Rants & Raves

I ENJOY GOING downtown on First Friday. However, I notice that all the police do is ride around the blocks or park in a corner with the lights flashing. If they actually got out of their cars more and walked the sidewalks, their presence would be more noted.

A RAVE FOR Bill Turner and his staff at Toner Charge in North Augusta.

RANTS ARE DIRECTED to the T-SPLOST creators and promoters who push for each new sales tax which adds to the crushing cumulative tax burden upon us.

THANK GOODNESS FOR the person who discovered a 4-year-old girl in a car in this sweltering heat. You saved that child’s life. God bless you!

RAVES TO TIM TEBOW, the NFL player, a fine person indeed. People say all these hateful thing about him, but he has Jesus with him. He has a wonderful foundation. I wish him well.

RANT FOR MAYOR Deke. You can’t protect us downtown on First Friday. How are you going to protect us from those little gangbanger wannabes if you put a ballpark down there? Now do you understand why we don’t want a stadium downtown?

RONNIE STRENGTH, how about for First Friday we do what the NRA wants to do and just arm everybody? That ought to make it safer.

I’VE HAD IT WITH animal abuse and neglect! Anyone who knows of something that is happening or not happening to an animal, like no water or food, or shelter or abuse is going on, if you do not report it and follow up, you are guilty, too!

MANY OF THE commenters on The Chronicle are so hateful and cynical. I don’t know how they live with themselves. I guess it makes them feel better to spread hatred. Why does The Chronicle give them a venue for this?

TO DEKE AND ALL Augustans: Please do not feel intimidated by a small group of Wisconsin heathens who don’t like prayer breakfasts. It’s none of their business. They should just be ignored.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/28/12 - 07:50 am
Jane

Thanks, just keep standing in the Grandstand waving that American Flag...(Remember that movie, Heartbreak Ridge)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/28/12 - 07:58 am
Ameba

CobaltGeorge07/28/12 - 08:11 am
KSM
Stand Tall and be Proud.

It takes a low life Ameba to give someone 2 downers to tell the parents of a solider to "Stand Tall and Be Proud"

You are one sicko!

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/12 - 07:59 am
I Think A Troublemaker....

....is in the eyes of the beholder. One man's troublemaker is another man's advocate. Is someone who argues forcefully in favor of some sort of antisocial behavior a troublemaker, or is the troublemaker one who chooses to forcefully represent the position of mainstream society? If someone posts a stream of accusatory untruths, is that person a troublemaker, or is the troublemaker the one who challenges the false assertions?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/28/12 - 08:05 am
I think I will just quit for

I think I will just quit for the day!!!!

Jane18
Jane18 07/28/12 - 08:09 am
Heroes and flag waving

I should have named some of my other heroes on this forum, and I am sorry I didn't. Most of you know who you are(alhans, myfather, ICL, and several more). My hope, one day, is techfan to come around. > Hey George, I'm-a-waving........................................

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 07/28/12 - 08:33 am
I get "thumbed down" regularly..

Probably just for my screen name ...I guess that makes me cynical and hateful too...Right?

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/28/12 - 08:53 am
Next to last Rant - And the answer is........

Because they have nearly everyone, except you and I, that they are Christians!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/28/12 - 09:02 am
No Conservative man

Some people hit the thumbs down feature just to mess with your head.
I don't even care about it one way or another. In fact I don't even hit thumbs up or down on any posts. I'm lazy like that.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 07/28/12 - 09:09 am
Same here!!

I rarely hit up or down also...And I really don't care what people think of what I say. ..I just try to call 'em as I see 'em...That's the beauty of the forum. You get to see what others are thinking, or in some cases how they are NOT thinking!

toldyaso
toldyaso 07/28/12 - 09:20 am
Vote your beliefs

@ Jake-- It's been my understanding that Democrats promote big government, and Republicans promote less government. That being said, I don't personally vote any party, but rather the candidate who most closely represents my own beliefs. And, I might add that the candidates for Sheriff are getting a free ride when it comes to stating their points of view. So far they all sound the same to me. Just sayin'

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/28/12 - 11:53 am
Girlfriend's Got A Hard Row to Hoe

@ "HERE’S A RANT to the wife of the married man: Blame him. The decision was all his and while he was not strong enough to endure your wrath, at the end of the day I refuse to believe that he is in love with you."
____________________________

What kind of a comment is this? She was doing okay with it up to "blame him..., he was not strong enough." After that, it just got insane. She begins blaming the wife with "endure your wrath" and states that the man doesn't love the wife he's cheating on (with her).

