Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

YOUR EDITORIAL SAYS if you oppose the special purpose local option sales tax for transportation, it’s because you’re “emotional.” When governments at all levels keep inventing new ways to con tax money out of those who earn it, it’s fact, not emotion.

I WOULD LIKE THE public to know it is not the public schools or the teachers that are the problem. It’s the disruptive students who know there will be no real consequences for their wrongdoings.

A RANT TO ALL THE ill-mannered people who feel compelled to use their cellphones in restaurants or other close quarters. I seriously doubt you have anything to talk about that could not wait until you are done.

THE RICHMOND COUNTY Board of Education again showed how out of touch they are with the real needs of the schools. Getting rid of the paraprofessionals who are necessary and losing public safety officers who are really needed in our schools, yet they keep the instructional/graduation coaches who are taking up teacher positions.

A BIG RAVE FOR Au­gus­ta Cares and Ani­mal Services for the prompt response to my call regarding a dead dog on my property. The call was made in the morning, and by the afternoon the dog was removed. By the way, this dog was big and it took two Animal Services units, in 100-degree heat, to tackle the job.

A RANT TO ALL MARRIED men who text/talk to other women. I don’t fault you for cheating, but at least follow through with your word in the end. Stop making false promises.

PLEASE SHUT DOWN First Friday until the winter. Let everyone cool off and maybe the police can figure out how to stop the thugs from taking over by that time.

RAVES TO TONYA Bonitatibus, the Augusta Riverkeeper, and all the workers who helped to move the old houseboat from the river. I know it was two days of hard work. We really appreciate your dedication.

A RANT FOR THE bicyclists that go through the stop signs that connect the Greeneway in North Augusta. You are an accident waiting to happen, and no one wants to hit you. Twice, I’ve been in Knollwood subdivision, and thank God, the times these cyclists come flying through the stop signs, I was not close enough to hit them. Be aware to stop, please.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/24/12 - 08:31 pm
Taking cues from Obama?

"...oppose the special purpose local option sales tax for transportation, it’s because you’re “emotional.” Next, like The Obamessiah, you'll be condescendingly telling us it's because we are too simple to understand the brilliance of the government that collects fuel taxes, property taxes, income taxes, ad valorem taxes, innumerable fees on everything including rain, and wants to get "just one more penny" on every transaction in our lives-- and THEN they'll fix our roads?

Again, what part is it I'm not getting?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/24/12 - 08:50 pm
TSPLOST

Thieving Schemers: Politicians Laughing Over Self-imposed Tax

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/24/12 - 08:55 pm
"I don’t fault you for cheating

...but at least follow through with your word in the end."

They're breaking their wedding VOWS, and you expect them to follow through on what they promised for a little strange? You don't need to buy a used car, do you?

Jake
Jake 07/24/12 - 09:27 pm
Cheating

Sounds like someone got jilted while texting with a married man. If you knew he was married then you are just as much to blame as he is.

Cellphones - I bet if you could show a video of people talking on their hands-free, ear roach cellphones to folks 20 yrs ago, they would think that we somehow have evolved into schizophrenic, psychotic individuals. Maybe some have.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/24/12 - 10:20 pm
@6

Jake, you beat me to it...

I was going to post "Sounds like a Scorn Women"

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/24/12 - 10:21 pm
@2

In a private school...this problem doesn't exist. That is way my Grand Girl is in one.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 04:05 am
Me thinks

#6 was talking about CGee & Jake.....what did yall promise the dear lady?? :)

Good am to hot Augusta....& I ain't talking about the weather either.:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 04:15 am
Southside Mafia

Someone told me they saw the SSM off Windsor Spring Rd....they were shooting at targets with the real bullets.....nothing rubber with them....they hit the targets ebbytime.....amazing men in that group......we need your experience-intelligence-& straight shooting...
keep shooting....we have some shotgun riders on here!!
heh heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 04:21 am
rebellious

If we could just get rebellious to stop telling jokes.....concentrate rebell---concentrate....the lights are going out in Ga....

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 04:31 am
The rant said..

It's gonna take a new Sheriff & posse to do it.....
can't yall see this Sheriff has his hands full right now....geeez...radio jocks are even telling him how to handle his Mrs.....he doesn't need any advice....he needs for some to stay out of his beeswax...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 04:35 am
happy

I sent you a key to the lockbox...but pleeeeeze keep it away from river...he is soooo nosey!!
But he is good at shotgunning..heheh heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 04:45 am
Shotgun rider

The term shotgun, meaning a smoothbore long weapon that fires a load of shot instead of a single ball or bullet, dates to 1776. A frontier term, "shotgun" was first recorded in Kentucky and noted by James Fenimore Cooper as part of "the language of the west." The weapon was also called a two-shoot gun, a scatter-gun, and a few other terms.

