Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RAVE FOR the YES TSPLOST vote: Now the people who mismanage our tax dollars have more tax dollars to mismanage. Awesome.

THIS IS A RANT for Richmond County. How long do you leave that broke-down van in front of the Welcome Station?

OBAMA CLAIMS government is responsible for my success. That means government is also responsible for all our failures.

MY VOTE-REPUBLICAN-at-all-times philosophy backfired on me with Deal.

IT IS SO AMAZING how my white Christian friends’ true colors are showing since Obama was elected. They forget he had a white mother. I consider myself a Christian and I am white.

THE MATH I AND II scores posted for Richmond County indicate a total lack of teaching. The system has clearly failed its students.

A BIG RAVE to the Kroger stores for giving local teachers a bag full of school supplies on Tuesday. As a public school teacher, I often spend my own money on supplies. I am very grateful for this gift. Giving supplies to the teachers is a better use of resources as students tend to waste materials. Ask any teacher how many usable supplies are found in the garbage can at the end of the school year. Thanks again, Kroger.

I THINK DR. FRAZIER had done the best he could at Glenn Hills Middle School. If more parents were more involved in their children education and supporting the staff it would not be this difficult.

THE EFFORTS AND EXPENSES used just to name a “new,” merged college and med school are all about PR and have nothing to do with education. So, as spending goes up, learning drops. This ego-driven situation is so bizarre it could very well be controlled by the White House.

“GRU” FOR THE LATEST MCG name? Say it out loud a couple of times and listen. It sounds like a threatening insult growled by a caveman.

I LIVE IN NEITHER Georgia nor Augusta, but GRU for the merged schools is the most sophomoric choice I could ever imagine.

CHANGE THE NAME of MCG/ASU to Ricardo Azziz’s Downtown University. Doing so would solve many of the problems facing this
conniving and fickle-minded administration. The new name of this institute of higher learning will be grammatically correct, Azziz’s undoubtedly wounded ego can be amply massaged, and lastly, with a conglomerated university known as RAD U, the argument that Augusta needs to be more hip and cool is effectively dead.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 07:07 am
Yeh RKill

Trouble knows how to tune your radio...:):)

Great morning toya.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 07:22 am
Listen up guys

Women like sweet words...lots of them...learn to use them & you will be rewarded......just trust me on this.....

Just like this song says....now I have to ponder-wander-cook-clean-& tell my sweet GOB some sweet words......seeya later

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/13/12 - 07:34 am
High five to Kroger. Didn't

High five to Kroger. Didn't know they were going this, but sure glad I'm spending my money I with them.
As far as the white Christian with forgetful christian friends....all I can say is that the human mind can work in ways that are inexplicable.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/13/12 - 07:56 am
Speaking of musical ability,

you can play your calliope all you want, Roadkill. I'll just go play on the linoleum.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/13/12 - 09:00 am
#4

There was another choice, Karen Handel, but the South Ga homophobes and bible thumpers saw to it that Deal beat her in the primaries. I hope they like what they got.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/13/12 - 10:34 am
Yes SeenIt ... I could not

Yes SeenIt ... I could not wait for the sun to go down yesterday to start on book two of 50 Shades. I had to prop myself up on the sofa and pull out the Kindle around 2:00pm. I'm an impatient girl :)

I think it should be REQUIRED reading for all men ages 18-50 ... and only over 50 if you are not on heart meds or have a nitroglycerin tablet ready! Lol ... I've already told my husband that I want him to read it!

Men need to KNOW and LEARN the difference between fantasy and reality in a woman's mind. Although there may be some women who are into that kind stuff that is in the book; for most women the "mental" part and talking is better. Take note guys (this is not true for all but most) "men are into the physical and women are into the emotional"

This is why I love to read more than I love to see a movie made from a book ... MY imagination is waaaaaayyyy better than ANY movie interpretation of any book I've ever read!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/12 - 10:57 am
Interesting that there's a

Interesting that there's a book out, Unconquered, about cousins Jerry Lee, Jimmy, and Mickey Gilley. I've often marveled at the Southern poor boy cousins who made the bigtime. Amazing family.

I drank a beer once with Jerry Lee at Folly Beach, SC. But I'll never forget remarks Jerry Lee made on TV one time when asked about Jimmy. He said the last time he saw him, he backed up a pick-up to his Arkansas house to borrow the family piano. He said he never saw Jimmy or the piano again.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/13/12 - 11:13 am
Egads

"men are into the physical and women are into the emotional". But, the game is coming on for chrisss sake!!

Jane18
Jane18 08/13/12 - 11:51 am
R&R #5

Soooooooooooooo, what are you saying? How many times are people(as this ranter), going to have to hear, "it is not Obama's color" that makes some of us not like or trust him. In fact, he is 50% white, approximately 7% African, and get ready for this, approximately 43% Arab. This comes from his Dad's records. Check it out!! If he, Obama, happened to be my favorite color(green), I still would Not like or trust him!

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/12 - 11:49 am
Charleston has hired a woman

Charleston has hired a woman to be their Fire Chief. I wonder what percentage of women are firefighters?

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/13/12 - 11:58 am
Sweet son
Sweet son 08/13/12 - 12:21 pm
Finally Signed Up for Full Access.

