Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

BARROW MOVES every election so he can find himself inside what he believes is a safe congressional district. He no more genuinely represents Augusta than he genuinely represented Savannah. He started out living in Athens. He’s all over the place.

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT horned in and scammed 7.4 million college students by lending them our tax money, knowing that would only put more money into the hands of college administrators, so admins and top profs would profit while most of the students would end up unable to pay back what they’d borrowed. Now, having many such grads locked in, the politicians control those grads. Sweet deal if you’re a power grabbing politician.

THE TIME WASTED on naming a merged university could have gone to something productive. Is all this confusion being purposely done to destroy those schools and hospitals?

IS OBAMA HIRING more Secret Service guards and lending some to Chief Justice Roberts?

HOW CAN A DECENT paper like The Chronicle use a headline like (health) “Mandate unlikely to affect many people,” when it is DEFINITE that it will adversely affect ALL those living inside the U.S.?

HOW’S THIS FOR gross injustice? The Department of Justice ruled that the head of the Department of Justice committed no crime. Since when do accused American officials get to determine their own guilt or innocence?

I WOULD LIKE TO thank the gentleman in the blue Toyota Tundra for purchasing my meal at Chick Fil A (Robert C. Daniel Jr. Parkway) on June 30. This goes to show there are sweet people in the world! Thank you again!

RANTS TO THOSE who pass off Bariatric surgery as a quick fix for weight loss. This is not a liquid or prepacked deal. You can’t just change your mind once it is done. You can’t say I’ll do what I want this weekend and start back on Monday.

A RAVE for the people who stopped along Walton Way during my mom’s funeral procession to Westover on June 21 around 3 p.m.

GOOD LUCK TO Paine College! Yes, you have a historic background and now you need to reflect that by correcting your financial problems.

Jake
Jake 07/13/12 - 07:30 pm
Bariatric Surgery

I know of one individual who elected to have this procedure and it sure made a difference in his life and appearance. It has been six years since he chose to do this and he still is thinner and presumed healthier.
I do not knock anyone who makes a decision to try and improve their health and well-being by whatever means they have available.

Truthbetold74
Truthbetold74 07/13/12 - 08:20 pm
Does anybody else find it

Does anybody else find it weird that, according to his Campaign Expenditure Forms on ethics.ga.gov, Scott Peebles has paid 45% (Over $40,000) to a business owned and operated by his campaign manager? This same person just so happens to be the rumored next Chief Deputy if he wins the election. Plus if you look at the website for Executive Management Services they have absolutely nothing to do this type of stuff.
See ethics.ga.gov
3/27 $ 3,530.60
5/23 $ 8,380.14
6/3 $10,555.16
6/12 $ 6,822.96
6/29 $10,765.77
Pay me $10,000 a month and I’ll stand up to tell everybody how great you are too

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/13/12 - 08:54 pm
It's not so much the time

...but the million or so spent to change the old name. And now this dullard wants to get to tell us what the name CAN'T be for the new one? Dontcha think if he was as smart as everyone is believing, he shoulda thought about that before? Who does this clown have the dirt on to allow this kind of unchecked and unchallenged arrogance?

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/13/12 - 09:03 pm
No need

...for more security for Roberts. Conservatives are the ones who obey the law rather than resort to murder. All our assassins have been leftists, including most recently, the man who shot Rep. Giffords-- although the media tried to paint him differently. Going over to the socialists engenders no threat; it is the unions' thugs and leftwingers like Ayers and MoveOn that are the threat. And he has done their dirty work for them; making the law up out of whole cloth, like Roe v Wade.

dwb619
dwb619 07/13/12 - 10:04 pm
union thugs

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 10:59 pm
Excellent Rant About College and the Feds

Anything the federal government gets into is a disaster waiting to happen. The student loans are about to bankrupt the country. The feds start loaning students money and pretty soon people not even remotely college material are going to school paying the salaries of college professors and administrators who will keep the egalitarian party line lie alive.

These misguided young people get out of college and can't find a job, yet are tens of thousands in debt. Close 75% of the colleges in the country and start more apprenticeships for trades that don't cost the government a penny. Everyone from the students, industry and tax payers will be better off.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 11:09 pm
Dwb asked about union thugs

"I wish I knew how to spot them in a restaurant, ball game,lake,beach,church,etc."