Though disdained by marksmen, the shotgun was the weapon of choice among pony express riders and stagecoach guards - indeed, in the late 1880s and early 1890s, an express messenger was called a "shotgun messenger." A shotgun scattered pellets, making it easy to hit your target at short range. If the barrels were sawed off, the shot scattered over a wider area, an advantage if you were defending against a group (robbers or wolves, for instance). You didn't need to aim precisely, just point the gun in the right direction.

(Just point the gun in the RIGHT direction) like ksm does!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/12 - 05:20 am
Ballistics Lesson This Morning

Seenit looks up everything. I wonder why?

Yeah, that woman up there disappointed the guy didn't show up is pretty funny.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/12 - 05:23 am
What a Nothing News Day

Nothing really to get excited about today. No good pieces. We'll have to generate our own big trouble right here in the River City R and R's.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 05:30 am
Well well

You are good at generating some trouble on here....we all know that!

A cat covers it up...I look it up! :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 05:37 am
Mega Millions

I have to check & see if I won the Mega....if I did I'm gonna buy that Regency Mall & turn South Augusta around...ya hear me KSM ....together we will turn that area around.....you could even run for office ......weeel wouldn't that scare the you-know-what out of some....knock the krust & dirt off some good ole boys....geez I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about THAT!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/12 - 05:51 am
Okay, Some Politics

Obama generated a big turn-out the last election, but it's unlikely the Democrats will do that for the upcoming election. What does that mean locally? It could mean the Republican candidate for sheriff will pull off a win. It also means we could get a Republican to unseat Dem. John Barrow in Congress.

The conservatives are taking this election very seriously and will turn out in much greater numbers than the Obama folks. The most important election in our lifetime. If it weren't for the conservatives in Congress this country would be socialized fast as a bait car left at Cherry Tree Crossing on a Saturday night.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 05:58 am
heh heh

Yeh rm...if only you had some radio friends you could really get that message across.....:)

Many appts today....some will make me happy & some won't....so will try to play ball later today......cgee & Rk...please don't take the ball away.....pass it to trouble..

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 06:01 am
To all complainers

To all with complaints about my multi posts...

I paid for my box...ask SM....I get mine in the am.....& I don't care how many times you get yours!!!

seeya

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/25/12 - 06:55 am
RM, you want something to get excited about?

How about government health care? Last Friday I was experiencing sever chest pains, nausea, and cold sweats. You know, the classic symptoms of a heart attack. I happened to be in West Memphis AR at the time so I went to the Memphis VAMC emergency room. Good news is every thing was OK.

Problem is I can't drive now until I see my primary care provider and get a clean bill of health. The first available appointment was Aug 21. I already had one scheduled for Aug 20. Point is, I am now out of work for the next month. Here is the other thing, since it wasn't a heart attack the emergency room could not determine exactly what the cause was. They believe it was gastro-intestinal related but are not sure.

So as I said, I have to wait a month to see a doctor. What if something serious is going on? I could be dead waiting to see a doctor. I guess it's time to pull out my PRIVATE insurance card and see a private doctor. Problem is since I listed the VA as my primary that is who the medical clearance has to come from. That is per Department of Transportation regs. In other words, the government again telling me I have to see this person, not one of my choosing.

Yep, Emperor care is gonna be just dandy.

Now the biggie, which one of you who think it is so great are going to pay my bills and feed my family for the next month. I just hope Kroger has a sale on ramen.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/25/12 - 06:58 am
G'morning posters and posers

Sarge, still praying for you and I will go 100:1 that CG, SB, RM, T, SFB, WB and the rest of the alphabet are too. Good morning all.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/25/12 - 08:42 am
Didn't see it mentioned here

...but Elton John is here in the States as part of an AIDS conference. He'd better watch his step, though; he may be branded as a homophobe because of an interview he gave. You see, he's actually spoken with Dubya --who is also attending-- at length , and Sir Elton has nothing but (astonished) respect for the man. Turns out in Sir Elton's words, "He's nothing like advertised," being among other things, well-read and informed and extremely intelligent.

Welcome to the real world, the one unfiltered by the media.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/25/12 - 09:39 am
Elton John..

..is here in the states? He lives in Atlanta.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/25/12 - 10:19 am
Emontional ???