Is Rants and Raves where the girls visit daily? I have enjoyed their banter. And seenit, I too remember the Lewis Family, the Parade of Quartets, snowy pictures and all of the good things that jake mentioned. I personally would go back in a minute to the simpler life but it just doesn't work that way.

allhans
allhans 08/13/12 - 12:54 pm
I heard this morning that

I heard this morning that Romney can take the female vote from Obama if they will slip in a photo-op of Ryan with his shirt off. Some kinda abs, they say.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 12:58 pm
HUGE RANT

for the Georgia Department of Labor. As most of you know I have not worked the last month due to a medical condition that prevents me from driving. (things are much better now and I should get the ok from the doc to return to work on the 20th) I was denied unemployment because I am on a leave of absence. Hey idiot, read the letter from my company that states I can not drive at this time. Then read your own regulations that say if your hours have been cut you qualify for unemployment benefits.

I consider myself lucky that this is the first time in my life I have needed unemployment. But it really ticks me off after paying taxes since I was 16 that they come up with a BS reason to deny me. Appeal has been filed.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 01:00 pm
Sweet son

we have some very beautiful ladies who show up here daily. Now the bad news... they are all taken.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 01:05 pm
Most of you know my feelings

Most of you know my feelings about our Emperor. Even I had misgivings about the birthers. Watch the first 30 seconds of this video then tell me what you think.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/13/12 - 01:34 pm
They are EVIL

RK ... same thing happened to me in September 2008. My position was eliminated and I received severance for 4 weeks so I was ineligible for UI ... then the next month I had surgery and was not allowed to work for 13 weeks until released by my OB/GYN. I was penalized for those 13 weeks because I could not say that I was "physically" able to seek employment. So I went 17 weeks without income. I ended up having to pull all of my profit sharing out and was penalized for early withdrawal AND taxed by the IRS before receiving a dime. Think about the people who do not have that option of pulling their retirement. We could have lost our house and everything if not for my profit sharing. Then it took me 11 months to even find a job that paid enough to make it worth my time, etc. to leave my house. Crazy world.

I have worked since I was 15 years old and never collected anything from ANY government entity EVER! It really makes you mad as hell.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/13/12 - 01:38 pm
RK 12:58

Do you really want me to tell you using non-PC as to the reason you were denied unemployment? I think you already know.

dwb619
dwb619 08/13/12 - 01:41 pm
un-employment

Isn't one of the questions "ABLE and available"?
Were your hours cut because you were not physically able to drive?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 01:47 pm
dwb

yes to the unable to drive, but I am able to do anything that does not require a CDL.

dwb619
dwb619 08/13/12 - 01:52 pm
Can you appeal?

Can you appeal?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 01:56 pm
Yes, appeal filed today.

Yes, appeal filed today.

dwb619
dwb619 08/13/12 - 03:04 pm
appeal

Hate to say it, but it seems to be more of a disability claim rather than unemployment.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 03:22 pm
More shootings

Now in Texas ...I wish we could come up with some mind bending pun ishmnent for this....sorta copycats...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 03:23 pm
Thanks to Ms Eyes for this...

the problem with political jokes is they get elected.
~ Henry Cate, VII

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.
~ Aesop

If we got one-tenth of what was promised to us in these acceptance speeches
there wouldn't be any inducement to go to heaven.
~ Will Rogers

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed
by those who are dumber.
~ Plato

Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where
there is no river.
~ Nikita Khrushchev

When I was a boy I was told that anybody could become President; I'm
beginning to believe it.
~ Clarence Darrow

Why pay money to have your family tree traced; go into politics and your
opponents will do it for you.
~ Author Unknown

Politicians are people who, when they see light at the end of the tunnel, go
out and buy some more tunnel.
~ John Quinton

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor and campaign funds
from the rich, by promising to protect each from the other.
~ Oscar Ameringer

I offer my opponents a bargain: if they will stop telling lies about us, I
will stop telling the truth about them.
~ Adlai Stevenson, campaign speech, 1952

A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country.
~ Texas Guinan

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to
realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.
~ Ronald Reagan

Instead of giving a politician the keys to the city, it might be better to
change the locks.
~ Doug Larson

Don't vote, it only encourages them.
~ Author Unknown

There ought to be one day - just one - when there is open season on
Senators.
~ Will Rogers

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 03:28 pm
sweetson

I'm glad I'm not the only one old enough to remember tthe singers on sunday morning years ago...I also remember a lady who talked about Jim Walter Homes......she was very very country & I can still see her in my mind....Little Roy was always entertaining...with the Lewis Family.

Yeh sometimes the wimmen folk come on in the am hours & chit-chat...but we don't spit & chew like the guys...lol---we don't dip snuff either...hahah....

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 03:36 pm
New Female Fire Chief

Well here she is RM...she looks pretty tough to me....1st female chief for Charleston...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 03:47 pm
OK sweetson, we have

OK sweetson, we have beautiful ladies pop in in the afternoons too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 03:56 pm
10 thumbs up

FOR ROADKILL!!!!

have to pop out again...

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/13/12 - 04:11 pm
Disability

This has become the REAL problem.

The amount of people who apply for STD (short term disability) for being out of work for less than a week to less than a month. Do you have any idea the time it takes for the medical staff or physician to fill out the numerous papers involved in STD when MOST of the time the patient could actually go straight back to work for their little boo-boo? Well I do know because I am swamped with the paperwork each and every single week. I have NO problem filling out paperwork for someone who has had a MAJOR surgical procedure and cannot get paid unless this documentation has been properly filled out and turned in but when you have someone get a less than 1cm cyst or mole taken off of an extremity and they want STD paperwork and want to take a week or two off work; it gets ridiculous.

Does anyone else on this earth besides me remember when you went to the doctor for your immunizations, a sports physical or only if you had a limb hanging off? You never went to a doctor for a common cold? And if you were at the ER at any hospital you were on your last breath of life?