Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman injures deputy at Augusta Mall

Monday, July 23, 2012 12:48 AM
Last updated 1:49 AM

A local woman is in jail with two felony obstruction charges after she injured a police officer at the Augusta Mall while fighting with her estranged husband, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s report.

At 1 p.m. Sunday, an officer working a special duty was told by mall security of a domestic dispute inside the Like Uniforms Store. Two officers went to the shop and saw a woman, identified as Torry Reynolds, 49, walking away from the store. Both deputies told her to stop, but she refused, according to the report.

One deputy warned her if he had to stop her physically, she would be arrested, but Reynolds continued. When the two deputies stopped her, she became aggressive, according to the report.

Once the officers had Reynolds on the ground, she grabbed one of the deputy’s hands and dug her fingernails into it, breaking the skin. With the help of a witness, the three men got Reynolds into custody, the report said.

Deputies later were told by the estranged husband that Reynolds had come to demand money from him while he was working at the store.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/23/12 - 12:53 am
This could have been avoided

The officer should have tased her before cuffing her. You can't trust anyone these days. If an officer gives you an order to stop and you ignore it you deserve to be tased!

myfather15
myfather15 07/23/12 - 01:18 am
Richmond County doesn't carry

Richmond County doesn't carry tasers. They absolutely should carry them but they don't. The facts support it, tasers actually reduce injury to the officers and the offenders. Many more injuries are suffered in physical altercations than with tasers. But tasers aren't full proof either, they don't always make good contact so you shouldn't depend solely on them, have a second game plan ready.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/23/12 - 02:33 am
KUDOS...

to the many honest public servants who don their uniforms every day to protect us from actions like Ms. Reynolds'.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/23/12 - 05:18 am
Peaceful

Doesn't it make you feel good to know we are living in peaceful & safe society just like it was back in the 50's.

Dr_Evil
Dr_Evil 07/23/12 - 06:54 am
Every day

Each and every day something happens that shows that society has zero respect for authority, each other, or themselves. As a condition of probation, this female should be ordered to keep her fingernails short enough so the that they can't be used as "weapons".

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/12 - 06:59 am
Dragnet

Put a big huge net over the mall---drop it everytime a fracas happens....catchem ebbytime!

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/23/12 - 07:30 am
I wonder if she'd injured an

I wonder if she'd injured an ordinary citizen, would she still be arrested?

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 07/23/12 - 08:07 am
Good Morning Patty. Probably

Good Morning Patty. Probably not, unless the victim was a part of her domicile. The Georgia Leglislature requires an arrest in that case.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/23/12 - 08:09 am
I sure miss the "halt or I'll

I sure miss the "halt or I'll shoot.......bang" days. We rarely heard about people running, ignoring, or fighting with the police. If someone did decide to scuffle with a cop a thump on the head with a blackjack usually calmed the situation quickly. The good old days. And then came the progressives who told us criminals had the right to run from the cops and fight with them during an arrest, parents cannot spank their kids, and schools could not discipline kids and had to give everyone a PASS. I cannot say that I am very impressed with the results. I want to go back to the days when the cops could shoot and thump, parents could wail on their kids in the middle of a store and not raise an eyebrow, and every assistant principal had a wood paddle in their desk drawer and used it frequently. It was a much more civil and safe time for everyone except criminals.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/23/12 - 08:31 am
Tazers and back up

I agree officers need a back up for tazers. I believe something in .40 cal would fit the bill.

Jeepster2001
Jeepster2001 07/23/12 - 08:41 am
@ Patty-P -- I Vote Yes

@ Patty-P -- I vote yes, she would've been arrested, if the person she attacked, pressed charges. Like if she had attacked one of the Mall security guards. BUT, she was stupid -- she attacked a deputy. Now, she has two felonies to pay for. Two strikes. And @ dichotomy - yeah, I sure miis those days too. Time to slap some sense and respect back into people - starting with the punks.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/12 - 09:20 am
No tasers?

Wow, I was under the impression that virtually every officer in the USA carried them?

Why not, are they THAT expensive?

edit: I had a good chuckle watching one of the cop reality shows the other day. A suspect jumped out of the driver's side to run and the officer managed to hit him with the taser while in pursuit. He did an absolute face plant into the dirt, LOL.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 07/23/12 - 10:09 am
Just looked up the mugshot of

Just looked up the mugshot of the delightful Ms. Reynolds.

