Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THIS IS A RAVE FOR the YES TSPLOST vote: Now the people who mismanage our tax dollars have more tax dollars to mismanage. Awesome.

THIS IS A RANT for Richmond County. How long do you leave that broke-down van in front of the Welcome Station?

OBAMA CLAIMS government is responsible for my success. That means government is also responsible for all our failures.

MY VOTE-REPUBLICAN-at-all-times philosophy backfired on me with Deal.

THE MATH I AND II scores posted for Richmond County indicate a total lack of teaching. The system has clearly failed its students.

A BIG RAVE to the Kroger stores for giving local teachers a bag full of school supplies on Tuesday. As a public school teacher, I often spend my own money on supplies. I am very grateful for this gift. Giving supplies to the teachers is a better use of resources as students tend to waste materials. Ask any teacher how many usable supplies are found in the garbage can at the end of the school year. Thanks again, Kroger.

I THINK DR. FRAZIER had done the best he could at Glenn Hills Middle School. If more parents were more involved in their children education and supporting the staff it would not be this difficult.

THE EFFORTS AND EXPENSES used just to name a “new,” merged college and med school are all about PR and have nothing to do with education. So, as spending goes up, learning drops. This ego-driven situation is so bizarre it could very well be controlled by the White House.

“GRU” FOR THE LATEST MCG name? Say it out loud a couple of times and listen. It sounds like a threatening insult growled by a caveman.

I LIVE IN NEITHER Georgia nor Augusta, but GRU for the merged schools is the most sophomoric choice I could ever imagine.

CHANGE THE NAME of MCG/ASU to Ricardo Azziz’s Downtown University. Doing so would solve many of the problems facing this
conniving and fickle-minded administration. The new name of this institute of higher learning will be grammatically correct, Azziz’s undoubtedly wounded ego can be amply massaged, and lastly, with a conglomerated university known as RAD U, the argument that Augusta needs to be more hip and cool is effectively dead.

Jake
Jake 08/12/12 - 07:23 pm
Kroger

This is the second Kroger rave in the last couple of days. It sounds like what they are doing is very helpful for the local teachers. Go out and support Kroger since they seem to be supporting teachers.
State funding of schools is inadequate. The state will do the basics but much of what teachers require comes out of their own pockets.
Gosh, I remember back in the Richmond County school system from 1960 that at the first day of school you gave your teacher $1.25 to cover the costs of crappy pencils and crappy lined paper that looked like it had been recycled from Sears&Roebucks catalogs and toilet paper.
Back then the school lunches cost $1.25 a week or $.25 a day. Depending on your school you got basically "home cooked" meals made from scratch. The ladies (Mrs Howard & Mrs Morris) who cooked for Sue Reynolds were top notch chefs as far as I am concerned. The highlight was when they did Chicken or Turkey Pot Pie in those big aluminum pans set over the steaming water. And it was also a treat to drink ice cold milk from those little glass bottles that had the paper wrapper and stopper on them with the little hole to put the straw in.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/12/12 - 09:15 pm
Jake

Too bad those memories cannot be brought back, paper and all :>)

bclicious
bclicious 08/12/12 - 09:32 pm
In response for RANT to RCSO on van at welcome station

To answer your question of how long: GA law says 7 days for public property and 30 days for private property before law enforcement can have it towed.

I know, I know . . . your welcome.

Jake
Jake 08/12/12 - 10:04 pm
Nostalgia

I am a very nostalgic person. I tend to like the way things used to be instead of the way they are now. I actually had no gripe with black/white TV. Back then it was a victory if you just got a signal much less a few programs that came in clear. The old man was forever on the roof with the antenna or with the rabbit ears trying to get the "ultimate picture" which usually ticked us off as we were trying to view wrestling or the great Sunday show "Parade of Quartets". Augusta has a rich heritage of performers that are sadly forgotten. Leroy Lloyd & the Swinging Dukes, Mickey Murray, Little Genie Brooks, Leon Austin, The Zippers, Cadillac (drummer), Henry Howard and the Spirits of Harmony, The Lewis Family, The Byrd Family, Brenda Lee, the list goes on and on. Be proud of your musical heritage Augusta because it is a very rich one.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/12 - 02:03 am
Let's look at this rant

"IT IS SO AMAZING how my white Christian friends’ true colors are showing since Obama was elected. They forget he had a white mother. I consider myself a Christian and I am white."

The comment has lots of color and declarations that others are not behaving in Christian ways. Somehow he relates this to his belief they are forgetting Obama had a white mother. But I'm glad the person considers himself a Christian and lets us know he is white for whatever reason. You can't make this stuff up.

wildman
wildman 08/13/12 - 03:42 am
Thanks

Thanks to Augusta Amusements, Inc. for bringing Keb' Mo' to Evans, great show. Blind Willie folks need to see if they can book him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 03:48 am
Jake

said,,

I have to agree jake....I remember the greats too......so many & esp. the Lewis Family on the weekends....amazing history of music in Augusta..

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 03:51 am
Question

Does the Riverman ever sleep....does he even need sleep......is he human......naahhh

Good am CSRA......troublemakers of all kind & good am to ksm who I'm sure is still reading 50 Shades & can't put the dang thing down....lol..I feel your pain..

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/12 - 04:10 am
Comparing Paul Ryan to Joe Biden

Comparing Paul Ryan to Joe Biden is like comparing the federal budget to the Ludowici gas bill for the lone police car.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/12 - 04:11 am
50 Shades

Why have all the women I know read 50 shades?

