Rants & Raves

WITH ALL THE problems in Columbia Coun­ty, do we have need for grass police?

RAVES TO FORT GORDON for the great July Fourth music, festivities and fireworks. A big rant, though, to their new idea to move traffic off base afterward. Most of the parking was on the south side of the field and had to exit by Gate 5. What a mess with three lines merging into one at the gate. It took us over an hour to get off base and then were thrust into unfamiliar territory in the dark. We live 10 minutes from Gate 1, but got home near midnight.

I CAME BACK into town from Florida and turned off Peach Orchard Road onto Bobby Jones Ex­press­­way. I was shocked to see how bad that area looks. The grass in the median and on the roadside hasn’t been cut in months. It’s awful!

HAS ANYBODY NOTICED how much tire debris is on Interstate 20, especially between Augusta and Atlanta? The 18-wheel trucks are having blowouts, and the debris is littering our highways. I bet the prisoners could get it all cleaned up and keep it maintained for us with very little cost to the taxpayers.

WHY DO SO MANY people assume that troublemakers must be provided with something to do late at night? There were at least two comments made to the media about this. People are responsible for finding legal things to do at any time of day or night. Why not settle down with a good book safely at home?

DON’T BLAME THE violence downtown on First Friday. Decent people already enjoyed the arts and left downtown appropriately or stayed quietly in the bars. I don’t know who all the ruffians are who decide to shoot up people and places, but they are bad on their own, nothing to do with the good people. Don’t stop First Friday, please!

GOOD GRIEF, Brenda Durant. How on Earth can you say that “we” need to provide something for kids to do real late so they won’t cause problems? Are you making us be free baby sitters now? Parents and other biological elders are the ones responsible for the kids.

A RANT TO THOSE downtown businesses who want to keep First Friday but don’t want to pay for the extra law enforcement required. End First Friday or let them pay up.

OK! ENOUGH ALREADY of this killer heat. I’ve been converted! I believe, I believe now in global warming.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 07/23/12 - 07:10 pm
I called Augusta Cares hot

I called Augusta Cares hot line to complain about the high grass that of course hasnt been cut since the Masters tournament. She gave me a # to call, said it was state road and the County was not responsible for cutting grass. Called that # and the guy I spoke with gave me another # to call. Can you guess what I did? Abruptly hung up. Good ole Government at their best!

carcraft
carcraft 07/23/12 - 07:41 pm
And think, some people want

And think, some people want the government to manage their health care!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/23/12 - 08:10 pm
Of course

..."We' need to provide something for kids to do real late so they won’t cause problems?"

Sure, why not? After all, we're feeding them at school, giving them free money for food at home (put to good use for kicks, grills and nails), putting them up in good neighborhoods with free housing, free cell phones to manage their drug business, free medical care for their gang-related injuries, and then telling them through public education how victimized they are.

Jake
Jake 07/23/12 - 09:05 pm
Heat

When I was a kid living in Augusta (early 60's) my brothers and I would play outside in the summer and the heat was never a problem. We never gave it a thought. We would come in the house for dinner with sweat covered necks (with the dirt lines) and the old man would make us go outside, rinse off and put shirts back on so we could eat. I don't think it was any cooler then than now.
The heat can be brutal but if you are doing something outside that you like (playing golf) then it isn't so bad.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/23/12 - 09:08 pm
dstewartsr

Boy are you really down on out poor unfortunate children. I think they need and deserve more. I think they should get a new government car as soon as they get their license.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/23/12 - 09:08 pm
Bobby Jones

"The grass in the median and on the roadside hasn’t been cut in months." But it WILL be cut soon.

(How long until the next Masters?)

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/23/12 - 09:20 pm
"...Down on our poor unfortunate children"

Yeah, it's that twisted, wicked world view I have that says you're entitled only to what you earn, not parity with those who do earn. D'ya think these cruelly treated downtrodden wretches should have a free car as well? O-kay. Perhaps that's why The Obamessiah bought up the car company (with our money); save the unions, ride a GM.

Licenses, they don't need no steenking licenses!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/23/12 - 09:33 pm
dstewartsr

LOL, time for us to have a beer together, right?

allmostgone
allmostgone 07/23/12 - 09:46 pm
Pay close attention!! Augusta

Pay close attention!! Augusta will have their illegal Mexicans out of Charlotte NC to cut the grass so don't worry it's just your tax money.
After they take all your money to Mexico then take a look at your economy. I hear Mexico's economy is doing just great. IT SHOULD BE!!

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/23/12 - 09:55 pm
Agreed.

We really need to have a reunion at 1104 with all the regulars.

Riverman1
82076
Riverman1 07/23/12 - 10:04 pm
Folks need to look at

Folks need to look at tonight's posts under today's Peebles editorial. Some unusual posts were put up.

