Rants & Raves

PUBLIC SCHOOLS GIVE one test, then another, then another and none of them help. Back before teachers had been brainwashed by college “education” departments, teachers wrote their own test questions, and then they graded each student, and students in general learned very well. Now government holds total control and nobody learns anything.

IF THE GOVERNMENT can tax (punish) us for not doing something, what will come next? My guess is “taxing” us for not voting for their chosen candidate in all elections.

DON’T GET CAUGHT up in the hoopla. Look closely as to what the Supreme Court stated in their ruling on Obamacare when they said that what it amounted to was a tax.

CHIEF JUSTICE ROBERTS stabbed the taxpaying American citizen in the back twice. Another reason to loathe George Bush.

IT’S A DANG SHAME when people can get to buy lobsters and shrimp with food stamps while you struggle to even buy ramen noodles at more than 15 cents per pack.

RANT TO RCBOE: A new $20 million school, hundreds of instructional and grad coaches, an overstaffed central office and you hit the teachers again with nine furlough days. Every board member who voted for this should be voted out.

I AM VERY disappointed with Chief Justice John Robert’s decision to uphold the individual mandate in Obama’s health care plan as a “tax.” Obama stated that the individual mandate was not a “tax.” As usual, Obama did not “mislead” us; Obama flat out “lied.”

A RANT TO THE Colum­bia County Board of Com­missioners. You have removed the Dumpster from the Evans Town Center Complex that was used to collect recyclable plastic. Evidently some people abused the rules by throwing other things into that Dumpster, which was intended to collect only plastic for recycling. If you have a serious interest in improving our environment, please bring the Dumpster back.

SO MANY PEOPLE getting killed by drunk drivers. The government should take over the alcohol industry like they did the tobacco industry. I’ve never read about a death being caused by a smoking driver.

THE TIME IS NOW. Legalize and tax marijuana or at the least decriminalize growing a small amount for personal use.

Comments from readers:

Jake
Jake 07/10/12 - 10:17 pm
#5, Dang Shame

I could not agree more. I was at the store recently and the person in front of me had a bottle of Dom Perignon ($130 a bottle) and 2 fresh lobsters ($20 a lb) and paid for them with an EBT card while I could only afford a bottle of Salmon-Billecort Brut Rose champagne ($45 a bottle) and farm raised Tiger prawns ($15 a lb). This is an outrage!! My wife didn't vote for Obama to allow this sort of injustice!

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/10/12 - 10:21 pm
Shrimp, lobster

... with EBT? Seen it. Just one of the problem with the system. More than likely the person using it to buy these luxury items bought the card for cents on the dollar from someone who uses EBT to supplement their off-book income or to finance their drug habit. EBT should only be usable for staples like flour and salt.

Jake
Jake 07/10/12 - 10:23 pm
Last one, personal use

The thing I see as problematic with growing a small amount for personal use is that just about harvest time you will get someone stealing from your garden and they could be kids. Unless, of course, you do indoor gardening then no one might know you are growing. I do believe, however, that anything you can grow should not be illegal. Weed is not a processed drug like cocaine, heroin, meth, etc.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 07/10/12 - 10:24 pm
Drunk drivers

Tots
Tots 07/10/12 - 10:35 pm
#6-Rant,

I say,heck yes,vote them all out...RCBOE is a big JOKE.....

allhans
allhans 07/10/12 - 11:11 pm
Tots. As with all elections

Tots. As with all elections in Richmond County it is virtually impossible to vote them out.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/10/12 - 11:32 pm
As long as there is alcohol...

People will be killed by drunk drivers, violent fights will start in the home, in the streets and in the bars. Families will fall apart, people will die from alcoholizm and all the other diseases it promotes.
I'm so glad I don't drink because in my opinion alcohol is the deadliest drug out there!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 06:02 am
stewart

Yep ...stewart is right...they buy ebt for pennies & go after the big items.....wake up Jake....you got this one wrrrroooonnng.

