Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANTS TO RICHMOND Academy teachers who park their cars along Russell Street. You make the lives of the people who live on Russell Street a living hell during the school year. With trucks delivering supplies to the school, buses picking up special students, and parents picking up their children, the traffic is three cars across this narrow street. This creates a very tight squeeze, which is dangerous.

HOW ABOUT A compromise for the new university name. How about Augusta Georgia Regents University or Georgia Regents University of Augusta? That should cover both.

SOUTH AUGUSTA USED to be very nice, but now it is such a rag. I do not care how many brick homes you put in that area, it does not amount to any value at all.

THE BOARD OF REGENTS thinks the new name is attractive to outsiders? I am a local and don’t want to attend. I am scared employers will think I went to an online college.

RANTS TO THE LAZY people who haven’t seen fit to take their new phone books in and have left them to be strewn around the neighborhood. Shame on you.

RAVES FOR THE YOUNG man standing on the corner of Belair and Columbia roads holding the Little Caesars Pizza sign. You are so entertaining to watch, my kids and I love when you are out there. Thank you.

RANTS TO THE unsolved January 2010 case of theft of $25,308.00 in public funds cash plus checks from the unlocked safe in the office of the Augusta tax commissioner.

STOP ALL THE talk about children out shopping or in restaurants misbehaving. Just because you think your child was a saint, what gives you the right to criticize mine? Most who complain don’t have children anyway, so don’t offer your advice.

A HUGE RANT TO the sheriff’s candidate who is not smart enough to know that we already give criminals second chances. It is called the First Offender’s Act.

A NEIGHBORHOOD IS only as good as the people who live there and take pride in it. If you want to stop the crime, turn in the crooks. Some people know a lot, but refuse to assist law enforcement in stopping crime. You can always be anonymous.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/15/12 - 06:33 pm
"Stop all the talk about children out

... shopping or in restaurants misbehaving." First, the column is called RANTS and raves- have someone explain the concept.

Second, there is no reason other than slothful parenting for the problem. My children were not saints, so I used an ancient parenting technique: I beat them. (Subsequently, as they were growing up they threatened me with being ratted out to Oprah or Dr. Phil.) I started out with Micky-D's; whenever they misbehaved, out they went, usually accompanied by a swat to the rump. At length, we moved up to Ryan's (the one on BJ). then later on to adult restaurants. You can ask my son about sitting outside while people were going out and coming in for their meal; we stayed for double dessert. Oddly, they both grew to normal --at least compared to their father-- adults with children born in wedlock of their own, working hard in responsible positions, paying hefty taxes.

It ain't nuclear science.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/15/12 - 06:38 pm
"Some people know a lot

...but refuse to assist law enforcement..." One moment that sticks in my memory is being on the scene as television covered a "community rally" berating the police for failing to solve a string of crimes. One of the chief cheerleaders against the police was a young man in a tee-shirt boldly lettered, "DON'T SNITCH."

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 08/15/12 - 06:42 pm
"Rants to the unsolved

...January 2010 case of theft of $25,308.00 in public funds..." I can solve it for you; this was a case of what is know in law enforcement circles as "inside job." Feel better?

Jake
Jake 08/15/12 - 07:34 pm
Children in restaurants

In most cases, if you view children misbehaving in a restaurant environment then they are just acting out the normal behavior that they do at home. It is obvious when you view parents that have a code of discipline in place as compared to the ones that are too lazy to enforce any rules what so ever. Unruly children are a product of clueless and self-centered individuals.

Jake
Jake 08/15/12 - 07:42 pm
Neighborhood rant

If your neighborhood is the target of crime and no one in that neighborhood is willing to help stop it then it is time to move to another neighborhood.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 07:43 pm
Dstewart, funny posts. And

Dstewart, funny posts. And poignant.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 07:50 pm
Jake, your point about it

Jake, your point about it being time to move when a neighborhood won't help stop crime is a metaphor for many things.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 08:16 pm
Getting Matt Aitken On Our Side With The Naming Controversy

Getting Matt Aitken to come out and support having Augusta in the name of the school is like having Eric Hinske as a pinch runner.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/15/12 - 08:31 pm
The Sheriff's Race Reminds Me of Willie Sutton

His famous line uttered when they asked him why he robbed banks was: "That's where the money is."

Look carefully at who each candidate's caretakers are and who he is aligned with and the type crowd each has for supporters. Why run for Sheriff? Ask Willie Sutton. As usual most in the media (except one reporter) are just getting to the Willie Sutton angle. I hope it's not too late.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/16/12 - 03:54 am
One thing we did with both

One thing we did with both our children when we were "grooming" them for being socialized...started when both were infants, actually...was to go to the restaurants EARLY. At 4 or 4:30, there's not an awful lot of other customers in the restaurant, so we could praise or discipline our kids without a bunch of "witnesses". And, to be honest, if our child did erupt in some way, as we were taking them outside for a "little talk", we would mention to the other adults "Sorry...we're working on manners.". I would say that the other adults ALWAYS would give us a smile or a "Oh, that's okay."...but we knew they appreciated it. See, the way we look at it, we're not just raising our children to be good adults, we're raising them to be good citizens and, ulitimately, good parents.

Trouble
Trouble 08/16/12 - 04:18 am
parenting

the only talk i have heard about children out shopping involves them bullying others (granted i could have missed something else) none of my children is a saint, but you dont have to be a saint to show common courtesy to people and not bully them. all it takes is having parents who care enough about their child to spend time with them teaching them how to behave in a civilized manner in public.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/16/12 - 05:40 am
dstewartsr......ditto, ditto,

dstewartsr......ditto, ditto, and you can bet your life it was an inside job.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/12 - 06:05 am
Hello good am ....about cell phones

Cellphone Etiquette

After a very busy day, a commuter settled down in her seat and closed her eyes as the train departed Montreal for Hudson.

