Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

GOD DOESN’T LOOK at the outside of men; he looks at the inside of a man. That being said, it does not really matter what one wears to church as long as it is decent. Jesus wore sandals and a robe. Are you going to condemn him also?

RAVES TO THE OWNER and operator of the Glenwood Community Pool. It is beautiful, well-maintained, affordable and open to all.

THIS IS A RAVE FOR the customer who called to cancel my Internet service repair visit but still invited me over for some coffee and coffee cake. What a nice guy! I wish all customers were that friendly.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY Board of Education is the worst of all good old boy systems. People get promotions and raises based entirely on who their friends are or what sorority they belonged to. Institutionalized incompetence. Shameful.

CAN YOU IMAGINE A world with no lawyers? No frivolous lawsuits making everything go up, no iceberg legal assistant, no lawyers in D.C. and none of them becoming judges and screwing up the Supreme Court.

THERE ARE TOO MANY people in Augusta who water after 10 a.m. and before 4 p.m. because they do not know any better. The water bill provides a Web address to find the watering hours and car-washing days.

RANTS TO THE PERSON who commented on what a person was wearing to church. Shouldn’t we be more concerned about their souls instead of shorts and flip-flops?

ALL THAT RUBBER you see on the side of the road are not trucks having flat tires. It is recapped tires off of these semis.

RAVE TO DOCTORS Hospital 5West. Ms. Griffin is caring and pro­fessional and goes the extra mile for her patients.

A BIG RAVE FOR the citizens of Richmond County who graciously donated food at Kroger on July 21. The Salvation Army and Richmond County deeply appreciate your generosity. Raves to the citizens of Columbia County, too.

WE DO NEED GRASS police, otherwise known as code enforcement officers, because people who take care of their property are sick and tired of seeing their property values go down because people are not taking care of their property. Cut your grass at least in the front yard.

rebellious
20630
rebellious 08/07/12 - 10:28 am
So.......Lori

Let me get this straight! Lori Davis has decided not to run in the District 1 Commission race, against a white man, because the racial divide still exists. Unless a person of color files before noon tomorrow, that contest would be between two white people! What am I missing here? Someone enlighten me. So is she saying racial politics would get in the way of a white against white campaign. I still say, look for Lori's appointment to a community laison position if SP is elected Sheriff.

David Parker
David Parker 08/07/12 - 10:41 am
86 years young. Fillin up

86 years young. Fillin up coolers with pan fish. Hope i make it there despite a feeling I have about my middle sixties. As a precaution, I'm going fishing more.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/12 - 10:47 am
Rebel, William Fennoy is

Rebel, William Fennoy is running in District 1.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 10:54 am
Davie P, you are like a fine

Davie P, you are like a fine wine, age will only make you better.

I had the awesome privilege of speaking on the subject of ageing last night. I've never spoken before a more "beautiful audience".

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/12 - 11:11 am
That 86 year old guy was

That 86 year old guy was sharp. Told me about his former business, too. And remember I said he DROVE away in his SUV. I could deal with that kind of aging.

rebellious
20630
rebellious 08/07/12 - 11:13 am
Oooops

Thanks you Riverman. I need to go back through the Evelyn Wood speed reading course.

To quote Rose Roseanna Danna - "NeverMind"

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/07/12 - 11:25 am
i feel like dropping a

i feel like dropping a metaphorical bomb. endorsements have price tags? wonder if Sheffield will answer to this?

Monday afternoon, Anderson's campaign announced that the fourth candidate, Maria Sheffield, has endorsed Anderson for the August 21st runoff.

When we asked Rick Allen's campaign for its stament on the endorsement, Campaign Manager Scott Paradise made a stong accusation, "While we would've welcomed the endorsement of Maria Sheffield, we chose not to meet the $50,000 price tag. Over the next two weeks, we'll continue to focus on the stark difference between Lee Anderson, a career politician that voted just last Tuesday for the highest tax-hike in Georgia history (T-SPLOST) and Rick W. Allen, a conservative businessman who will never cast a single vote for higher taxes."

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/12 - 11:27 am
Omnomnom, you know that is a

Omnomnom, you know that is a dang good question. I let that slip past. What is that $50,000 about? Can anyone explain?

On another subject, when will today's BOR decision on the school name be released? Isn't about time?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/07/12 - 11:38 am
Campaign Debt

I would guess that the $50,000 is a donation to her campaign to help her pay off her debt. It probably is more common than one would think.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. If the check is cut to her campaign fund, it is entirely legal. If the check is cut to her personally, well, that would be questionable.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 11:35 am
River, when I read your

River, when I read your comment, I thought of Carleton Duvall. He will forever be one of the handsomest men I have ever met. Even my daughter agrees with me on this one.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/12 - 11:40 am
LL, I've heard of that

LL, I've heard of that practice, but I didn't realize it happened in Congressional races???