Listen up Girlfriend, big boy is cheating on YOU, too. He's cheating with his own wife on you. You are BOTH being cheated on. The man doesn't know what love is and sorry to say, neither do you.

Put your efforts into discovering why you are so intent on selling your self short of all you were designed to be. Bottom line is if you "win" this booby prize, you haven't gained anything but the wife's problems.

And a special comment to the "wife" of this guy. I would much rather be in your shoes than their's. Seek sound, biblical, personal counseling. You don't have to go through this alone. There are many women's groups who will support you in this community. This is a perfect opportunity for you to grow and benefit from the very things that were meant to destroy you. You have everything to gain and the opposite is true about your husband and the girlfriend's path.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/28/12 - 09:57 am
Peace at any cost?

harley, I like your 8:59. "Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God" comes to my mind in this discussion. I think it is important to remember that keeping the peace and participating in making the peace are two different matters. Peace at any cost, is never truly peace; but usually the delay of greater conflict to come.

So, yes, I agree, people who face conflict directly and honestly instead of using triangulation, inappropriate humor, or snide remarks are often seen as troublemakers, when actually the opposite is true.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 07/28/12 - 10:30 am
boring..

This place is Boring................................the bobble head comment was a kettle calling pot black...made me smile at least.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 10:49 am
Was There Another Shooting Downtown Last Night?

People are saying in other media that there was another shooting downtown last night, Friday. There's no story in the AC....yet. Anybody know?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 10:51 am
Willow talking about

Willow talking about commenters said she didn't like those who used "triangulation, inappropriate humor, or snide remarks."

Dang, Willow, what's left for me? Heh.

Tots
Tots 07/28/12 - 11:35 am
Willow Bailey, @10:57am said-

Tots says -Oh heck ,guess i don't have anything to say-But,"Good Afternoon" to all of you...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/28/12 - 11:39 am
Rain Tax

This story got totally overlooked yesterday. Watch out!

Augusta Rain Tax Coming

Tell your commissioner, NO!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/28/12 - 12:02 pm
Aw, tots & River, I never

Aw, tots & River, I never said I didnt like the people who use those things. I'm saying those things don't work. I've used them myself which is how I know.

But, seriously, I can't remember ever witnessing either of you be purposefully unkind to anyone. A different opinion, maybe, but never nasty.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 12:04 pm
We need to keep researching

We need to keep researching ways for West Augusta and South Augusta to incorporate or break away from ARC. Let's cause some REAL trouble. Enough of these $100 million schemes to send county money downtown for the next 50 years.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 12:13 pm
"But, seriously, I can't

"But, seriously, I can't remember ever witnessing either of you be purposefully unkind to anyone."

I'm going to print that out.

tcowan13
tcowan13 07/28/12 - 12:16 pm
To Everyone...

I Hope That You Have A Very Pleasant Weekend Everyone.I Do Believe That The Augusta Greenjackets Stadium Should Stay Right Where It Is Now.(I Have Been To Quite A Few Events There(Besides Baseball Games),And I AndMany Others That I Know Enjoy The Stadium,Where It Is And As It Is). Nuff' Said.

Tots
Tots 07/28/12 - 12:16 pm
Enough of these $100 million schemes ,

to send county money downtown for the next 50 years .

Count me in on whatever you come up with Riverman.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/28/12 - 12:20 pm
Who knows something about

Who knows something about Lake Sinclair? I'm looking at some property up there.

Tots
Tots 07/28/12 - 12:22 pm
Riverman@1:13,

I'm LMFBO-now stop!

