Announcing All-Access membership model

Dear Valued Subscriber,

Dana T. Atkins is president of The Augusta Chronicle.  Staff
Staff
Dana T. Atkins is president of The Augusta Chronicle.

For 227 years and tens of thousands of editions, The Augusta Chronicle has been the source for news in the Augusta area. Until the mid-1990s, our focus was on publishing every day on one platform – the printed newspaper. Now, we publish all the time and on multiple devices.

As our loyal subscriber, you will benefit from this growth. Beginning today, you will receive several enhancements to your subscription to The Augusta Chronicle print edition, as it becomes an All-Access membership.

This improved format includes a modest price increase of 85 cents per week, however, we’ve taken numerous steps to ensure the increase is offset with tangible added-value initiatives.

This new “membership” means you have unlimited and exclusive access to all premium digital content online and through our tablet and smartphone apps in addition to your ongoing print subscription.

We also are adding expanded news and content:

• More news and commentary in our newly expanded Sunday Opinion section.

• More public safety and crime reporting to include more in-depth stories.

• More coverage of local news and events.

In addition to enhanced content, you will receive discounts and deals available only to All-Access member through our new Member Rewards program.

We keep changing and adapting.

The world of news and information keeps changing. The recent technological advances bring us great convenience, at our fingertips, in the form of smartphones, tablets and an array of social media channels. We are here to help you navigate this new and exciting access to news and information.

For the media, this new digital age also has sparked enormous change. It has required us to transform rapidly, restructure our staffs and develop new skill sets to deliver information in more efficient and effective ways. We are working to keep up with the most digitally savvy readers, who are a big part of our future.

YOU have made us the No. 1 local Web site for news, downloaded more than 20,000 Chronicle mobile apps and followed us – and our staff – on Facebook and Twitter.

The free nature of the Internet created a significant challenge to our old business model – an issue we have discussed with you before. In 2010, we stopped giving our content away and started charging for access to our premium content online. That change leads us to today. We have listened to you and we have heard you loud and clear: You use us interchangeably in all our forms and your subscription should allow the same diversity in access. Now, if you subscribe to The Augusta Chronicle in any way, you get it all – print and digital – an All-Access membership. We will no longer have print-only subscriptions.

Today: Your home delivery print subscription will transform into an All-Access membership.

You will have immediate, unlimited and exclusive access to all of our digital content and platforms along with print delivery. In addition to the print newspaper, your membership will include:

• The e-newspaper edition: A digital replica of the daily newspaper viewable through an Internet browser on most computers. Review and read your newspaper on your laptop; or print out articles.

• Unfettered access to all content posted on augustachronicle.com, the most comprehensive news source available in the market. Join in the conversation with our comments feature, and interact through in-depth databases, blogs, videos and commentaries.

• Access to all the latest headlines and news stories in a mobile platform either through an app for the iPhone® and Android™ or through our mobile Web site, all easily accessible on any smartphone. It’s news that’s portable and ready to go whenever and wherever you need it.

• Unlimited use of The Augusta Chronicle iPad app, an enhanced newspaper reading experience showing the daily newspaper embedded with interactive features and multimedia. Search and share stories on Facebook and more.

• Access to our upcoming Kindle Fire or Android apps.

Announcing the All-Access Member Rewards Program.

You ALSO will receive our new All-Access Member Rewards Program. This new program will give you exclusive access to discounts at more than 40 area retailers and is only available to members. You can start accessing these discounts today at www.augustachronicle.com/allaccess/rewards.

The price is going up, but it’s worth it.

Effective at your next renewal, the price of your home delivery subscription/All-Access membership will increase by 85 cents per week. Print-only subscriptions no longer will be offered. For only pennies more a day, you now have complete access to all of our content via print, Web, e-edition, mobile and tablet. You also have complete, unlimited use of the All- Access Member Rewards program. Non-members/non-subscribers simply won’t get it.

Activate today!