Willow, Mr. Duvall is a treat, and you are right, he fits the bill of aging in a distinguished and graceful way.

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 08/07/12 - 11:49 am
RANT #4 I HAVE LIVED HERE ALL

RANT #4 I HAVE LIVED HERE ALL MY LIFE AND I KNOW FOR A FACT GETTING A JOB IN AUGUSTA GA. HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT WHO YOU KNOW NOT WHAT YOU KNOW.I HAVE HEARD THIS FROM ALOT OF PEOPLE OVER THE YEARS,SO IT IS NOT ONLY ME THAT FEELS THIS WAY.AS A MATTER A FACT THE JOB I AM AT NOW FOR THE LAST TEN YEARS WHICH I LOVE BY THE WAY.WAS GOTTEN BECAUSE I WAS GIVEN THE HEADS UP BY WHAT???? SOMEONE I HAVE KNOWN ALL MY LIFE.

harley_52
harley_52 08/07/12 - 11:50 am
LL

Mrs. Harley and I were discussing the $50K "donation" requirement earlier this morning. Neither of us knows enough about it to understand whether it's typical, or extraordinary.

Whichever it is, it sounds sleazy.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 11:51 am
I believe Lori Davis will do

I believe Lori Davis will do good in anything she sets her hands to. Augusta would do well to benefit from her energy, commitment and concern for law enforcement.

I hope any candidate would have ideas that included her long time efforts. Lori has a proven track record of speaking her mind while remaining respectful. I really admire her so much for that and so many other qualities.

harley_52
harley_52 08/07/12 - 11:54 am
Carleton Duvall....

....is a gentleman and a wise one at that. I've never met him in person, but I'm sure he looks like Paul Newman and is as witty as Riverman.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/07/12 - 12:03 pm
Riverman, I was hoping you'd

Riverman, I was hoping you'd be the man in the know. I'm not sure what form to look up for that zinger. Barrow is going to cream Lee if he makes it through the primary. Oddly enough, I don't mind that one bit.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/12 - 12:17 pm
Harley, go start a war

Harley, go start a war somewhere so I can join your battalion and follow you into combat. I want you writing my OER's.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/12 - 12:21 pm
Omnomnom, well, we did throw

Omnomnom, well, we did throw it out. We'll get some discussion and some Chronicle folks will pick up on it, too. Let's see what happens. I've heard of presidential candidates dropping out and the other campaign paying the expenses, but Congressional candidates around here?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 12:35 pm
Well, Harley, now that you

Well, Harley, now that you mention it, I've both both men and they are both handsome........

That Paul Newman was quite the looker. Gotcha, River!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 12:40 pm
Okay, change that first

Okay, change that first "both" to "met" This iPhone is going to get me into real trouble.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/07/12 - 12:54 pm
U bothed em?

Is that legal in Ga., willow?

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/07/12 - 01:04 pm
RIVERMAN they are streaming

RIVERMAN they are streaming the regents meeting live starting at 1 p.m. in the Student Activities Center.

omnomnom
omnomnom 08/07/12 - 01:04 pm
at ASU / Harvard on the Hill

at ASU / Harvard on the Hill / AC / whatev

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/07/12 - 01:29 pm
Thanks Omnomnom. If anyone

Thanks Omnomnom. If anyone down there is reading this, post comments for us.

Willow, join the crowd. People "gotcha" me all day long, night too.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 01:40 pm
I doubt it, jtf.

I doubt it, jtf.

harley_52
harley_52 08/07/12 - 03:08 pm
It's Official....

"Regents" is the new name.

Isn't that sweet?

The voice of the people (and the taxpayers) is ignored once again.

harley_52
harley_52 08/07/12 - 03:10 pm
"People "gotcha" me all day long...

...night too."

What a man!

I could never keep up.

harley_52
harley_52 08/07/12 - 03:11 pm
"I doubt it, jtf."

I don't. Next thing you know there will be a parade and a celebration for it.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/07/12 - 03:36 pm
Heh, Heh

:-)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/07/12 - 04:06 pm
Ya not going to like this news either

In the AJC

Augusta & Dalton Ga.. lead the NATION in job losses...yeh NATION...
(in the past year)....Dalton lost about 4600...Augusta lost 4300 jobs.....funny we don't hear countyman on that...sad news really...

Also Gwinnett county (largest school system in the state) is expanding its online school to include more students....Gwinnett Online Campus....way to go & this has been predicted by some on here.....it is coming soon to a place near you....:)