Go read the last 4 state auditors reports citing financial mismanagement of road building projects by the GA DOT and see if you get "emotional" about our sorry politicians coming back to the pig trough with the TSPLOST.

Tell them to quit grunting for more slop and go back to Atlanta and clean up the DOT and it's contracting process instead of trying to take more money from our families.

Vote NO on TSPLOST. We already pay plenty. THEY waste, misallocate, and mismanage our money and that is verified in their own state auditors' reports since 2008.

Emotional ? You're durned right I am emotional. I am furious.

Vote NO on TSPLOST and all other xSPLOST proposals and renewals. Politicans and taxpayer money are just like drug addicts and dope. They more you give them the less time it takes them to use it up and the "high" don't last as long. The politicians are addicted. It's time for an intervention.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/25/12 - 10:30 am
RK

RK, it sounds like you've had a tough time with the VA. I wonder if you could go into the patient affairs representative at the VA in town and see if they could help you? Often times things like that can be worked out. On the other hand, enjoy your month off. Smile.

allhans
allhans 07/25/12 - 08:33 pm
RC vote Republican? I hardly

RC vote Republican? I hardly think so. But that is just my own opinion. We will know more next week at any rate.
I think Peebles will win Tues, name recognition will be a help.
Rick Allen will win. Elaine Johnson. Overstreet. What other races do we have?
If I am right and Peebles wins on Tues then in Nov winners will be Peebles, and ...Obama.

* Corrections made...My steno was thinking instead of listening.

rebellious
20656
rebellious 07/25/12 - 01:52 pm
Southside Mafia my butt

Seenitb4...This is for you:

Some would have you believe there is a group of old bigoted, cigar chewing, tobacco spitting, liquor swilling, banjo picking racist that meet in a room filled with smoke and old discarded couches, cursing the loss of the Civil War and vowing revenge on all black people in Richmond County. And some would have you believe that group is called the Southside Mafia.
Nope!!! Doesn't exist! May have at one time, as I have heard a talk show host expound with great pride as he tries to paint the current politically active Southsiders with the same brush. I, personally, wouldn't know if these stories are true or if they just serve the purpose of the white race baiters.
Not speaking for others, but making these observations myself, what does exist, on the Southside of town as well as the Westside and Downtown, are citizens who pull together to try and elect people who will represent their interest. On the Southside of Augusta, many here feel as if we are treated as "mailbox money" for the Downtown crowd. We mail our tax payments and then watch as roads are built to more quickly facilitate the ingress and egress of Columbia County folks to work our jobs then return to their homes. We have scheduled major road projects that have been on the books for years, only to see the money siphoned off for Alexander Drive, Sebastion way, and just wait, the next will be Berkman Road alignment. We believe in “one Augusta”, we just want to be considered a part of it.
Our recourse, by right and obligation, is to use the current political system for putting in place those who share this ideal. No different than the Hill crowd, the Country Club crowd or the Downtown crowd. Yet when it happens south of the Gordon Highway, it is castigated as evil, with shady intent, vicious, and given a reference of being bad. Well, this group, which has no set membership, no dues, no set meeting place…is comprised of Black, White and Hispanic men and women. We analyze voting patterns and demographics, candidate’s history and platforms, review electability, then support who we support. Nothing nefarious. Like other groups, for the most part, we operate behind the scenes and under the radar to support our candidate. What is wrong with that? I was raised that this is the American Way, and anyone who says differently….is the one with a hidden agenda.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/25/12 - 01:54 pm
Rant #6

Definitely a waste of space.

Rant #9: Right on the money. Bicyclists think road rules don't apply to them, don't they?

rebellious
20656
rebellious 07/25/12 - 02:03 pm
RM

I agree this is a difficult primary and general election to handicap. The 4 way (2 black, 2 white) Demo sheriff race is the most intriguing. How many will crossover from Repub to pull a lever for their favorite there? How many of Lewis Blanchard's (Peebles) friends actually vote or live in Richmond County (or are they just drinking his drinks and eating his groceries). Will the hard core black democrats pull the switch for Roundtree or will his baggage be too heavy? How bad will Peebles admission he is not really a Democrat (At the NAACP forum) hurt him? More variables than a quantum physics equation! I have made my prediction on another day/post so I won't go there again. How do you see each factor affecting the statistics from 2008, wher 64% voted Democrat and Obama went in the White House?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/25/12 - 02:24 pm
rebellious

Thank you rebel...I don't mind it when you set me straight....I agree....it is about time...

'Do not swim' order remains in effect for Savannah River

A "do not swim" order for the Savannah River will reamin in effect while officials await lab results of an oily substance found in its waters Sunday.