Rants & Raves

I’M CONCERNED ABOUT the situation of the VA telephones. If they are not going to answer the phones, why don’t they cut the system out? Hooray for the man who put the rant in the paper!

RAVE TO AUGUSTA PROPERTY tax assessor for reviewing all of the exempt non-profit charity and church properties. Next they should start on those claiming homestead exemptions that do not live at the property. It’s obvious that many of the tax bills are being mailed to home addresses other than the one they are claiming. I have a preacher neighbor unlawfully claiming a homestead exemption.

RANT TO THE U.S. government. I don’t understand why the U.S. Postal Service is cutting anything! They are just as important as the military!

A FEW DAYS AGO I found a hand-addressed letter on my front porch. It told me that after 6 ½ years of declining health, our “Newspaper Man” was not well enough to continue working. Those of us on his paper route have lost a dedicated, committed and always on-time paper delivery man. God bless you, Willie Pringle.

RAVES TO EDITORIAL cartoonists, Obama cartoons are terrific. Get over it; he has big ears, so what. The only suggestion I would make is to draw a Pinocchio-type nose since he lies so much. Big change a-comin’ in November in order to save the Republic!

PLEASE STOP ONLY printing comments from Northerners. It is clear this is just a Northern plot to make Southerners look stupid. Also, I agree with the comment about newswomen attire, we need to adopt the rules of Saudi Arabia.

SEEMS THERE ARE some who are very offended by cartoons depicting Obama and feel this is disrespectful to the president. First, I think the cartoons are great plus they give me something to laugh about. Especially those ears! Secondly, I respect the office of the presidency but have zero respect for the one who holds that position.

TO THE PERSON complaining about foul language at Applebee’s on Peach Orchard. What do you expect, it’s Peach Orchard.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/08/12 - 11:45 pm
About the VA

All these complaints about the VA have me wondering. The VA is now diverting all surgical patients after normal daytime hours to Eisenhower Army Medical Center. The VA is apparently understaffed and can't handle surgical patients after hours. This is strange. The Chronicle should look into what's going on there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/08/12 - 11:53 pm
Summing Up

If the Chronicle can make fun of politicians with cartoonish descriptions why can't commenters here call various local politicians Mickey Mouse and other cartoon names?

Printing comments from Northerners only makes me realize why we went to war to get away from them.

"MAYBE SOMEONE WILL invent a cell phone that is also a hip flask. Then these idiots can drive distracted and drunk." That's funny and requires no comment.

The Post Office has had it. The internet has dang near eliminated getting up and taking a shower. Deal with email.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/09/12 - 04:53 am
To the people who are

To the people who are insisting that "change is coming" with the Presidential election.....I'll believe it when I see it! Frankly, I never thought Obama would've won, but he did. No telling what the stupid voters will do.
River, I have to agree with the statement that's behind your question about the paper's freedom to post caricatures of politicians. Maybe Sean will answer that one for you.
As far as the South Augusta Applebees...why didn't the person just get up and say something to the person who was doing the cussing? Usually all it takes is for someone to "respectfully" bring it to the cusser's attention that there are little kids or ladies or people who are offended nearby, and they'll quiet down.....usually. If not, get the manager to do it!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 06:38 am
The Great First Friday Shootout

I'm amazed some pumpers for the downtown area are trying to gloss over this thing. They make statements like there's violence in other areas, too. I mean, my goodness SIX people were shot. That many were not hit at the OK Corral Gunfight.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 06:47 am
Hahha

What did you think they would say??
They want folks to ignore it....pretend it didn't happen....they were just "rubber" bullets yaknow ...not meant for human consumption...

Did you think they would say...We have lost control of downtown--if you come wear a bullet proof vest!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 06:48 am
also

Get over this hatred you have for the post office...they ain't going away....no time-no way-no how!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 06:57 am
SeenIt, I'm going to get you

SeenIt, I'm going to get you a little computer with a printer that will fit in your mailbox. You can walk out and retrieve your printed out emails everyday. Just send me a gift at Christmas.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 06:59 am
New theme song

Some need to put this song on their cell......esp. if you wear rose colored glasses in the csra....maybe the good Sheriff can play it at the meeting for the downtown folks..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:01 am
Yeh right..

Just like that water pipe you were going to run up here for me....hah...I know all about your promises big boy!:)

Check your tires!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:07 am
SEANNNNN

Sean...please put riverman on timeout again....:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 07:08 am
Not even going to touch the

Not even going to touch the running pipe thing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:16 am
You are lucky

Just lucky you have friends on here .....we begged-pleaded-promised THE MAN stuff just to get your tail back on here....now you have the big head....:(

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:18 am
Just words in a song BUT oh how they fit!!!