They are the bent nosed guys with Obama bumper stickers. In restaurants, ball games, at the beach or in church, they are the ones making demands the others don't get.

dwb619
dwb619 07/13/12 - 11:10 pm
Well, now I know.

Haven't seen any of them, but now I know what to look for.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 11:11 pm
Glad to Help

But realize they are rarely found in Right to Work States.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 11:19 pm
Truthbetold74

Good point, but sometimes if we had little GPS tracking devices on every dollar "spent" for campaigns we may be surprised.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/13/12 - 11:51 pm
Two Bariatric Procedures

in my household in the last 6 months. All I see is fantastic results. And when I attend meetings with others who have had the procedure, I see nothing but happiness all the way around. I have never met anyone who had any significant complications from the surgery. (But WOW is it painful!)
Since I had my procedure done, I have eliminated 6 medications from my cabinet and now only take a multi and some calcium. Between lowered grocery bills, less frequent copays on visits and drugs, etc, we'll break even on the deductibles before year's end.
The odds on being heavy again within 7 years are about 50-50. I'll take a coin flip any day.
I highly recommend the procedure. It is life saving and life changing.

KSL
KSL 07/14/12 - 06:33 am
How did you arrive at needing that surgery

I really don't mean to be judgemental. I just have no understanding about huge wait gains because no one in my family nor my husband's family has been particularly over weight that I am aware of. Though husband could stand to lose a few pounds, probably about 10.

I can wear the same clothes I wore 20 yesars ago and often do. Get compliments on them because co-workers think they are brand new. I don't buy new clothes anymore because I just cannot justfy it, considering the income we have lost during the Obama regime. The damage we suffered was worse as a result of Carter, but the dollar amount as a result of the current White House crook is astounding and will no doubt overtake Carter's impact going forward, the going forward being the operative.

oldfella
oldfella 07/14/12 - 07:49 am
The capacity of your stomach

While bariatric surgery is quite safe, consider this: even if your stomach is smaller YOU CAN STILL GET FAT if you eat too many fattening foods and don't exercise. Yep - if your stomach is 1/2 the size but you eat twice as often, you are back to square one. I had my stomach reduced because of a tumor - I had no choice. But it had no effect on my weight. Sure, I couldn't do the "all you can eat" buffet thing, but if I snacked all day on unhealthy foods I still took in too many calories. It wasn't until 18 months ago that I decided to get fit and lower my bodyfat percentage, and really focused on my goal. My point? Stomach capacity doesn't matter - it's what you put in it and how often you eat. It's a fuel tank - X amount will still go in, you just have to fill it more often.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/14/12 - 09:18 am
KSL...

Count yourself lucky of no overweight people in your family. True, overeating causes you to gain weight. BUT! Family history determines alot. Goes, for tendency to be overweight, heart disease, diabetes, I could go on. For some, it's harder to maintain simply because of our family history. Yes, you can spend your life fighting your family history, but that only goes so far.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 09:38 am
what chu mean cgee...

I'll take the blame --i did ya wrong---now please baby --come on back....don't make me begg Cgee...

allhans
allhans 07/14/12 - 09:51 am
A young man in my family had

A young man in my family had the surgery done, looked fantastic, and is now back to gaining weight.
I want to cry...it's hard to look at him and not want to ask "why?"

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 09:57 am
First Friday

I see that the soldiers may be banned from downtown & First Fridays happenings....weeel now...good to see the army GETS IT!
Really not worth throwing a life away for foolish-young-hormone pumping guys/gals....just marking a turf that really doesn't exist anyway...
Now the movers /shakers will start moving & shaking their behind & FIX THIS....drastic moves will clean up this mess....just like at Penn state.....NIP IT IN THE BUD.....if the leaders had done their job in the 80s...the dang REGENCY Mall would still be there pumping out $$ for Richmond county.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 10:05 am
Bestow my affection..:)

Now let me see ...wher do I want to put my AFFECTION today...hmmmm
I think countyman will get it....
How are you cm...I really do like your positive attitude.....I never report you btw.....I like to know what new happenings are coming our way....can I call you a friend?? I hope so..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 10:21 am
Btw countyman

If you would send me some Starbucks caps/aprons/coffe mugs ...I will promote like crazy on here......if you send coffee too I really would mesmerize ya with my ads......send rm something too....his mouth is the best in the South..:):)

now an omelet with cut up tomatoes has my name on it!!
seeya troublemakers later......

