Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HUGE RAVE TO Kris at Edwin Watts Golf for working with me to find the best driver for my swing. I appreciate your patience with me and knowledge of the game.

RAVE FOR Augusta-Richmond County mosquito control. I just wanted to take a moment to give thanks for the excellent service I have received from these guys for the past two years. I truly cannot express how much I appreciate them spraying my yard in an effort to keep these pesky insects to a tolerable level!

THIS MOM OF FIVE would like to thank Rhonda McKinney at the North Leg Road Salvation Army for being the kind, smiling angel that she was to me Monday afternoon. Sweet people like you are like pure gold! Thank you!

AS AN AUGUSTA NATIVE I have realized for years that no north and south through streets exist between Milledge Road and Highland Avenue due to Augusta Country Club and Augusta National golf courses. Please consider limited north-south traffic routes when making plans for any changes to Berckmans Road!

A RANT TO THE RCBOE: Furlough teachers nine days again while the CCBOE has none. Yet you open a worthless magnet school, keep parapros, keep instructional and grad coaches. Get ready for the mass exodus. This is the most ill-run BOE in the CSRA! Good luck with your part-time superintendent!

COLUMBIA COUNTY RESIDENTS need to be informed that the county has a leash law – “Code 14.6 Columbia County Restraint of Animals.” Anyone convicted of breaking this law can be fined up to $1,000. The fine is set by the judge if taken to court. People in this county are getting tired of cleaning up after dogs and cats that are not contained to owner’s property. If we wanted to clean up after pets, we would have our own. Any questions? Call Columbia County Animal Control.

RAVES TO Mr. Eugene Eubanks and 100 Black Men of Augusta. I attended the Black Tie Gala showcasing 36 area youths whom this organization takes pride in mentoring as the leaders of tomorrow. The gala was a spectacular event. I was proud to be present and look forward to being in attendance next year.

HOW MANY MORE “medals” is Obama gonna give out? Is he fishing for one of his own?

Jake
Jake 06/23/12 - 11:42 pm
Rave 1

So that's where Retired Army has been lately.

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 06:09 am
Names

How many times can you name a convention center.......what is going on in Augusta anyway.......don't yall have bigger problems??

I kinda like LLambs names for things.....funny LL....

Good morning to all troublemakers & good guys.......

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 06:11 am
Jobs

5 million health care jobs by 2020 regardless of obmacare..

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 06:16 am
About Taxing Cell Phone Towers

I notice that the county wants to tax cell phone towers at a value of $75,000. Usually property taxes are collected because buildings, homes and residents require schools, water, police protection and so on. These towers don't meet that criteria.

What if someone had a server in their home for some type of network or a website that brought in a thousand dollars a month? Would you tax them, too?

The cell tower structure is not a building, doesn't keep rainwater from soaking into the ground and nobody lives in it. All this does is make those of us who pay for our cell phones pay more. Another cotton pickin tax.

This is a whole other game when we now put a property tax on something on someone's property depending on the revenue the thing makes.

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 06:15 am
Georgia

I just read that we could increase our economy in Ga by 2 billion if each family spent $10 a week on locally grown food products--veggies....now THAT is something we can do....even if just 1/2 of us did this ...just think what a difference it would make...

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 06:19 am
Why not grow your own?

(Sounds like I'm talking about marijuana.) But just grow your own vegs and use them, yourself. Wouldn't that have the same effect on the economy?

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 06:22 am
Grow your own

Many already do that as you know....do you?
Some just don't have the land or time.....or know how....we don't have a lot of sunny spots.....we have trees in back & aren't allowed gradens in front....but we squezze in some tomato plants & a few "other" plants..:)(HERBS)

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 06:27 am
Freddie Sanders

Sanders has faith a Republican can win Richmond County sheriff race 7:58pm

This is a very good article....thanks AC....He is a Republican & is not afraid to say it!!

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 06:38 am
Bus monitor abuse

There is an article in the AJC today & it says the abuse the bus monitor went through is just the tip of the iceberg....DUHH
This abuse has long existed according to the article.....in todays world of online knowledge this happens .......I say have we lost our minds to put up with this nonesense by children....????
The way they provoke teachers are limited only by their imagination.....online comments & obscentities are common place....

Get a grip folks.....kids need DISCIPLINE!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 06:43 am
I mean we could just eat $2

I mean we could just eat $2 billion more a year.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/24/12 - 06:44 am
Driver

Wonder what brand of "Driver" ranter one bought??

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 06:47 am
Things are looking better for

Things are looking better for Sanders. The Democrats are going after each other hard and startling revelations are coming to me and will be breaking with the public soon enough I'm sure. Sanders or Godowns stands to profit from the turmoil. Let's hope Sanders wins and a real Republican can take the office.

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 06:57 am
RM

River you remind me of the guy in the book Shades of Grey....you like to tantalize & torture......

