Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RANTS TO THE River­walk keepers. Having moved here five years ago, I have walked the riverwalk most all holidays and taken many visitors there. However, this past weekend the riverwalk was an embarrassment with lots of weeds, dead bushes, bushes in need of trimming, and leaves and grass clippings on walkways. Fortunately, the grass was cut and there really wasn’t paper trash around, but the general appearance was the worst I’ve seen it.

How sad to neglect this most valuable resource and probably our best accessible tourist attraction.

THE TRIAL OF ROGER Clemens just ended. How many millions of taxpayer money was wasted on this trial of a baseball player who lied to Congress, and when will we, the American taxpayers, get the chance to take Con­gress to trial for lying to us, the American people?

YOUR PAGE 2A “This Day in History” feature can find an anniversary of some Nixon-Watergate aberration to call to our attention almost every day but never seems to notice Bill Clinton’s shenanigans?

RANTS FOR THE person who said Tay­lor Swift needs to get over herself. That person needs to get a life of their own and stop being jealous.

THE ONLY REASON Fred Luter was elected president of the South­ern Baptist Con­ven­tion was for political reasons. Anybody can put two and two together to see that.

CONGRATULATIONS, Shawn at Dillard’s Au­gus­ta Mall, for your new promotion as store manager! Long time awaited, but well-deserved.

I AM APPALLED at how bad the plant beds look at the Augusta municipal building. Weeds growing everywhere. I can’t believe that the city administrator or any of the commissioners care.

RANTS TO the Augusta Fire Department engines. Please come to a complete stop at controlled intersections while responding to an emergency.

PAINE COLLEGE SAYS It’s a private organization, but if 905 of students get federal assistance, who’s really controlling things?

THIS IS A RAVE for the Columbia County Tax Assessors Office. They valued my boat 9 percent more this year. I’ll use it for the next 10 years, then sell it to them and buy a yacht. I’ve never had a boat or vehicle increase in value every year.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/02/12 - 09:10 pm
Why no article about the TEE Center fiasco?

Everyday, the news coming out about the TEE Center is worse. Are the legal problems ever going to be straightened out? Who now has the parking contract? What about the lack of events being scheduled? They're now asking the public to hold family reunions there. Remember the original promises of the tens of millions it would be making?

Jake
Jake 07/02/12 - 09:22 pm
Riverwalk decline

It was fun going to Riverwalk when it first opened and they had the pub and other places to eat and drink at. Now it is almost ghostly and not vibrant like it once was. Shame, really.

Jake
Jake 07/02/12 - 09:36 pm
Side note

This not related to any R&R's but it has been 2 weeks since Retired Army has been heard of. Did he get canned? I really don't like thin-skinned canning of any poster no matter who they are. I think everyone who posts regularly should be allowed to stay unless they are totally out of control with inflamatory comments and insults. Ask Riverman.

allhans
allhans 07/02/12 - 10:28 pm
Ranter 8 wants fire trucks

Ranter 8 wants fire trucks responding to an emergency to come to a complete stop at stop signs?
If they are coming to my house, I say full speed ahead.

allhans
allhans 07/02/12 - 10:30 pm
Every election is political,

Every election is political, Baptist or otherwise. He got the job, didn't he. So good for him.

bclicious
bclicious 07/03/12 - 02:11 am
Ranter number 8, Fire Trucks

Please be advised that under Georgia law; emergency vehicles are not required to stop at controlled intersections. They are merely required to show due diligence to not create an accident.

You and all other Georgia drivers are however required by Georgia law to yield to any and all emergency vehicles which are actively in operation.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/03/12 - 04:36 am
Jake, you are right. I miss Retired Army, too.

Jake, you are right. I miss Retired Army, too. I know Sean has a tough job, but he sometimes doesn't get the context of a thread because he has so many posts to review.

I had a great one pulled the other day that was not mean spirited in any way. It was simply a funny name for a local politician, a sheriff's candidate.

I was told the reason I was banned before was because I made up satirical names about politicians. I was previously told if I used a funny description of Mayor Copenhaver again I would be "personally banned." I guess that's worse than other kinds of banning.

