. He is the negative. Start a movement to get him to resign.

THE $45,000 SPENT ON A phone survey to identify which university name was most popular was an irresponsible waste of money. It’s time to put matters to rest and use the name “University of Augusta.”

IT WOULD SEEM THAT Dr. Ricardo Azziz is out there alone. The omission of Augusta from his name for the new combination of ASU and MCG is ridiculous. Augusta has fought too hard for an identity and now a relative newcomer to the area has managed to push Augusta back into anonymity. Hopefully, some clearer heads will prevail and reverse this naming obviously borne from ignorance.

THIS IS A RANT TO the Richmond County Board of Education: Thank you for the new laser printer in my classroom. No thanks to the 300-copy limit per month. By the time I print my lesson plans (times four) , my daily reports, mandatory tracking, test results, letters to parents, RTI info and Individualized Lessons Plans, I have no copies left to print the math lessons we use in lieu of buying books. No wonder kids can’t do math; neither can the board. Whose relative at the board got this contract?

RANT TO AUGUSTA moviehouses. Where is Dinesh DeSouza’s new movie 2016? It came out Aug. 10. When will it be coming to Augusta?

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/23/12 - 09:12 am
Morning Shout Out ...

Good morning to all my AC fellow posters ... just dropping by to say "hey" and "bye" ... my blood pressure just experienced an extremely CRITICAL rise from another article this morning so it's best that I move on to more important business before Sean has to pull the plug on me permanently. I don't want to "flatline" because I would miss most of you ... have a great day :)

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/23/12 - 09:19 am
KSD

Relax, life is too short.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/23/12 - 09:33 am
@Riverman

Wasn't Freddie Chief of the Richmond County Police Department rather than the Augusta Police Department? Seems like all of that was going on when it was popular to have a county police dept. I think Warren County even had one and if my memory is any good Grover Tuten was the chief. Might have come along when Bill Anderson and J B Dyches were having difficulties with their principles!

harley_52
harley_52 08/23/12 - 10:08 am
"LL And Others...

....LL and others, I can tell that you have NOT dealt with modern children. Times change, people change, students are people.

The laser printers are CONTRACTED, meaning you HAVE TO USE IT!!!!!!"

As one of the "others," I have a few questions.

First, please define "modern children" and contrast them to....um...I don't know....outmoded children, or whatever is the opposite of a "modern" child which "LL and others" might be more familiar with.

Second, accepting the fact that "students are people," do students enjoy the same Constitutional rights as older people? Can they do whatever they want (within the law) at school or, for that matter, at home?

Third, please explain why a "CONTRACTED" printer is one that you "HAVE TO USE?" And explain why you think all public school printers are "CONTRACTED."

Fourth, when do children become "people" anyway? Is it before, or after, they're born? There seems to be a lot of disagreement about that.

BamaMan
BamaMan 08/23/12 - 09:44 am
Toe the line

Wouldn't it be alittle difficult to make someone toe the line, that you can't do yourself? Just sayin'

harley_52
harley_52 08/23/12 - 09:45 am
Sweet Son...

Do we have an "Augusta Police Department" and separate a "Richmond County Sheriff's Department" now?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/23/12 - 10:04 am
Trouble, seenit

I love you too. But can't you be more like KSM. She is nice to me.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/23/12 - 10:14 am
@Harley

One law enforcement agency for Richmond County the Sheriff's Department. Sheriff's Dept has always been around and handled the courts, jail and limited law enforcement duties when the county was mostly rural. It's law enforcement duties increased as more and more moved into the suburbs. The old Augusta Police Dept as we knew it went away with consolidated government. Most of the officers were absorbed into the sheriff's dept which was made the primary law enforcement unit in the county. At one point there was an Augusta Police Dept, a Richmond County Sheriff's Depart and a Richmond County Police Department. I suspect the Richmond County Police Dept was created to dilute the strength of the Sheriff along when Anderson and Dyches were sheriffs. Someone help me with this if I am totally wrong!!!!!!!

harley_52
harley_52 08/23/12 - 10:20 am
Sweet son

I was aware that the APD and the RCSO merged with Consolidation, but was under the impression our only Law Enforcement agency was the RCSO. If not, I plead ignorance on the issue, which is entirely possible. Or maybe I misunderstood your earlier post.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/23/12 - 10:34 am
Harley

I wish someone else would jump in here and help me but I think that when there was a Richmond County Police Dept, which didn't last long and I don't know why, Freddie Sanders was the chief. SeenitB4 is a big Freddie person maybe she will see this and jump in and enlighten all of us! LOL! I am going to stop using my feeble memory and hope someone with a good memory will help. Standing by. Will check later!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/23/12 - 11:07 am
Finally! I'm back! Problem

Finally! I'm back! Problem solved, and I now have an open door to do what I like best (with my computer)! Now that I'm worn out from sitting here for the past couple of hours, I'll be back later with my observations, comments, and regular pats on the backs of our Friends! Have a great day!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/23/12 - 11:11 am
I could be wrong

But I believe Freddie Sanders was chief of police for APD. If I am wrong I too plead ignorance.

harley_52
harley_52 08/23/12 - 11:20 am
Welcome Back...