You didn't write the book ....did you...:)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 07:06 am
I could have written THAT

I could have written THAT book.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 07:07 am
From the guy's point of view,

From the guy's point of view, that is. LOL

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 07:15 am
Yeah, I grow vegs. Very small

Yeah, I grow vegs. Very small garden with tomatoes (12 plants) and other things I don't know the names of. Some kind of squash, egg plants, lettuce, watermelons. The squash thing grows on my pool fence and it's actually pretty. The tomato plants are also alongside the pool fence. It gives the pool a nice look.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/24/12 - 07:15 am
For those who might not

recognize RM's tongue poking his cheek:

Spending $10/ week on locally grown food puts money in the hands of Georgians, not farmers in Central America or California. Putting that $10 in the hands of individual citizens instead of corporate Burger King or McDonalds also puts it into the Georgia economy. (unless of course they turn around and order something from Amazon.)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 07:17 am
Isanotherday1

Well, if you consume the vegs yourself as I do, you will have that ten bucks to spend on other things. That's how I look at it. But we all agree it's a good thing.

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 07:19 am
anotherday

That is so easy for us to do....local produce is so healthy for us too....peaches-blueberries-squash-corn-peppers-& local eggs from chicks that get to roam & scratch.....my granmam raise all of that on Peach Orch rd near Lumpkin RD area...sooo good...plus blackberries....she made the BEST blackberry pie.....I'm day dreaming now....wish I could go back 1 more time & enjoy her company & food again..

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/24/12 - 07:36 am
Blackberry Pie

My grandmother made her pies in an enamel dishpan kind of thing. Of course, I as a small child saw it as being 10 inches deep and 3 feet wide; but it was big nonetheless.
When it was blackberry, she would strain the juice out of them through cheesecloth, because we didn't like the seeds. She made some outstanding peach and apple pies in that same pan.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/24/12 - 07:39 am
Wonder Why?

You hardly see wild blackberry or Plum trees growing around. Seems as a kid they were everywhere.

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 07:40 am
Same here

My granmom did the same thing anotherday.....strained the juice & used a big enamel pan....geez.....she had an old roller type washer on her back porch.....she saved all of her flour bags & etc........we would go to the A&P on Greene to get very few food staples....like coffee-sugar-flour.....she had her very own smoke house too......to hang meats (for those who don't know)
Good ole days......sigh....if only..she had more common sense than most..

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 07:43 am
Blackberry

JTF....The blackberry bushes grew on the fence on the edge of Peach Orch. Rd----haha funny to think of that now.....back then it was just a 2 lane rd.......but they were sooo juicy.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/24/12 - 07:47 am
River

I have a brown thumb, so don't have much luck at growing my own. Too, I have an aversion to picking, shucking, cleaning, blanching, and all that because as a kid we were made to do it. It was the only way we had food to eat. While my buddies were splashing around in the town pool, teasing the young girls and ogling the older ones, I was picking corn, butter beans, peas, and so on; then sitting out back under a tree shucking or shelling. If not that, it was picking apples and peaches, cutting them into slices and laying them out on pieces of tin in the hot sun to dry. Once dry on one side, you flipped each piece over, one by one. Then there was sugar cane to harvest in late summer, pecans to pick up late fall, pears to process, tomatoes to can in the summer, and hogs to kill when the weather was cold enough.

Nah, I ain't too interested in that when I can buy it already picked, processed, and ready to cook. I can buy a couple of bunches of collards, wash, cut, and cook in a couple of hours; same with squash and other veggies.

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 07:52 am
The man you are

All of that work anotherday......made you the man you are today.....so I would say it was worthwhile & they knew what they were doing with kids....

seenitB4 06/24/12 - 08:10 am
Woke up

I see that RM woke up countyman early this am....I knew he would do it as soon as he started posting about the tee center......ctyman seems to have radar about that place......
countyman...please tell us...are you 1 man or many as some say.....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/24/12 - 08:37 am
B4

"If I could change 1 thing today it would be THAT....raise kids like our grandparents did years ago."

If we could do that, It would solve 90% of all our problems we have today. Words to apply*** Morality, Respect, Work, Education, Want-a-bees, Government, Freedom, Crime, Love for American Culture, Human Pride and many many more. We just may be having an intelligent President!

dstewartsr
20393
dstewartsr 06/24/12 - 09:02 am
Government at work:

Grieving mother outraged after being charged $50 to clean up her son's BLOOD from highway where he was struck and killed by drunken driver. Loretta Robinson, of South Carolina, said not only had she lost her oldest son in the wreck caused by a drunken driver who is an illegal immigrant, but she had been forced to pay for the cleanup of the crash site.

Wonder if the illegal, who looks like a teenager, would be covered by Obama's Amnesty Plan.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/24/12 - 09:15 am
Isanother, nice remembrance.

Isanother, nice remembrance. JTF, I have two plum trees in my yard and blackberries down by the river in the woods. Yeah, I remember blackberry pie.

SeenIt, yep, but defending the TEE center is a tough thing to do with all its trouble and few events scheduled. I just think what we could have done with all that money. We seriously could have changed the face of downtown.

Y'all have a nice day. I'm grilling nice greasy ribs, swimming and getting liquored up a little. Enjoy the beautiful South. We are blessed. I lived up north too long. I want to be buried in grits.

happychimer
19503
happychimer 06/24/12 - 09:22 am
No. Obama's plan does not

No. Obama's plan does not cover criminals.

MCG student, class buy kids' books for Ferguson library

Three weeks after the Missouri grand jury indictment verdict, Ashee Nicole Sharer created a Ferguson wish list on BarnesAndNoble.com, urging classmates to purchase a book for the Ferguson ...