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/14/12 - 10:24 am
Seenit

I just said something similar on the Starbucks thread. Give us cups so we can make a fashion statement walking around with them like teenage girls do. Starbucks socialists...wouldn't we be cool?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 10:26 am
hahha River

Heck...we are COOL.....why do think we get soooo many thumbs down.....:)

SheilaJ15
SheilaJ15 07/14/12 - 10:50 am
Congrats DMPerryJr on Your Surgery!

I am glad to hear you did so well with your surgery as other people who have posted here. But every individuals outcome is not always so positive. My son in-law weighted almost 500 lbs when he decided to have this surgery. He was not just thinking of himself, he wanted to be able to be around when his 6 year old was growing up so the job would not be left for his wife to raise their child alone. That was 3 years ago and he is just now started having a more normal life. In those 3 years he has been in and out of the hospital for complications caused from this surgery--almost dying several times. And he was very compliant with everything he was told to do so his complications were not caused because he did or did not do something right. This surgery is something that a person should take very seriously before under taking it--don't let people tell you it is always safe, because it isn't. I also had an ex sister in-law who died from complications from this surgery--she was in her 30s at the time. Glad everything turned out so well for you. You were one of the lucky ones.

allhans
allhans 07/14/12 - 11:00 am
Anybody need a car for two

Anybody need a car for two months...paid for by us, the taxpayers...:

In an attempt to conquest new buyers and recover from slipping sales, General Motors is offering what appears to be a win/win for prospective customers: the opportunity to get a full refund, tax included, on any 2012 or 2013 model year Chevy within 60 days if the customer is not happy with their vehicle

Read more: GM Offers 60 Day Returns... Again - Popular Mechanics

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 11:06 am
For countyman

niiiccccce .....makes ya go..hmmmmmm-wowie---luvs it---omg omg----
put avocados & maters cut up on top....

someone nearby will say "I'll have what she's having" hahha

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 11:13 am
anotherday

Thanks for the email...naughty but accurate.......some females just don't "think"...hahhah

KSL
KSL 07/14/12 - 11:34 am
Bama, I know that genes have

Bama, I know that genes have a lot to do with one's health. But I am talking about my knowledge of 2 generations above and 2 below, and it includes spouses. Well my grand children's generation does not have spouses nor will have in the next decade or 2.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/14/12 - 11:41 am
Genetics surely does play a

Genetics surely does play a huge part in someones tendency to be overweight but even more important are poorly "learned" eating habits. I wonder sometimes how much is genetics and how much is that people tend to follow the habits of their teachers (i.e., their parents) so they develop a learned behavior from observation.

My husband and I have had numerous heated discussions because I do not believe in feeding kids candy, Little Debbie cakes, and other junk food when they say "I'm hungry". My first question when my kids have said "I'm hungry" is "Do you want me to make you ...?" If their reply is "No, I want a cupcake, etc." then I know THEY ARE NOT HUNGRY they want junk.

However, I have to be careful (as pointed out to me) about making my kids anorexic or bulemic because I catch myself saying "If you keep eating that mess you are going to be a big ole fat person." lol

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/14/12 - 11:51 am
SeenIt ... I must be the

SeenIt ... I must be the COOLEST poster on here if you go by the thumbs down! lol ... I get thumbs down by people on here while I am still forming the comment in my head and it hasn't even been posted ... that's how COOL I am!!! haha

KSL
KSL 07/14/12 - 12:17 pm
Karen, you are right. I was

Karen, you are right. I was brought being served a healthy variety of foods. But I don't particularly have a sweet tooth. Give me meat and vegetables, and cheese. There is a lot known about diet and body makeup that is not well dispersed. For instance, it is believed that blood type influences whether you crave carbs or protein. But if I have a carb craving, which I do from time to time, it is going to be for those dastardly white carbs like rice and potatoes, not ice cream. So it is brown rice and red potatoes with skins. And I do love pasta. Now that is a carb that has no limits in my life, particularly the older I get. Must be the 1/4th Italian.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/14/12 - 12:31 pm
ksm

Boy do I know that feeling....sometimes when I'm forming a comment in my mind ---somethin bings on my email--lo & behold it tells me to stop that thought.....to fergitaboutit!!.....sometimes I listen....& sometimes not.....but when I wanted to comment on the toe sucking atWalmart....I swear toya...Sean came to me in a dream like state & said my behind would be "missed on here"....I got it!!!