...Sargebaby. I look forward to your posting and I'm happy to see you're back among us.

Tots
Tots 08/23/12 - 11:31 am
Welcome,

back Sargebaby..

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/23/12 - 12:02 pm
OK, I confess, I was wrong

Sanders was Chief of Richmond County Police

Policehttp://chronicle.augusta.com/news/government/elections/2012-03-19/augusta-attorney-freddie-sanders-run-richmond-county-sheriff

allhans
allhans 08/23/12 - 12:37 pm
Sanders was Chief of Richmond County Police

I think that is like saying...the title meant nothing.
The sheriff ran the county. Now, those were the days. Anderson and Dyches. Anderson was the cowboy, and Dyches, well....was Dyches.
And this was following Beck. Yep. Does anyone remember Chief Beck....George Nicholson....Boy oh Boy.

Really_Really
Really_Really 08/23/12 - 01:06 pm
I agree to some extent

LL wrote:
"Ranter # 6 does not need textbooks nor a fancy laser printer to teach math. All she needs is a chalkboard and some chalk; and all the students need is some lined paper (furnished by parents, not taxpayers) and a number 2 pencil (with a good eraser)."

While I certainly agree with you to some extent, please do not leave those children with limited vision out of the learning process. My daughter has limited vision, and cannot see the chalkboard unless she was 3 ft from it. So, her work is printed out on paper, and the font is larger too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/23/12 - 01:29 pm
Just for you sweetson...:)

Augusta lawyer Freddie Sanders, a former sheriff’s deputy who also served as Richmond County police chief from 1983 to 1985, before consolidation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/23/12 - 01:44 pm
RKill said..

Trouble, seenit

I love you too. But can't you be more like KSM. She is nice to me.

RKill...ksm hasn't met you yet---but we will fix that....& you haven't made her mad yet......:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/23/12 - 01:58 pm
R Strength has been blamed for sooo much....maybe he did this ..

Did he?

Did Ronnie Strength cause 9-11 to happen.....I mean ..really...according to some he has caused the election to go astray....the collapse of the Roman Empire.....did he have anything to do with the name changing on our college.....maybe he caused the females to join up with the National......well Ronnie ...you are a busy boy......gotta hand it toya.......now MAKE FS the next Sheriff........surely you had that planned all along----now didn't you....you are one smart cookie!

Yeh Right....good luck Sheriff Strength

Angie H
Angie H 08/23/12 - 02:19 pm
So when Quayle mispelled

So when Quayle mispelled "potato" people called him an idiot. What does that make Obama for mispelling "Ohio?"

Angie H
Angie H 08/23/12 - 02:20 pm
Maybe it's because in his

Maybe it's because in his native language, they write from right to left?

allhans
allhans 08/23/12 - 03:02 pm
You mean it is not O i ho?

You mean it is not O i ho?

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/23/12 - 04:01 pm
Oiho

...will be quickly forgotten by the media in all 57 states they serve. Quayle's spelling mistake has been the topic of articles, like in the NYT as recently as 21 August this year -- for those slow in math, that is over 20 years.

But there's no bias in the media. Believe them; they told us so.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/23/12 - 04:27 pm
Freddie Sanders for Sheriff!

Freddie Sanders for Sheriff!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/23/12 - 05:00 pm
SweetSon, you are right. It

SweetSon, you are right. Sorry for the delay, but I got busy. It was that temporary Richmond County Police Dept. Allhans described it well. I misspoke when I said APD. He was the chief, however.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/23/12 - 06:17 pm
Shhhh RK ... don't you be

Shhhh RK ... don't you be spreading that rumor! Some would argue I am the meanest female on earth :p ... SeenIt OMG do you think I go after everyone who makes me mad? Only SPECIAL people ... River is about to make my list :)

allhans
allhans 08/23/12 - 09:45 pm
Did you hear Terri O'neill of

Did you hear Terri O'neill of NOW taking credit for Aug Nat naming the two women as members. La-di-da....
Also, all Republican are against birth control...she deliberately left out the fact that it was about taxpayers paid BC....One misrepresentation after another..I know that must be a surprise to everybody. There was more, but I had to leave in a hurry....

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs