Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

PRESIDENT OBAMA will do anything to garner votes. First it was his stance on gays marrying and now his watering down of immigration law. Maybe his next step is to pardon all felons so that they can vote for him?

MY NEIGHBORHOOD POOL SAYS if you live in the neighborhood, you can’t come to the pool as a paying guest because they want you to join. … Sorry to my neighbors’ little girl that I was going to take as my guest to play with my children next week, but I’m not allowed to take you and they don’t care that your daddy was just laid off, either. ... Just plain fed up with neighborhood associations!

RAVES TO ALL the kind people. I recently had a flat tire in the cut-through behind Five Guys, Rhodes Murphy, Yotopia shopping center in Evans. I immediately called my husband to change the tire. Before he arrived, I had many people stop and ask me if I needed help. Some even walked over to my car and offered assistance and stayed with me. The spare was a little low, and I drove immediately to Jiffy Lube in Evans for air. It had just closed. The kind young man that was closing up opened the door and put air in my tire. It made me feel so good to know that we still have so many good people.

“GITMO” IS MORE than just a prison. It’s an entire gigantic naval base that is strategically important to our defense. So, we can’t just “close” Gitmo. For a “win-win,” the terrorists jailed there should be put on a motorless barge and hauled halfway to the Azores, where the barge will be set loose and each terrorist given a paddle.

NEITHER ROMNEY NOR Obama looks good in the polls. Only bizarre, behind-the-scene manipulators could have corralled us into such a choice, between a mediocre Republican who is not predictable and an appalling Democrat who has already made a gross mess. Alas, the least of two evils.

DO YOU ACTUALLY think a prospective medical or dental student is going to spend $100k on their education to have “Augusta Arsenal University” printed on their diploma, competing with Johns Hopkins, Yale, UCLA, Emory, even UGA? I can’t believe the provincialism of this place!

dwb619
dwb619 06/29/12 - 05:55 pm
felons

That's a thought. But first the felon's must petition the courts to have their voting rights restored.

comet2u
comet2u 06/29/12 - 05:59 pm
Release the felons and

Release the felons and convicted murders? I though only Republican governors in Mississippi did that...

countyman
19545
countyman 06/30/12 - 01:59 am
Rant#6.... The University of

Rant#6.... The University of Augusta sounds cool!

The other day I said the building at 227 Bobby Jones was under contract... ALDI is coming to the former Golden Corral(next to the new one) property on Bobby Jones/I-520 in Martinez... This is a good location right on the Richmond county(Sams, Home Depot, Rooms to Go, etc)/Columbia county(Golden Corral, Walmart, etc) border.. I wish the Earthfare in Martinez had picked a better location closer to the main shopping of West Augusta(Augusta Exchange, Augusta mall, etc)....

The renovation of the Regency Inn(Holiday Inn Express) on Broad street will begin soon in the CBD... $5 million investment, 118 rooms, and located at the entrance of Olde Town...

Regency Inn

Holiday Inn Express

I'm ready for the Hyatt Place to break ground, then we can continue watching the CBD/Medical District skylines change...

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/12 - 07:26 am
Skylines Change?

Now that's really being optimistic.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/12 - 07:37 am
Aldi Store Is Interesting

Countyman says an Aldi store is coming to the old Golden Corral building on Bobby Jones. I was reading about their stores. They're unusual because they are small discount grocery stores. They don't accept checks or credit cards. They have their own brands and are able to cut prices because of that practice and other cost saving measures. One such measure is you pay .25 cents for a shopping cart that you get back when it's returned. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/30/business/30aldi.html?pagewanted=all

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/12 - 08:15 am
Aldi

We have one near us...it is cheaper inprices.....but small selection....nice store........if you aren't looking for a special item it is just right....hubby loves it!
Bagg your own---very few employees---will take debit cards...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/12 - 08:17 am
Grow your own veggies

Grow your own veggies & buy local .....help our local growers first

hello honeybees & troublemakers & Mr. Shades of Grey...(you know who)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/12 - 08:27 am
I get no respect

I get no respect on the R and R's. I feel like Ashley Tyson at Tobacco Road Elementary School.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/12 - 08:28 am
SeenIt, interesting about the

SeenIt, interesting about the Aldi stores. Just think they came without us giving them anything, unlike Costco.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/30/12 - 08:38 am
We Need to Clarify What Dr. Azziz Meant

When this naming thing first started Dr. Azziz put conditions and his preferences on the naming. If I recall correctly he said he wanted a name that reflects something new. That would apparently leave Augusta out of the name.

Will the Board of Regents stay within his guidelines when they come up with the official name? Secondly, has Dr. Azziz changed his mind? Should he be interviewed again to clarify what he meant?

