Rants & Raves

I THINK IT’S TIME we had a “straight” parade. I am sick of hearing about all the gay rights stuff. If that’s your thing, then so be it. Just don’t shove it in our faces!

IS ANYONE ELSE sick and tired of the marketing calls (even though we are on the Do Not Call list? How about the particularly obnoxious one that begins “Do not hang up”? I wish I could get them stopped.

A HIGH SCHOOL KID can take a one-hour course and learn what he needs to know about personal money management. Anything more is just waste. Kids’ parents are responsible for teaching that very thing – responsibility – anyway.

IT APPEARS THAT Dr. Ricardo Azziz has thinned MCG out by spreading it from Augusta to Rome, Athens and Albany, while claiming Augusta is the place. What’s Azziz got against Augusta?

TO THE PERSON WHO ranted about the Kane & Co. Dance Recital: You should try teaching dance to more than 200 children and then organizing a recital to showcase all the dancers and what they learned and see if you can fit it in under three hours.

My rave is to Kelly Duggar Kane, whom I think did a fantastic job and deserves all the props.

A HUGE RANT TO THE USC Aiken Convocation Center and the South Carolina Outdoor Expo. Very poorly planned and too large of an event.

A STANDING OVATION goes to the wonderful performance by the middle and high school band students at Augusta State University’s Band Camp. Our area is blessed with some truly amazing and dedicated band directors, and we are very grateful to them for sharing their love of music with our kids. A big thank you, too, to the wonderful staff and students at ASU for making it all happen.

A RANT TO The Augusta Chronicle for continuing to litter my property with unwanted advertising and circulars. I’m sick of having to pick them up and put them into the trash.

SPOTTED, THANK YOU for covering the Augusta Pride parade. I was able to look at the pictures to see which businesses are supporting sin.

FINALLY, AN ARTICLE about not refinancing. Alas, there are still articles encouraging borrowing, even for people with “less than perfect credit histories.”

The only sensible rule is don’t buy what you can’t afford.

Comments from readers:

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 11:12 am
Good afternoon RM1 ... hope

Good afternoon RM1 ... hope you are relaxing out by the pool today and not working like some of us are. I am so confused about what day of the week today is after being off for 5 days straight!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/05/12 - 11:15 am
Welcome Karen

Welcome Karen Slater-McDaniel! I'm a little tired of the "in your face" gay/straight stuff! Live and let live, people are responsible for their own lives, so let them do what they will. If it's wrong, they will find out sooner or later. If it's right, "same-O, same-O." Point is, life is too short to be worried about petty stuff, when there are more important issues to solve.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/05/12 - 11:20 am
"Glad to be back in Augusta

"Glad to be back in Augusta and very proud that we got to see our son graduate from BCT in Ft. Benning on Tuesday. So proud of him and his career decision to put his life on the line to defend our great country and to defend his mommas "FREEDOM OF SPEECH"! Lord knows I have plenty to say. LOL"

This old retired Sergeant says "Thank you for your service," to your son Karen Slater-McDaniel! May he be safe in all that he does, and everywhere he travels. His is a noble task of the greatest responsibility. He is admired! Hooah!

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 11:28 am
Thank you SargeBaby. I hope

Thank you SargeBaby. For the welcome BACK and the kind words regarding our son. I hope you are feeling good today and your treatments are going well. I am not sure where you are taking your treatments but I pray for a speedy recovery for you.

I deal with this on a daily basis at work and there is nothing so hard as to look a patient in the eye and let them know that their biopsy has come back malignant. But there is also nothing as rewarding as seeing that patient come in year after year with a healthy report. God is awesome. Stay strong and fight that fight. Good days are ahead :)

daphne3520
daphne3520 07/05/12 - 11:35 am
Third from Last Rant about the Chronicle

I totally agree. They pay destitute seniors pennies to litter people's driveways and streets with largely UNWANTED JUNK papers!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/05/12 - 12:02 pm
Amen to that Sarge!!

"Point is, life is too short to be worried about petty stuff, when there are more important issues to solve."

Let God sort out the things we have no control over.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 12:07 pm
Hey Karen

I know you and your husband are proud of your son in basic training. He has it made now. The hard part is over. I went in for an hour or so to clear up some paperwork. Few people are working today. Empty parking lots galore. It's unAmerican to work the day after Independence Day.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/05/12 - 12:08 pm

Thank you, Miss Karen, I go to the oncology clinic on Wheeler Road, just across from the glass building. So far, the treatment is going well, and according to the doctor, it appears that the chemo is doing its job. I won't know for sure until sometime in late September, or October.

My faith is strong, and I believe in prayer! I've been a Christian since I was twelve years old. Had a few back-sliding years, but never forgot who gave me the gift of life. God is the Great Physician, and it is He in whom I place my undying faith, trust, and love. Thank you again for the encouraging words! By the way, I’ve done this before in the past, but my name is Jim McKenzie.
Sargebaby is the name my Mom gave me early in my Army career! It stuck with me, and I’m proud it’s something she gave me that I’ll never lose!

KSL
KSL 07/05/12 - 12:12 pm
Not certain my paper

Not certain my paper deliverer would like to be labeled that way, daph.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/05/12 - 12:13 pm
That is my latest philosophy,

That is my latest philosophy, itsanotherday1! God is not only the great physician, He is the Judge of the highest court in all creation. His will is often misunderstood, but really digging into the the Book of Life, helps with understanding. Thank Him for great Bible lessons!