Good am posters/jokesters......goodems--badems----dang bees & btw to the "new" posters--you can't erase comments that have been captured on copy machines.........some will use them for wallpaper now.......maybe in their bathrooms so they can see them everyday!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 06:07 am
Lordy lordy

In which Shakespeare play is the quote "Oh what a wicked web we weave when first we practice to deceive"

Why is politics so sticky????

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 06:31 am
To my good friends on here

To all who say Firstfriday should continue on as is.....where were you when the Regency Mall was taking a dive...?? I wanted that to remain open too....where were you when the South areas were sliding downhill?? If we don't change our thinking .......Broad St affairs will go GWTW too.....people will not gather where bullets are flaring.....

We can let things stay as is & we all can wear bulllet proof vests OR actually do something about crime-babies w/o daddies-kids roaming the streets 24/7--yeh...we will have to kick some behinds ...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 06:38 am
Sheriff Arpaio

This is the guy Richmond county needs....if he were in the race for Sheriff...heck I might have to re-think F Sanders...heheh

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 06:49 am
National News Guys

Ok now....the BIG boys are in town today...soo let us try to behave for 1 day.....you know how they try to get goobers to showcase the South....watch out for that trick---try to walk BEHIND the camera shots.....try to look casual but interesting...
Gosh I hope they stay away from riverman....we all know how he laps the attention...calm down rm....stay cool!
:):)

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/11/12 - 07:34 am
Good Morning

Morning one and all. Time for me to hit the road again. Now if I may get personal for a few. Some of you know that I had a severe arthritis flare up last time I was out. I was able to see the doc this time at University Medical Center who did prescribe some pain killers and other stuff and also managed to get me into see an orthopedic specialist on short notice. Noting but raves for UMC. I should hopefully be able to make it through the next 3 weeks until more X-rays and MRI when I get back to determine the extent. Just keep me in your prayers. Last thing in the world I want to do is hurt somebody else while driving this behemoth. Yes, I do have enough sense to park it if things get too bad.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/11/12 - 08:00 am
Now the important stuff

As a medically discharged veteran I do qualify for government health care through the VA. Since it was the weekend I called the emergency info number at the VA. I was told that the first available appointment to see my primary care team was 20 August. That if it was an emergency to go to the emergency room. I don't know about you, but I consider pain so bad you can hardly move your arm an emergency. Know what I was told by the ER so called physician? "We are an emergency room we don't diagnose here. You need to see you primary care team first then they can refer you to a specialist". WTH!!!

Then I used my private insurance and went to UMC. You can see from my previous post the results of that visit.

Now think about it, where did I get the best care. From the government or private practice???

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/11/12 - 07:30 am
Good Morning, SeenIt, RK, Jake, Tots, Dstewar, Allhans and Other

I see SeenIt, the wise lady she is, has been reading the threads on the sheriff's race and picked up on something. Wasn't that strange? I copied and used the name in another post and it's still up. That person could help the campaign of the others a lot or hurt one is another way of looking at it.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/11/12 - 07:32 am
Onward....

Marijuana... At this time I can not condone the recreational use since by law it is an illegal substance. But I have to ask again, when was the last time hubby walked out in the back yard, smoked a doobie, and came back in and beat the crap out of his wife and kids???

I contrast this with split speed limit laws in some states for cars and trucks. I do not agree at all since we are limited to 5-10 mph below the speed allowed for cars. Often this causes cars to take a foolish chance to pass us. But, that's the law whether I agree or not.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 07:49 am
RKill

Pls be careful--be safe---& you know we will be thinking of you.....teach trouble how to drive that theeeng...
I know the pain you are talking about.....I want to cuss everything around me at times!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/11/12 - 07:57 am
#4

Now they're blaming George Bush for Obamacare!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/11/12 - 08:03 am
Blame Bush

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the liberals (Democrats) do everything they could to block Roberts appointment to the court? Politics does indeed breed strange bed fellows.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 08:36 am
RKill

syas...
Politics does indeed breed strange bed fellows.