You can start benefiting from the digital portion of your subscription/membership today by registering at www.augustachronicle.com/allaccess/activate. It’s simple, easy and required to get your account set up and ready to enjoy. There’s also a frequently asked questions (FAQ) section there to help you with any questions you might have about the registration process or technical support. You can also reach us at (706) 722-5620 if you have specific questions on our All-Access membership or how to activate it.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 07/14/12 - 11:41 pm
I would subscribe if you had

I would subscribe if you had a balanced editorial policy. Why should I pay to be fed a steady diet of right wing extremist editorials and columns? Just sayin' the truth. Wonder how long it will take for you to delete this comment, not because it doesn't comply with your rules of civility, but because it calls The Chronicle editorial board out for their extremist views. I daresay I'm not the only person who thinks this is so.

allhans
allhans 07/15/12 - 12:16 am
I have no problem with an

I have no problem with an additional 85 cents a week.
I like that we will now make one payment rather than two.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/15/12 - 07:05 am
The truth in a nutshell

The price is going up, but it’s worth it.

well ok then.....just tell me you appreciate my business & want to keep me happy.....with that "extra" money you should be able to put the dang discussion page back on here!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/15/12 - 08:04 am
I don't understand it all,

I don't understand it all, but I'll pay someone NOT to deliver the hard copy paper to my house.

csrareader
csrareader 07/15/12 - 09:22 am
I don't see any change

I activated the All Access thing and see no changes. In fact, there's no way to sign in after activating account. Looks like this brainstorm wasn't ready to launch.

Jake
Jake 07/15/12 - 11:01 am
@JRHC

I agree, a little diversity in the editorial section would be refreshing.

I am not sure how this will change my status with the AC since I don't purchase the home delivered print edition. I don't see the AC flying someone out here daily to throw the paper on my lawn and then flying back.

Insider Information
Insider Information 07/15/12 - 11:02 am
This says nothing about the

This says nothing about the e-mail we received yesterday, which announced that the price for digital subscriber's is more than doubling to $16 a month.

The audio book version of the Chronicle is getting more and more tempting... Just turn the radio on during the morning drive to work and their "journalists" will read the Chronicle to you word for word...and it's free.

Jake
Jake 07/15/12 - 11:12 am
Best Value

OK, I just read the price breakdown and something doesn't make sense to me. For $16 a month you get ONLY the digital edition but for $11.63 a month you get the digital edition AND the home delivered print edition.
Why is it cheaper to get something extra? It would make sense to purchase the $11.63 option and tell them to keep the printed edition or give it away to someone else unless they want to deliver it out here to California. Maybe I could just have them kept in a box at the AC and I will pick them up when I am back in town.

happychimer
happychimer 07/15/12 - 11:16 am
I subscribe to the online

I subscribe to the online service only, and my price will remain the same till the end of this year. I agree with John on this.I won't be paying the new rate. I don't use web on my phone. I will probably let a few posters know my facebook name, but I don't argue politics.

TParty
TParty 07/15/12 - 11:28 am
Currently I'm paying $6.95 a

Currently I'm paying $6.95 a month to access AC online, and by the end of the year my rates will go up to $16.00 a month. This paper is not worth the 130% increase. Only a few more months I'll be giving my business to AC.

Jake
Jake 07/15/12 - 11:36 am
Abandon ship!

Please, don't everyone leave. It will be hollow sounding in here without some of the regulars I like to read.

allhans
allhans 07/15/12 - 12:29 pm
Home Delivery $16.25

Okay. I get home delivery, including the weekly TV section, and I pay $16.25 a month. In addition I pay Press+ 2.95 a month.
I will now pay the entire amount to the Chronicle with the additional charge. Since I pay monthly, I don't know the exact amount.

I entered the All-Access and subscribed to it with no problem at all.

12barblues
12barblues 07/15/12 - 03:19 pm
Re:JohnRandoph...

"I would subscribe if you had a balanced editorial policy. Why should I pay to be fed a steady diet of right wing extremist editorials and columns?"
I absolutely agree with you JohnRandolph. The AC's reporting is top-notch but we get sick of reading the same editorials day after day. I won't be subscribing either.

bar123
bar123 07/15/12 - 05:15 pm
Price is going to be to high

Price is going to be to high for access. Count me out as of 12/31/12

Jeff.hartley@augustachronicle.com
Jeff.hartley@augustachronicle.com 07/15/12 - 05:28 pm
Answers to some of the questions/concerns posted here

Hoping to clarify one of the questions/comments posted...current augustachronicle.com digital subscribers paying $6.95 per month will not see an adjustment in price until the end of the year. Hope that helps.

happychimer
happychimer 07/15/12 - 06:00 pm
Yep till the end of the year,

Yep till the end of the year, and then I am gone from here.I am not paying that high price just to read the paper online. No.

Insider Information
Insider Information 07/15/12 - 06:23 pm
I could understand raising

I could understand raising the online service a buck or two. I might even be OK with raising it to $10, but $16?

