Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A SPECIAL THANK-YOU to the gentleman who works in the optical department at Walmart in North Augusta. Not only did he do a good job, but he was very pleasant and polite.

WHEN ARE THESE generations who have been on the Medicaid-food-stamp wagon all these years going to wake up and realize they are not going to be getting these giveaways programs much longer. The Mexicans will be getting the money.

PLEASE PRINT SOME MORE ABOUT the Democrats. I am so sick and tired of Republicans all over the paper. It makes me nauseated. I love Democrats. I hope they will get a lot of votes in the election.

I TOOK MY GRANDDAUGHTER to two movies that I thought would be appropriate for children. One, Legend of the Guardians, was too dark and violent all the way through. The second one, Big, had profanity throughout and touching private parts on a woman with her blouse off. It was totally inappropriate for kids.

DO ANY OF THE STORES in Augusta have catalogs where women can order clothes? I am just about disabled and can’t get out to do any shopping and I need some clothes.

JESSICA ON CHANNEL 12, slow down your talking so we can understand you.

THE COMMUNIST SO-CALLED Supreme Court showed which side of the bread they put their butter on. They are either scared of the communist president or communist themselves.

MY BOOK IS CALLED Years of Writing. I am a senior citizen and I hope it will be in Barnes and Noble soon. I have a lot to tell the people.

TO DEMOCRATS CELEBRATING the Supreme Court decision, I have lived in England and know what a horrible mess health care is when the government is in charge.

I AM NOT VOTING FOR Mormon Romney and I am not voting for Obama either. I don’t believe he was born in the United States.

MY 17-YEAR-OLD son goes to high school and he knows if he gets caught with drugs he will lose his license for 18 months. Where are our smarts?

THANK YOU FOR FINALLY printing the truth in your newspaper. It is really appreciated. It is about time.

Jake
Jake 07/11/12 - 09:02 pm
Big

I don't like to go to movies mostly because they are too loud and are not of subject matter that I like. That being said, the rant about "Big" has piqued my interest.

Last rave, I wonder which truth they were referring to? The current temperature? Lowell Greenbaum or Greg Topliff letters? seenitB4's affection for Riverman? What?

KSL
191378
KSL 07/11/12 - 11:35 pm
Stupid to withhold your vote

Stupid to withhold your vote in the potus election. My father years ago told me that I had no right to complain if I didn't exercise my right to vote.

KSL
191378
KSL 07/11/12 - 11:39 pm
Last comment, what truth are

Last comment, what truth are you referring to?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 07/12/12 - 04:33 am
Mexicans??

Don't worry tax users. Truth be told, Mexicans will take your jobs (like you had one LOL), therefore paying more taxes and medicare than you do.
Someone show that lady how to shop online.
Democrats blamed Bush again, story at eleven. There ya go.
Wasn't Big a Tom Hanks movie?
I didn't know that. Where's my smarts?
Who is Mormon Romney? That totally sounded racist and bias to me.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/12/12 - 06:07 am
Jake..:)

Dang..I'm glad I spotted that comment this am...

I'm trying to match ACs affection for a certain Sheriffs candidiate...how am I doing?? heh
You could also say I adore Freddie Sanders ..:) Does that come across too...
What can I say Jake..I luvs guys---no doubt about it!!
hahha

tanbaby
tanbaby 07/12/12 - 06:11 am
i wonder if the next to last

i wonder if the next to last ranter is saying that her son is smart enough to not use drugs, or is he smart enough to not get caught with drugs?????

tanbaby
tanbaby 07/12/12 - 06:13 am
and to the second ranter,

and to the second ranter, they will never wake up because they don't have to...all the government will do is tax us hard working honest americans more....can't have all those "chirruns" going without their McD's !!!!

strib1
strib1 07/12/12 - 08:06 am
dem

hey u got all the dem and u can have them hope u are doing well?? four more yrs and i dont think so... good luck we will need all we can get i think.

samarrington
samarrington 07/12/12 - 08:57 am
OBAMACARE

Rant to John Barrow for voting to increase everyone's taxes and taking away our ability to choose our own health care package by voting not to repeal Obamacare. I think John has not read the bill so he does not realize how his vote has just altered his future as a congressman.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/12/12 - 09:14 am
Good morning, AC Posters and

Good morning, AC Posters and others! KSL, ya beat me to it, Hon! If'n ya don't vote, you'uns cain't complain! Now...., what's wrong with voting for a Mormon? We voted for a Catholic back in the 60's and that didn't seem to make a difference. We curently have an "unknown" in office, and that surely turned out to be a problem! So who's to say that a Mormon wouldn't be a better POTUS than the one we have now?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/12 - 09:18 am
#4. A LONG time ago, a

#4. A LONG time ago, a ratings system was applied to movies; G - family friendly; PG- might not be suitable for children; R- definitely not for children, no one under 16 admitted; and X- self explanatory.

