Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A CITY MEETING about the First Friday shootings included some genius wanting “to get positive PR about downtown.” It works the other way. First, a civilized Broad Street, then good PR follows.

DID THEY NOT consider the acronyms before announcing the final three name choices for the new school? Georgia Arts and Sciences University would forever be known as GAS-U.

I APPRECIATE THE crime map The Chron­icle is offering, with a big thank you to the Richmond County Sher­iff’s Office for providing it. I hope they will be able to continue it and keep it up to date on a weekly basis. Sort of makes one keep on guard.

CAN ANYBODY EXPLAIN why gas prices go down in pennies, but go up in nickels, dimes and this week, a quarter?

RAVES TO WILLIE Peterson, of Harlem. He paid for my breakfast, and I am grateful that someone can be kind to a senior citizen. God bless you and your family today.

YOUR PICTURE OF the father and child in the fountain should be entered in a contest. It shows a young man spending time with his son and the love that is between the two.

RAVE FOR Augusta Cares. Thank you.

HOORAY FOR THE Boy Scouts for standing by their policy and their principles.

WE WOULD LIKE to thank the angel, a warrant officer, at the Fort Gor­don commissary for paying for my husband’s groceries. We don’t know his name, but we really appreciate what he did. This happened July 18 at 4:45 p.m.

I REALLY LIKE to go to the downtown farmers market. It has good vegetables, good tomatoes – they even sell coffee and plants. But if First Friday gets mixed into the farmers market on Saturday, a lot of seniors are not going to go because we don’t want to go to a place that is not safe.

HOLLYWOOD HAS taken a moral decline on the value of marriage. There is no value in a marriage in Hollywood. Those people out there are sick. They marry for money. They don’t marry for love. They don’t even know what love is.

A HUGE RAVE to Rick McKee on his political cartoon – seeing the encouragement of a great president, Ronald Rea­gan, as opposed to our president of today.

Jake
Jake 07/31/12 - 09:49 pm
Rant #11

Hollywood is not the only place that has taken a moral decline on marriage. Every city has folks that marry for the wrong reason. Just look at divorce statistics. Sometimes things don't work out like you would like. This coming from a person who has been previously married.

Jake
Jake 07/31/12 - 09:51 pm
Rave #6

The other day someone was ranting about this photo claiming it was showing a half naked person with his child. Duh! If you are going to hold your child in a fountain to get wet then logic would say to take off your shirt.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/31/12 - 10:56 pm
The downtown Farmer's Market

The downtown Farmer's Market is safe. Quit being paranoid for no reason!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/31/12 - 11:01 pm
A sad state of affairs....

Roundtree and Anderson in runoffs. Neither are qualified for the posts they seek. Ignorance abounds.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 05:34 am
True anotherday..

But at least there is one qualified....

Way to go FREDDIE!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 05:42 am
It takes guts

It really takes guts to run in a political race.....they take a lot of insults--threats--on air stabs....& on & on....
Hey---almost like on here---hahah

But I dare anyone to come & poop in my yard!! Go to RMs & do it----much closer...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 05:52 am
Party Time fo sho

What a hot Sheriffs race....now let us try to be civil on here...hahha..

Just wondering---how many new posters have come aboard since the race started...$$ for AC...

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 06:02 am
VOODOO ON HERE!!

Come & get it----right here---come one come all...

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 06:03 am
G'morning posters and posers

I have been to the farmers marker several times. The majority of thugs are sleeping or running from the sheriff at the time the market is open.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 06:10 am
POSER

poser1
n
1. a person who poses
2. Informal a person who likes to be seen in trendsetting clothes in fashionable bars, discos, etc

So that is what a poser does :)---good am RKill

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 06:19 am
Fashionable? Trendsetting?