Oh-oh, yes I'm the great pretender Pretending that I'm doing well My need is such I pretend too much I'm lonely but no one can tell
Oh-oh, yes I'm the great pretenderAdrift in a world of my ownI've played the game but to my real shameYou've left me to grieve all alone
Too real is this feeling of make-believeToo real when I feel what my heart can't conceal
Yes, I'm the great pretender Just laughin' and gay like a clown I seem to be what I'm not, you see I'm wearing my heart like a crown Pretending that you're still around

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:21 am
Moving oooonnnn

I am glad they are tinking of doing SOMETHING at the Regency Mall.....about tme...

yeh I meant tinking....!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 07:21 am
Nope, no ego here

I'm a peon sitting on this ball of rock on the edge of a galaxy that has a billion planets in a universe that has a billion galaxies and we have no idea what's on the outside of all this. Now how could anyone possibly get too uppity?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 07:25 am
Turning whole sections of

Turning whole sections of Augusta like Regency Mall into lakes and parks is a good idea. It worked for the Augusta Common, too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 07:30 am
Bodies in Regency Lake

How many bodies do you think they will find in Regency Lake after it's been open a year?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:31 am
Peach Orchard Rd

Everytime I see a negative remark about Peach Orch Rd area I get upset.......yeh it ain't what it used to be for sure...BUT that is home to many of us on here....if they put the tax dollars there like they WASTED in downtown ....you would see a different place...
The time is coming for a turn around...please make your vote count....put people in office who care about ALL of Augusta...esp. the areas that have been neglected for a long time.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:33 am
BTW RM

When you go back to Charleston to your home area...what do you see now?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 07:45 am
Charleston Has Changed Dramatically

Oh, Charleston has transformed itself into an amazing city with travelers from all over the world visiting year round. They attract national conventions.

It wasn't always that way. There used to be so few restaurants in town I could count them on one hand. Ditto with bars. Seriously, I am not making this up. Now there are literally hundreds of both. Old vacant stores on King Street have been transformed into tourist type businesses. Alleys have been cut in so more tourist businesses could be opened...some into restaurants using the little entrance alcove for outdoor tables. There are so many tourists residents complain. They have laws limiting when tourist busses can take people into parts of the city, it's so crowded.

Charleston used to look just like Augusta does today. If I had to pin the turn around on one thing it was the miniseries, The North and the South. Things started happening bigtime after it.

Work calls...later.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 07:47 am
Running too

I said I wouldn't post today but RM pulled me in (as usual)

Now I have to do some things for my good ole boy....he is a light version of shades of grey....hahhehheh...
seeyall

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/09/12 - 07:54 am
Riverman and Seen It

You two had the floor this morning - 20 out of 21 comments shared by you two - now let someone else have a say so - of course some of your comments were informative and interesting. And thank you for them!
And - as far as South Augusta and its population is concerned, I have found out that showing courtesy, a smile and a kind word go a long way. We all should try it - it may go a long way. A wonderful day to all and God bless us all.

strib1
strib1 07/09/12 - 07:56 am
well. i have been going to va

well. i have been going to va for a fews yrs now and i dont have any complants so far. they have been good . called them fri and got right thru. a lot of them are vol and do good jjob... so there!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/09/12 - 07:59 am
A new wake-up alarm.

Nothing like about 10 police cars tearing down Glenn Hills Drive first thing in the morning. Screaming sirens chasing a vehicle. Who were they after? I hear they stopped the vehicle about 7:30-35 am. Hope ya'll get the rest of the story.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/09/12 - 08:40 am
Re-Run

Okay, folks, there is still meat for discussion on the following two articles from Sunday's Chronicle. Click on the links below and add your comments:

Sylvia Cooper

TSPLOST

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/09/12 - 09:28 am
Peach Orchard Rd?

'foul language at Applebee’s on Peach Orchard. What do you expect, it’s Peach Orchard."

Veracruz, Habachi Grill, and Sconyers, are all located in the general vicinity and you do not hear the foul languages at these other locations.

allhans
allhans 07/09/12 - 09:40 am
Someone thinks the post

Someone thinks the post office is as important as the military.
I would assume that his check will come...by one means or another.

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/09/12 - 09:41 am
"Northerners,"

Please remember....There are Northerners and those that wish they were! Shall we (alluding to your "stipidity," comment) talk about LACK of Driver Courtesy down here? Spell "cemetary," in the IWanta? Nuff said!

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/09/12 - 09:52 am
LOL

"The federal government and states overpaid an estimated $14 billion in benefits in fiscal 2011, or roughly 11% of all the jobless benefits paid out, according to reports from the U.S. Labor Department." Hey, these are the clowns that will run Healthcare now.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/09/12 - 10:02 am

Hey, I gave you a thumbs up, Allhans. They don't need the post office for their checks anymore. The government now uses direct deposit. My question is, "How do they get their EBT cards?" Wouldn't it be similar to getting a government-issued photo I.D.?

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.