Rants & Raves

I THINK IT’S TIME we had a “straight” parade. I am sick of hearing about all the gay rights stuff. If that’s your thing, then so be it. Just don’t shove it in our faces!

IS ANYONE ELSE sick and tired of the marketing calls (even though we are on the Do Not Call list? How about the particularly obnoxious one that begins “Do not hang up”? I wish I could get them stopped.

A HIGH SCHOOL KID can take a one-hour course and learn what he needs to know about personal money management. Anything more is just waste. Kids’ parents are responsible for teaching that very thing – responsibility – anyway.

IT APPEARS THAT Dr. Ricardo Azziz has thinned MCG out by spreading it from Augusta to Rome, Athens and Albany, while claiming Augusta is the place. What’s Azziz got against Augusta?

TO THE PERSON WHO ranted about the Kane & Co. Dance Recital: You should try teaching dance to more than 200 children and then organizing a recital to showcase all the dancers and what they learned and see if you can fit it in under three hours.

My rave is to Kelly Duggar Kane, whom I think did a fantastic job and deserves all the props.

A HUGE RANT TO THE USC Aiken Convocation Center and the South Carolina Outdoor Expo. Very poorly planned and too large of an event.

A STANDING OVATION goes to the wonderful performance by the middle and high school band students at Augusta State University’s Band Camp. Our area is blessed with some truly amazing and dedicated band directors, and we are very grateful to them for sharing their love of music with our kids. A big thank you, too, to the wonderful staff and students at ASU for making it all happen.

A RANT TO The Augusta Chronicle for continuing to litter my property with unwanted advertising and circulars. I’m sick of having to pick them up and put them into the trash.

SPOTTED, THANK YOU for covering the Augusta Pride parade. I was able to look at the pictures to see which businesses are supporting sin.

FINALLY, AN ARTICLE about not refinancing. Alas, there are still articles encouraging borrowing, even for people with “less than perfect credit histories.”

The only sensible rule is don’t buy what you can’t afford.

Comments from readers:

Jake
Jake 07/04/12 - 06:30 pm
In your face

If you want to see a "straight parade" then go down to the Discotheque(sp) Lounge and you will see quite a parade of ladies parading in front of largely straight men. Be warned that it will be "in your face" as well and be sure to bring a lot of $5 dollar bills.

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 07/04/12 - 07:22 pm
Responsibility

Since the average person in the US carries over $6000 in credit card debt, buys cars, houses, clothes, vacations, etc. they cannot afford, and the average American thinks about affordability in terms of payments instead of actual price, relying on parents to teach kids money management is like the blind leading the blind. Few people in the US save to by something outright anymore. They get payments to fit their budget, which is why job loss and pay cuts wreak havoc on families today. Responsible money management isn't saying your household budget is balanced because you can actually make the payments you've agreed to make. Responsible money management is living without extraneous debt and teaching a kid to save, shop sales, buy used when possible, pay in full for all but very large purchases (i.e. cars, houses, education, appliances, and car repairs), and do without the newest gadgets and fashions until prices drop.

When a parent has to run out and get the new $700 Iphone the day it comes out or they have to get a new car every three years, it doesn't set a good example for the kids. When parents fund privileges for the child (i.e. camps, Disney Vacations, lessons, etc) but have to charge groceries, I'm not sure they are providing good role models for their kids when it comes to money management. When I was a kid, my mom worked full-time and was divorced. My dad was also a deadbeat. Even though my friends went to summer camp, took all kinds of lessons, went on family vacations, and had atari, cable tv, birthday parties every year, a whole new wardrobe every year, etc. I didn't have any of that because we couldn't afford it. We watched a lot of PBS and a National Geographic subscription was a luxury in my house. A big outing was going to the movies two or three times a year. My mom paid cash for most everything and she never had to declare bankruptcy. If I wanted something, I had to do extra chores and save my allowance because Mom didn't just run out and get it for me. I had to earn it and that taught me the value of a dollar and the rewards of hard work. All of that is what taught me to live frugally, save, use credit sparingly, and work hard for stuff I want. Kids learn by watching their parents.

