Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

IF THE AUGUSTA National so craves the big expensive change for Berck­mans Road, those millionaires should pay for it.

TWENTY-FIVE PAIRS of underwear (stolen)? I hope that obsessive number does not translate to 25 winter shirts, 25 summer shirts, 25 winter pants, etc. As for the comment about turning them inside out to stretch it a second day, eww.

THANK GOODNESS President Obama has been in office to wipe out the shameful downward spiral our country went into socially, politically and financially that Bush had done. Bush dumped our military into two wars he could not handle with his cowboy ways that put off most help and teamwork with other countries. And his rich cronies who made millions as they fell out of their respective companies sure hurt us little people. Now we need four more years of Obama to help correct a lot more to go.

JACKSON CITY government is full of hypocrites. Enforcing rules on some, letting their buddies slide.

A GOVERNMENT PANEL “urged (doctors) to screen for obesity.” It doesn’t take a doctor, a screening or a special test to determine obesity. It takes two seconds and reasonably good eyes to know if somebody is obese. This is just more meddling in our lives.

WHAT HAPPENED TO the day when one had to attend college and the seminary to become a leader and minister of the church? There are so many so-called “ministries” in our area. Why aren’t these ministries policed to be sure these individuals are legitimate?

RANT TO THE TWO people who give a thumbs down for everything anti-Obama and thumbs up for everything pro-Obama. Just because you don’t agree with the person doesn’t mean it isn’t a good post.

TO THE PERSON degrading our law enforcement in Thomson: Those guys risk their lives every day for the community, and I for one am very grateful. You have a lot of nerve to say such garbage about people you probably don’t even know.

WHY WOULD GOVERNOR Deal come to Augusta in support of the increase in our sales tax when just before that visit he was quoted as saying “that now is not the time to raise our taxes.” This quote was in relation to increasing the tax on gasoline. He got it right the first time.

dwb619
dwb619 07/06/12 - 08:56 pm
#1

Millionaires don't stay millionaires by spending their money.

Jake
Jake 07/06/12 - 09:30 pm
Thumbs

About the only thing my thumb did for me was help me get a ride many, many years ago. It was about the only way to get around when you lived in the rural areas of Augusta.
I hope CG is doing well in Kansas with his family situation.

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/06/12 - 09:44 pm
Burns Supports Wright McLeod

Former Congressman Max Burns has announced his support of candidate Wright McLeod.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 07/06/12 - 09:51 pm
Berckmans Road

is just fine - leave it alone. People just have to drive a little slower - and that should do them good - with all that racing around going on.
The Augusta National just can't get enough - looking at all that empty land across the street - just sits there - for 51 weeks out of the year. What a waste of money and property. Oh well - somebody got paid for selling out - hope they are happy. I admire the ones that stayed put!

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/06/12 - 09:59 pm
Augusta National created a

Augusta National created a beautiful greenspace for 51 weeks a year when they bought land to provide parking for patrons. What's not to like about that?

tcowan13
tcowan13 07/06/12 - 09:56 pm
Amen To The Pro-Obama

Amen To The Pro-Obama Raves!!! Thank Goodness Bush Is Out Of Office And Part Of The Past!!! 'Nuff Said.

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/06/12 - 10:00 pm
What do y'all like about

What do y'all like about Obama?

Jake
Jake 07/06/12 - 11:43 pm
He ain't Bush

I guess that pretty well sums up what people like about Obama.

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 12:01 am
Jake, ha, but I have one for you.

Romney will run with one theme.....you guessed it....He ain't Obama. That sums up what people like about Romney.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 07/07/12 - 02:04 am
The Jackson comment sounds

The Jackson comment sounds like someone had an ordinance violation they didn't want to remedy!

countyman
19666
countyman 07/07/12 - 02:05 am
A local media outlet did a

A local media outlet did a very good job on the recent success of the TEE Center... I vividly remember when certain people on the Chronicle website told us the TEE would attract ZERO events... Thanks to citizens of Richmond County for approving the TEE Center.... A total of twelve events are now booked, ten of the events couldn't meet here before due to space, and eleven of them take place in the year 2013.... The local impact is almost 10k people and $7 million .... People have to eat, sleep, shop, entertain themselves, etc while here in Augusta.. Expect to see new hotels, restaurants, etc open in the CBD.....

