Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I LOVE Danielle Moores’ Dine & Dish feature! Her descriptions and details of the foods are a great help to us foodies. Please keep it going!

HATS OFF TO THE recent author workshops hosted by the downtown library. And for free, too! I sure hope they will do more of that and be sure to announce them more ahead of time.

LEE ANDERSON (GOP candidate vs. Barrow) says he wants to cut “each and every (federal government) department 5-10 percent.” Why not completely obliterate the obviously unconstitutional departments, e.g., FDA, Dept. of Education, etc.?

A RANTER SAYS if churches paid property taxes there’d be no deficit. Will churches’ taxes amount to $15 trillion? Politicians don’t care how much money government grabs; they always want more.

RAVE FOR THE Columbia County Tax Assessors Office. They valued my boat 9 percent more this year. I’ll use it for the next 10 years, then sell it to them and buy a yacht. I’ve never had a boat or vehicle increase in value every year.

MORE NONVIOLENT CRIMINALS should be used for grass cutting and other outdoor maintenance chores that we obviously don’t have enough paid city workers to handle. I would say there should be enough of them to use from probation status to also have them cut the grass of elderly homeowners or even of abandoned properties.

REPUBLICANS CLAIM TO be deficit hawks, but they refuse to raise taxes on the nation’s wealthiest by even one cent. Rather, they have proposed gutting nearly every program working-class Americans rely on just to get by.

TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO claim they will pull the new health care laws that were confirmed by the Supreme Court: Let’s hope it’s you and your relatives who reach the current cap in medical expenses and then wish there weren’t. Let’s see you and your kin be rejected for coverage of pre-existing conditions. Can you then get Romney to get some of his Cayman Island funds to cover your medical expenses you did not want covered by the new, wonderful health care laws?

OBAMA IS ORDERING Border Patrol agents to run from any “active shooter.” In other words, Obama is ordering our guards to not enforce the laws they are hired to enforce.

greggarn
greggarn 07/14/12 - 07:32 pm
Romney is your man now ?

Wow its so funny how the Republicans are lining up behind Romney now since you really dont have a choice. Months ago he was not your choice, I guess that old line " if you can't love the one you want, you love the one you are with applies here. Remember 4 yrs ago you guys were in the this same boat. Backing a guy that you knew didnt have a chance of beating Obama.

Good Luck

bclicious
bclicious 07/14/12 - 08:58 pm
Ranter #3 Lee Anderson

In reference to Lee Anderson vs Barrow. Do not trust either one. Both are not great.

Specifically concerning Lee Anderson, I do not trust him because he is a slum lord who does not maintain his rental properties. Also, he refuses to be civic minded in Harlem concerning his commercial properties.

bclicious
bclicious 07/14/12 - 09:04 pm
Ranter #6 Non-Violent Criminals

Unfortunately, the liberals have also invaded the incarceration aspect of our judicial system in Georgia. I am sure that you have noticed that our work-details (chain-gangs) have all but disappeared. Believe it or not, most criminals would work to merely pass the time, but the liberals say that it is slave labor.

As for having inmates, or even probationers to work on private property, the state doesn't really allow it. There are some very rare circumstances where it is allowed, but in general the state doesn't want the liability if something goes wrong. Also, there are a few laws out there involving things like government officials benefiting off of prison labor.

In general though, I do agree with you that we shouldn't be so strict about how prison labor, and probationer labor is used.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/14/12 - 09:17 pm
In Columbia County

... all personal property appreciates. My house, according to the tax people went up 6% last year. (Whoo-hoo!) Remarkably, my now nine-year-old truck is worth more every year as well and my tag bill increases every year as well. I was going to buy a kayak, but can't afford the taxes on a cabin cruiser.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/14/12 - 09:26 pm
Churches paying their property taxes

... would not balance the budget on any level; the politicians can (and do) always spend it faster than we can pay it. But, I do not see why they should get a pass; their exemption equates to my paying their share, whether I support their cult or not. They cry poverty at every turn, but look around: What are the largest, most ornate buildings in the city, sitting on the best located and sprawling properties?

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/14/12 - 09:26 pm
greggarn......I think Romney

greggarn......I think Romney has an excellent chance of beating
Obama. He may not have been everyone's first choice but we all agree that Obama is a disaster and anyone would be better.

And Ranter #7......WORKING class Americans don't need government programs. Working class Americans don't get anything from the government exept TAXed to pay for Americans that won't work.

