Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

REGARDING THE GRU name change: Maybe the reason “Augusta” is not included in the name is because future plans are to move the university out of Augusta.

REGARDING DR. AZZIZ’S chamber luncheon on Friday: What are the odds with him being there, will the protesters be allowed?

MR. A OUGHT TO GO back to where he came from. Nobody around here likes the Regents name. It ought to be Uni­ver­sity of Augusta.

RAVE FOR REV. Father Bill Williams. Thank you for all you have done to make our parish alive and active in the community. Your example of compassion for all people is a blessing and show of true faith.

GET RID OF AZZIZ. HE seems to be causing most of the problems.

A RANT about the Rich­mond County Board of Education Trans­porta­tion Department. The Rich­mond County Board of Education is still not running their department efficiently or even caring about getting the kids to school on time.

THE WEATHER PAGE with the crossword puzzle should be the last page of the Metro section. It is not part of sports or any other section, and since its main point is weather conditions in our area it seems very appropriate for Metro inclusion.

SINCE WHEN IS IT a requirement to send a ream of typing paper to school with your child? I pay more than $1,500 a year in school taxes.

HUGE RANT! That photo of the USA women’s basketball team is a disgraceful representation of the dignity and prestige of an Olympian.

I THINK A POLICE substation would be a good idea for protection for downtown. One close to Broad Street.

COPELAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL is much need of repairs with tax dollars. Also, parents and teachers need to donate pots of flowers to put out at the entrance to make more inviting.

TREMENDOUS RAVE to Ed Turner and Number 9. Great concert for a great cause. Best one yet! We love you guys!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/22/12 - 12:49 pm
CGee ... where is my

CGee ... where is my Sargebaby? I thought he was doing better but I never see him on here anymore ... if you talk to him today let him know that Karen is headed to try out the new McDonald's without him :(

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/22/12 - 01:10 pm
School Supplies

Reading the rant about the ream of paper reminded me of an essay in Neal Boortz’s book Somebody’s Got To Say It, © 2007. Here is an exerpt:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Remember those weeks before school started for your brand-new first grader? There you were, you and your proud new student, walking the aisles of the local Wal-Mart, your list of school supplies in hand. Item by item you checked things off your list as you dropped them into the basket: pencils and erasers, notebooks and pencil holders, construction paper and paste. By the time you made it to the cash register, you had a full basket and a happy kid. As soon as you got home, your budding Einstein took the supplies to his room and spread everything out on the bed. This was his stuff, and it was important stuff, too-his very own tools and supplies, the things he'd use to learn and grow. And tomorrow he would be taking them to school. He couldn't have been more proud. On his last night before that magic first day of school, just before he went to bed, your young student would pack all his stuff in his backpack . . . then unpack it . . . then pack it again.

The next morning, it's show time! Off we go, full of apprehension and pride. Your young man is taking another grand step toward adulthood! What could go wrong at school? Plenty. Remember, it's a government operation staffed by government agents.

As soon as the students are seated, the bell rings, and as fast as you can say the Pledge of Allegiance, the indoctrination begins: Your child is about to be introduced to the wonderful concept of "the common good."

Ready for class? Nope, not yet. There's a small matter that must be attended to first.

The government teacher steps in front of her virtual hostages and promptly delivers the first raw lesson in the power of government: She instructs her students to bring all of their precious new school supplies to the front of the classroom and put them into a huge box.

Wait just a minute here! Why am I putting my stuff into that box? My daddy took me to Wal-Mart and bought that stuff for me! It's mine! You can't take it away from me!

Oh, yeah?

As your child sits in stunned silence, the teacher tells him and his classmates that these supplies now belong to all of the class. What was once private property has been seized and transformed into community property, courtesy of the teacher's demands-demands that amount to a government mandate. There is no due process. No rule of law. After all, in school the teacher is the law. Your child's supplies are now everybody's supplies, and the teacher has assumed the responsibility of distributing them as needed.

Know this: This whole "dump all of your school supplies into this box" is no mere innocent exercise, no simple whim of a few individual teachers. It's a conscious policy, and it has a purpose that goes beyond simple expediency for the teacher.

Your child, and every other child in that classroom, is being taught that their private property rights end when someone in authority says they end. In this instance, that person in authority is the teacher-a government employee. And even if your child isn't able to understand that it's actually the government who's seizing his property, he certainly does understand that his property is being seized, and converted into everybody's property. Worse yet, he is told, very clearly, that this is a good thing.