Hopefully Augusta can continue to become progressive, and do something with Regency Mall... I don't care if the mall is demolished, and nothing happens for a while... The vacant property would look much better compared to the large vacant mall.. The splost money going towards the lake should already being underway by now... Turn the propety into multiple soccer fields, baseball/softball fields, bmx-skateboard park, basketball courts, walking trails, volleyball courts, etc... Use the lake for canoeing, kayaking, etc.... Once you tackle Regency Mall then expanding transit(Fort Gordon; until 12am), sidewalks/bike lanes all over the county, Peach Orchard/Windsor Spring intersection(landing Target, Chick Fil A, etc), and East Augusta(demolishing housing projects: extending Riverwalk)...

omnomnom
omnomnom 07/07/12 - 04:17 am
whee! multiple shootings

whee! multiple shootings downtown! one outside the CBD and one in Olde Town! Also another incident that won't get reported! Yes sir downtown Augusta is poppin' (& lockin' if you're smart). Outsiders Come see our city park! Try to find some shade under Oglethorpe! Or maybe the city park is the cemetery next to our jail! I can't really tell! Riverfront convention city! Working hard to bring people here for family reunions! Putluck dinners! Skeet shoots! Greased pig catching tournaments! Or maybe thats commissioners trying to pin down city administrator Fred Russell after a trip to Yoders! I can't really tell! Come on down to the 706 and see how happy we are to cater to one particular hotel! Breath in that cool expensive air in our TEE Center thats Marriot® quality, financed by taxpayers! Marvel at the cooking facilities that are also paid for by taxpayers! Gaze at the street art so prevalent downtown! See people in helmets on Segways! Yes Augusta looking to the future! Not leadership! At least not elected leadership!

DON'T FORGET THE NANA PUDDING.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 06:18 am
Can agree with that

Well you are talking now ctyman....soon I hope....
good am to every living thing in the CSRA.....now that covers it!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 06:21 am
To the 1st r/r

Stop wasting your breath....when the National wants to change that area ..they will.........they are the folks making things happen.....we are not------but something tells me it will be great when it does happen...have a little confidence in the big boys..:)

carcraft
carcraft 07/07/12 - 06:37 am
W the unemployment numbers

Well the unemployment numbers haven't moved but the national debt numbers continue to pile up, another trillion this year. Wasn't it funny when Obama skewered Bush because the Bush economy only created 180,000 jobs. The new jobs numbers are in and last month Obama's economy created 80,000 jobs, half of which are temp jobs..LOL How the times are a changing. What is this, Joe Biden's third summer of recovery? Obama Says were moving in the right direction, sorta like the guy finishing last at a NASCAR race, at least we haven't completely broke down yet...BWAHAHAHAHA

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 06:36 am
change of thought

I'm tired of negative nagging r/rs....I'm going to listen to music today.....these two guys are great together.......I think SM should open up a thread for music of all kinds.......each day we could take turns with our choice...even SM could choose some days....it would tell ya a lot about people...I kinda want to know what ctyman would like......I pretty much know what a few others would want.....:)
I know sarge would want Enya..(good choice)
I know Cgee would want country (good choice)
River is up for grabs...he is multi-choice type of guy but leaning to country...
Don't know what anotherday-JRC-raul-etc. would like...
Jake likes most country....
Trouble is a definite Toby Keith guy....more about his looks (I think),....but who could blame her!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 06:52 am
Deke puts sugar in grits (RM said this)

That is just awfffuuulll!

The Ten Commandments of Grits
All Things Southern ^ | 8/3/05 | Unknown

Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 5:00:38 PM by mafree

1. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.

2. Thou shalt not eat Cream of Wheat and call it Grits; for this is blasphemy.

3. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Grits.

4. Thou shalt only use Salt, Butter and Cheese as toppings for thy Grits.

5. Thou shalt not eat Instant Grits.

6. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.

7. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.

8. Thou shalt not put syrup on thy Grits.

9. Thou shalt not put sugar on thy Grits either.

10. Thou shalt not put sugar or syrup on thy Grits

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 06:56 am
Some need to pay attention to that!..:)

3. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Grits.

brice47
brice47 07/07/12 - 07:37 am
Prayer breakfast

Atheists are infringing on religious freedoms of the majority. If our leaders want to have time to pray, that is their right. If a citizen truly feels it is inappropriate, let him stand up for his own conviction and not hide behind anonymity offered by an atheist group from the other side of the country. Why should we allow an atheist group from Wisconsin to interfere with ANYONE’S religious freedom, much less here in Augusta?

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 09:42 am
Bullet Proof Vests to Visitors

Can we issue visitors to Augusta who plan to go on Broad St, bullet proof vests in hotel lobbies before they venture out? It's not that the bad guys are trying to kill them or anything, but flying bullets hurt.

