Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

REGARDING THE GRU name change: Maybe the reason “Augusta” is not included in the name is because future plans are to move the university out of Augusta.

REGARDING DR. AZZIZ’S chamber luncheon on Friday: What are the odds with him being there, will the protesters be allowed?

MR. A OUGHT TO GO back to where he came from. Nobody around here likes the Regents name. It ought to be Uni­ver­sity of Augusta.

RAVE FOR REV. Father Bill Williams. Thank you for all you have done to make our parish alive and active in the community. Your example of compassion for all people is a blessing and show of true faith.

GET RID OF AZZIZ. HE seems to be causing most of the problems.

A RANT about the Rich­mond County Board of Education Trans­porta­tion Department. The Rich­mond County Board of Education is still not running their department efficiently or even caring about getting the kids to school on time.

THE WEATHER PAGE with the crossword puzzle should be the last page of the Metro section. It is not part of sports or any other section, and since its main point is weather conditions in our area it seems very appropriate for Metro inclusion.

SINCE WHEN IS IT a requirement to send a ream of typing paper to school with your child? I pay more than $1,500 a year in school taxes.

HUGE RANT! That photo of the USA women’s basketball team is a disgraceful representation of the dignity and prestige of an Olympian.

I THINK A POLICE substation would be a good idea for protection for downtown. One close to Broad Street.

COPELAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL is much need of repairs with tax dollars. Also, parents and teachers need to donate pots of flowers to put out at the entrance to make more inviting.

TREMENDOUS RAVE to Ed Turner and Number 9. Great concert for a great cause. Best one yet! We love you guys!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 06:45 am
RK

I sure wish we could have tilt a few while you were here on vacation.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/22/12 - 07:14 am
Someone at RCSO said it

Someone at RCSO said it better than anyone could last night:

"During this election process the members of RCSO have lost sight of why they chose their career. It is not to serve a Sheriff, but to help people/citizens in need, who call on them in the worst of their times. THAT has been forgotten & needs to be remembered."

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/22/12 - 07:28 am
EXACTLY KSM

Great men working together can do wonders for Richmond county.......I see a fair & decent race with Sanders & Rtree.......moving on now....

Good am to all---winners & losers....I guess i will send Freddie some more money----get those signs out-----say it loud.....make us proud.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/22/12 - 07:29 am
What God has for you, it is

What God has for you, it is for you!

Congrats Roundtree....

The results are a snapshot into just how divided Augusta really is....

Then the racial comments that followed, either on FB or here show who the real racial problem is in the community.

Just goes to show that God is WAY MORE BIGGER than any amout of $$ support....If Peepbls had been truthful, instead of sneaky, I feel that he would have had a better chance.

Hey, all of the people leaving RC, please hurry up and do so.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 07:46 am
Henry, They Will

and leave you with what you have.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/22/12 - 08:15 am
Henry

I don't have to pray for myself, I pray for "others".

When I pull into my 20 acre Cobalt Park, I hear no sirens or gun fire except when my Rifle/Pistol range is active. I see nothing but all the beautiful nature that God has provided, Geese, Dear, Birds and more plus all the fish in a 21 acre pond.

Why would I want to pray for more. Others need it more than I do.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/22/12 - 08:23 am
Had a drink wager

... with friends from RC; they believed Peebles' record and education would be enough. I predicted that in Augusta, colour always trumps competence.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/22/12 - 08:30 am
RE: Sending school supplies

... My guess is a ream of paper is enough to "share" with the "less fortunate," you know, the ones who're elbowing your kid out of the way to get their 'free' lunch. The ones with the two hundred dollar sneakers and latest model cell phone. It's very nice you and I are paying for the schools; the two bits the folks in the house next door are contributing from section eight doesn't go very far.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/22/12 - 08:36 am
The Transportation Department

... is a typical result of three factors; a top-down approach to problems which results in solutions that exacerbate the problems, an extreme case of the Peter Principle, and personnel being ruled rather than managed. Despite relatively flat enrollment the chaos grows each year.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/22/12 - 09:10 am
Nike has a new $300 shoe out

Nike has a new $300 shoe out called the LeBron James Shoe. Shouldn't there be a law or something? Kind of like not selling firewater to the Indians?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/22/12 - 09:38 am
Clayton county

Former Clayton county Sheriff Victor Hill has reclaimed the office he lost 4 years ago....despite 37 pending felony charges ...
Well now....we will see what the good Gov. will do with this little problem.....last time he was in office it cost the county millions settling lawsuits...

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/22/12 - 09:42 am
Please excuse me COBALT, that

Please excuse me COBALT, that was just a typo, not a jab @ you.

Trouble
Trouble 08/22/12 - 09:45 am
clayton county

sounds like they have their own version of charles walker.....