And who is there to tell him otherwise?

I've talked about this property confiscation on the air many times. Some parents call in to scold me, convinced that I'm lying, that this doesn't really happen. But for every one who does, plenty others call in to confirm what I'm saying-to report that it happened to their own child! I've even heard from young parents who believed I was making it up . . . right up to the point when their own child returned home from his first day of school.

The most surprising thing to me is that some callers-even some parents whose children have had their school supplies confiscated- actually don't see the problem with the policy. Wake up, folks! The very concept of private property is under attack here, and government is leading the charge.

It is a simple truth that property rights are the very basis of human freedom. We come into this world with nothing but our bodies and our minds. Those are the assets we bring with us to the marketplace. And no society based on economic and social freedom has ever survived the loss of private property rights.

Nobody would seriously argue against the notion that we, as individuals, are the sole owners of our minds and our bodies. We present our physical and mental labor to the free enterprise marketplace and trade it there for wealth, usually in the form of money. It can be said that we have received that money in exchange for the expenditure of a portion of our very lives. When we convert that money to other forms of property, that property, too, represents a portion of our lives. That property is every bit as much ours as our very bodies and minds are. To demand that we forfeit that property to the government- even so trifling a piece of property as a schoolboy's notebook-is to demand a degree of involuntary servitude from us all.

I know this may sound a little preachy, but the importance of the basic human right to property, and its role in the preservation of a free society, cannot be overstated. When the government schools we pay for are working to destroy that concept, from the very first day of a child's very first grade, it's our duty to speak up.

Today we see property rights under attack from all quarters-as anyone who's ever confronted the idea of eminent domain knows too well. Government, after all, has an interest in weakening the concept of private property rights. The more Americans can be conditioned to accept the idea that the government has the right to confiscate our property for "the common good," the stronger government becomes and the weaker we as individuals become.

Come on, you say, my kid is only six years old! You don't expect him to realize what's happening and ask the teacher to respect his private property rights, now do you? What is he supposed to do, demand to be compensated for the seizure of his property?

Of course not.

Junior is a long way from understanding those concepts. But don't kid yourself: He certainly does understand, at least on a subconscious level, that his new teacher-someone he knows he is supposed to respect and look up to-thinks that the idea of seizing private property for general use is just fine. After all, the logic goes, there are other people out there who might need some of your stuff. And it's just not right for you to have something other people don't have or can't share in, is it? All you need to do to correct this perceived injustice, according to these teachers, is to let your superiors even things out a bit by taking some stuff from you and giving it to someone else.

Lxjohns
Lxjohns 08/22/12 - 01:25 pm
Luna lost Washington rd Hardy Mcmanus

Please help me find my daughters 6 month old girl, Luna, a pointer mix, black with white socks with spots, sweet, silly, brown and turquoise collar no tags. Evans Ga Washington Rd and Hardy McManus Laura at 7068252844

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 02:04 pm
harley

That is why my Grand Girl is going to a Private school. She starting in 1st grade and can easily go to 3rd. She has mastered all 1st and 2nd grade material I could get my hands on this summer vacation.

It cost me $453.00 per month...Will many will say they can't afford it...BS, what is the difference in monthly payments between a Lexuis and a Kia.....Look at the cost of some hair dues....your children should come first. Period

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 02:07 pm
harley

your link was perfect and contained nothing but true facts......but Liberial humans will never believe in facts.

Angie H
Angie H 08/22/12 - 02:09 pm
I put my child's name on

I put my child's name on everything they take to school......that way at least when it goes into the collective, they know it's still theirs....and I also refuse to send them to school with more supplies than they need. An entire box if tissue? come on..........

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 02:16 pm
LL

I have read that also and it could not have been stated any better. Neal Brootz is the man.

When the government is involved with anything, (Unions Included), they do nothing but destroy whatever they try to fix. They sure are destroying the lives of our next generation. (Brain wise, Freedom Wise and Debt Wise)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 02:19 pm
And

for a teacher to spend one penny on buying the child needs in school is really dumb, especially when the parents are out buying hand fulls of lottery tickets and getting their toe nails painted with little flowers on it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 02:25 pm
and

teachers who gear their teaching to the slow learners or the one that could care less about learning due nothing but destroy the brains of the one that want to learn. Within a year or two, those neglected students will be sub-standard with low grades.