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/13/12 - 04:14 am
Ranter #4.........I don't

Ranter #4.........I don't think I would have been happy with Barnes either but I do admit that it was a "hold your nose" vote. Politics has gotten so mean and so polarized that the best people will not even run. We get stuck with a choice between has beens and wanabes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 04:14 am
About the runoff

Some sp folks seem a little ticked that there is a runoff pending...well duh....what did yall think....that your man would run in first like greased lightning....sorry folks....
There is grumbling from the crowds......they wanted a choice.....you can't ram the rod but just so far & then they cough up the blood....why oh why are you amazed a black candidate (with a masters degree btw) has a chance......
Freddie has a great chance...he would make a great Sheriff....btw....I see most of the dissatisfaction in Richmond county coming from the neglect the south side has felt for a LOOONG time....you can't fool all of the people all of the time..

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/13/12 - 04:16 am
Speaking of sleep.....zzzzz,

Speaking of sleep.....zzzzz, I need some if I'm going to continue to save the human race. How's that for delusions of grandeur? Later.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 04:29 am
50 Shades

The man in the book is a fantasy of sorts....he gives more than he wants in return......he is naughty but also full of love to the right woman...some say..
Today's world is constantly sending us mixed messages about women's sexuality. Churches and schools teach that sex is supposed to be sacred yet sex sells everything from web domains to hamburgers to car parts. Watch TV and movies and you know that only thin beautiful people are sexually desirable while the rest of us rot in a corner. Meanwhile, debates about contraception that we hope to use to support our sex life are happening without our input.

This book adds spice to life.....something a woman needs.

Trouble
Trouble 08/13/12 - 04:46 am
hmmmm

could someone please explain the point to this rant?

im not sure if they are for obamas momma or against her, and what difference does that make?

Trouble
Trouble 08/13/12 - 04:49 am
morning all

bclicious, i was wondering the same thing about the van in front of the welcome center, thanks for clearing that up. but i really thought that if it was on a public road, they only had a couple of days to remove it or it would be towed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 04:58 am
Good am trouble

I'm surprised a family hasn't moved in to the van......in these parts someone would be in it...with a tv with all the sports channels..:)

trouble ...when will you write a juicy sex novel..?

Trouble
Trouble 08/13/12 - 05:04 am
morning seenit

maybe that is why it has not been towed, it has gone from abandoned van to occupied home.....had not thought about that...

sex novel.........not sure the world is ready for that just yet.....lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 05:06 am
The rant says

Well wait just a sec.....it takes a good home life---interest in the child---do you take the child to the library.....park....study at night & read with your kids.....give them exercise.....after school activities.....I have always felt a child learns more from the parents in each & everyday life happenings.....& reading.....the best thing you can do for your child is give him an interest in books...imho.

corgimom
corgimom 08/13/12 - 05:10 am
Seenit, there is something

Seenit, there is something really wrong when a child has had years of math instruction and 91% fail a test.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 05:12 am
corgi

I agree....but that is all over this country....sooo what has changed in the last years.......we knew we had to study......it just wasn't an option at my house....many kids in my family but homework had to be done & pronto.....

corgimom
corgimom 08/13/12 - 05:14 am
As for "50 Shades of Gray",

As for "50 Shades of Gray", no thanks, not for me. Doesn't sound like something that I would want or need to read or that I would find "entertaining". Ugh.

corgimom
corgimom 08/13/12 - 05:16 am
Being married to Mr. Corgidad

Being married to Mr. Corgidad provides all the spice in my life that I want or need. And as for rotting in the corner- um, not this girl!

corgimom
corgimom 08/13/12 - 05:17 am
Now, Seenit, go get that book

Now, Seenit, go get that book Unconquered, about Jerry Lee, Jimmy, and Mickey- you'll like that a lot better.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 05:18 am

It certainly is not a Gone With the Wind book.....but when you are over 50 some need the thrill of fantasy....can't expect to get all of my thrills on here.......:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 05:23 am
I will

I will try that book......I'm geting my posts in early today because I have 6 books/magazines waiting for me today.....I never could understand why some can't enjoy a good book.....my GOB can't sit still long enough to read a book......I like Mickey Gilly--Jerry Lee & even Swaggart & his singing/piano.......amazing talent that family has.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 05:29 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 08/13/12 - 05:57 am
Some of RMs best posts are on the back pages....here is one

Democrats Won't Present Budget

Paul Ryan on the ticket puts the focus on the economy and debt. Democrats will use the same lying scare tactics on him, but the truth is the Democratic Senate has not adopted a budget resolution since April 29, 2009. They won't present a budget because they know cuts have to be made and they don't want to make them. They know cuts of any kind anger their base of dependent people. Whoever heard of a Senate that won't even present a budget?

Yep....we need a budget.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 05:59 am
Just so you know...

I am an accomplished musician myself. I will put my skills at playing a radio up against anybody.

And good morning all.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/13/12 - 06:05 am
Kroger

Makes me glad I have started shopping at Kroger again. With the budget crunches the schools are facing now, how about starting school in September? It worked fine when I was in school. Just think of the savings in utilities alone. A month of not using the air conditioner, which my elementary school didn't have any way.

w00t...turn it

Storm brings heavy rain, property damage reported

The National Weather Service in Columbia says the threat of severe weather has left the Augusta area, but not before leaving behind some property damage Sunday.