Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A $214 MILLION LAB at the CDC is having repeated problems with an airflow system. That’s government for you – $214 million and it still doesn’t’ work.

RANT TO Augusta Chron­icle. I understand that the digital edition of The Chronicle needs to make money just like the print edition. But it seems a bit extreme that you can’t look at the obituaries after you’ve “exhausted” your free online time. The Augusta area was my home for 21 years. My family still lives in the area, and I have friends there as well. Can an out-of-towner please be allowed to at least look at the obituaries daily? Thank you for considering the suggestion (assuming you will). By the way, about the only two things I look at on the digital edition are the obits and the Rants & Raves. You folks in the Augusta area crack me up! Love it!

AFTER VIEWING THE photos of the assorted gay pride paraders and their supporters, I think we need to make yet another name change. Instead of Augusta, let’s just call ourselves Sodom on the Savannah. It has a nice ring to it and makes us appear less provincial and more cosmopolitan. You know … like San Francisco.

I HOPE ANY TEACHER in the CSRA who is being bullied by administrators contacts www.napta.com. This is the National Association for the Pre­vention of Teacher Abuse. Hostile work environments should not be tolerated. Also read the book White Chalk Crime … facts about what is really happening in our education system.

GATORS AND PEOPLE do not go together. The same people who are crying about killing the gators would be saying, “Why doesn’t the state do something?” if a gator bit a kid. Go to the zoo if you want to see a gator.

A BIG RAVE FOR Bill Blood­worth for all he has done for Augusta State University. Re­membering back there was just a bunch of shed-like structures, and look what we ended up with … a real university making all of us proud. Thank you, Bill, and enjoy the next leg of your journey!

WHY DO WE STILL see deaths of youngsters who drown in unprotected swimming pools? Why do we see deaths due to people not wearing seat belts? If we could only learn from the past, these deaths would be avoidable. Let’s see how we all can do a better job in doing the right thing!

TO THE RANTER complaining about Taylor Swift: Who in the heck is Taylor Swift?

Jake
Jake 07/17/12 - 10:09 pm
Rant #2

Pay for what you view. We all do it and it will not hurt. That way you can view the obits and R&R's and feel good knowing that you are contributing to the paper that is providing this service. It costs money to have an online edition so why don't you just pony up like the rest of us?

Rant #3 - The Augusta Pride parade is rated "G" compared to San Francisco so be glad that your local parade is in better taste. Out here it is "anything goes" which is why most people stay away unless they want the shock value or are of like mind then they will go.

I confess that I have never heard Taylor Swift sing. I somehow can't believe that she could be any better than Patsy Cline or Wanda Jackson. I know that is old school but I reckon so am I.

KSL
KSL 07/17/12 - 10:55 pm
If the obituaries and your

If the obituaries and your money are so important, pass on the rants and raves.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/18/12 - 05:43 am
G'morning

posters and posers

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/12 - 07:09 am
Wait a minute

Let's not be so tough on ranter 2...at least that person appreciates good quality posters when they see them...:)

A suggestion....pay up-join us,,heck we might even knowya.

Good am troublemakers-good guys-pretty people-sheriffs in the making-big truck drivers :)--those who want to write a novel but can't find time because they are always posting on here hoping some huge important businessman will notice their talents & hire them with a beginning salary of 1million.....whew!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/12 - 07:16 am
Jake

Wanda Jackson is a fav of mine too....guess I'm from the ole school too!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/18/12 - 07:43 am
Wanda Jackson, Good Loving

Is there any other kind?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/18/12 - 08:03 am
Good Loving Again

Wanda Jackson was the kind of woman that would make a Saturday night in a half a double wide with the wall sealed with plastic about a half mile down a dirt road off a two lane blacktop highway with a case of Bud and a radio barely picking up 107 Eagle classic rock exciting.

bdouglas
bdouglas 07/18/12 - 08:10 am
Re: Rant #1, $214 Million

Re: Rant #1, $214 Million Lab: If only they woulda invested in some of that Marriott quality air instead!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/12 - 08:34 am
All kinds of loving..

There is good loving---secret loving--get even loving--dont wantcha but will keep ya til sumthin better comes along loving--loving on backstreet----passionate out of this world toes curled can't get enough loving!!!
I kinda like the last one myself!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/18/12 - 08:46 am
That makes my head hurt.

I thought good loving was simple with a little 50 Shades thrown in for excitement. But what do I know.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/12 - 08:47 am
Sheriff Arpaio

Well the good Sheriff is not giving up on the birth cert thingy....& Donald Trump wants to see the college records for the country of birth listing....
Spending that much money to conceal college records kinda tells me something isn't right.......

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/18/12 - 08:49 am
All this Rationalizing about First Friday

The Richmond Cty Sheriff's Officer explained the First Friday Shootout was gang warfare and that Augusta is the breeding gang for national gangs. He says it as if to explain that's why it happened. Is that supposed to make us feel better? You have to have a death wish to go to First Friday.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/12 - 08:54 am
Just remember

They are only shooting at the feet & at each other.....we don't want overblown comments on here...now do we!!
The bullets in the store windows must have been there for many many moons..

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/18/12 - 09:19 am
Hope you're joking, SeenIt

I have it on GOOD authority those bullets in Reubens's window happened that night. They had to replace them at a cost of over a thousand dollars. Bullets were flying everywhere.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/18/12 - 09:23 am
Vigilante

The only way Augusta will clean itself up is by having a little Charles Bronson action. The only trouble there is .... where do you find a Black Charles Bronson?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/18/12 - 09:25 am
Speaking of overblown...