KSL
KSL 07/23/12 - 11:18 pm
CG and D, can I come?

CG and D, can I come?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/12 - 11:37 pm
Me too!!

Me too!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/23/12 - 11:44 pm
Jake, the only thing I would

Jake, the only thing I would say about the heat is if you live in or around developed areas, there is a lot more concrete and asphalt than there used to be. Other than that, I agree 100%. During periods like we've had lately, I clearly recall stripping to drawers and lying spread eagle on the bed in front of the window, praying for a breeze. I grew up in one of those old frame houses that had 10 ft ceilings, so they were little cooler, but not much. During the day I would walk down to the drugstore or grocery store just to hang out in the AC; or go to the swimming people if I could cut the neighbor's grass and get $0.50.

KSL
KSL 07/23/12 - 11:47 pm
RM, they deleted a bunch of

RM, they deleted a bunch of comments and shut the site down for commenting.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/24/12 - 03:03 am
Dang, they did?

I always miss the good stuff!! lol

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/24/12 - 05:08 am
Gotta love it!

To all emailing me & asking did I see it----well noooooo .......I have been missing in action & missed the action last night....
maybe a good thing though.....
I will say that as of late the comments on here are far more interesting than the story....
But I did see we had the cops appear some----so it must have gotten heated...

Good am posters.....will any candidate for Sheriff come out without mud on him......
We might have to run ourselves.......meaning the tough guys on here. heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/24/12 - 05:46 am
Keep him off the news please

Is there any way the news outlets can keep the SHOOTER off the news....don't put the thugs pic on---don't try to figure his REASONS---who cares about him....that fuels every other nut case just wanting to make a name & be noticed....
I'm gagging now each & everytime that shock of red hits the screen...
Huckabee says his name won't be mentioned....only the name monster...thank you MHuckabee

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/24/12 - 05:50 am
Company in the house

I have company here from the CSRA area....funny..I know more about the Sheriffs race than they do..

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/24/12 - 06:41 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 07/24/12 - 06:53 am
also to my emailers

pac·i·fy
   [pas-uh-fahy] Show IPA

verb (used with object), pac·i·fied, pac·i·fy·ing.
to bring or restore to a state of peace or tranquillity; quiet; calm: to pacify an angry man.

to appease: to pacify one's appetite.

to reduce to a state of submission, especially by military force; subdue.

If my actions & posting change ....this is what I'm doing.....PACIFY!

Sometimes you just can't have the real milk! hahahah seeya

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/24/12 - 07:42 am
Rant about leaving Ft. Gordon

Maybe you should have gone to Patriots Park, nope that wouldn't solve your traffic problem. OK then, downtown. Won't do it either. Ever been to a Green Jackets or Riverhawks game? When ever you have that many people trying to leave one venue you will encounter traffic delays.

Try this, make some sandwiches or take the fixings for a late night picnic. It's kind of fun watching how some idiots drive trying to leave. Point is, by the time I have finished I have enjoyed a good show and the traffic is gone. Heck even the Masters has traffic problems.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/24/12 - 07:43 am
G'morning posters and posers

Especially the alphabet gang. Sarge, we are praying for you.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/24/12 - 08:15 am
Way to go

Good post at 7:42, RK!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/24/12 - 09:27 am
LL

Thanks

allhans
allhans 07/24/12 - 10:13 am
Well..that didn't take

Well..that didn't take long.........

Trouble
Trouble 07/24/12 - 10:37 am
ok

ill bite, what didnt take long allhans?

fftaz71
fftaz71 07/24/12 - 11:31 am
fireworks...

RK...you are so right! We have moved on from Augusta and are now stationed in Norfolk Va. We watched the fireworks from the Navy Hospitals grounds...along with a whole lot of other families. There was one way in and one way out here. Our fireworks were over by 930pm and we didnt get off the base until 1145pm. We knew this was going to happen so we planned for it. At Fort Gordon if you know your way around, you can get get out 2 other gates....you wouldnt necessarily be forced to go out Gate 5. We went to several functions at the Fort where we found this to be true. As you pointed out RK, anytime you attend a function where there are bound to be thousands of people in attendance, you should expect that traffic is going to be crazy afterwards.

fftaz71
fftaz71 07/24/12 - 11:34 am
heat...

for the person saying they have been converted....its hot all over!! I moved 7 hours drive north and its been slightly hotter here than it was in the Augusta area when we left until this week although its still just as hot as yall are. And to think I was looking forward to a "cooler" summer..hahaha was I fooled.

allhans
allhans 07/24/12 - 12:10 pm
Trouble..I don't know. It

Trouble..I don't know. It went away.