It's hard not to be funny when the comments are under a column that's meant to be funny. I mean that's down right unAmerican. Heh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/03/12 - 04:41 am
About this midweek holiday.

All I have to do is make it today and then I'll be off the 4th. No one can expect any serious work the rest of the week. So this is kind of like a Friday. I sound like a Democrat from Europe.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/03/12 - 06:43 am
Ranter #5, evidently does not

Ranter #5, evidently does not know the man or has never heard him preach the Word of God. I think he will be a great leader for the convention.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/03/12 - 07:29 am
Good Morning America, AC Friends and TSDs

Just a quick note to let you know that you will not be seeing me for a while, week or two. I don't want you to think that Sean had laid me on the guillotine. Sad family situation in Kansas City.

I hope you keep feeding food thoughts to the Downers, They need it to survive.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 07:55 am
Cgee

Sorry about the problems but please do be careful & take care.....we will miss you as usual.

Good am honeys-troublemakers-bad guys-goodies but oldies & all the in betweens...

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 07:58 am
River

Why is it so hard for you to just be a good docile poster.....why??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/12 - 07:59 am
Fishy or Sloppy? You Decide.

In Sunday's Chronicle we read that Wright McLeod sent the FEC only a line item marked "payroll" and a large dollar amount, prompting the FEC to send him a letter:

By law, the letter notes, congressional campaigns must name and provide other information about people paid more than $200 in a calendar year. McLeod, an Augusta lawyer, said recently that “we only listed it as payroll, which is what we were told the law requires.”

Come on, McLeod says he is a lawyer. How can he hide behind this “what we were told” fig leaf? First off, what is this we nonsense — who is "we"? Second off, who are the people who allegedly told him incorrectly? Did he get his information from the desk clerk at the public library?

McLeod does not stand up and take responsibility for his mistakes. He tries to deflect to some anonymous advice giver, and then play the victim. That's not the kind of person you want for your congressman.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/03/12 - 08:04 am
Thirty Seconds

RM, I hope that Sean does not ban you for calling Joe Neal the thirty-second man!

Clemintime
Clemintime 07/03/12 - 08:15 am
Riverwalk Upkeep

I agree with the first rant. The Riverwalk's condition is deplorable. I have suggested before that one or all of the county commissioners including the mayor take an unannounced walk there to see what the city of Augusta is showcasing as a major attraction to downtown. Funding for upkeep of existing assets needs to be in place before any consideration for future "county/city enhancements".

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 08:16 am
Llamb heh heh

Question....Do they keep the air cond running all summer at the Tee??

I did not know Anderson Cooper was gay.......call me duh duh....but didn't know Rock was either.....I did pick up on Elton John.......very good looking men except for Elton.......he
is just too prissy.

Why is it we don't have he-man tough looking --gun toting guys on tv?

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 08:23 am
The rant says

Only to YOUR house.......all others full steam ahead...as allhans said.

btw....most of these men are excellent drivers ..I have seen them do some impossible things!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 08:28 am
About Taylor Swift

I like her--think she is a smart cookie BUT how many times can you be awestruck...it just looks fake to me .........after a 100 times or so....are you still in awe...

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 07/03/12 - 08:32 am
CG beat me to it however, he

CG beat me to it however, he did autrhorize me to tell his Friends why he will be out of pocket for an undetermined amount of time. Sadly, CG's Brother-in-law was in a single vehicle accident, between Topeka and Blue Springs Kansas. Presently, he is on life-support in critical condition. I will also request that prayers be said for Brother-in-law, and their family. CG will contact me as time permits, and I will update the situation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 08:42 am
Most discussed

I'm with ksl on that....why is it that the most discussed are NOT really the most????

Trying to fool us & guide us to certain threads??? We are not bobbleheads ........even if we do look like one sometimes...:)
Bring the dang discussion page BACK----you would get MORE posts & we could enjoy our friends comments on here!!!

Thanks sarge for the update.

harley_52
harley_52 07/03/12 - 08:53 am
CG....