Heck ya could say the same thing about this place!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/11/12 - 09:02 am
Hold off on the posse

Now if I go missing in the next days...don't blame Sean....will be looking for fun in all the right places.....maybe CSRA!

seeya later!

harley_52
harley_52 07/11/12 - 09:31 am
SeenitB4 IS Right....

....in her assessment of what should be done about the First Friday crisis when she says "we will have to kick some behinds."

Who is in charge in Augusta? Is it the law abiding, tax paying citizens, their elected city officials, and taxpayer funded law enforcement agencies? Or is it the lawless, trouble-making thugs who have no respect for either the law, or the tax paying citizens who want to enjoy an occasional night out with their friends or families?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/12 - 09:43 am
"...will stop when they're

"...will stop when they're incarcerated instead of being let loose to do it again, and again, and again -- thirty times, in one case."

Yep, it is the .15+ driver and the repeat offenders causing the vast majority of the problems, not the guy/gal that went to dinner and shared a bottle of wine or a pitcher of beer.

They need to keep tightening the screws on the problem drivers until A) it sinks in; or B) they are locked up and off the road.

David Parker
David Parker 07/11/12 - 09:44 am
The real EBT scam is either

The real EBT scam is either buying up all the choice meats and then reselling them OR selling it .50 on the EBT dollar. Most are not buying up prime foods to cook and eat, they use it as a trade/barter item.

The reason the weed isn't taxed is due to it being simple to produce. Those that smoke are going to grow it in their back yard and Uncle Sam has nothing to tax.

Alcohol on the other hand, takes some skill and process to produce so average Joe doesn't have the means to make it. Thus a tax is implemented simply b/c it's productive to do so.

Both are one in the same though, they alter mood and impair coordination. I'm not for or against either. I just have to be consistent with my judgement. So if I am going to enjoy a coldie after work, I'm not going to be hypocritical and demonize the other.

If you really want to look further, consider all the stupid mind altering drugs that are being prescribed legally. People want to feel good and doctors are finding ways to make that happen legally. It's all a big honkin double standard anyway.

To you who DO judge while sippin your whiskey or your gin. We both know what's going on deep down, just ask your liver how much safer alcohol is?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/12 - 09:52 am
Seenit, I don't think anyone

Seenit, I don't think anyone wants FF to go on "as is". What I and others want is to take back downtown from the thug element and don't give in to them ruining things for everyone else.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/11/12 - 09:56 am
Also, I don't buy this "no

Also, I don't buy this "no one is accountable" malarkey from the sheriff. What if FF as an event is cancelled and this same element decides to show up and play in the streets anyway? What then? He just needs to man up and deal with the problem, which ISN'T FF; it is a minority of the attendees hanging out afterwards causing trouble.

harley_52
harley_52 07/11/12 - 10:03 am
It's the Sheriff's job to

It's the Sheriff's job to continuously assess the situation in his jurisdiction as regards crime experience, crime potential, and public safety and good order and to train his personnel and distribute his assets to best accomplish his mission.

Apparently, he's not up to the job.

iLove
iLove 07/11/12 - 10:10 am
EBT envy

You cannot purchase alcohol on EBT.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/11/12 - 10:31 am
Good morning AC Posters and

Good morning AC Posters and others! RK, just be careful, my Friend. I know you well enough to know that you will make every effort to stay safe. You have my prayers for your medical situation.

Breaks my heart to hear of people buying lobster and expensive booze, while the poor little old lady at the Evans Kroger had to return some items of real food to the shelf because she didn't have enough money to pay for her purchase. I told my wife that if she ever sees this little lady again, no matter what, give her the extra money she needs. Had I been there yesterday she would have walked away with more than she wanted! Welfare in many cases is a cancer on society. People who take advantage of it, in any way, should be charged and made to fess up what they used it for.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/11/12 - 10:33 am
Driving while intoxicated

Driving while intoxicated will "slow down" when the first offense charges them $5000.00!