Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

EUROPE HAS THE same problem we have: too much spending. If we can’t stop it, just what makes us think they will?

RANT TO THE PERSON in Crestland who stole my metal yard sale signs. We were having a sale to benefit our church. They are now back in the rightful owner’s hand, thanks to my alert wife.

IF CHRIS JAMES WAS white, he would never have been considered as fire chief of Augusta. They should put in small print “whites need not apply because this is a minority city.”

A BIG RAVE for the June 14 letter to the editor “It’s time To say enough.” It was absolutely wonderful. I am a native Augustan. Amen, sister!

I BET THERE ARE NO other school districts in Georgia that have their teachers required to take nine furlough days. The reason is state cutbacks and high graduation rates. The goal was to have more students graduate. Richmond Coun­ty is going to have a difficult time hiring and keeping great teachers. Shame on Richmond County; you are putting a financial burden on your teachers which could be distracting in the classroom: nine days’ lost pay.

REFERENCE THE SALUDA sheriff who was indicted for working prisoners on private property. You can only work prisoners on city, county or state property after they have been tried. If he is a prison trusty, and he came to your house and asked to sweep your porch, you had better say no.

TO ANSWER THE letter from the teacher about bullying: There was a bus driver who was being bullied by her aides. She went through all of the proper channels and nothing was being done. So she went to the sheriff’s department and action was taken after that. Tea­chers, you need to go to the sheriff’s department.

I AM A VETERAN who is in pain. They took an X-ray, but it will be five months before I get to see anybody. What am I supposed to do for the next five months with this pain? It took me almost a year to get an MRI. Someone needs to investigate. We need some help.

RANT FOR THE COUNTY and the state. Wrightsboro Road and Bobby Jones Expressway are an absolute disgrace to Augusta with grass growing through the cracks in the sidewalks. Trash is everywhere. When people come in from out of state, they must think Augusta is just pitiful.

anotherday
anotherday 06/26/12 - 08:04 pm
VA Rant

This is the second VA complaint in the last week. I have received excellent care at both the uptown and downtown. When I can't get a live person, I dial 0. I do not work for the VA, I am a veteran. My father also has received great service. I am moving back from Alaska next week, and the Augusta Downtown CALLED ME to set appointments up here in Alaska. I think a good idea if you are having problems is to call the
Patient Advocate.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/26/12 - 09:05 pm
@9

I guess you haven't read the King SMNCICBHO Health Care Bill. 5 months will be a short time after it gets into full swing. You just maybe logged in on the Death Panel list.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/26/12 - 09:17 pm
@7

Would you be kind enough to log in and post a reason for you to ever make a comment like that!!!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/26/12 - 09:33 pm
Sean

"ACTIVE-DUTY MILITARY should not be entitled to any more than a WWII veteran who is still living and gave his time for service.

You have poo-canned many comments made on here, How can you allow such an offensive Rant like this to be made? A complete dishonor, not to one, but to all our Active Military Men & Women.

countyman
countyman 06/26/12 - 10:08 pm
The 7k sq. ft. center with

The 7k sq. ft. center featuring Dunkin Donuts, and three other tenants broke ground today on Wheeler rd in West Augusta...

There's plenty of construction next to the Savannah River bank in the Augusta Exchange area.. I'm not sure if the work is related to the Home2Suites by Hilton, Savannah River Bank subdivision(commercial lots), or the Exchange Lane(new road)... The construction might even involve all three of the projects, because the address of the hotel is 3606 Exchange Lane...

The new Steak & Shake at Belair Frontage/Jimmie Dyess/I-20 is well underway... The business might have a Augusta address, but it's either located in Grovetown(not the city limits) or Martinez...

I'm still waiting for the Cookout(1801 Walton Way: empty lot between Burger King and Shell gas station; Walton Way/Crawford Ave intersection), and the Kroger development(land infront of the Washington Walk shopping center: former Sonic and car wash: two 4k sq. ft. retail buildings and new access road) to break ground....

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/27/12 - 05:20 am
Observations from the road

One of Rachel Maddow's guests, in an attempt to justify the government to force every American to buy health insurance pointed out two acts in the late 1700's. One was that the owner of any ship above a certain size was to purchase insurance for his crew. So you see, the attacks on the "one percenters" started in the 18th century. Anyone who owned a ship in that time had to be a one percenter. But to the point, that wasn't aimed at the individual.

She also referenced George Washington and the Second Militia Act of 1792. This stated that every able bodied man purchase a musket and ammo. So my progressive friends, if you are going to reference that leave my second amendment rights alone and go buy yourself a rifle.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/27/12 - 05:24 am
Good morning Awguster, sb4,

Good morning Awguster, sb4, cg, rm1, sfb, ch, and the rest of the alphabet. And I can't forget T and WB.