Well I guess I am today. Dressed very classy, black jeans AND black t-shirt. Don't tell me rednecks don't know how to dress.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 06:29 am
Voter ID

With all the fuss about voter ID laws and "people don't have a way to get an ID" Well how the heck do they get to the polling place. You have known for how long the yesterday was voting day and you couldn't find anybody in the last 6 months to take you to the DMV to get an ID card. But you can get an ID card to take advantage of food stamps and other government programs. I am getting confused again.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 06:29 am
hahah

I bet trouble dressed you in THAT!

I hope your tests come out ok RK...good luck getting rid of the pain.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 06:38 am
Voter ID continued

Since everywhere you can register to vote has a computer, why not attach a camera to said computer and have the photo put on your voter registration card? Sounds simple enough to me.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 06:33 am
Pain

It has lessened the last few days. At least it has gotten back to a tolerable point.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 06:49 am
Seenit started it

In my opinion the best country artist ever... again that's my opinion

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 06:55 am
Yea Conway!!

One of my fav too RK..but sooo many Jones-Ole Hank--Cline-Reba-G Watson-Merle-Toby--on & on ...

RM...now that was FUNNIE!...he said..

If Peebles loses, I'm famous

If Peebles loses, I'm famous wearing my little "Riverman" name tag at the party, sipping the free liquor and hugging the second cousin groupies of the winner. If Peebles wins, I'm taking the long way around through Burke County to get to work and driving 45 mph all the way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 07:00 am
RKill

Do you notice how many new posters we have coming on.....I hope they stay & hang with us.......we could use some new thoughts--ideas--funnies---& some of these guys seem to have PLENTY!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 07:11 am
Some will stay some won't.

Some will stay some won't. All are welcome, even the ones I disagree with as long as they keep it civil. Does anybody know anything about RCR? Used to have some great discussions with him.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 07:15 am
What about

What about retired army....some have faded away but at least Brad is back with bells on too....I think the new blood on here stirred him again........politics can bring out the ugly & sometimes the good....

Taking a break...I'm hungry for some eggs...

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/01/12 - 08:12 am
Gas

"why gas prices go down in pennies, but go up in nickels, dimes and this week, a quarter?"

Because it usually goes down based on the reality of the supply and demand. But when it goes up it is usually based on panic, fear, and speculation. Our stupid domestic energy policies and stupid EPA policies on buidling new refineries create a perfect market for fear based speculation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/12 - 09:15 am
"Home" page screwed up???

Anybody else having trouble today with the AC? I'm getting a weird screen for the "home" tab and don't see the R and R's anywhere? Just me?

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/01/12 - 09:27 am
SeenIt, et.al.

I'm still here! I bet they thought they got rid of me ... :p

My parents took me with them to the Bell Auditorium when I was a little girl to see Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. My daddy L-O-V-E-D Dolly ... something about her having "great assets" ... if I said the rest Sean would blush and ban me for life :)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/01/12 - 09:28 am
With the home page covered

With the home page covered with political headlines you can expect it to be screwed up

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/01/12 - 09:28 am
River mine did the first time

River mine did the first time I tried to pull up the AC this morning ... some crazy looking page but it was fine the second time I tried.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/12 - 09:34 am
Mine is still acting crazy.

Mine is still acting crazy. But I can find a backdoor way to get into everything. I wonder how I fix this? I'm on a desktop.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 09:38 am
Haha

Now KSM...do you see why I like to post with the guys?? :)

I saw that country music show at the Bell...Conway & Loretta---Jones & Tammy---Porter & Dolly.....boy it was a goodum...
I heard from Rebellious this am....he is moving on with new plans & a new man to support...yall can guess :)

We all have our fav. --that is life ---mine won't change.....I will be with Freddie all the way...
I have a lot to do---so will see ya in the pm.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/01/12 - 09:39 am
River, I just exited

River, I just exited completely out of the AC website and manually typed www.augustachronicle.com and it took me in correctly.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/12 - 09:39 am
Mine too

AC fix this theeeeng...

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.