As the train rolled out of the station, the guy sitting next to her pulled out his cell phone and started talking in a loud voice: “Hi sweetheart it’s Eric, I'm on the train – yes, I know it’s the six thirty and not the four thirty but I had a long meeting – no, honey, not with that floozy from the accounts office, with the boss. No sweetheart, you’re the only one in my life – yes, I'm sure, cross my heart” etc., etc.

In spite of the glares and frowns from other passengers, fifteen minutes later, he was still talking loudly, when the young woman sitting next to him, who was obviously angered by his continuous diatribe, yelled at the top of her voice: ”Hey, Eric, turn that stupid phone off and come back to bed!”

Eric doesn't use his cell phone in public any longer.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/12 - 06:47 am
Good am to all

Good am & happy thursday......
About kids misbehaving in public........mine were well behaved & didn't cause problems in public....I think like stewart thinks........& they have turned into well rounded adults.....& they can't tolerate bad kids in public either....
The really sad thing about that is.....the children suffer......you are doing a dis-service to your child by letting them show off--have tantrums---scream & etc.
When I think about our school system today I see the actions of a spoiled kid.......spitting & hitting a teacher were unthinkable in my day...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/12 - 06:46 am
double post

double post

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/16/12 - 06:49 am
Hinske

RM1, bet that had people shaking their heads or looking up Hinske on their search engine. ha.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/16/12 - 06:51 am
When it comes to your kids,

When it comes to your kids, nothing says "I love you" like a swat on the bottom.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/12 - 06:58 am
The rant said..

That breaks my heart....not just because that is my home area....my young years of life were spent in South Augusta....but some of that is true......but please remember.......when a section of the county is neglected for YEARS by the people & government you get this......can it change--you bet it can...but the people will have to demand their part of the pie---you will have to WORK with the police---clean up the crime in your neighborhood----STOP looking for others to make your problems go away.....keep your young ones busy with work/reading in the afternoons....
Jobs-jobs-jobs......that is what is needed most of all.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/16/12 - 07:04 am
G'morning posters and posers

If we are gonna have pintos and neck bones for supper I guess I should get the crock pot going. How does that sound for a good southern meal?

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/16/12 - 07:06 am
Dichto

My dad must have adored me...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/12 - 07:17 am
Naah RKill

Tha menu doesn't do it for me.....just give me baked beans w/onions....& some hot dogs......I will skip the neck bones...thankya veeery much though!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/16/12 - 07:18 am
JTF, It's Like Us Sports Fans Lead Another Life

JTF, I forget sometimes everyone is not a sport's fan.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/16/12 - 07:20 am
Stop Dissing GHSU

I saw where the ranking of the med school was said to be on the bottom. That's not true. Let’s not belittle our school. This year the US News and World Report ranks GHSU number 63 for primary care institutions and number 69 for research institutions. That’s ahead of Stanford, Georgetown, Florida, Oklahoma, Connecticut, Southern Cal, Maryland and about 100 other schools.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/12 - 07:24 am
Now

If someone on here won money last night---would they tell us??

Would they share with a good time for all----well maybe-----drinks & goodies & all that stuff.......hahah.......RM & CGee would ...I know them & how they think-:)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/16/12 - 07:31 am
From a Washington state newspaper

A man who tried to siphon gas from a motor home got a mouth full of sewage instead.

Police got an early morning call from the owners of the vehicle parked on a Seattle street, police spokeswoman Vinette Tishi said.

When officers arrived they found what looked like sewage and vomit on the ground. Nearby they found a man curled up ill next to a car.

Tishi said the man admitted trying to snitch some gas and plugged his hose into the motor homes sewage tank by mistake.

The motor home owner, from Bellingham, declined to press charges saying it was the best laugh he ever had.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/16/12 - 07:33 am
Sports Fans

We have a sad lack of sports fan around this forum. Too bad. Much more fun than politics. That was something about Melky Cabrera? After he torched the Bravos last month.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/16/12 - 07:35 am
GO Smoke

See, we do have sports fans here.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/16/12 - 07:36 am
OOPS

OOPS

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/16/12 - 07:44 am
If only

RKill....it would be sooo nice if all crooks got that kind of punishment when stealing gas....

other news...one of our used to be commissioners is in the news again....he had to resign a few years back when news came out he might have taken a $million dollar bribe....now we will find out more when this ends up in court......Kevin kenerly has gone from he high side of life to the depths of the other side...what a shame & a waste.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/16/12 - 07:47 am
JTF, remember how they kept

JTF, remember how they kept talking about how good Melky had gotten when we played them? Ha....kind of puts Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire in perspective.

RK, that does sound like some good Southern cooking. People would live a lot longer if they would get away from fast foods and keep all the fat in the pot. Don't believe these anti-fat, quiche eating liberals.

SeenIt, you got me pegged. I'd buy the drinks for all of us. I once got in a bingo game. Don't ask me how since I never play bingo. That's another story, but it was coverall and when G-57 hit, I won a thousand dollars. This was back around 1980 when a dollar meant something. Heck, I bought everyone around me and all the waitresses drinks. I had about $500 left. But what the heck, I left there feeling the love.

Mayor's race historic, controversial

Hardie Davis is still waiting to take office after winning a mayoral race that featured no white candidates and saw one of his opponents drop out the day before the election.