Government

More News | | | Editor

Transportation representative Don Grantham will speak on tax referendum

Georgia Department of Transportation District 10 representative Don Grantham will speak tonight on a July 31 referendum on a special 1 percent transportation sales tax.

The meeting is hosted by Pride and Progress of Augusta-Richmond County. It begins at 7 p.m. at University Medical Center South, 3121 Peach Orchard Road, Room 201.

Insider Information
Insider Information 06/26/12 - 03:01 pm
Speech preview

Speech preview: Give me your money.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/26/12 - 03:05 pm
Advocacy

It ought to be illegal for public servants to advocate for tax referenda — that goes for elected officials such as Deke Copenhaver + county commissioners; or appointed officials such as Don Grantham; or employees such as Fred (What, me worry?) Russell. These officials are public servants, and they shouldn't use their official position to lobby for tax increases.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/26/12 - 04:41 pm
Little Lamb

I agree but it is up to us to tell them at the voting both, thanks but no thanks. Sell your snake oil somewhere else. We don't want any.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 06/26/12 - 04:56 pm
Double post

I thought that i was smarter than that. Obviously, I am not

my.voice
my.voice 06/26/12 - 05:16 pm
We need no more new taxes. We

We need no more new taxes. We need the commission to shop locally, use local vendors, consultants. Berckmans Road is being designed by an Atlanta firm with ties to local officials. Its just not right. When is this commission even going to start caring about the citizenry?

You want more sales tax? Stop sending OUR money to Atlanta.

This tsplost is just a wolf in pigs clothing. Please stop taxing us.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/26/12 - 05:14 pm
VOTE NO!!!

The only good in a local option sales tax is that all of the drug dealers, check recipient receivers and do nothings have to pay some taxes. But don't give the local government more money to waste!!! They can't even start and finish the Windsor Spring Road project that has been on the drawing board forever!!

star
star 06/26/12 - 05:18 pm
Don Grantham

Don Grantham is a politician and like most politicians he wants to raise our taxes to make "progress." Stay at home and don't send a message of NO to INCREASE TAX July 31 and notice how much more you will be paying when buying groceries, appliances, a car or when you check-out at WalMart.

resident
resident 06/26/12 - 05:18 pm
So much for public hearing notice

Let me see here....Tell everyone of a meeting so we can count it as a public hearing on the subject 2 hours before it happens........I get it the politicians only have to fill squares...constitution means nothing..All of them!!!!

star
star 06/26/12 - 05:30 pm
Why vote to pay more

If DOT/GA STATE GOV could prove to us they are good stewarts of our tax dollars I might - but probably not - vote to increase my taxes. Look at all the everyday necessities you use and think about paying more in taxes, not to include the ever increasing prices of goods. Better buy those big ticket items before July 31 increase in case there aren't enough smart people to vote NO to the TSPLOST. Remember once a tax is on the books it NEVER COMES OFF. I will be buying a lot of my needs across the Sav. River if this TSPLOST passes.

star
star 06/26/12 - 05:35 pm
Windsor Springs Rd

If you haven't read the article about Windsor Springs Rd "widening" go back to Sunday's paper - this should tell you clearly what happens/or doesn't happen to our tax money. So why should anyone vote YES to RAISE TAXES.

Insider Information
Insider Information 06/26/12 - 05:43 pm

Any guesses on which attorney will be hitting the lottery when bonds need to be sold for the SPLOST projects?

Bond sales are the cash cows for local attorneys that no one wants to talk about.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/26/12 - 05:47 pm
Oh, I feel better...Don Grantham is Involved

Oh, I feel so much better...Don Grantham is involved.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/26/12 - 07:06 pm
Forensic audit.

Instead of listening to their dog and pony show I would rather see a "forensic audit" of how much gasoline tax has been collected from our region in the last 15 or 20 years and where it went. Ask them for that info and see what you get. My guess is that most of it is sunk in concrete around metro Atlanta. Vote NO on TSPLOST because you are not as stupid as they think you are.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...