I am thinking of changing my screen name. The initials will stay the same. I am considering Rice Krispies, since that's what it sounds like when ever I stand or sit now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/12 - 05:30 am
I see where you refer to the

I see where you refer to the former car wash. Who used to own it?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/12 - 05:50 am
RK, about the first Seamen's

RK, about the first Seamen's Act, it was only for those ships that sailed internationally and didn't maintain a medicine chest. The second act in 1798 required seamen to pay a fee when coming into port to establish places of health care and later hospitals for seamen. Both of these acts were obviously designed for narrow circumstances in a specific profession. You could say, by not including farmers, carpenters and such, everyone else was excluded.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/12 - 06:12 am
Can we please take up a

Can we please take up a collection and get Jimmy Carter in a care home of some kind?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/12 - 06:27 am
Healthcare in 2015

This is soooo funny...thanks eyes

good am to all the chiwawas....that is funny too!:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/12 - 06:30 am
RKill

Nahhh....I just don't see ya as Rice Krispies.....or Corn Flakes

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/12 - 06:51 am
Jimmy Carter

Why is it so hard for some ex-Presidents to get OFF the stage.....do they get addicted to the limelight-attention-AForce 1--abuse from the media--I know a couple on here would probably act the same way.....because they have proven time & time again that they can't be pushed off of here......& lord knows Sean can give them plenty of abuse BUT they keep ticking ........
thank you Sean...it has been a long time since you have abused me.....:)

boomhauer
boomhauer 06/27/12 - 07:02 am
@ rant #3 You hit the nail on

@ rant #3 You hit the nail on the head there!

@ rant #10 You are correct, and Augusta is just nasty in general. There are a few good folk here though!

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/27/12 - 07:32 am
Meaningless argument.

"George Washington and the Second Militia Act of 1792"

Yes, the liberals like to throw that one up as a defense of the constitutionality of Obamacare. I cannot find any reference that the Second Militia Act of 1792 was challenged in court. It may well have been unconstitutional too but we will never know since, apparently, most folks supported it......unlike Obamacare. Just because something has happened in the past does not mean it was constitutional. It just means the it was supported by the people and was not challenged in court. There are probably lots of laws on the books that are unconstitutional.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/27/12 - 07:33 am
Ranter # 5

I agree that the furlough days are not the way to go. Instead, public school teachers should be given a 10% pay cut in their base salaries, and the supplemental salaries should be cut also. That way, classes still go on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/12 - 07:37 am
Music for the soul

I know some will see a change in my choices of music......but sometimes we need to medicate our souls........

seeyall

countyman
countyman 06/27/12 - 07:49 am
West Augusta growing

Here's the information on the Kroger development along Washington rd(West Augusta)....

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/27/12 - 08:15 am
Good Morning all ... let me

Good Morning all ... let me try to see if I can stay out of TIME OUT today :) ... I know I am being a bit ambitious in that thought process.

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/27/12 - 09:13 am
Thank you Ms. Caryl Pender

Check out todays LTE

Sheriff needs street smarts ...
By: Caryl M. Pender

And Thank You AC for putting something positive about other candidates today.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/27/12 - 09:25 am
Re; Active Duty Military

This ranter obviously knows little about the Military, andour government's obligations. Here is a hint; it's a comment from a speech made by Teddy Roosevelt. Read and try to comprehend!

“A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled to, and less than that no man shall have.”

kmb413
kmb413 06/27/12 - 09:30 am
VA

I couldn't get an appointment. I was in pain. The person I finally got on the phone said "if you need to be seen go to the VA ER, that is the quickest way to get an appointment". I did go to the VA ER, next day had an appointment.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/27/12 - 09:34 am
anotherday, I agree with you!

anotherday, I agree with you! Both our VA hospitals have provided great services in the past, and still do! I would ask the ranter, who claims Veteran status, just what level of care he/she receives. Service connected disabilities are rated, at different levels, they receive different levels of care. I suggest to the ranter to thoroughly examine what he/she is entitled to before complaining!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/12 - 10:26 am
About this Columbia County

About this Columbia County drinking survey. I wonder if they give you booze or something to see how much you can manage? I just might sign up.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/27/12 - 10:32 am
I can't help but wonder if

I can't help but wonder if those who take the survey will be honest! I'd sign up with you, RM1, but until I get past this treatment, I've had to take it off my menu!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/27/12 - 10:36 am
All the boys at the VFW

All the boys at the VFW wouldn't mind helping out with the survey if we got a few on the house. Sarge, I'll buy you lots when you get better.

allhans
allhans 06/27/12 - 01:45 pm
Sarge..I have a sister who

Sarge..I have a sister who just went through the chemo thing. I have seen what she went through and I know it is NOT easy.
Good luck to you. Hopefully better days are ahead.

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/27/12 - 11:27 am
It is a total SHAME that people

South of the Mason-Dixon Line think, THINK, race has so much significance on hiring preactices thruout the area!!!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/12 - 11:36 am
aclu will represent the kkk in the litter sign dispute

For those who wondered.....yes they will represent the KKK in the litter sign dispute......Union county says the KKK should clean their own roads in Fannin county (where the leader lives) instead of worrying about their roads in Blairsville......the leader says his office is in Blairsville & they will clean there...:):)
I can bet that section of road will STAY very clean by the residents in Blairsville.........this could lead to an ugly dispute between counties.

I can now see the armed militia of N ga getting involved......the country boys who practiced shooting skills every week end....
stay tuned..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/12 - 11:44 am
Mountain folks

The last thing the mountain folks want is a bunch of citiefied people from Atlanta coming up to their area with news crews & fancy clothes.....telling them how to run their business....
Ole Zell lives in Young Harris just 3 miles away from Blairsville & we all remember his blast with Chris Matthews on tv...heh heh

oooh yeh..this will be interesting..:)

Smith case referred to Attorney General's office

A state probe into allegations former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith moonlighted for a hospitality company while drawing his Georgia State Patrol salary will be reviewed by the state attorney ...