Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE TO THE ANGEL in a pink shirt at the Bobby Jones Walmart who, without hesitation, helped someone in a time of need and stress, I want to say thank you. Know that it will be paid forward as soon as I am able to do so again. You restored my faith in humanity today. I pray that many blessings will find their way to you. God bless you.

DR. FRAZIER HAD TO return to the Alternative School. Mrs. Cobb got to be the principal of Richmond Academy. She was not the principal of any secondary institution. She was the principal of an elementary school. Mrs. Beasley is moved from the principal of Laney to work at the board and then quietly moved to a school below the secondary level. The Richmond County Board of Education is not fair! Dr. Roberson is back, but they seem to still be suffering from a lack of leadership.

BEING CRAZY SHOULD not be a defense to avoid the death penalty. If a person gets caught red-handed by dozens of witnesses, most of whom have cellphone or other types of cameras, that person should forfeit all legal defense and be turned over for sentencing.

YOUR EDITORIAL SAYS the Georgia Lottery must be run like a business to get more money for scholarships. Generally, that editorial makes sense, with one exception. The whole lottery thing is still a mobster’s numbers racket. End the absurd lottery. It gives more money to politicians while it encourages gambling against ultra-long odds. Look at your state representatives and senators who support the Georgia Lottery. Now look again and ask if they look anything like Al Capone.

I HAVE ATTENDED several funerals in the past few months, and these are a few of my observations: 1. People do not stop and pull over for funeral processions. 2. Shorts and flip-flops are acceptable attire. 3. Just because a funeral has a set time to start – you can come and go whenever. 4. Crying newborns and infants are welcome. 5. The shorter the dress the better. Where has respect gone?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 08/08/12 - 08:48 pm
Funerals

Living in Grovetown and using Wrightsboro, I average twice a week pulling over for a funeral cortege; this same has happened recently on Belair and Columbia roads as well. I'm not sure where the ranter is living, but not pulling over is not the norm here.

I, too, have attended too many funerals. My take on shorts, mini's and flip-flops: Not for me, but at least they made it. Crying babies? They give me a feeling of continuity, a reminder of the cycle of life.

corgimom
corgimom 08/08/12 - 10:14 pm
If you can't be bothered to

If you can't be bothered to put on decent clothes for a funeral, to show respect to the family for the enormity of what has happened, a life has ended and there has been a terrible loss- then why bother to go? Shorts and flip flops- are they stopping in on the way to the beach?
It turns a solumn, sacred ritual into a casual event. It signifies that the person attending is so unconcerned that they can't even be bothered to put on nice clothes. It is totally disrespectful. I've seen people turn up in blue jeans at funerals, when I KNOW they own better clothes, I've seen them.
I don't go shopping in a swimsuit. I don't wear shorts and flip flops to a wedding or a job interview. I don't wear an evening gown to Bi-Lo. Clothing is part of the funeral ritual. I dress for a funeral. If you can't dress up for a funeral, then when do you?

Jake
Jake 08/08/12 - 10:14 pm
Ditto

I am with dstewartsr on this issue. When I "buy the farm" and have a memorial service, since I will be cremated, I will not care what anyone shows up in. Kids can be crying, dogs can be barking, women can be laughing, and creditors can get in line. I won't care, in fact I would welcome it. I insist on a party in my honor so everyone can lie about how good I was.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/08/12 - 10:49 pm
Funerals

My Dad had a saying "Be good to the living and you won't have to cry after they are dead" - Still true and always will be. They will be in a better place for sure! Respect is lacking in so many places these days, including funerals - sad, slowly sinking world.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/09/12 - 01:15 am
I love it Jake

Seinfeld read a study that said people's #1 fear was public speaking. #2 was Death. ?????
DEATH was number 2!
What this means is that if go to a funeral you're better off in the casket than giving the eulogy!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/09/12 - 07:03 am
Rants to SeenitB4

Where is that girl this morning? Anyway hey Y'all. Hope everybody's doin dang swell!

saltine
saltine 08/09/12 - 07:48 am
respect

You can't have "respect" for anyone if ,you have, None yourself.Self respect and morals went out ,with the :babyboomer generation.People now are so self intitled, they can only be "bothered"if there is nothing else to do.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/09/12 - 07:59 am
Dress

