Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

NOV. 6 CAN’T COME soon enough to oust the entire Obama administration out of office. Time to clean house on the White House. Wipe the slate clean and make new beginnings. Restore this country back to the USA.

I AM VERY DISAPPOINTED with the Board of Regents for the lack of respect they have shown the citizens of Augusta. I am ashamed of you guys. You are totally tacky.

RANT TO RICHMOND COUNTY BOE. How come they no longer recognize employees with years of service certificates and pins?

SEEMS TO ME that I am more anxious to read The Augusta Chronicle the next day after the Braves win the night before even though I have heard every play of the game.

THANK YOU TO THE GENTLEMAN WHO found my Social Security card at the Columbia County Department of Motor Vehicles. I really appreciate your thoughtfulness.

RANT TO ALL YOU sheeple who are so passionate about Obama or Romney. None of these politicians give a rat’s butt for any of us.

I LOVE READING Sylvia Cooper’s columns. I called to leave a message on your voice mail one day, and you answered your phone and talked to me for about 15 minutes. I appreciate you talking to us simple people. You should run for mayor.

WHY CAN EVERY GROUP spout off about what they believe and they don’t want anyone saying anything against them without going crazy. But let someone say they go by the word of God and they go nuts. Christians are not going to hide our love for God under a bush.

FIRST FRIDAY’S GET DOWN Downtown Augusta deserves a big rave. Friends with Benefits, George Claussen and Lee Blitch did a fabulous job getting people downtown despite this rainy weather.

BIG RAVE TO THE person who anonymously paid for our three meals at Chick-fil-A in North Augusta Aug. 1. We really appreciated it.

GEORGIA REGENTS UNIVERSITY sounds like one of those online schools where you don’t even need to attend class. It is a ridiculous name.

anotherday
anotherday 08/18/12 - 11:33 pm
What's appropriate in church?

A little story about my family a few weeks back. We had just moved here and didn't have all the appropriate clothes due to how much we lugged through 4 airport and 3 animals. We wanted to go to church but buying an outfit for a family of four was out. The boys and my husband decided to wear polo tops and beige shorts. The boys had on flip flops and my husband had sandals on. We were uncomtrable going because I figured someone was sure to say something. We were welcome very warmly and we explained our attire and everyone gotva laugh out of it. However, we were in church to celebrate Jesus dying for us, I think he would welcome us with His arms open regardless of our clothing.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/19/12 - 03:38 am
Geeeeze

Why do Christians think they are being persecuted?
This country was founded on freedom of religion.
No one is persecuting Christians. It's all in your mind!
Go out and worship as you please. The Constitution guarentees it!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/19/12 - 04:03 am
Let me tell you

Georgia Regents University is a wonderful name and should be embrased by all Augustans. In fact it's the best name I've ever heard of for a University. Augustans just don't understand how great the name is. I don't think they could come up with a better name if they were to think about it for a thousand years.

It's not the right name for the merging of the Augusta State, Georgia Health Sciences schools by any means.

I heard their first choice was Science Health Institutional Training.
Now that's an acronym!

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/19/12 - 08:13 am
Bravos

Give up 4 hits and lose....of course they were very looooong hits!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/12 - 08:31 am
Yall are killing me Augusta

I need to keep up with my politics right here...BUT NOOOO.....The name change mess.....the lies.....the Sheriffs race......the spandex kids....the one sided bending over & worshipping 1 candidiate in the race has just gone 100% overboard.....overkill......& some have the audacity to say we talk about Freddie too much......weeel I'm saving my breath....for NOVEMBER!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/12 - 08:33 am
Hahah

What am I living for...

Sho ain't what some of yall are living for.....:)

Good am posters-roosters--chicks--slicks--I hate it when people lie!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/12 - 08:41 am
Sylvia Cooper

So...you had a good talk with Sylvia did ya now....I can see myself chatting with her too...it would be about country music I'm sure....she seems to love it too....comes in handy sometimes...heh heh....with the goings on....I might think of a few title songs feryee..

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/12 - 08:48 am
Just for Sylvia....in case she needs a few new title songs!

