Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

COLORADO IS BURNING. The Mississippi River is running low on water, and America’s top government leaders are turning out to be renegades. Does it sound like the chaos of Biblical prophecy is happening before our eyes?

DIAMOND LAKES PARK is looking as bad as downtown. The Augusta Recreation Department needs a lot of help.

SOME SCHOOL CROSSING GUARDS are upset about the seasonal work and various benefits. The solution is easy. Either take the job or don’t. But don’t expect something for nothing, especially when the something is paid for by taxpayers.

A RANT TO the Augusta Animal Services staff. I found a dog on my way from home - scared, cold, wet and hungry. I went out of my way to get him out of the cold. When I called Richmond County Animal Services - they told me that I could drop the dog off, but they would NOT give me the number of the owner (due to privacy policies, they claimed). I found the dog right in front of my neighborhood with its leash and collar on so I KNEW the owner lived right next to me. But instead - they insisted that I drive 20 miles out of my way to drop it off.

HAVE YOU NOTICED OBAMA’S statements lately about how he’s going to save the middle class? That’s the same middle class that he has attacked with Obamacare that will raise taxes.

WHEN DID SUPREME COURT Chief Justice John Roberts warp into Aaron Burr?

NADPS OFFICER, Five Notch Road on June 28, 5:30ish. You were in excess of 90 mph around a blind curve. You crossed the center lane because of your speed. You could have killed my family. You were going to a brush fire!

OBAMA SPENT A FEW million dollars more of your tax money to fly to Colorado to make sure the expert firefighters there got it right.

HUGE RAVE TO Dr. Maddox at the University Hospital Emergency Room. I thought most of the kind, thoughtful and attentive doctors were a thing of the past. University is blessed to have such a wonderful doctor representing the emergency room.

BRANUM’S SEWING and Vacuum Center, Inc. you are the best.

DID OBAMA MAKE A deal with Supreme Court Chief Justice Roberts? Is that legal?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/12 - 08:14 pm
#1. No #2. Is it the

#1. No
#2. Is it the maintenance or the people using it?
#3. I agree. You can always walk, even in this economy.
#4. Very nice of you to pick the dog up. I hope a kind soul like you finds my dog should we ever get separated.
#5. Been noticing the lies and doublespeak for 3.5 years now.
#6. Stay tuned on Roberts, he may have made a pretty slick move.
#7. Sounds typical for the Barney Fife's all depts are saddled with. Hopefully, they are few.
#8. Is anyone surprised?
#9. My friend got excellent care there as well, after another popular hospital botched him up.
#10. I don't vacuum or sew.
#11. See #6.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/12/12 - 10:23 pm
Jake
Jake 07/12/12 - 11:12 pm
Branum's

I will agree with this rave. They sewed my brother's vacuum and it is still holding up. They also advised him on some financial investments while he was waiting and they panned out to be quite lucrative. And they will also give you scones and Earl Grey tea while you are waiting.

Jake
Jake 07/12/12 - 11:17 pm
School crossing guards

This has to be a Rodney Dangerfield job, you know, "no respect". When I was a kid they made us do it in grade school. You got to wear the white stripe thing around your waist and shoulder with an official pin on it. It was a badge of honor for us kids because it was the only thing we could do with some sort of official backing at school.

Jane18
Jane18 07/13/12 - 09:50 am
R&R #1

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/13/12 - 11:09 am
I has been a real pleasure

I has been a real pleasure meeting so many of you and enjoyed conversing with the ones that I didn't meet.

This is my last post.

harley_52
harley_52 07/13/12 - 01:45 pm
I'm very sorry to hear that,

I'm very sorry to hear that, CG. I hate to see you go, but I'm sure you know what's best for you. Let me be the first to wish you Godspeed, good fortune, and the very best of luck in whatever it is that will occupy your spare time.

Hope to hear from you again sometime.

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/13/12 - 01:56 pm
NADPS

EVERYONE knows these guys are egoists! And, to get the job, their I.Q., MUST exceed their shoe size!