You took them to PG movies, so quitcherwhining!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/12/12 - 09:21 am
What does one's religion have

#10- What does one's religion have to do with leadership anyway? I would hope that anyone in that office would keep their private life separate.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/12/12 - 09:28 am
"FINALLY printing the truth

"FINALLY printing the truth in your newspaper. It is really appreciated. It is about time."

Truth in news....just how truthful is our news? The news is reported by people, and people either tell it like it is, or, they add, and/or, take away from stories to enhance the readability.

We had an experience once, a long time ago, where a woman was accused of causing the death of an Augusta policeman. Having personally witnessing some of the events pertaining to the incident, I was shocked at the story printed in the Chronicle. As mentioned, this was many years ago, but the fact that the story was tainted with unsubstantiated events, and manufactured comments, I'm surprised the AC wasn't sued. That was then!

Things change! Today's news articles must be credible. If false information is published, the liability falls back on the AC, and I just don't see them letting this happen!

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/12/12 - 09:59 am
John Barrow trys to talk like

John Barrow trys to talk like he is semi-conservative when an election is coming but his voting record shows his true colors. If Barrow refuses to vote to repeal the largest TAX hike on the middle class in history, it is time for him to go.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 07/12/12 - 10:23 am
LOL Augusta Resident!

LOL Augusta Resident!

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 07/12/12 - 10:27 am
And my book is called Years

And my book is called Years of Living.

David Parker
David Parker 07/12/12 - 10:29 am
r/r's chosen are meh I almost

r/r's chosen are meh

I almost believe that an AC computer randomly grabs a half dozen or so and BAM, instant r/r section. Heck, just put up a photo of the day rather than wasting the upper portion of this page with that gobbledeegook. Although in a contest to see how generic one can be, today's list would take 1st.

That was a rant btw. still <3 commenting here but just want to point that out.

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/12/12 - 11:08 am
Please PROVE, beyond any doubt, any doubt, just

where Obama was born?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/12 - 01:02 pm
Rant #5

The whole idea of ordering goods by mail order (whether you fill out an order form from a catalog, phone the order in, or use the internet) is that you are not limited to stores in the city in which you live. The catalog can be from a store in Omaha if you wish. So don't worry about Augusta stores not having mail order catalogs.

In fact, it is actually better for the consumer to order from a store out of state. That store will not tack on Georgia sales tax. If you order from a store that has a brick & mortar presence in Georgia, they will tack Georgia sales tax on your tab. Save money — buy out of state by mail.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 07/12/12 - 01:45 pm
Careful, Little Lamb. You

Careful, Little Lamb. You are required to report out of state orders and pay that GA sales tax. I know there is hardly anyone who does, but it is illegal to not report it and pay the sales tax.

Fiat_Lux
20587
Fiat_Lux 07/12/12 - 01:56 pm
Re: catalog clothing

Some, like Lands End, will even hem you slacks for you at no extra cost.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/12 - 03:29 pm
Supposed to

Yeah, I know the state wants you to voluntarily pay sales tax on mail order purchases; but no one ever checks. How would they even know? I wouldn't even know where to find the form to send in.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/12/12 - 03:34 pm
Brick & Mortar

Lands End is one of those merchants that does tack on sales tax because they sell the clothes at Sears stores. So even though your mail-order stuff may come from Minnesota, they tack on the Georgia sales tax because of the Sears stores in Georgia.

I seem to remember a controversy surrounding Amazon.com and the State of South Carolina. Governor Haley was courting Amazon to build a large warehouse and distribution center in S.C. The S.C. state law said if Amazon had a brick & mortar presence in S.C., that they had to collect S.C. sales taxes, which Amazon.com does not do. Amazon said they would not build unless they got a special exemption from the sales tax collection requirement. What do you think Gov. Haley and the legislature did?

unbiased_propaganda
unbiased_propaganda 07/12/12 - 04:56 pm
To the Ranter about the

To the Ranter about the Movies being inappropriate:

Your 2nd movie, Big....did you watch that with your VCR player? Unless I'm mistaken...isn't that the Tom Hanks movie that came out in the 80's? And if you think that movie is inappropriate - you may as well keep your children locked in a cage.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 07/12/12 - 08:04 pm
And when shopping out of town

And when shopping out of town (in person), if you have it shipped to you, guess what? No taxes.

And what's the rest of that story, LL?

harley_52
harley_52 07/12/12 - 09:05 pm
"Required," Or "Requested?"

"...but it is illegal to not report it and pay the sales tax."

Does such a LAW exist? If so, I have never heard of it.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 07/12/12 - 09:22 pm
They get you on auto sales or

They get you on auto sales or anything that needs a tag or title. That's all I am aware of.

harley_52
harley_52 07/12/12 - 09:25 pm
That's all I know about as

That's all I know about as well, Willow. I buy a lot of stuff online, from Amazon.com and others, without paying Georgia sales tax. I'm not aware that I'm breaking any laws.

Mayor's office helped arrange Kinder Morgan gift

When Augusta Commission members reported being blindsided and subsequently rejected a $25,000 donation of emergency call boxes from pipeline giant Kinder Morgan, the mayor's office and other city ...