1.If My Nose Were Full Of Nickles, I'd Blow It All On You - ???
2. Do You Love As Good As You Look? - The Bellamy Brothers / Johnny Lee
3.The Day Lassie Went To The Moon - Camper Van Beethoven
4.Get Your Tongue Outta My Mouth 'Cause I'm Kissing You Goodbye- ???
5.Her Teeth Were Stained, But Her Heart Was Pure - ???
6. Here's A Quarter, Call Someone Who Cares - Travis Tritt
7. How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away? - Roy Clark / Dan Hicks I Changed Her Oil, She Changed My Life - ???
8.I Don't Know Whether To Kill Myself Or Go Bowling???
9.I Fell In A Pile Of You And Got Love All Over Me???
10. I Flushed You From The Toilets Of My Heart - J.D. Blackfoot
11.I Keep Forgettin' I Forgot About You???
12.I Wanna Whip Your Cow???
13.I Would Have Wrote You A Letter, But I Couldn't Spell Yuck! ???
14.I Wouldn't Take Her To A Dawg Fight (Even If She Had A Chance To Win) ???
15.I'd Rather Have A Bottle In Front Of Me Than A Frontal Lobotomy???
16.I'm Just A Bug On the Windshield Of Life???

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/19/12 - 09:18 am
Good Morning Rainy Rant & Rave America

Same-ooo Same-ooo. With the Qua-trillion keystrokes on the QRU, The great education level in Richmond County and the New Sheriff coming to Town, I guess the King SMNCICBHO is no longer an issue. So another quite day for me.

Can't mow grass, watch the Stock Market, so I guess I'll just click on my "Go To My PC" tab and see what is happening at the Office.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/12 - 09:34 am
Go to my pc tab

CGee...I can't just go to my pc tab.....it takes me to sites that I have banned....I say no-no-no....& my pc says yes-yes-yes.....it really has a mind of its own.....gambling-outlandish sites of nekkid folks--nasty jokes---but it plays good country music in the background.....that is to lure me there....but time is short today.......so seeya later ......

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/19/12 - 09:43 am
G'morning posters and posers

One of the weeks top news stories came from New Jersey I think. The school principle would not allow students to sing Lee Greenwoods' "God Bless the USA. Her reasoning... it might offend students from other cultures. Well, if singing about the USA offends you that much maybe you would be better off in your home country. If it is the phrase "God" that offends you then maybe you should find a country whose currency doesn't say "In God we Trust". This PC crap has gone way to far.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/19/12 - 09:50 am
RK, PC Has Buried These Great Words.

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American....There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Downtown 1
Downtown 1 08/19/12 - 09:56 am
friends with benefits fund

I love what these mid twenty year olds are trying to do with the community. I heard they have a lot of benefit concerts coming up this fall. They know how to have a good time for a good cause that's for sure! Check them out at www.fwbfund.com

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/19/12 - 10:14 am
I thought Trouble loved me.

I thought Trouble loved me. But she let us run out of coffee. Bad Trouble.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/19/12 - 10:15 am
I agree .... Same R/Rs, same

I agree ....
Same R/Rs, same people praising a candidate, same talk about what not to wear, same long list about what's being built & how great RC is, same ole One-Side Sylvia with her out of left field nonsense ... it's getting very redundant.

Back to my coffee & a new chapter in my book.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/19/12 - 10:18 am
Out of Coffee? That's GROUNDS for divorce

Get it? GROUNDS! Haha ... Oops ... sorry RK ... I never run out of coffee :)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/19/12 - 11:27 am
OK, maybe she does love me.

OK, maybe she does love me. She bought me coffee at Circle K.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/19/12 - 11:36 am
downtown 1, looks like a good

downtown 1, looks like a good cause but who in the world came up with that name??? if they're trying to be clever and relevent to today's youth FWB has a whole different meaning.

Downtown 1
Downtown 1 08/19/12 - 12:23 pm
omnomnom

I think its just a play on words. It's clever. They are a group of friends throwing benefit concerts. So they call it friends with benefits fund.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/19/12 - 01:24 pm
@SeenitB4

I wish I could get up and on the PC a little earlier so that I could banter with you and some of the others. All of you make my day with your comments that have nothing to do with Rants and Raves but have everything to do with life. All of us are just passing through for a short period of time and the fellowship that all of you seem to enjoy is great.