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/05/12 - 12:21 pm
Itsanotherday1, last time I

Itsanotherday1, last time I checked the Word, having saggy pants, car radio cranked wide open, and being less fashionable weren’t considered sin and won’t send you to eternal damnation. The only option you mentioned, same sex gender intimate relationships without repentance will. Saggy britches can be corrected with a belt, obnoxious volume on a radio can be corrected with a twist of a button, and stretch pants on the obese can be corrected with a good nutritional plan. How do we correct same sex gender intimate relations? As Sarge stated, God will have the last say, but I believe as a child of God, He instructs us to warn our fellow brothers and sisters when we see them wallowing in sin. It’s not out of hate but out of love for their eternal soul, but ultimately it is their choice.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 12:29 pm
Mr. Jim McKenzie

You are in excellent hands at Augusta Oncology. Dr. Alice David is one the best and nicest oncologist in our area, as is her entire group AND staff. That is where we refer our patients (unless they request otherwise). I am right down the street off Augusta West Parkway behind the soon-to-be McDonalds. I love my job and our patients. I have been fortunate enough to meet some very brave, strong and down right spunky people who are full of fight. They are all an inspiration. I lost my father to lung cancer in 1994 and hate the disease in any form with a passion.

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 12:34 pm
Sarge, Anotherday, and ...ICL

Good points! I agree with each post.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/05/12 - 01:11 pm
PAPERS

KSL, don't think we're talking about PAID-for newspapers like the Chronicle. It's those pink or yellow wrapped, junkmail-on-the-driveway, instead of in the mailbox ones we're talking about. People normally pick up what they pay for, the colored junkmail however, turn to rot normally until some person LIKE ME, tire of the neighborhood looking like "the hood". Which brings to mind, are these thrown in the projects? I doubt it. I also have been known to pick them up out of the street and throw them up right at the door so hopefully you'd get the hint, PLEASE PICK UP THE TRASH!

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/05/12 - 01:46 pm
iLove, why you felt it

iLove, why you felt it necessary to spread this kind of unChristianlike news is beyond me. Yes, it is terrible that some who claim the name of Christ would conduct themselves in such an unChrisitian manner but this does not represent the majority of Christians. Spreading this junk only instigates the hatred non-believers have for those who try and follow the teachings of Christ and is more of a hinderance than uplifting the name of Christ.....I pray that is not your agenda.

KSL
KSL 07/05/12 - 02:24 pm
Bamaman, thanks. I don't

Bamaman, thanks. I don't have that problem, YET.

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 02:41 pm
Discernment

On the contrary, I feel that that post can be beneficial to many here on AC.com

Why are you so upset? Could some of your friends benefit from an article like?

If you must know, SEENEIT and I were having a wonderful conversation this morning about the KKK and a little 'ol street sign.

ICL, I DISCERN HATE coming from your comment.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 07/05/12 - 02:28 pm
R & R is so boring today.

Thank goodness for the commenters who liven up this place. It's so hard to get back to work after a middle of the week holiday. Think I need to just wait for Monday and reboot.

KSL
KSL 07/05/12 - 02:29 pm
ICL, it is easy to search

ICL, it is easy to search the internet and find junk to support your premise. Just sit back and watch her live up to her name, or not.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/05/12 - 02:31 pm
iLove, what do you mean, what

iLove, what do you mean, what am I talking about? Did you not read the article in the link you posted at 2:12pm? That's the junk I'm talking about. Why the need to post the link?

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/05/12 - 02:33 pm
I agree with you Willow. I'm

I agree with you Willow. I'm finding it hard myself to get back in work mode after having yesterday off.

KSL
KSL 07/05/12 - 02:36 pm
I have no interest in going

I have no interest in going to a site about whites only. Nor would I go see what is on a blacks only site. Why wouldyou post something like that unless your goal was to divide, not unite?

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 02:42 pm
My bad

My bad ICL, I changed my comment from "What are you talking about?" to what you see now....only because I didn't want to approach you as such....this time.

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 02:44 pm
ASSUMING

Taken from the huffingtonpost.com.....one of my "daylies".

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 02:57 pm
Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 03:35 pm
An Attitude I Detest

When we discuss the murder rate in Augusta, it's met with an attitude by some that they only kill each other. The murder of the two young women was actually laughed at by some because they were up to no good in an Escalade.

Can you imagine any city where a couple of women of any kind were found murdered and a big deal was not made of it? There have been cases of serial prostitute killers and all assets were used to catch the killer.

No one approves of what they did, but it was MURDER for goodness sakes. Do you think any police department in any city would write them off as shady people meeting their due? Someone who kills two women and gets away with it is going to kill again and the next time it may not be someone driving an Escalade.

cds237
cds237 07/05/12 - 03:57 pm
SPOTTED, THANK YOU

I am a Christian and as a Christian, you except EVERYONE for who they are. You say the businesses are supporting sin, well you are supporting sin by posting that comment!!!!! God loves everyone, even if they aren't living a perfect life.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 07/05/12 - 04:01 pm
River, I agree with you,

but where did that come from? I must have missed it.

It is both sad and interesting though that people become hardened by what becomes so familiar. The heart being deceitfully wicked, takes work on our part to keep it compassionate and good.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 04:07 pm
Willow, Other Media

Willow, it was in other media and you know me...