Well, I hope I don't have to attend a funeral anytime soon. I don't own the apparently required suit to wear.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 08/09/12 - 08:06 am
Memorial

... services are a great idea. Last year I attended a memorial in Atlanta given for and by a former conductor, teacher, and mentor. The catered food was excellent as was the wine. There was a slide show of his life and many whose life had been made better by knowing him had an opportunity to say so in public. It was a dress affair; the cream of the South's music was in attendance; performers, composers, conductors. At the end an appeal was made for donations to fund a music scholarship in his name which raised north of ten thousand. That's the way to be remembered.

As someone whose voice and music abilities had the nuns chipping in for beer money so I'd miss music class, the one thing that was difficult to relate to this group when asked was my own contribution to music. At length, I settled for saying I was in charge of filling the angelic chorus with asian voices for several years. Odd looks, but no one dared ask for elucidation.

happychimer
happychimer 08/09/12 - 08:53 am
good morning everyone. where

good morning everyone. where is seenit?

BamaMan
BamaMan 08/09/12 - 09:08 am
Funerals

No one said you had to wear a suit to a funeral. But the understanding of "appropriate attire for the situation" has definately gone by the way-side. I'm no fuddy-duddy, but there is a way one should dress for funerals, and yes, church, which has been the discussion lately. It's not "Jesus doesn't care what you wear", it's showing respect. I think Jesus deserves our best. Shorts, etc to church and funerals is not showing respect. Not for anyone else, and not for you, and for pete's sake show less skin. Again, no one said you have to wear suits, but as posted earlier, this isn't the beach. Dress appropriately, show respect. Webster's definition: "suitable for a particular person or place or condition". Thank goodness I haven't been to a funeral lately that people didn't pull over (which didn't happen for years, but thankfully has begun again), or wear flip flops and shorts. "Course, this is only my opinion, but I assure you I will show you respect and not show up in beach attire.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/12 - 09:18 am
How sweet it is...

I have been picking flowers in other fields as of late.......how sweet they are.....yall must think SM pays me....hahaha.....
Naaah...I probably give him headaches sometimes......when the cows come home....the crops are gathered ....etc etc... & the Sheriff releases me.....I'll be back.....:) thanks guys.....:)
These handcuffs hurt ....a taser does too....:)

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/09/12 - 09:20 am
Don't know happychimer

Maybe we should send out a possee!
Dstewartsr-Nuns chipping in for beer money so you'd miss music class. Well that is funny as HELL!
F4ather Time- Exactly! Great post my friend!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/09/12 - 09:21 am
Seenitb4

I knew you'd show up right after I got a possee together!
How you is Be?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/12 - 09:40 am
I bees fine

What cha mean...the posse is in jail with me....trouble-rkill-cgee-rm-rebel & of course the ringleader KSM!!!

She is talking with the Judge trying to get our release.....lordy lordy....we might be in here all winter!!!

talk to ya later guys!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/09/12 - 10:39 am
" that person should forfeit

" that person should forfeit all legal defense and be turned over for sentencing."

Good morning, folks!

So this poster does not believe in due process! How about we turn the tables, and make you responsible for every infraction of law you ever commit, and see how you feel about facing your accusers without an attorney?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/09/12 - 10:48 am
Many thanks for the wonderful

Many thanks for the wonderful welcome, my Friends! It's great to be back with you all. Your friendship means more to me than you can possibly imagine! God bless you all for being there for me!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/09/12 - 10:53 am
Dishonest Campaign Advertisements

Liar, liar, pants on fire! If Mr. Obama condones outright lies in his campaign efforts, why should he be trusted to head the greatest Nation on earth?

corgimom
corgimom 08/09/12 - 11:08 am
Personal responsibility

"and make you responsible for every infraction of law you ever commit,"

I'm an adult. I AM responsible for every infraction of law I ever commit. So is every other adult. Why would anyone think otherwise? Who else IS responsible? That's why I don't commit crimes, I am responsible for my behavior, and I don't want to have to deal with the problems that go along with bad behavior.