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/13/12 - 04:19 pm
Farewell to CG

and the best of luck - good wishes and God's blessing! You will certainly be missed. ;>(

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 04:47 pm
Voting Along Racial Lines

Tell me what locale in the nation doesn't vote along racial lines?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/13/12 - 05:15 pm
Voting Along Racial Lines

I'd say most. If we all voted on strict racial lines --except with the racists' court appointed set-asides-- less than 10% of offices would be held by anything other than ethnic white males. Although we are fast becoming a minority, it is still enough to win every election. If whites only voted for whites, we would not have the present racist-in-chief as President.

Jake
Jake 07/13/12 - 05:22 pm
Welcome back CG

Welcome back and bye I guess. What's up with leaving?

No one had better get over 10,000 points (Retired Army, CG) or you end up gone for some reason.
Hope you will reconsider as I think most who post have something to add even if you personally agree with it or not.
I had a post pulled last night about the dating scam but never got a note about why it was yanked, which is fine. Some of the censoring seems arbitrary at times but, hey, I don't run the asylum, I'm only a patient.

Jake
Jake 07/13/12 - 05:32 pm
Racial Lines

I think most folks vote along party lines instead of racial lines. Sad because sometimes the better person is not in the party that you blindly support.

harley_52
harley_52 07/13/12 - 05:44 pm
I agree with Jake. It's much

I agree with Jake. It's much more common to vote along Party lines than race, at least among white voters.

Race is an issue in some elections, I must admit. Support of Obama among blacks definitely has a strong racial component. And it's pretty well established that white females supporting Obama turned the 2008 election his way. They thought it would be so.....um..."post racial" to elect a black man as President. It would make them "feel" so good about themselves.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 05:55 pm
Well, possibly among white

Well, possibly among white voters they will at times vote for a black. Allen West, the black Republican in Florida, comes to mind. Black Republicans usually draw their share of white votes. But I'll go back to the fact blacks vote along racial lines. Every large city with a predominantly black population votes for a Democratic black candidate. Whites don't get elected even if they run as Democrats in black districts. All generalizing of course, but Obama did get 98% of their vote.

harley_52
harley_52 07/13/12 - 06:03 pm
You've nailed it, Riverman.

You've nailed it, Riverman.

harley_52
harley_52 07/13/12 - 06:08 pm
I will vote for the most

I will vote for the most Conservative candidate whether he/she is Repbublican/democrat, male/female, white/black/other. I think there are lots of people who see it that way too. And, sadly, I think there are people who would use the same rationale, only replacing "Conservative" with "liberal."

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 06:15 pm
The part where it comes back

The part where it comes back to my original statement is blacks vote for black liberals instead of whites. Of course we know blacks are liberals by a large percentage. A white liberal doesn't stand a chance in a black district and a white conservative wouldn't even park his car there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 06:17 pm
Harley, West is Something Ain't He?

One of ours. A former Army Bn commander who takes nothing off the libs or Obama.

harley_52
harley_52 07/13/12 - 06:22 pm
I love Allen West. He has a

I love Allen West. He has a lot of potential for higher office. I'd like to see him be Romney's choice for VP.

Of course the liberals are portraying him as some sort of right-wing nutcase and an uncle tom. That's what they always do with blacks who refuse to assume the status of a "victim."

I guess you've heard the story about why he stopped being a battalion commander and retired from the Army?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 06:32 pm
Yeah, that was a shame what

Yeah, that was a shame what happened to him for THAT. I had an O-6 friend I've known forever get fined $30,000, one month's house arrest and a forced retirement last year. You can't even soldier anymore.

Jake
Jake 07/13/12 - 06:53 pm
Riverman @6:15

I think a white liberal would be a shoe-in in a predominantly black district if the choice was between a white liberal and a conservative black person. The thing being that there are not many conservative black people running.

Jake
Jake 07/13/12 - 07:10 pm
Condi Rice

I read an interesting article today in SFGate by Debra Saunders (token conservative columnist in a decidedly liberal paper) about Condi Rice maybe being the VP nominee. Her article stated that Rice pretty much does not want the job and the reason being is that she loathes campaigning. Too cut-throat and vexing for her tastes which I find to be absolutely true. It is a shame that the highest offices in our country have come down to a beauty contest much like American Idol.
I like Ron Paul but when is the last time you heard about him?
Debra Saunders may be the "token conservative" here but at least we get to read an opposing view in a liberal paper which is better than I can say for the Augusta Chronicle which has NO opposing views expressed in editorial form. Goebbels would be proud.

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.