Not unless you want to see the last 10 years of building permits listed on three different threads all day long...that is.

Well, River, that said alot about your status:)
seenit, I didn't see a compliment for the posters, just R & R's. She's got some bad taste, huh.

Good Morning and what a gorgeous day!
So happy to know that the landscaper received emergency assistance without someone worrying about whether he was legal. Thank you, doctor & staff.

I hope nothing too exciting happens today in local politics or commenting. I got so much done yesterday and a mile long list for today.

Good Morning Roadkill, where are you?! You've got a great job. A new place everyday.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/12 - 09:28 am
Yes I'm joking rm

Yes yes yes....
I just get tired of the same ole same ole posts & we do nothing about it....what happens at Augusta Mall happened at Regency.....did we save that.....what happens on first Friday happens in Atlanta...esp. around Ga Tech.....on going crazy living with bullets & thugs running the show.....black leaders run downtown Atlanta ..they haven't been able to change it.......

When will it be ENOUGH??
Will we someday stay stuck in our home because it isn't safe to wander outside......you see how many articles we have about this.....

I'm tired this am....my mind is tired.....I just broke a fake fingernail---my fake boob deflated--I stepped on my hearing aid....etc etc..
bye bye for today........

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/18/12 - 09:33 am
Good am Cgee

I 100% agree with your post.....call me sometimes..:)

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/18/12 - 09:33 am
Welcome home, CG. I missed

Welcome home, CG. I missed you so much. Hope your brother is doing well. XXO

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 07/18/12 - 09:35 am
Re: 1st Fri.

Which sheriff's candidate has a plan for dealing with the the youth crime?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/18/12 - 09:39 am
WB

Friday will be 3 weeks in ICU with the same 50-50.

allhans
allhans 07/18/12 - 09:55 am
Rand Paul issues warning...

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently announced the Obama Administration will be working hand-in-glove with the UN to pass a new “Small Arms Treaty.”

Disguised as an “International Arms Control Treaty” to fight against “terrorism,” “insurgency” and “international crime syndicates,” the UN’s Small Arms Treaty is in fact a massive, GLOBAL gun control scheme

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/18/12 - 09:58 am
CG, I'm so sorry to hear

CG, I'm so sorry to hear that. I know it's a very difficult time for everyone who loves him. I will keep him in my prayers and all of you.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/18/12 - 10:06 am
Shaft?

Cobalt George wrote:

Wasn't Richard Roundtree Shaft?

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/18/12 - 10:18 am
Interesting article I read

Interesting article I read this morning on Yahoo News. “President Obama has based his entire reelection campaign on a vicious, dishonest assault on Mitt Romney's business career. The real question for President Obama is this: if Bain Capital is so bad, why have you taken nearly $120,000 in donations from them?

One of Obama's top campaign financiers - Jonathan Lavine - is also managing director at Bain, bundling between $100,000 and $200,000 in contributions for the 2012 Obama Victory Fund, according to estimates released by the Obama campaign.

Obama and his re-election campaign have been hammering Romney for reaping huge profits at the helm of Bain…..talk about Obama's hypocrisy.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/18/12 - 10:42 am
If Richard Roundtree could

If Richard Roundtree could make any difference in the new youth culture, he would be in the best position where he is, as the Head of Richmond County Schools Safety Department.

The Sheriff's job is one of enforcement of the law, not a social worker position. Our problem is, we always expect one to do it all; it doesn't work in families, in business and it will certainly not work in the community. Everyone needs to know where their responsibilities begin and end in order to do well in anything.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 07/18/12 - 11:03 am
But aren't you a member of

But aren't you a member of society first? Then school... Are the misfits even going to school?

Richard Roundtree would be best as a sheriff of a majority minority city.

We need someone not cut from the same cloth as always, here in Augusta.

We need something different....unless you like the same ol same, which many here seem to not mind.....I.e. Downtown Augusta.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/18/12 - 05:29 pm
Henry, I really don't know

Henry, I really don't know what you are inferring to by "different". If you are trying to say Sheriff Strength has not done an excellent job as Sheriff, working within a limited budget and among many people who have no boundaries, you are wrong. Though he has not served perfectly, he has served with excellence and honor and his shoes are going to be very difficult to fill. Did he prevent all crime in RC? No, he didn't, and neither will Roundtree nor any of the rest of them.

Richard Roundtree did not serve the citizens of Richmond County honorably as a deputy, therefore should not be trusted with the high office of Sheriff. Even laying all of that aside, Roundtree promises things/changes that are not realistic and cannot be delivered. If he can truly make a difference in today's youth, he can certainly make that difference right where he is. Let's see him perform on that promise first.

What you are suggesting is that since most of the population in DT Augusta is black and there is black on black crime, that the Sheriff must also be black. That's complete nonsense. Let’s all try to remember the Sheriff isn’t your daddy or savior.

bdouglas
bdouglas 07/18/12 - 12:25 pm
ICL said: "According to the

ICL said: "According to the Center for Responsive Politics, which tracks Federal Election Commission data, Obama has collected $118,121 from donors who list Bain as their employer between June 2004 and May 2012. The period covers Obama's bid for the Senate and his presidential campaigns."

Why does that matter? I'm not voting for the man, nor would I defend him, but what difference does it make if he accepts donations from employees of a certain company? An employee of any company donating to any campaign does not equal an endorsement by that company for the candidate or vice versa. That's like saying accepting campaign donations from government employees is illegal because that means the government is funding his campain (which, technically, we are since we have to pay for him to get to these campaign stops, but that's another story...). Just doesn't make sense.