You were wide open earlier and I loved it.

Sweet son

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/19/12 - 01:24 pm
@SeenitB4

You were wide open earlier and I loved it.

Sweet son

shelby547
shelby547 08/19/12 - 01:54 pm
no fair

No one ever buys my food at chic-fila

JMHO12
JMHO12 08/19/12 - 02:13 pm
Clothes

I believe the Good LORD cares more about saving your SOUL than he does the clothes on your back! Also I believe flip flops were around long before high heels! Jesus wore them!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/19/12 - 02:21 pm
Thanks sweet son

Some of us do know each other,.....& have great friendships......we aim to please with our chit chat.....some jokes-music-history-current news ...all of that makes the am interesting to me....we have some comics on here...they do make me laugh a lot.....you should read their emails sometimes...REALLY funny stuff....
anyway ..just like your email said,,maybe I do have your #...:):)

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 08/19/12 - 05:04 pm
I suppose gettin' there

... is more important. Living in northern Maine, I can remember hunters coming in for early Mass putting their packboards and guns in the cloakroom after coming directly from the fields. Not a tie or white shirt in the bunch; it was mackinaws and wool plaid --no thinsulate or holofill in those days-- and many would leave their boots at the entrance as well as not to muck up the sanctuary.

Thinking back, I cannot recall a sonorous celestial voice thundering, "Thou shalt not!"

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/19/12 - 05:05 pm
Flip Flops

I didn't write the rant about the flip-flops, but I agree. Gone are the days of dress shoes and stockings, uncomfortable, but generally modest. Off the shoulder skin-tight dresses, even mini lengths, plunging necklines, spaghetti straps, shorts, holey clothing (not to be confused with holy) used to be prohibited as well. But really?? flip-flops should be banned for the racket they make. It's disrespectful to wear noisy accessories and immodest or too casual clothing in what should be a reverent environment. Common sense, please?

scgator
scgator 08/19/12 - 07:17 pm
"SOCIETY HAS REACHED a new

"SOCIETY HAS REACHED a new low when people feel that wearing shorts and flip flops in church is OK."

I AM very conservative so far as my Christianity goes; and I somewhat understand the above post. Having several friends who are currently serving as missionaries in other countries, let me say this..........the "dress code" is tradition, and the BIBLE warns against the traditions of man. I do agree that modest apparel is expected, but nowhere in the world will you find this argument, EXCEPT in America's "Bible Belt". One of my friends has served in Haiti for over 40 years, and he has put it before............wearing anything other than shorts and sandals is crazy! Because of the heat, people "come as they are".......OOPS, isn't that the same thing we tell people when we invite them to Church? Your "love" of tradition as proof of Christianity will condemn you to hell as quickly as the whoremonger, thief, or atheist..............Let the people wear what they will to Church, when they get saved, the HOLY SPIRIT will begin to work in their lives, and you won't have to tell them to change..........GOD will. Leave them alone, they may be "hearing" more of the Gospel than you.

harley_52
harley_52 08/19/12 - 07:53 pm
He's Never Told Me This Directly...

....but I think God is more concerned that people go to church much more than what they wear when they go. I agree people should dress appropriately to visit the Lord, but there are circumstances where it's impractical to do that.

DoggieMom
DoggieMom 08/19/12 - 08:05 pm
Dress Code

I was a bit upset about how the teens & young adults were coming in to church, low riders, tube tops, etc, and then I realized, "They are here". In this day and age when it isn't very cool to be in church, these kids are coming, and it isn't up to you or me to be judgemental.....just the fact that they've bothered to get up and show up is a big deal, so just greet them, and thank them for coming!
Our church dims the lights, so it doesn't really matter what anyone is wearing, just that they are there to worship shows where their heart is at, and that's all that matters. :-)

Augusta's ties to Liberia date back to 1836

Richmond County’s ties to West Africa date back to the 1830s, when plantation owner Richard Tubman wrote in his will that his slaves were to be offered freedom. More recently, Augustans have ...