In short, if kids see their parents being financially irresponsible, odds are they will grow up to be financially irresponsible as well. Maybe having a 10 week or 20 week high school course on banking, saving, balancing checkbooks, budgeting, managing credit, negotiating loans, investing, price watching, etc would be beneficial to kids because few are learning any of that at home in any meaningful way and many of them don't get an allowance or out and get a job to learn money management on their own. Honestly, if parents are buying every thing they and their kids want but living pay check to pay check, they are failing their kids miserably. Parents need to lead by example and they need to learn to say, "If you want that $80 video game today, we can't go to the movies for a month." Or they need to say, "If you want that $80 video game, then you need to do more chores to earn more allowance and save your allowance until you can buy it." The need for instant gratification is taught by parents and learned by children-- and it often leads to lifetime financial problems due to a living beyond one's means.

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 02:41 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 05:53 am
Money ....not a problem

Tom Cruise's personal life may be in shambles, but at least he has his millions of dollars to ease the pain.

Forbes reports that Cruise is the highest-paid actor in Hollywood, pulling in an astonishing $75 million between May 2011 and May 2012.

now....don't you feel much better :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 05:59 am
The posters

When I think about it...the posters (some) on here could make that kind of money...they have the wit-humor-looks-intelligence.......so what is holding them back......some are loaded with ego so that couldn't be the reason...they have guts....they prove that everyday on here....I will ponder that thought today....

Good am honeybees--misfits-departed from here--gooduns-weuns--& all Sheriffs in the making....

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 06:18 am
How do you bait a hook??

Once you put them on your hook they will eventually die, so you need to make them look like they are alive!

When attaching the worm to the hook, you'll want to hook the worm more than once so it stays on the hook.

The less you handle the bait with your fingers, the more effective your bait will be.
Human hands have an amino acid that is an aversion scent to fish,
so the less of this you deposit on the bait through handling, the more effective your bait becomes.

Ouch....watch IT!!

G'ment Watcher
G'ment Watcher 07/05/12 - 06:20 am
Sconyers

I only caught a short bit of an item about Sconyers on one of the TV Stations. Did anyone get the whole thing and what it was about. Couldn't find it on any of the TV sites.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 06:54 am
Good Morning, fellow Chronicle peeps

Good Morning, fellow Chronicle peeps. I see SeenIt is throwing out her metaphors again this morning. :)

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/05/12 - 07:04 am
ranter#1 i agree with you

ranter#1 i agree with you 100%

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/05/12 - 07:40 am
ranter#1 i agree with you

ranter#1 i agree with you 100% it shouled be a "proud to ba an american, who believes in old fashioned discipline, respectful to myself and others-especially the elderly, believe in the importance of education, wearing pants on the waist with a belt, law-abiding and law respecting, able to speak proper english, not relying on government or not having the entitlement mentality, personal responibility, proud to believe in and love th lord and believes marriage is between one man and one woman" parade

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 07:29 am
Huge article in the AJC

Huge find for physics.....when physicists shed tears & jump up in frequent applause ..ya know something BIG has happened...other articles in the ajc today...worth reading..

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 07:34 am

Thanks for covering this(why all matter has mass) .......& thanks To Steve Crawford for doing a great job on other threads....

