Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

CHICK-FIL-A Appreciation Day was amazing. The number of people at the Evans restaurant was enormous, and cars were backed up as far as you could see. It was very evident that the “boycotting” scheme was a total failure.

AS FAR AS I’M concerned, all those who went to Chick-fil-A on Wednesday are bigots. Someday when they’re done with us, they will find a way to stop something you love or care about. On that day I hope you remember your lunch today because in a small way, you helped make it happen.

I WAS IN THE LONG line at Chick-fil-A, and when my mom and I ordered our food, to my surprise the young lady at the window told us that the car in front of us paid some on our meal. I would like to say a big thank you to the person in front of us. Because of the act of kindness you showed us, I turned around and showed it to the car behind us. God bless you.

RAVE TO THE CATHY family standing up for their beliefs and exercising their First Amendment rights. The Constitution states that we have freedom of religion and freedom of speech. If you do not like a person’s opinion and views, then so be it and vice versa.

MIKE HUCKABEE’S name should enter history alongside of Charles Boycott, but as the direct opposite. Whenever right-thinking people want to shatter a rotten PC endeavor, all we need do is organize a “Huckabee.”

DID YOU SEE THE traffic near the Chick-Fil-A on Washington Road on Wednesday?

KUDOS TO ALL WHO supported the Christian marriage values of the owner of Chick-fil-A by eating at the restaurant Wednesday. There are a lot of us who believe that marriage is a union between a man and a woman. It’s been that way for centuries. I don’t think we are going to evolve into any other interpretation.

A RAVE FOR CHICK-FIL-A employees. They got organized and got the job done despite heavy traffic, well-organized and everyone was very hospitable despite the increase in customers on Wednesday!

THIS IS A RAVE for Mike Popplewell, who ran for the District 121 state House position. It says a lot about him that after the election was over, he personally went out and picked up all his campaign signs. He didn’t leave them out.

Riverman1 08/02/12 - 08:43 pm
Whoever does the Olympic TV

Whoever does the Olympic TV ratings for NBC must be the same one who does their Obama presidential polls. I don't believe either one.

Riverman1 08/02/12 - 08:48 pm
Hooters needs to ban Chipper

Hooters needs to ban Chipper Jones. If they don't he may have to play till he's 60 to pay all the alimony and child support bills.

Jake
Jake 08/02/12 - 09:04 pm
Fowl

I'm sure there has to be more going on in the CSRA than Chick-Fil-A, no?
First Friday is happening tomorrow, yes?

Riverman1 08/02/12 - 09:34 pm
First Friday, Jake

If I were in charge of the police detachment downtown tonight, I'd have them go there ahead of time and lay out firing lanes, scout the high ground and fortify positions. Bring in some artillery to surround the area, too.

Riverman1 08/02/12 - 09:37 pm
How can Democrats even use

How can Democrats even use the "hit the Pentagon strategy" to get Republicans go along with extending spending? It's like they believe only conservatives are protected from the evil empires in this world and not the liberals. They would be sorely mistaken and may get it when they were told to line up.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/02/12 - 09:39 pm
FF

Grab a few of the cannons from ASU, huh River? The old tank from Pendleton King Park & the one at Highland Ave & Walden Dr too? Lol.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/02/12 - 09:51 pm
Mastermind at work ... do not disturb!

Good night RM1 ... I have to get up early in the morning ... axes to grind ... daggers to sharpen ... blueprints to draw up ... evil plots just don't make their selves up! Ttyl

Riverman1 08/02/12 - 10:05 pm
Yeah, Karen, me too

It's time for me to get some serious sleep. Sleep is under rated and I never criticize anyone for napping or sleeping late. Research is showing it's extremely important for your health.

Jake
Jake 08/02/12 - 10:26 pm
Good ol' Sarge

I was able to talk to Sarge today and he sounds really good. I told him he sounded younger on the phone that what his age indicates, which is true.
He has a leg brace now instead of a cast which is going to be more comfortable for him. His spirits are good which is one thing necessary for recovery. He also shared a minor setback in another area but, again, he is very upbeat. I only hope if I ever have to go through what he has I would be as positive.
When folks are fighting for their lives, politics and opinions on issues don't mean a thing.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/02/12 - 10:58 pm
I just cannot see how anyone

I just cannot see how anyone could think that marriage could be anything but between a man and a woman. Bravo for the values of the owners of Chick-Fil-A.

KSL
KSL 08/03/12 - 04:42 am
Why do they insist that it be

Why do they insist that it be called marriage? What is wrong with "civil union" which gives them the same rights they say they are fighting for?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/03/12 - 05:00 am
Gay Rights

Give them what they want. Along with the property disputes, custody battles, alimony, etc that straight people deal with.

Personally I do not agree with gay marriage, but who am I to tell someone how to live their life. I will admit I sit on the fence on this issue. I will neither condemn nor condone their lifestyle.

Now more to the point. It's the same one I mentioned yesterday. When was Mr. Cathys first amendment right to free speech taken from him? Maybe I should remind some of my fellow posters that if their opinion doesn't agree with mine then they are wrong and that is the end of discussion.

Riverman1 08/03/12 - 05:03 am
RK, Poly Marriage

What about if three, four or five people want to be married. Isn't that their right, too? If we are going to say marriage is not between one man and one woman, where do we stop?

