Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I REALIZE IT’S NOT Masters Week, but will someone please cut the grass on Bobby Jones Expressway?

A BIG RANT FOR the house in the Glenwood subdivision with the dead pine tree lying in your front yard since Memorial Day. It not only endangers every other pine tree in the neighborhood to pine beetles but it also is just plain ugly.

I VOTED FOR NIKKI Haley based in large part on her campaign promise to work more closely with the Legislature than Sanford had. I now regret that vote.

EXPLAIN TO US disabled veterans just how it is that Columbia County veterans will receive a reduction in their property taxes and we Richmond County guys are stuck with the same old exorbitant rates.

BIG RANT TO ALL the cigarette smokers out there who still flip their butts onto the streets and into yards. I support your right to smoke, but not your right to litter. Use the ashtray in your car, please. If you’re out walking and smoking, take a small baggie of sand and dispose of your cigarettes as you walk, then throw them away when you get home.

THERE COULDN’T BE a better name than the University of Augusta. That says it all. Everybody knows where Augusta is thanks to the Masters Tournament. That is the only natural name to use. I am all for it.

THIS IS A RAVE FOR Helen Minchew on the Board of Education for Richmond County. As Garrett Elementary School parents, we would like to thank you for all your hard work in helping to get the Arts Infusion program back at Garrett.

A RANT TO THE gutless wonder who hit-and-ran me on my motorcycle last month. It’s one thing to be careless, cause an accident and be big enough to take responsibility for your actions. It’s a whole other story when you’re a coward and basically leave someone for dead at the side of the road.

GANGS GROWING IN Augusta are like deadly vermin. The only way to get rid of them is to eradicate them completely. If Augustans don’t have the guts to do what’s necessary, Augusta is in perilous times.

THE RANTER SCOFFING at the “grass police” needs to live a summer next door to a lazy, indifferent neighbor. I’m sure we would see them recant.

Jake
Jake 08/01/12 - 08:45 pm
Hit and Run

Maybe it's because reporting and information access is so readily available but it seems to me that hit and run is more common now than stopping and taking responsibility used to be.

Jake
Jake 08/01/12 - 08:50 pm
Cigarette smoking

Cigarette litter is indeed a problem. I think long term cigarette smoking must cut off oxygen to the brain and thus you have inconsiderate slobs who will dump their butts where ever they want to. Of course there are mindful smokers who don't always do that.

Jake
Jake 08/01/12 - 08:55 pm
Disabled Veterans

I think Disabled Veterans should get everything they are entitled to. I don't care who they are, they have received their disability in service not only for their country but especially for YOU.
On that note, I hope Sarge is hanging in there and remembering that he is not forgotten here.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/01/12 - 10:21 pm
Sarge

is now out of his fox hole and climbing the hill. He has a goal to be home in 2 weeks. Knowing him, he will do it, I pray.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/12 - 02:49 am
Grass

The rant says

Don't make me come down there & cut that grass.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/12 - 03:02 am
Good am CGee

Great to hear sarge could be going home soon....good luck to him..

Good am posters...I dreamed I was in a tornado last night...well sorta....but anyway maybe I can get back to sleep...might need some Enya music for that though...

here ya go....just as good

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/12 - 02:56 am
Rant says

I have to agree...ya gotta nip it in the bud...once they start marking their area there is no turning back...they will spray paint you if you are standing nearby..

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/02/12 - 04:48 am
Chick-fil-A Symbolizes Mainstream America's Outrage

This Chick-fil-A massive protest over the country is the first shot at Bunker Hill. We are going to take back this country from the oppressive government come November. Conservatives are going to turn out in historic numbers and give us a landslide victory.

Please start right here in the CSRA and get us a good candidate to unseat John Barrow. Since McLeod was beaten I believe it has to be Rick Allen now. Anderson just isn't up to the task.

Give me a chicken sandwich and keep the change.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/12 - 07:01 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/12 - 07:33 am
Chick Fil A

We are going to start with a small chicken sandwich ...but this train is going all the way to WASH-ING-TON...
We have HAD enough!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/02/12 - 10:07 am
G'morning posters and posers

Gangs, gotta stop 'em now if anybody can. There was an article last week I think showing the national affiliation of local gangs. Arm yourselves before it's too late.

Chick-fil-A.... just when did Mr. Cathy loose his first amendment right. He nor Chick-fil-A discriminate against gays. The man just stated an opinion. Many opinions I see right here daily I don't agree with but it is still your right to voice it.

Disabled vets.... some of us do need a little help now and then. Right now I am on a forced 30 day vacation, with out pay, due to my condition. I should get the OK to return to work when I see my doctor again on the 20th. Yes, I do have disability insurance which will pay after two week. But I will still go two weeks without any pay. So yes, many of us do really need these breaks.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/02/12 - 08:05 am
Posted

many times..WAKE UP AMERICA

Yesterday made my day knowing that True Americans have and delivered a sleeping pill to all the Ameba humans walking amoung us.