If that is an official, working guideline, Augusta will not be in the name. Can we get a little help here? And while you're at it, ask him if he would mind reverting back to MCG for the med school part since this is a whole new game.

Are we afraid to ask him? Heck, I'm not. I just did, come to think of it. Maybe he'll even answer, who knows?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/12 - 08:41 am
Few choices in store

If you can be satisfied with very few choices (I doubt that) you will like the store...

Gotta run now....might join the group later..:)

Write your book....you know you can make a best seller.

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 09:17 am
We have an Aldi in Aiken. I

We have an Aldi in Aiken. I love it.

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 11:03 am
Yesterday at Aldi I paid

Yesterday at Aldi I paid $1.00 for a carton of large hormone free eggs.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/30/12 - 11:12 am
"One such measure is you pay

"One such measure is you pay .25 cents for a shopping cart that you get back when it's returned."

Judging from what I see, they will make a lot of money on that. If people are too darned lazy to walk it 50 feet to put a cart in a corral, they are certainly too darned lazy to walk it 50 yards back to the store for a quarter.

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 11:33 am
I have yet to see a single

I have yet to see a single person leave a shopping cart in the parking lot. Now the reason could be that people who shop at Aldi are not lazy because it is not one stop shopping. I still had to go to another store for some things.

harley_52
harley_52 06/30/12 - 12:40 pm
I've never been to an Aldi

I've never been to an Aldi store, but I'd sure like to see a Trader Joe's open in Augusta.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/30/12 - 01:23 pm
Afternoon America, AC Friends & TSDs.

I just had to come in from mowing Cobalt Park...it's too dam hot...My thermometer must be wrong...111.2.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/30/12 - 02:10 pm
False

Poo-Canned

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 01:59 pm
Methinks

The Ocare fans are in for a lot of unpleasant surprises.

harley_52
harley_52 06/30/12 - 02:00 pm
CG....I hate to be the bearer

CG....I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but your "facts" are incorrect. There is a new 3.8% Medicare tax, but the manner in which it's applied is not the way your post, or the blog you linked, describes.

It's all quite complicated and I'm certainly NOT a supporter of the new tax, but the facts are explained (with examples) here....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/30/12 - 02:01 pm
KSL

Right or Wrong?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/30/12 - 02:09 pm
Harley

I getting to the point of not posting anymore facts that I have done some research on. You are a better researcher than I am and I'm not.

Jake
Jake 06/30/12 - 02:13 pm
Trader Joes

We have quite a few around here and they always see me every Friday.
Whole Foods is another fine, but pricey, store. I didn't care much for the Earth Fair in Martinez, lousy produce for a store that is supposed to have fine, organic fruits & veggies.

How are y'all putting up with the heat? I was there a year ago and it was very hot but nothing like you have it now. I hate to say it but it is 74, sunny with a slight breeze out here.

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 02:21 pm
CG

Yes and no. It's aimed at those the dems consider wealthy with that magic $250,000 number once again. This time it is based on the sales price.

harley_52
harley_52 06/30/12 - 02:21 pm
CG, just trying to be

CG, just trying to be helpful. :)

harley_52
harley_52 06/30/12 - 02:24 pm
Trader Joe's....

Jake....I have a daughter in LA. She loves Trader Joe's. She's taken me in to the stores several times when I visited and I have to agree they're head and shoulders above anything around here. Closest we have is the "Fresh Market" which is pretty good, but not like Trader Joe's. I think they may have one in Atlanta.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/30/12 - 02:35 pm
Jake

you are MEAN - and hard-hearted to mention your temperature here. Its' bad enough as it is!
And, as far as Aldi is concerned - I could not be happier! I don't need all the fancy frills - I want decent food and decent prices and shopping carts that have to be returned (fantastic!!) Go Aldi - go - you will certainly be tops on my list.

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 05:14 pm
Jake

My last experience with Earthfare was not pleasant. We were going out of town for Thanksgiving and wanted a fresh turkey. My husband was going to fry it and for practical purposes a frozen turkey would not have worked. We placed our order for a 12 pound turkey and on our way to "grandmother's house" we stopped to pick up the bird. Guess what, they had sold our bird, had only 18 pound fresh turkeys left. Too big to fit into the basket of our turkey fryer. Too late to shop somewhere else. We were on our way. Too late to change pots. Fortunately some engineering which included a broom handle saved the day providing a safe way to get the cooked bird up and out.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/30/12 - 03:23 pm
harley

No offence taken, I accept anytime anybody proves I am wrong. I have been corrected many times in my life. When proven wrong, I have no problem saying I'm wrong not like some on here.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/30/12 - 04:50 pm
Birdbath

I have refilled my birdbath twice today...the squirrels-birds-chipmunks & etc. are usng it big tme today......so I put out a few more containers for them.....

Really hot here Jake......Mr Bragger :)