Tots
Tots 07/28/12 - 12:39 pm
Lake Sinclair?

Good place to fish....

harley_52
harley_52 07/28/12 - 12:30 pm
Have fished several fishing

Have fished several fishing tournaments there back in "the day." It was a nice lake with some pretty good bass fishing, but I never checked on real estate in the area.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/28/12 - 12:33 pm
I will support a Rain Tax, if

I will support a Rain Tax, if we can have a Lying Tax as well.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/28/12 - 12:41 pm
WNC, I read that!

WNC, I read that!

rebellious
rebellious 07/28/12 - 12:43 pm
Haters, Schmaters

No hate in this heart! Yes I use sarcasm to make and illustrate my points. It also makes me feel better. And I usually comment on postings or articles I disagree with. Does that make me cynical or a hater? I guesssome think so. And as far as those points, where do we redeem them? I am thinking of cashing out before mine drop any lower.

rebellious
rebellious 07/28/12 - 12:48 pm
Annexation for Dummies

In Georgia, there are five ways for cities to annex property inside the city's corporate limits. These methods are briefly described below:

Local Legislation Method
This method of annexation requires a local act of the General Assembly. Prior to 1996, the General Assembly could annex any property into a city simply by passing a local act amending the city's charter. In 1996, the General Assembly added a restriction on its own power to annex by local act. If an area proposed for annexation by local act of the General Assembly is comprised of more than 50% residential property (by acreage) and includes a population exceeding three percent of the city's population or 500 persons, whichever is less, then the annexation must be approved by referendum. The 1996 amendment has hindered attempts to annex large residential areas in some cities.

100 Percent Method
This method of annexation must be initiated by the 'written and signed applications of all the owners of land" proposed to be annexed. This method may only be used to annex contiguous areas, as defined by O.C.G.A. Section 36-36-20.

Prior to the passage of HB 1439 in the 2000 Session, the 100% Method was not available to municipalities located in counties having populations of 100,000 or more. When the original legislation authorizing annexation under the 100% method was approved in the 1960s, only the cities in Fulton County were affected by this population provision. However, the number of cities and counties affected by this legislation increased with each decennial census and, based on 1990 census figures, the restrictions extended to cities located in the counties of Bibb, Chatham, Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton, Gwinnett, Muscogee, and Richmond

60 Percent Method
The 60% method authorizes municipal governing authorities to annex land by ordinance upon the written and signed applications from: 1) not less than 60% of the resident voters in the area; and 2) the owners of not less than 60% of the land area by acreage. Like the 100% method, this method can only be used for areas that are contiguous to the municipal boundary. However, under this method, contiguous area is defined as any area of which at least one-eighth of the aggregate external boundary abuts the municipal boundary. (O.C.G.A. Section 36-36-31(a).)

Resolution and Referendum Method
This method authorizes annexation by resolution of the municipal governing authority and referendum of the qualified voters in the area to be annexed. The process is initiated by the adoption of a resolution of intent to annex the specified area. The annexation law requires an extensive report regarding extension of services to be provided by the city and procedural requirements for notice and public hearings. Because of its complexity and the requirement that only persons in the area to be annexed may vote, this method has almost never been used. (However, in 1999, the City of Roswell annexed more than 3,000 acres containing more than 11,000 residents using this method.)

Annexation of Unincorporated Islands
Under HB 1439, passed in the 2000 Session of the General Assembly, cities are now authorized to unilaterally annex unincorporated islands. The legislative purpose behind this provision was to prevent service delivery confusion and, in conjunction with O.C.G.A. Section 36-36-4, to prevent the formation of new islands while eliminating existing unincorporated islands.

Previously, a 1992 law authorized cities to annex, by ordinance, unincorporated islands of 50 acres or less which were in existence as of January 1, 1991. The 1992 law creating this method also prohibits the creation of new unincorporated islands.

Funding for homeless down slightly

Federal funding for local homeless programs decreased by $552 this year compared to 2014, which community leaders hope to offset in the future by expanding the city's homeless count into south ...