Teen neighbor helps save life of child in house fire; father dies

Monday, Aug 6, 2012 7:57 AM
Last updated Tuesday, Aug 7, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Follow Metro

A 19-year-old is being hailed a hero after he pulled a 4-year-old girl from a house fire Monday morning.

Back | Next
Felande Ross, 19, stands in front of the window he broke to help save a 4-year-old girl from a house fire on Meadowgrove Drive. "All I could see when I went in was black smoke," he said.  EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
Felande Ross, 19, stands in front of the window he broke to help save a 4-year-old girl from a house fire on Meadowgrove Drive. "All I could see when I went in was black smoke," he said.

“I just thank the Lord for his courage and his quick thinking and reaction,” said Vickey McKie, who watched her son, Felande Ross, pull the child from the house at 3620 Meadowgrove Drive around 3 a.m.

A man inside the home did not make it out alive, but Ross said it was not for a lack of trying.

Richmond County Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald said the fire department was called at 2:47 a.m. after two children, a 7-year-old girl and a 9-year-old boy, were awakened by a fire alarm and ran to Ross’ home across the street for help.

When Ross stepped into the street, no one was around, but smoke was coming from the home.

“When I heard there was a child inside, I started pulling the (window) screen off,” he said.

The house was already full of smoke when Ross entered through a window. He left and re-entered the home several times, yelling for the child and her father. Although he could hear the girl, he said he was walking blind.

A man whom neighbors identified as Miller Jenkins answered Ross’ calls for help and climbed in through the window to help Ross pull the girl to safety.

McKie said Jenkins is not from the area and disappeared shortly after the child was recovered.

“I’ve never seen him before,” she said. “I just call him an angel.”

After the child was safe, Ross said, he re-entered the home in a final effort to help the child’s father, but he left when the roof started caving in and he tried to attack the fire from the outside with a water hose.

“He is a witness and a true-life hero,” McDonald said of Ross.

Firefighters arrived and found the body of an unidentified black man in the kitchen.

“It appears he was cooking something,” McDonald said. “The fire appears to have originated in the kitchen; more specifically, on the stove.”

The coroner’s office is awaiting medical and dental records to identify the body. Neighbors identified the man as Saxon Wash­ing­ton.

McKie said she knew the family well.

“All of us are really close,” she said. “He loved his children.”

McKie said Washington’s wife was at work when the fire began.

Comments (10)

Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
beboisme
425
Points
beboisme 08/06/12 - 08:46 am
2
2

Didn't the childeren know who

Didn't the childeren know who the man might have been? Sad for the victim, but so happy for the chlderen and their hero.

soapy_725
43306
Points
soapy_725 08/06/12 - 09:59 am
0
1

woke a fire alarm

Unpublished

at their home at 3620 Meadowgrove Drive???

pommom38
1496
Points
pommom38 08/06/12 - 11:19 am
3
0

Next of Kin

I guess under the circumstances, they must follow procedure instead of childrens word.
Thankful for the hero, and that the home had a working fire alarm!!
Bravo to the two kids for not panicking and seeking help..

HAD ENOUGH
13
Points
HAD ENOUGH 08/06/12 - 12:18 pm
1
0

NOW THAT'S A HERO, GOES TO

Unpublished

NOW THAT'S A HERO, GOES TO SHOW YOU THAT FIRST RESPONDERS AREN'T ALL THIS COUNTRY HAS,HEARTS GO OUT TO THE VICTIMS.
MILITARY,POLICE AND FIREMEN GET TO MUCH PRAISE FROM PEOPLE.
AMAZING JOB MR. ROSS GOD BLESS YOU FOR THE SYSTEM WON'T BECAUSE YOUR NOT CONSIDERED A FIRST RESPONDER. BUT YOU CAN BET WE THE PEOPLE WILL.

saltine
281
Points
saltine 08/06/12 - 02:53 pm
4
0

angels

sounds like there were TWO angels ,there

TrulyWorried
9889
Points
TrulyWorried 08/06/12 - 03:18 pm
3
0

Felande Ross

is a hero in my eyes - God bless him! He could have just stood there and "watched". It makes one feel good to know that there are people that care! What a sad ending though in the long run, with the father of the children having died. My condolences and prayers to all family members. And a huge BRAVO to Felande and Miller Jenkins, wherever he might now be.

paperhearts
99
Points
paperhearts 08/06/12 - 03:37 pm
2
0

True Hero

So happy this young man was honorable enough to sacrifice his life to save another, thankful He and the child made it out alive. I am praying for the Washington family as they deal with this loss. The mysterious man that helped save them, only God know who he is, be it angel or man, thank God nontheless.

HighSociety
1840
Points
HighSociety 08/06/12 - 09:01 pm
2
0

This man is a hero! You would

This man is a hero! You would be surprised at how many people stand by and do nothing during a crisis.

KSL
106299
Points
KSL 08/06/12 - 11:03 pm
1
0

A lot of people did the right

A lot of people did the right thing during this incident. How wonderful. Condolences to the family who lost a loved one.

Tullie
2930
Points
Tullie 08/07/12 - 06:29 am
1
0

Brave Young Man

Took a lot of courage to do what he did especially at his age. I bet he did not think twice either :)

He and Miller Jenkins should be commended.

SPARKSTER83
259
Points
SPARKSTER83 08/07/12 - 09:57 am
1
0

MR. ROSS YOU ARE AN ANGEL AND

Unpublished

MR. ROSS YOU ARE AN ANGEL AND A HERO, GOD PUTS EVERYBODY IN A CERTAIN PLACE AT A CERTAIN TIME FOR A REASON.GOD BLESS YOU.

anotherlook
64
Points
anotherlook 08/07/12 - 11:45 am
0
0

Three children not two

There were three children in the fire. Two were taken to the home of a neighbor/friend, while the third, a four year old, was hospitalized for smoke inhalation and the mother was with the child at the hospital. They have nothing. Is there anywhere donations are being accepted? My church will be giving gift cards.

FireSafetyUSFA
2
Points
FireSafetyUSFA 08/07/12 - 01:58 pm
0
0

I’m so sorry to hear about

I’m so sorry to hear about victim killed in this home fire. Cooking can be dangerous if the food is left unattended. To prevent this from happening to you or your loved ones, take a look at these safe cooking tips: http://1.usa.gov/wPKLHn.

Back to Top

Loading...