Best wishes for you and your brother-in-law. We'll be praying for you.

harley_52
harley_52 07/03/12 - 09:01 am
Little Lamb....

You seem to know a lot about Wright McLeod. We all know he "flew" F-14s for the Navy, but what does that mean? Was he the Pilot, or was he the Radar Intercept Officer (not the pilot)? Did he "fly" the plane, or did he "fly in" the plane?

beboisme
beboisme 07/03/12 - 09:25 am
Where is your underwear child?

I was traveling down W'Boro Rd. Sunday evening and saw a vehicle that had turned left to enter the Wifesaver. The car had failed to go over the drain ditch before it stopped running. The car was in my lane so I stopped and put on the hazard lights so the teenage male could safely push the car out of the ditch and over the huge hump while the female steered the car. He honkered down in his big blousey "poly and esther" gym shorts and wifebeater shirt and began pushing the car. I looked at his rather thin, non-workout type legs and thought, goodness I don't think he'll get that by himself. He honkered more, and he made it out of the ditch and over the hump to safety! When the car rolled off the young man stood straight and Lord have mercy his shorts were now just above his knees. There in the distance was the shiniest nude behind I'd ever seen, no drawers, no nothing! It was at this moment I recalled what I had given my mom for her birthday back in Nov. of 1960 when I was a mere 6 years old, and that was a giant pea shooter! A half pound of peas were included with the ten inch shooting straw, I was so proud of my gift to her. As I sat in my car I had to laugh to myself because I wished right then that I had that pea shooter! He would have felt my expertise at landing the perfect pea on his naked behind! As he pulled up his shorts and walked toward the car he never looked my way to give a thank you or acknowledge me in anyway. So now I'm thinking he really needs the wrath of a pea shooter on his behind! Well now I've made myself a promise. I'm going to find another pea shooter and I'm going to load it and keep it in my car as you never know when the "moon" will rise again and I want to be ready 'cause I got some dinging to do! Mothers always say."Make sure your underwear is clean before you leave the house." I guess no one told this young man to make sure he had a pair "on" before he left the house! Save your eyesight and get a pea shooter.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 10:08 am
river said ...

Riverman107/03/12 - 04:01 am

We are at the tipping point.

The election is BIG. We are at the tipping point for America as we know it. The have-nots will be using the trailer steps for firewood if the Democrats win. We need a mobilization of conservative voters like never before.

The only problem is...it is tipping in the other direction.....even Murdock sees that......very hard to take freebies away .....they will vote for them everytime........til everything crashes down around us..:(

Jake
Jake 07/03/12 - 11:01 am
Satirical Politician Names

You mean you are not allowed to post satirical politician names? I guess that must only apply to local politicians and not the federal ones based upon what Obama has been called. I wonder what the mileage radius of satire is from Augusta before you can start making satirical political names?

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/03/12 - 11:29 am
My guess

Heph-za-bah. Outside of that, politicians are fair game.

Rosemary11
Rosemary11 07/03/12 - 11:42 am
re: Where is your underwear child?

That reminds me when I was younger and before road rage, my mother would yell at drivers merging into traffic "to stick your nose out there!" She would always say she was going to get a rubber chicken to beat on the dashboard. I just thought she was weird. lol. Seriously though, it seems the generation coming up has no manners what so ever. My 5 year old came home from summer camp telling me some of the kids in his class all eat with their mouths open. I would hold the door open for someone and not get some much as a thank you. What's wrong with people now a days? Maybe I'll get a pea shooter AND a rubber chicken.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 12:21 pm
heh heh

We need levity...our bodies ache for it...well kinda...I guess Jake is safe since he posts all the way from California....& maybe I'm a little bit safe outside Atlanta.....
What can SM do to us this far away....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 12:25 pm
Andy Griffith

My hubby has just lost his favorite actor Andy......he watches the reruns over-over & over,......he says they just don't make programs that good anymore......& Don Knotts was a perfect co partner for him....they both were the best of all time......will miss that laughing.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/03/12 - 12:48 pm
Attention!!

Either follow the program on here or get this !!