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 07:54 am
SeenIt caught my post and I'm

SeenIt caught my post and I'm sooo glad. I would have hated to have wasted that one. "Deke puts sugar in grits (RM said this)
That is just awfffuuulll!

Haha...I used to describe Deke by using the name of a weak, ineffective cartoon character. The Chronicle said they would ban me if I used funny cartoon characters for him or other political figures in the area so I figure I'd use a writer's trick. I'll just describe their actions real or imagined that paint the picture. You just know Deke puts sugar in his grits. Those old black ministers at the prayer breakfast probably shuddered when he did that.

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 08:36 am
About the Sheriff's Election

Someone supporting a certain Sheriff's candidate put up a whimsical post about how when we were kids there was always one football player who was better than everyone and who could run over others dragging 4-5 wannabes to the goal line with him.

I told him it sounded like Isaiah Crowell, the Georgia player who got arrested for doing bad, illegal things. Could this be a common trait?

Riverman1
82000
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 08:14 am
Onto to the TEE center

Countyman says there are 11 events booked for 2013 and 10 of them couldn't meet here before due to limited size. I'd like to know what the events are since the last information being released is they were looking for local events such as "family reunions" to use the building. I doubt those local people would even stay at the hotel. So what are the events?

But let's just say there are 11 events scheduled for next year, do you realize what a dismal occuppancy rate that is for a convention center? Look up average rates. 11 events would be absolutely abysmal. Also, keep in mind every event that could have used existing venues is hurting them and only helping one hotel.

A friend of mine recently ran into Dr. Heywood Sanders, the noted national authority on convention centers. He was the one who was supposed to explain to the Commission why the TEE was a bad idea when it was up for debate, but they refused to hear him.

My friend who knows downtown area business better than anyone (strong words, but if you knew who it was you would agree) said Dr. Sanders told her he knew right off the bat what was up when he heard the proposed deal about the TEE at the Marriott. He said it was obvious. Our commissioners knew it wasn't right, but went along riding the wave.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 08:18 am
ok brice

brice said...

why should we allow groups from Atlanta Ga to go to Blairsville(N Ga mtns town)& tell the good folks there what they can & can't do concerning road signs??

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 08:23 am
5000 mark

I'm close to the 5000 count now....sooo as soon as I reach the top I will leave the building...hahha...now who said this game wouldn't work on us......bobbleheads...like we are competing with each other over #s...who's counting anyway ...so push me on over if you want be gone for today...PUSH-PUSH

boodroe
boodroe 07/07/12 - 08:26 am
Regarding the road signs in Blairsville

Are they Georgia department of transportation folks telling the people in Blairsville what road signs are legal if so the comparison doesn't hold up with the group from WI as it is people from Atlanta aka the GA Deptarment of Transportations job to tell what street signs are legal and not legal

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 08:31 am
RM

Of course I caught your words on Deke...I listen to your every word on here....I pay attention to you....just like I do to Sean.....:)
Probably more than I do to GOB......
When yall say jump...well I try to jump......hehheh.......now I'm jumping ship .....have work to do ....I don't have maid service & SM is NOT paying me enough to post on here......:)
I know this place is in good hands with you two!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 08:37 am
boodroe

The good folks in Blairsville don't want the KKK to put up any signs....first of all the group leader with this kkk actually lives in another county.....but now the aclu-kkk-blacks from Atlanta--lawyers from everywhere have gotten involved.....just like Augusta wouldn't appreciate Wisconsin folks telling them how to spend their dollars....for church breakfasts or whatever.....it is a strange world we are living in ow...with tv-internet-cell phones fb-news 24/7.....everybody wants to run OUR BUSINESS...

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/07/12 - 08:46 am
Code Enforcement

...officer who was videotaped entering the home without any legal authority will not be prosecuted. Wotta surprise. To the lady whose privacy was violated: sell one of the video cameras and buy a shotgun. Same advice to any other women living in his hunting ground. This cannot be the first time he's done this, and you can bet it won't be the last. Who believes he will stop at merely entering the homes of women alone?

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/07/12 - 08:50 am
All this talk about grits is

All this talk about grits is making me hungry. I saw a fellow employee put sugar on their grits one time ... I thought WTH are they doing! Surely they thought that was a salt packet! But they are a YANKEE and I guess they just don't know any better. BLESS THEIR HEART.

I take mine with butter, salt, and grated cheddar ... and please, for the love of God, don't let anything on my plate try to touch and mix in with my grits. They are sacred.

Teacher group backs Carter for governor

ATLANTA - One of the largest teachers' groups in Georgia has announced its support for Democrat Jason Carter, as he challenges Republican Gov. Nathan Deal in the fall.