Let's just say it's about what I expected.

happychimer
happychimer 07/23/12 - 10:16 am
Tasers work on those who

Tasers work on those who don't have heart problems. Tasers can and have killed those with heart problems.

Jeepster2001
Jeepster2001 07/23/12 - 11:20 am
Then I Make a Suggestion

If you have a heart problem, then I would suggest NOT breaking the law. ..just sayin'... If you choose to ignore my suggestion, then tough toenails.

cheapster505
cheapster505 07/23/12 - 11:25 am
guess

guess she will get a uniform of her own

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/23/12 - 01:10 pm
Tasers Work

well on homeless schizophrenics in Orange Country, CA.

Don't google the video unless you want to see police brutality at its finest.

eagle
eagle 07/23/12 - 01:47 pm
No taser? They should have

No taser? They should have thumped her on the head with their baton.
Bet she'll look good in her new jumpsuit. Kudos to the cops.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/23/12 - 04:28 pm
Tasers would stop these types

Tasers would stop these types of incidents. I don't understand why an agency the size of RC doesn't carry them. There are several different types of grants out there that would cover the cost. Why would you want an officer to go toe to toe with an offender with this type of technology available?

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 07/23/12 - 07:02 pm
TASERs

...are available now that activate a camcorder when removed from their carrier. I like that kind of accountability. On the plus side, there are a lot of folks who comply with the mere threat: "Don't tase me, bro!" is sorta a criminal anthem. Although the heart attack threat IS present whenever they are used, wrestling with officers and running from the scene of a crime isn't good for the ol' ticker, either.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/23/12 - 07:22 pm
Good evening Willow...

Was wondering because when it happens to a citizen, there is never an arrest, but if an officer is injured, they have no problem taking them to 401. Just wonder if justice for assault is applied differently for different people.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/23/12 - 08:31 pm
Happy 1016 am

SO!!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/23/12 - 08:51 pm
Clarify My Post

If you know you have a heart problem, you don't do things that deserve a taser treatment.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/23/12 - 08:52 pm
PP, That's because the

PP, That's because the officer takes out the warrant. If an individual assaults an officer they should go to Jail, that is after being released from the hospital.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/23/12 - 08:52 pm
If you do and die, good

If you do and die, good riddance.

AutumnLeaves
11918
AutumnLeaves 07/23/12 - 09:40 pm
Now, now, now...

Now, now, now...all this is alleged....hope they can pull tapes and verify all this happened as the law claims. BTW, I wish they'd arrest that woman that comes around with the squirt bottle with cleaner that sprays the table while you're eating at a table for two and slaps her dirty rag around, then leaves when you protest and comes back with a broom and sweeps right under your feet. Why doesn't she go to the EMPTY tables??? Too many of them? We made a formal written complaint at the customer service desk and when we followed up they claimed they never got it at the office. Just one more reason not to go there if we don't absolutely have to. Anyone else having trouble with the squirt happy bottle/broom lady?

myfather15
myfather15 07/24/12 - 05:01 am
A law enforcement taser costs

A law enforcement taser costs about $700.00. The civilian version about $300.00 to $350.00 (Don't quote me, look it up). I'm pretty sure thats close though. It would be extremely expensive for such a large Sheriff's Office but as I stated, it would reduce many injuries from physical altercation thereby reducing ER bills. They have tested the taser on people with heart conditions, no it doesn't make people have heart attacks. Most people that have died from taser exposure die from excited delirium (look it up), which is usually a result from narcotics in their system, combined with the excitement and adreneline of fighting with police or whomever. If taser's actually caused that many deaths, they wouldn't be used. Taser has been sued many times and has won the vast majority of the suits. Actually, I can't think of one they have lost but there might be so thats why I say the vast majority.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/24/12 - 05:07 am
Did I miss something??

So Patty and Willow you are saying if some moron dug her nails into another citizen they would not be arrested?? I don't buy that for a second. Those comments make no sense at all. Could you clarify?

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/24/12 - 05:10 am
Amen CobaltGeorge!!

A cooperative respectful law abiding citizen doesn't get tasered. Anything less, you know the possible consequences you're gambling with and shouldnt have rolled the dice.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/24/12 - 05:12 am
Autumn, at the table you're at??

Which court and what day/time of the day?? I'd like to see that tried with me!