Personal responsibility.

*********************************
Seenit, I have a great book. "Unconquered" by J. D. Davis, a biography of the cousins Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Swaggart, and Mickey Gilley- you KNOW that's a good one.

I also heard Joe Stampley sing "Double Shot of My Baby's Love" on the radio the other day, it was painful...but not as bad as Porter Wagoner singing "Feelings", Whispering Bill singing disco, or Dolly Parton and Tommy James (he of the Shondells) singing a duet of "Crimson and Clover", I've heard all of those too...

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/09/12 - 12:00 pm
Mornin Sarge!

And Willow and CG and Roadkill and Corgi and BamaMan and everyone else!

bigclaude
bigclaude 08/09/12 - 12:28 pm
Funerals

I remember speaking with a guy who had just come here from LA a few years back. He had been riding with a friend the previous day and when the guy suddenly pulled over he wondered what in the world was going on. When he asked his buddy about it the reply that he received was, "funeral."

Apparently if you tried that in LA then you would be run over, so be thankful that you live in an area of the country where someone may actually still pull over for a funeral.

I will be the first one to pull over for a funeral but don't shoot me if I take off before all of the cars have passed. Since there are so many cars with daytime running lamps now it is hard for me to tell where the funeral stops and normal traffic begins.

dwb619
dwb619 08/09/12 - 01:28 pm
procession

I once had a working buddy from Pennsylvania. He overtook and passed a funeral procession entering Aiken on Whiskey Road. He told us that two City of Aiken policemen were waiting on him where Whiskey narrows to two lanes. They pulled him onto side street, explained "southern tradition", and let him go, at the end of the procession.

john
john 08/09/12 - 01:57 pm
up north

Took drivers ed in NH. It was custom/law to allow funeral processions through intersections, but nothing about stopping when they are coming from the opposite direction. I freaked out the first time not knowing what was going on. Looking for an ambulance or something with flashing lights.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/12 - 02:09 pm
Man pleads guilty to beating girlfriend with dog

Posted: Aug 09, 2012 6:04 AM EDT Updated: Aug 09, 2012 11:28 AM EDT

Sandy Springs police: Man used dog to beat his girlfriend

FULTON COUNTY, GA (CBS ATLANTA) -
A Sandy Springs man admitted to killing his girlfriend's dog and used its body to beat her.

Sandy Springs police said Andrea Jill Armintrout, 40, was beaten with the body of her Pomeranian after getting into a fight with her boyfriend Emmanuel Alfredo Tadeo, 28, at Foxcroft Condos on Roswell Road on May 19.

Tadeo, 28, pleaded guilty during plea proceedings Thursday morning to aggravated assault, aggravated animal cruelty, animal cruelty and battery.

Armintrout told police Tadeo kicked and beat her during the argument as it escalated. Police believe the dog rushed to the victim's defense and was also kicked and beaten, and was later taken outside and killed.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Shawn LaGrua, who presided over proceedings, accepted Tadeo's plea, but withheld sentencing until the defendant can undergo a psychological evaluation. A sentencing date has not yet been determined.

Tadeo faces a maximum of 20 years in prison for the assault and up to five years on the animal cruelty charge

Now this man nweeds the mud slapped out of him & then put in jail...

corgi..that sounds like a good book...next time I ck books I will look for that......

ksm says a big shout out to Cgee-RM...she is on an island right now building her boat ....she hopes to get back in time for the run off election........maybe one of the candidates will come out & help with that boat.....hopefully someone with a masters degree & knows how to build.......they are probably busy putting out their signs all over the place......freddie "might" help out ----or send you a new boat with bells & sirens.....oh how he likes noisy fire trucks.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/12 - 02:29 pm
dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 08/09/12 - 06:55 pm
Handling cellphones in church

... video. Please, lefties and atheists don't watch.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/09/12 - 07:27 pm
A good one stewart...:)

When you read the news sometimes do ya think common sense is just out of reach....

Commission rejects tax jump

Seven commissioners nixed a proposed tax increase Monday that would cost a typical homeowner $70 a year, leaving the countywide millage unset with just a few days to meet state deadlines.