Now I only hope and pray that all True Americans are fully awake come November.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/02/12 - 08:17 am
Mancave??

Rebellious said he had a mancave (whatever that is) & he will be ready to party come November....so RKill-CGee-River-KSM- & a bunch of good ole boys ......Trouble.....& good ole gals too....get ready.....the solid Republicans are getting ready for the finish line....we are turning this country right side up again....

seeyall later...

strib1
strib1 08/02/12 - 08:17 am
bikes and chicken

some bikes won t the whole road and are sometimes are reckless , not all but some.... went 20 miles wed to get a chic dinner. and will support them when i can!!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/02/12 - 08:38 am
GM

just said their car sales are down over 6% but they are on track to have the most profitable year in history. You have to wonder how this is possible. Then you remember that the Emperor gave them a few million. If the Emperor would give me a few thousand I would have a pretty good year. Buy a Ford, they didn't take any money and are still profitable.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 08/02/12 - 08:40 am
How many CFA sandwiches were

How many CFA sandwiches were given to the poor?

How many customers still had hate in their hearts as they ate?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/12 - 08:42 am
SPLOST

If you folks think the DOT is going to cut the highway grass more often just because you voted in the new sales tax, you've got another think coming.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/02/12 - 08:50 am
Commerce

Henry asked:

How many CFA sandwiches were given to the poor?

Giving fast food sandwiches to the poor is the worst thing you can do for them. CFA is serving society by creating commerce. Working, self-denial, saving, investing are what leads to moral societies. Commerce is what leads to prosperity. Dependency and hand-outs are what leads to moral decay and societal ruin.

harley_52
harley_52 08/02/12 - 09:31 am
"Why can't we support love

"Why can't we support love and peace in the community the same way we support CFA?"

Because whiney liberals won't let us.

harley_52
harley_52 08/02/12 - 09:33 am
If You Think...

...the SPLOST you voted in will EVER go away, you've got another think coming.

harley_52
harley_52 08/02/12 - 09:40 am
"Nothing Is...

...so permanent as a temporary government program."

Milton Friedman

harley_52
harley_52 08/02/12 - 09:39 am
How Many...

...CFA sandwiches did YOU buy for the "poor" yesterday, HenryWalker3rd?

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/02/12 - 09:42 am
SeenIt, RM, Reb, CGee, and others

Just dropping by to say "Good Morning" as well ... too much to do today to chat ... hold down the fort ... SeenIt I got the memo about that MANCAVE too! It has all the makings of one super fun get-together ... whoop whoop :p

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/02/12 - 10:02 am
To the downers

on the GM rant. It isn't my fault if the truth hurts.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/02/12 - 10:04 am
Good Morning Harley, Jake, CG

Good Morning Harley, Jake, CG , RK, River, F4ther, LL and especially Sarge. What a gorgeous day.

allhans
allhans 08/02/12 - 10:37 am
My belief is that SPLOST was

College kids ..Is summer over...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/02/12 - 10:19 am
LL

Thanks for accurately answering Henry's question.

allhans
allhans 08/02/12 - 10:40 am
If Henry had went to a Chick

If Henry had went to a Chick Fil A and asked for food to eat, I promise him he would have been gifted with food by more than one good Samaritan in the crowd.

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/02/12 - 10:41 am
I'm still waiting for someone

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the majority black districts in RC so strongly voted in favor of TSPLOST so that they could pay more sales taxes and send $63 million dollars to OTHER counties. Did they fall for the "man's" advertising or what? Or did their leadership lead them astray for unknown reasons? The vast majority of the state of Georgia was smart enough to see through this scheme and flatly rejected it. So what was the mental challenge in RC? Now the rest of the state will spend OUR share of the STATE GASOLINE TAX while WE will take money out of our local economy and DONATE it to surrounding regional counties...and all to pay for something that we are already being taxed to pay for. What were they thinking?

I'd like to personally apologize to Columbia, Glascock and Lincoln counties for the voters in Richmond County that forced you into this DOUBLE TAXATION. I personally do not believe this "poof, we've majically created an unelected, regional government to tax you AGAIN" is legal anyway so I would wish you all luck if you get a team of lawyers and blow this whole thing out of the water. It's certainly not your fault that you happen to live in smarter counties that were arbitrarily put into an illegally created regional govenment entity that unfortunately included the laughing stock county of the state and it's easily led, non-thinking voters. We, of the RC districts who voted against TSPLOST, sincerely apologize to you for what rest of our county did to you. We hope you take actions to overturn it and wish you luck if you do.

Mother of newborn left in car to face possible indictment

Richmond County Civil and Magistrate Court Presiding Judge H. Scott Allen ruled at the conclusion of a preliminary hearing for 20-year-old Alicia Manigault that her case would be bound over to a ...