Aiken man, 60, dies in motorcycle crash

Monday, July 16, 2012 10:56 AM
Last updated 7:12 PM

A 60-year-old Aiken County man died Sunday evening after his motorcycle hit a tree on Old Barnwell Road.

According to the South Carolina Highway Patrol, the driver was traveling south on Old Barnwell Road on a 1972 Harley-Davidson when he went off the right side of the road at 10:50 p.m. and hit the tree.

Aiken County Coroner Tim Carlton said the driver, Jerry Siraud, of Matties Country Court, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Siraud was not wearing a helmet.

Toxicology results are pending.

His death was the 14th traffic fatality in Aiken County this year.

happychimer
happychimer 07/16/12 - 12:33 pm
SC has no helmit law.

SC has no helmit law. Everytime we go across the river, we see people on motorcycles riding with no helmit, weaving in and out of traffic. Anyone who rides a motorcyclewithout a helmit, is just asking to be killed.

Queenicess
Queenicess 07/16/12 - 01:37 pm
Helmet law or not

If an accident occurs on a motorcycle the chances of a helmet saving someone's life depends on how bad the accident is. We call helmets brain holders. If the accident is bad enough.. the only thing the helmet will do is hold the head in place... it doesn't help anything below the neck. His name is actually spelled Jerry Sirard.. and my dad has been riding his motorcycle for as long as I can remember and even before that.. and he didn't weave in and out of traffic like some of these people do. He was a great driver, a great man, and he will be missed by many people.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 07/16/12 - 05:51 pm
Queenicess

So sorry for your loss.

happychimer
happychimer 07/16/12 - 07:47 pm
I am sorry for your loss. I

I am sorry for your loss. I stand by what I said about helmets. They do save lives. I know it depends on how bad the accident is, but if that head hits the ground, they have a better chance if they are wearing a helmet.

Angelofmcy
Angelofmcy 07/16/12 - 07:53 pm
A Wonderful Man Gone Too Soon.

Jerry Sirard was a kind and generous man. A great friend, father, son and my brother. I will miss him everyday for the rest of my life. I'll always love you Jerry you were the best brother anyone could have ever had.

curly123053
curly123053 07/16/12 - 08:49 pm
Praying For The Family

I am sorry for your loss and will keep your family in my prayers.

Sister-in-law
Sister-in-law 07/17/12 - 11:26 am
Yes, Gone too Soon

The first time I met Jerry was at my wedding to his brother Bruce in 1976. He was the guy who after going thru the receiving line to kiss the bride then got back in line for a 2nd time for the kiss. Then, I realized my new brother-in-law has a sense of humor. He loved his brother and sisters, but especially loved and was proud of his children.
Jerry will be missed always and forever. Our prayers for the entire family for peace and comfort.