Motorcyclist killed on Gordon Highway

Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:16 PM
Last updated 9:31 PM

One man is dead after his motorcycle crashed near Gordon Highway and Peach Orchard Road late Friday.

Pierre D. Thompkins, 26, was driving his 2006 Suzuki GSX east on Gordon Highway about 11 p.m. when he lost control, according to Richmond County sheriff’s Capt. Scott Gay. The motorcycle struck the curb, and Thompkins was thrown into a power pole.

He was taken to Georgia Health Sciences University, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

heartablazing
heartablazing 07/28/12 - 05:13 pm
Two people have died in

Two people have died in motorcycle accidents in the past two days,which both could have been prevented.The comments I have read is for people in cars to pay attention to motorcycles on the road.These two traggic accidents did not happen due to a person driving in a car or truck,they actually happened due to the motorcycle driver not paying attention or possibly driving wreckless.My point is that drivers,no matter what you drive,pay attention!I just had someone I know get killed on Skinner Mill road not too long ago.The accident was considered his fault for driving too fast.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/28/12 - 05:15 pm
Sad

It's hard to think of Gordon Hwy./Peach Orchard as an intersection. It's more like a merger, veerer, confluence of a mess. But it's the gateway to our city.

My sympathies to the family of Mr. Thompkins.

fishman960
fishman960 07/28/12 - 06:40 pm
Motorcyclist dies

My condolences to his family.
I myself have exceeded the speed limit on my bike.
It's simply too easy to bring a bike up to 100 mph nowadays.

2 lives in less than a week.

mosovich
mosovich 07/28/12 - 06:47 pm
100MPH???

It's not that hard to not do it if you look at the speedometer! Kinda like saying, it's to easy to get drunk after drinking a case of beer.. Well, don't do it!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/28/12 - 08:35 pm
Twist the throttle on some of

Twist the throttle on some of these crotch rockets just to merge onto the expressway and you can hit 150 in a few seconds. They are incredibly quick; and dangerous.... Out of the box they can do 1/4 mile times < 10s. The only automobile that will do that has to be hauled in on a trailer.

Mosovich, you and I will just stick to the pedal bikes, eh?

johntheaugustan
johntheaugustan 07/28/12 - 09:04 pm
sad moment

I was there after the man recked his bike and I called 911 four times and still didnt get no answer. I saw the guy laying there while his friend was on the the phone with 911 and I also saw his other friend there checking his pulse saying he still had one and with that, his girl was crying asking him to talk to her. I had a bad feeling things wasn't going to go good. So I left before the bad news would come. Got to say, I'm really upset that 911 didn't answer my call and I feel he could of lived if the EMT got there faster because I was there for 10 minutes before I left and the EMT still hadn't arrived yet, knowing MCG aint nothing but a minute away. All and all, guys be careful driving those bikes, a bike is only good as its driver.

rebellious
rebellious 07/28/12 - 10:03 pm
Sad and tragic

These bikes are powerful and fast. If you are gonna drive one, be sensable. Prayers to the family.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/29/12 - 01:33 am
Prayers to the family.

Prayers to the family.

OhWell
OhWell 07/29/12 - 09:41 am
If 911 did not answer didn't

If 911 did not answer didn't they just hire a highly recomended leader? There is some explaining that needs to be done.

fishman960
fishman960 07/29/12 - 10:21 am
speculation

The 911 service might not have worked due to carrier coverage, apps enabled or any sort of issue on those lines. There could be any number of reasons for the glitch.

Rest in Peace my fellow rider.

fishman960
fishman960 07/29/12 - 10:35 pm
Speed

There is an exhilaration that comes with twisting the throttle and having the pull of a jetliner taking off. I have had my share of super fast machines both two wheel and four wheel. Those that have not experienced it do not know what I am talking about. Those that have, share prayers that we are still here. You never know when that road is going to turn quicker than you can react.