KSL
KSL 08/03/12 - 05:17 am
Give them their civil union

Give them their civil union and all the legal problems along with it. They deserve it along with the rest of us. I am just sick of the in my face.

Of course that could be the way I was brought up. NO PUBLIC DISPLAY OF AFFECTION.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/12 - 05:21 am
When do you folks SLEEP?? heheh

Good am & happy politics....
When can we get poly husbands....3 or 4 to a woman.....hahah......don't really think I can deal with more .....cleaning now takes up most of the day...
About Chick Fil A.....yes I went yesterday to do my part.....but mainly it was because the man has the RIGHT to speak his mind.....I don't have to agree 100% for HIM to have that right.....If we can destroy every thought we don't agree with ....well hello concentration camps...

Riverman1 08/03/12 - 05:23 am
Gays Demo Today at Chick-fil-A

Today the gays are counter attacking there with a kiss in. This could get interesting. Maybe they should close the restrooms today. I can see the National Guard being called out to Chick-fil-A's all over the country.

KSL
KSL 08/03/12 - 05:23 am
PDA for short. My high school

PDA for short. My high school practiced that to the hilt. You were not allowed to touch a person in any way. That meant of the opposite sex. Back then gays were still in the closet.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/03/12 - 05:23 am
Actually polygamous

Actually polygamous relationships work quite well in other parts of this world. But again marriage or civil union should be between 2 people. That is my opinion.

KSL
KSL 08/03/12 - 05:29 am
I figure a GT grad will get

I figure a GT grad will get this right. They have a problem today not really of their making.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/12 - 05:29 am
KSM

I don't think ya really need to sharpen anything...you are sharp enough now....:)

Your sense of humor is the only thing that matters....imho....& you do have a great one.

Riverman1 08/03/12 - 05:39 am
Why only two people?

Three people can love each other, too, right? They want their relationship to be validated with marriage? Don't they have their rights? Yada, yada, yada :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/12 - 05:39 am
The reason I like Rebellious....his post says

He doesn't mince words...

If Anything

The suburban and rural areas should pay lower taxes than the old city, and maybe they do. But for the increase to be greater in one area than another, when redevelopment dollars are being dumped into the city faster than a drunken sailor can spend a paycheck, I mean [filtered word]? And on top of that, we have taxation without representation. The 8th district commissioner spends more time downtime eating breakfast than he does with his constituency. Kroc Center, Tee Center, St Sebastion Flyover, Riverwalk, Amphitheater, let's see what else we can spend our money on downtown. The dumb masses in South Augusta will pay the tab. Meanwhile, our 2 commissioners are mum. Makes me sick to my stomach.

Oh and how much is slightly more than a tiny bit.

Riverman1 08/03/12 - 05:41 am
Redistributing Wealth From Suburbs to Cities

There’s a new book out called Spreading the Wealth: How Obama is Robbing the Suburbs to Pay for the Cities by Stanley Kurtz. The theme is that Obama and the Democrats come up with measures to take money from the Republican suburbs and redistribute it in the Democratic Party run cities. This is so representative of Augusta-Richmond County.

It’s not only through taxation, it’s done in other subtle ways while at the same time moving the inner city residents out to the suburbs. Large expenditures are done in the cities using money largely generated in the suburbs. School spending is directed in the city although the tax money is generated elsewhere.

Methods to artificially bring people into the city are constantly being promoted with organizations such as downtown development authorities being funded at the expense of middle America living in the suburbs. It all comes from the playbook of the Democrats' community organizers. Wake up Richmond County

Riverman1 08/03/12 - 05:42 am
Ha..followed SeenIt's Post Perfectly

How's that for timing, SeenIt?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/12 - 05:42 am
Freddie & Rebellious have a lot in common...

They both speak their mind....& are not afraid to do it....doesn't matter what group they are in btw..

:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/12 - 05:45 am
River

Your timing has been perfect in the last months...:)

I just hope "some" don't find a way to float your behind DOWN the river...
better watch your front-back & in between...

Riverman1 08/03/12 - 05:48 am
I'm An Equal Opportunity Trouble Maker

When all the people I tick off come after me all I have to do is duck and let them shoot each other.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/12 - 05:49 am
Good am RKill & KSL

Great to seeya ...I wonder what Cgee is up to this am...

Riverman1 08/03/12 - 05:52 am
But just like you said Rebel

But just like you said Rebel said, it is stealing from the suburbs. This book hits on exactly what's happening all over the country and ESPECIALLY IN AUGUST-RICHMOND COUNTY with the redistributing of wealth from the suburban middle class to the Democratic run cities that are crime ridden.

For example, First Friday is going to take lots of police protection and I'm sure the county is footing much of the bill.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/03/12 - 06:00 am
The sad thing about south Augusta

Many have written off that part of town...what they are forgetting:: there are many fine-upstanding-working men & women there..
They want a good neighborhood---a safe life---good jobs--clean area--they pay taxes .....just listen in some of their posts on here.....they are BEGGING for relief......
Politics pass them over....I know some of these folks....btw FSanders lives in the south side ......when will the people put people in office who can make a difference... I hope soon.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...