And Ranter #8.....yes we want to repeal all 2700 pages of Obamacare and replace it with something that might actually work. The cost of Obamacare is now up to $2.6 trillion dollars over the first 10 years and that is on top of our current, still growing $16 trillion dollars debt. You people need to face the facts. We are broke and nobody is going to get anything from Obamacare for free. We can't pay for it and the doctors are lining up to quit in droves because they are going broke already taking Medicare and Medicaid. There will be nobody left around to treat 30 million more Medicaid/Obamacare patients.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/14/12 - 09:31 pm
Problem is

"...nearly every program working-class Americans rely on just to get by..." are being sucked dry by a multigenerational leech class who've never actually well, WORKED. 'Working class Americans' is liberal-speak for cash cows.

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 07/14/12 - 09:33 pm
"OBAMA IS ORDERING

...Border Patrol agents to run from any “active shooter." That's because he's armed the shooters better than the Border Patrol.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/14/12 - 10:39 pm
Here's a novel idea ranter

Here's a novel idea ranter ... let's tax the money that the entitlement crowd gets every month and their food stamp allowance ... oh wait ... that would be like double taxing OUR OWN money, wouldn't it?

Maybe we can make them pay a $30.00-50.00 co-pay at the doctor's office like I have to and maybe $300.00 for the emergency room and $40.00 for EACH prescription!

It's hard enough working our butts off to support the children we created .... I, for one, am TIRED of supporting everyone else's!

allhans
allhans 07/14/12 - 11:45 pm
Karen..Check out what Obama

Karen..Check out what Obama is doing with welfare and food stamps...he has lowered the bar so almost everyone is eligible.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/15/12 - 04:34 am
The Emperor's Healthcare

Has everyone supporting the Emperor's free health care plan forgotten that you have to buy it? If you don't purchase the plan it will be taken out of your taxes......OOPS...... Silly me. You don't work or pay taxes so I guess it would be free for you. Meanwhile back at the job. You know, one of those places where you actually work and pay taxes, I am not only paying for my private insurance and paying for your free insurance. Yep, sounds perfectly fair for poor Obama supporters.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 05:13 am
Good am posters of all sorts-size-color-sex-& in betweens

Hi RK.....early bird......always gets the worm....:)

Last week I noticed a lot of political signs out EVERYWHERE.....nicely surprised too....many for F Sanders & Silas.....sometimes the "smart" dogs win out over the "big" dogs..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 05:51 am
This is needed in certain races in the csra

Truthiness is a quality characterizing a "truth" that a person claims to know intuitively "from the gut" or because it "feels right" without regard to evidence, logic, intellectual examination, or facts

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/12 - 06:51 am
"Rather, they have proposed

"Rather, they have proposed gutting nearly every program working-class Americans rely on just to get by."

I must be left out. I'm a working class American and know of absolutely no program that helps me. Anyone?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/12 - 07:06 am
SeenIt, About Sylvia's Column

I thought I was going to have to get a pot of hot water to throw on my monitor reading her play about the dogs.

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/12 - 07:15 am
Mortgage deduction? Have kids

Mortgage deduction?
Have kids in school?
Deductions for kids?
Ride the US highways?
Visit National Parks, Forests, or Historic Sites?
Plan on using SS or Medicare?
Drink clean water and breathe clean air?
Kids use federal student loans?
Use a clock that has accurate time?
Watch tv or listen to radio?
Watch the weather on tv?
Eat food that's not contaminated?
Take any medications and know they the ned and strength as labeled?
Lack of safety hazards at work?

Just a few things that the government does that covers working class Americans.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 07:18 am
Hahha...funny

Yep...it does seem they are pressing the buttons...BUT here is the deal....
These men have worked together for a looong time....they know the "stuff" on each other......so what does common sense tell you...
I really don't see many more rats scurrying out of the holes....& to be honest about it.......sometimes a family is broken ---a lifetime friendship can't be repaired--a love won't be repaired........

I think the dogs will lay low.....I kinda hope so....some are more than qualified & they really need to impress the voters with that....the fact that some LOVE Richmond county with a passion means a lot to me.

We all have laundry.....I'm trying to be kinder & sweeter on here....how am I doing?

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/12 - 07:19 am
RK: If you have insurance,

RK: If you have insurance, you don't have to worry about any tax penalty. Personallly, I find it irresponsible for an adult who can affford it not to have medical insurance.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/12 - 07:26 am
TechFan

Geez, when he said programs I figured he meant food stamps, welfare, free school lunches, Medicaid, free cell phones, subsidized or free housing, huge tax rebates for those who paid nothing in.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/15/12 - 07:30 am
And once upon a time it use

And once upon a time it use to be irresponsible for an adult to demand and take something for free without at least attempting to pay for what he got.