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/22/12 - 09:46 am
Re: Ream of paper

How else do you suppose your child receive handouts/notes to go home, with all of the budget cuts, 1 case of paper for and entire school year, not taking into account the amount of classes/subjects the one teacher is teaching probably is not enough...and I am sure that it is not REQUIRED, but asked.

itsanotherday1
42042
itsanotherday1 08/22/12 - 09:48 am
Reading the AJC version:

"Former Clayton county Sheriff Victor Hill has reclaimed the office he lost 4 years ago.."

The incumbent was no fine, upstanding man himself. Still, it does appear the voters chose the lesser of lessers.

itsanotherday1
42042
itsanotherday1 08/22/12 - 09:52 am
Henry Walker

I no longer have children in school, but when people pay hundreds to thousands in school taxes, it is reasonable to expect the school system to manage the supplies required to teach. If they are short on money, take it from non essential places, not from the children's education.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/22/12 - 09:55 am
Later folks

AJC to read....hubby to love.....dishes to wash---dog to pet------on & on ......I can't dabble in politics all day......even though I want to...have fun...:)

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/22/12 - 09:58 am
If you do not have children

If you do not have children in school, what is the complaint?
I agree, but dang, its just a ream of paper. Just 1 ream...

I EXPECT America to be a better country than what it is.....but is it?
I EXPECT Augusta to not be so racial, but is it? It is what it is.
I EXPECT the paperman to delivery my paper on my porch, but does he?

Its just 1 ream.

corgimom
corgimom 08/22/12 - 10:18 am
The ream of paper is

The ream of paper is necessary since the school district is too poor to buy workbooks. The teachers use them to print worksheets off of the computer.

Each child brings a ream, and I always have to go buy more before the end of the year, it's not enough.

corgimom
corgimom 08/22/12 - 10:20 am
A ream is 500 sheets. Divide

A ream is 500 sheets. Divide that by 20 kids, that means 25 worksheets for each. That's not a lot.

corgimom
corgimom 08/22/12 - 10:25 am
Back in our day, there wasn't

Back in our day, there wasn't any computers in the classroom. And it has nothing to do with free lunch. In our day it was 3 ring binders, Peechee folders, and notebook paper. Now it's backpacks and computer paper. 3 ring binders are phasing out, eventually they will be like buggy whips.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/22/12 - 10:42 am
I had to share this

Don't mess with little ole ladies...a 2 min funnie!....bye again..

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/22/12 - 10:51 am
Workbooks vs Worksheets

Wonder if anyone has compared the cost of the workbooks vs the toner costs of printing worksheets off the printer. I doubt it.

harley_52
harley_52 08/22/12 - 11:21 am
The Ream Of Paper....

....isn't the problem. It's a symptom.

"Not enough money" isn't the problem either. It's also a symptom.

I'll tell you what's the REAL problem here....

Liberalism.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/22/12 - 11:24 am
Evil rich Democrats

Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, the wealthiest Democrat in Congress, who reported a net worth of $198.8 million last year. That's a $5 million increase from the year before.

Now tell me again how evil Romney is.

Tullie
Tullie 08/22/12 - 11:27 am
Ream of paper

Wow, what next? If a child is getting a free breakfast and lunch in school, getting free backpacks, etc.., I would assume they can't afford to buy a ream of paper. So, they use the paper of the ones that do bring it in?

This is crazy, higher house taxes, the lottery, and teachers still buying supplies for their classroom out of their own pockets. Kids still having to bring a load of supplies for the classroom..no end to this it seems.

allhans
allhans 08/22/12 - 12:03 pm
A report on C-Span recently

A report on C-Span recently gave numbers showing private schools are less costly than public schools. Public education averages about $3,000 a year more than private schools to educate each student.

harley_52
harley_52 08/22/12 - 12:27 pm
"Public Education....

.... averages about $3,000 a year more than private schools to educate each student."

And yet, students from private schools are better educated than those attending public schools.

Further, I don't think students in private schools are required to bring their own ream of paper.

Go figure.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/22/12 - 12:30 pm
Corgimom Hits the Nail on the Head!

She is right about the ream of paper and the Ranter could do like a lot of the parents and just ignore the request! Secondly she is spot on with her statement about going into her own pocket for supplies etc for her classroom. We/my spouse are down to our last year of spending money out of our own pockets to make sure that the classroom is set up properly to teach and learn. When she comes back from the store with school supplies I immediately know that I have participated in purchasing them for some children that won't even appreciate it. When students show no respect for the teacher or for any authority within the school building it is very hard for me to want to spend our money on them. I would much rather spend it on my grandchildren. Nuff said! Good luck to all teachers this school year.

Officers tell of trauma from taking life

Although every experience is different, officers who take a life often experience severe bouts of depression, alcoholism, marital problems, sleepless nights and feelings of being alone in the ...