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 07:42 am
I just hope those CERN atom

I just hope those CERN atom smashing guys don't drop a lit match in the fireworks box and we have a bigger than expected fireworks display.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 07:52 am
Yeh...nice knowing ya rm

The fireworks could be in the N Ga mountains...now it seems the blacks in Atlanta don't want the kkk to have a sign on the road in Blairsville....soooo now the kkk--aclu-blacks from Atlanta---fancy lawyers will all gather in the quiet sleepy part of Ga.....
I told yall this could get ugly.....I just hope the good people there (n Ga) have the good sense to just stay at home & let the outsiders go at it...we don't want Oprah coming down again & putting these law abiding folks on tv ........really a shame .....all of this stirring over a dang stupid sign...

gotta go--- need to check my guns---& so forth...I have kin in them thar hills.......I know how they can get when riled....see yall!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 07:59 am
Give the KKK a road to

Give the KKK a road to clean-up in a black neigborhood. Tell the blacks to watch them picking up the trash and encourage them to work. Maybe the blacks would even join in. Now that would be some kind of perverse action bringing racial harmony.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/05/12 - 08:24 am
Newspapers

Amen to the rant about newspapers & circulars!!! No one in my neighborhood reads them either, and I'm tired of being the trash police for people that walk right past them, or actually step on them, and are too dang lazy to BEND OVER and pick them up, and eventually they end up in the street. I've seen people pick them up and THROW them in the street. Whaaat? I care what my neighborhood looks like, I wish you people had alittle more pride in where you live.

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 08:24 am
Speaks about your chracter.

"all of this stirring over a dang stupid sign"

I hate that you feel that way.

BamaMan
BamaMan 07/05/12 - 08:26 am
In your face...

Going into an establishment to see garbage, is different that parading it out in the open. Just don't go or look, you say, you can't stay in the house 24 hours a day, and it's everywhere, not just parades.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 08:48 am
haha

I'm glad I cked back for a moment..

I could care less about how YOU feel about my character....I also don't care about the sign placement...neither for or against......but what does BOTHER me is people who don't give a rats behind about these good folks BUT they want to tell them how to run their neighborhood....

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 08:50 am
Good morning Augusta

I hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July and celebrated Independence Day with their family.

I sure hope that I will be welcomed to post here amongst all the old-timers.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 09:06 am
Great to seeya againl

Just watch for the minefield though......ya know :)

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 09:04 am

You never know how REAL I may be or what I MAY KNOW. But I will try to be a good girl. Tired of not being myself. People want me to be open, honest, and truthful ... well you cannot do that hiding behind a "screenname" so HERE I AM!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 09:10 am
Some want to bait a hook

Some want to fish....some want to play....some just want to flush others down the ole tubes......

Stirring is their hobby....but you know what A MIND IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE.......just like my naysayer up above....:)

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 09:24 am
Banners

I will let the banner on my home page speak for itself.

Gotta go. Have tons to do today. But I will leave you with two of my favorite quotes about courage:

“Stand up for what YOU believe in ... even if it means standing ALONE.”

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is MORE IMPORTANT than fear.”

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 07/05/12 - 09:29 am
Steve Crawford, et.al.

And to add in my two cents before I get some work done ... Thank you very much Steve Crawford for not letting anyone stand in your way or tell you what to do. I wish we had more reporters like you in the CSRA! You are a true and rare gem in a bucket of ROCKS!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/05/12 - 09:29 am
Very nice

Nice pic.....I'm proud to know you!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/05/12 - 09:30 am
To #1

Knock yourself out. As far as I know, all you have to do is get a permit.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/05/12 - 09:37 am
I was able to look at the pictures to see which businesses are s

"I was able to look at the pictures to see which businesses are supporting sin."

So, if I am understanding you correctly; if you had a business, you would discourage homosexuals from doing business with you?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/05/12 - 09:48 am
BamaMan

What is less appealing; two men or two women holding hands walking down the street, or some thuggy kid with his baggy pants hanging halfway down his arse with drawers shining?
Or radio cranked up so loud the rear deck in the car is buzzing as well as the windows in your car.
Or grossly obese people in stretch clothing with excess hanging out everywhere. (Walmart people-you've seen the photo spreads)

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 10:44 am
Looking at the new arrivals

Looking at the new arrivals in the comments section here today if there were ever a doubt that some officers in the RCSO are strongly opposed to Peebles it just went away.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...