You might have insurance and not have to worry about any tax penalty but the cost of the insurance is going to go up, the amount of copay will more than likely go up, and the wait time to see a doctor (if you can find one) will be longer and hopefully there will not be any restrictions on the service you "might" still be able to receive. Yeah, sounds like a good deal (NOT)

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/12 - 07:34 am
There's a lot of stuff the

There's a lot of stuff the government provides. There but for the grace of God, any of us could be in that position. Luckily, I haven't had to use anything in that realm but unemployment (once, in the '80's), and FMLA to care for sick relatives.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 07:38 am
Losing stuff

I haven't lost any emails but I have been losing my mind.....hearing...eye sight....& all the other stuff ...

I need a break now......sometimes politics can wear you out.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/12 - 07:43 am
SeenIt, you're hopeless

But about TechFan's list:

Mortgage deduction? So you mean I get to keep more of MY money?

Have kids in school? I pay enough in school taxes, that the kids could go to better private schools.

Deductions for kids? Again, you mean I get to keep more of MY money?

Ride the US highways? Yep, and I pay my fare with income and gas taxes.

Visit National Parks, Forests, or Historic Sites? Make them pay as you go to support them.

Plan on using SS or Medicare? Didn't I HAVE to pay MY money into it?

Drink clean water and breathe clean air? Enforcing the law is a given.

Kids use federal student loans? Nope, I'd never put that kind of debt on my kids. It's about to bankrupt the country.

Use a clock that has accurate time? Now that's a stretch. Some company would come up with the accurate time and throw in a jingle to boot. "The time in rhyme is 8:49."

Watch tv or listen to radio? Huh? All the government does is get in the way of broadcasters.

Watch the weather on tv? Yeah, the commercial generated weather channel. Many communities have privately owned weather radar owned by TV stations.

Eat food that's not contaminated? If anyone is selling contaminated food law enforcement should arrest them. Once again, a given.

Take any medications and know they the ned and strength as labeled? Thanks to the big bad pharmaceutical companies.

Lack of safety hazards at work? OHSA is a joke and tries to justify their jobs. What did we do before them?

Any chemicals at work that are labeled as to content and directions if exposure occurs? I'm sure the company that makes the chemicals pays to label it correctly because their consumers want it labeled.

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/12 - 07:47 am
The cost of insurance has

The cost of insurance has been going up since before anyone ever heard of Obama. In the decade 1999-2009, health insurance premiums increased 131%. It looks like keeping it under 13.1% a year will be a plus.

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/12 - 07:51 am
Ah, kids in school. You get

Ah, kids in school. You get to keep more of your money simply by procreating. I get to pay more to offset your deduction for spitting out kids and then more again for your kids' schooling with my property taxes. We all have to pay in for some things we don't like. That's just the way it goes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 07:52 am
For you!

If I told you I love something you do...in the last 24 hours....well this song is for you...

seeya later---:)

Gage Creed
19454
Gage Creed 07/15/12 - 09:30 am
Techfan...what about the

Techfan...what about the folks that don't pay FIT? Or state taxes yet get the benefit of all of the things you have listed...along with all of things RM listed. Seems a little onesided to me...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/15/12 - 10:21 am
I agree wholeheartedly with

I agree wholeheartedly with the use of prison labor for public purposes. As someone else pointed out, most would do it voluntarily just to get outside and get a different view of scenery. For that matter, I would not be opposed to them getting credit on their sentence in exchange for working, provided they aren't violent offenders. Put the most trustworthy on a tractor to mow the rights of way and save the taxpayers some money on state employees. Have prison farms where produce and livestock are raised to help feed the state's prisoners.
There is a heck of a lot that can be done to engage the prisoners that would keep them out of mischief, make them feel useful and productive, all the while saving the taxpayers $$$.

Bantana
2071
Bantana 07/15/12 - 10:47 am
techfan

you get several thumbsdown for reminding us the practical benefits of many government initiatives? how sad. how can anyone not understand that accurate timekeeping and federal oversight of broadcast communications are worthy of the effort? or how could anyone believe that local law enforcement has the training or resources to inspect chicken processing plants and slaughterhouses?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 11:04 am
bantana

Well welcome to our world....we get thumbs down for saying good am...or breathing....

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...