I'm with the rest of you. I'm out at the end of the year as well.

I'll just watch the folks on TV read the paper to me and save the money.

Jeff.hartley@augustachronicle.com
Jeff.hartley@augustachronicle.com 07/15/12 - 06:51 pm
More clarification

The $16 monthly fee will give you unlimited and exclusive access to our content on all platforms, not just augustachronicle.com. This includes our tablet app, mobile app and our mobile site, the e-edition and our website.

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/12 - 06:52 pm
I'm with Jake, why does it

I'm with Jake, why does it cost more to NOT get the paper delivered?
"STARTING"as low as $11.63 a month.
Can't use the iPad feature.
Can't use the iPhone or Android feature.
Don't want piles of coupons cluttering my in box from businesses I don't use.
Don't want home delivery to have tons of paper piling up around the house (also. unless a change has been made, we're too rural to have delivery and the paper is mailed. I've pretty much covered all of the news I want to read by the afternoon when the mail runs.)
The only thing that would justify a 130% rate increase would be to include access to the archives but, of course, that's not included.

happychimer
happychimer 07/15/12 - 07:40 pm
techfan you can get free

techfan you can get free access to the archives by way of the library's site.Just ask for username and password at the library.

Techfan
Techfan 07/15/12 - 07:40 pm
Which library. We've been

Which library. We've been having to pay and have a limited number of downloads.

pep607
pep607 07/15/12 - 08:33 pm
Bye to all the seniors out there

We do not own all of those gadgets. I paid 2.95 to read paper the months a year when I am in FL and do not want dead tree paper in my yard. (Of course, I never got the on line version to work and was getting ready to cancel it.) Now you want more money and I cannot read but ONE paper. Don't have all those gadgets. I have a computer and a front yard. You have been given some bad advice or the information is incorrect.

pep607
pep607 07/15/12 - 08:35 pm
TV Guide????

Just noticed this. Mine quit when I went on vacation and never came back. So now I hear it is still out there.

Jake
Jake 07/15/12 - 08:46 pm
Jeff.hartley

Please answer the question about why it is going to cost more for the digital only folks to pay more for the same thing the home delivery people are getting? They get the extra thing of a home delivered paper that has got to cost something extra in terms of delivery plus wood pulp and print. Your pricing structure makes no sense at all. Please enlighten us.

Jake
Jake 07/15/12 - 08:53 pm
Second thought

I am only guessing but I presume that the AC wants to get out of the subscriber commenting business. They have probably had enough of monitoring comments and would just as soon get rid of the headaches that we sometimes cause. If so, bye-bye to all.

Jeff.hartley@augustachronicle.com
Jeff.hartley@augustachronicle.com 07/15/12 - 09:23 pm
More on digital only price increase

I hope this will clear up the question on pricing for digital-only subscriptions. Each platform (i.e. augustachronicle.com) likely will be available for $9.95 per month in the very near future. I hope that quells some of the concern. It wasn't detailed at launch because a la carte pricing technology isn't ready yet. Early adopters enjoy original pricing until we work that out. Sorry for the confusion.

TParty
TParty 07/15/12 - 09:25 pm
You know, the New York Times

You know, the New York Times has a few plans for their service and access. Maybe Augusta Chronicle can look into that.

Another question: How is the advertising coming along for AC? Is the paper losing, gaining, or staying steady in that area?

Jake
Jake 07/15/12 - 09:32 pm

Thanks Jeff, I await the clarification in pricing because many folks seem put off by the structure as it has been presented.

fftaz71
fftaz71 07/15/12 - 09:35 pm
And herein lies the root of the problem.....

Jeff...why would anyone roll out a new program BEFORE all the details are worked out? This lack of information alienates the very people you are trying to woo. IF the people who only see that they will pay 16.00 a month for digital access only decide that its not worth the cost (which it honestly isnt) what makes you think that rolling out an a la carte menu will bring them back? Youve lost those people....

fedex227
fedex227 07/15/12 - 09:53 pm
Afraid I'm going to have to join the chorus.

$10 a month for my Netflix. $12 a month for SiriusXM radio- but $16 for online access to the AC? I'm not an app, iphone, or ipad guy so maybe it's a good deal for some. Think I'll be looking for the exit come year's end.

Gander Mountain opens

Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain opened at 9 a.m. today at 145 Mason McKnight Jr. Parkway, across from CarMax.