That does not happen in Private schools.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 04:28 pm
Karen

sarge got his last Radiation treatment yesterday....Doing good.

I have been with Sean trying to get his account back since the big change. All I can say is, don't try and get help from AC Customer Support because you will just hang up thinking that you are Brain Dead. I have spent hours today and will not go there with what I have experienced.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 02:33 pm
LL

Glad you posted that Article, I'm going to put it in my Face Book.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/22/12 - 03:21 pm
Link

There's more to the article than what I posted above. You can find more at this link:

August, 2007

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/22/12 - 03:28 pm
More Pollution?

Hey, CG, here is an article from my web site (I haven't ever been to Facebook – I just put html up on my e-mail provider's free space) that you might want to put on your face book space. It's fairly long, but thought-provoking.

More Pollution, Please

john
john 08/22/12 - 03:33 pm
school

My older Daughter just started K at Lake Forest. We struggled with what to do, but thought for now we will see what the supposed best public school in RC at the elementary level is like. Private is plan B. This International Baccalauriate stuff gives me a little pause as well.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/22/12 - 03:41 pm
Good deal CGee ... However, I

Good deal CGee ... However, I still could not bring myself to going to the new McDonald's without meeting Sarge there because I promised him when it opened that I would meet him there for coffee (for me) and a fruit smoothie (for him) ... I made my way on down to Sonic instead :) ... So tell him I am waiting on him

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/22/12 - 04:54 pm
Just one ream

is not the point. The point is that neither the child nor the teacher should foot the bill for the budget concerns of the administratively top heavy school system. Elimination of one paper pushing position would buy the extra reams needed for the entire system.

Jake
Jake 08/22/12 - 05:10 pm
Reamed Out

If my children need extra money for supplies or for the supplies of somebody else then they will get it. We are not wealthy just very charitable despite the fact that some school boards may be overloaded with administrative personnel. One day we may not be fortunate enough to contribute but right now we are.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/12 - 05:22 pm
People Saying Strength Caused Tree's Win

The silliest comment now about the Sheriff's race is that Ronnie Strength could have strong armed those who ran against Peebles to stay out of the race. Huh? You serious? This is 2012 and everyone has the right to run for office if you meet the criteria. To suggest Strength is at fault because he didn't MAKE others stay out of the race is ridiculous. It would be illegal for him to threaten, blackmail or coerce potential candidates not to run.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/22/12 - 06:35 pm
JUST FOR RIVERMAN...:)HOW TO GET RID OF HATE

Calm Yourself. Anger does NOT help you make rational decisions!!!

Think It Through. What are this person's good qualities? Bad qualities?

Decide. Is it really helping to hate this person? Does he/she deserve your hate? (Think rationally here!)

Imagine. Think of everything about this person that feels like magic. Think of all the smiles, the laughs, the times where you never thought that this person would be in hate with you, or you with him/her.

Repeat As Necessary. Sometimes you need to vent some more before you can really remember everything good about this person. That is perfectly fine

you can thank me in the morning.....heheh...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/12 - 06:39 pm
Heh, heh, heh...SeenIt, you

Heh, heh, heh...SeenIt, you saw that. Ha.

Tots
Tots 08/22/12 - 06:45 pm
Did anybody,

happen to see Joe Bowels on TV saying the people talking about leaving Richmond county need to SHUT UP ?? That maybe Raintree is what they need,yet he never said he would vote for him....

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/22/12 - 06:55 pm
Just curious

... if elected, will Roundtree's radio codename be "Grateful Mother?"

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/22/12 - 07:13 pm
Well.........

I am still in town. My doctor, and again I use the term loosely, did not return some paperwork that was faxed to her. I had the boss email them to me and hand carried them. It was after 1400 before I got them signed and sent to Green Bay. Should get the official stamp of approval early in the morning.

And before I go.... Hey Ricardo, I told ya so. Now forget about the name change and quit wasting my money.

harley_52
harley_52 08/22/12 - 07:53 pm
You Are A Wonderful....

....and charitable person, Jake.

Thanks for letting us know.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 09:53 pm
Jake

If it makes you feel better, go for it. No Downers from me.

Commission plays 'Let's Make A Deal'

Political rumors are running wild in Augusta just like goats at city detention ponds. For example, here are e-mails that have been making the rounds.