Home   |   News   |   Sports   |   Business   |   Opinion   |   Things to Do   |   Blogs   |   Photos   |   Video

Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WHEN THE CITY TAKES on condemning property to then have it on a list to be torn down, why don’t they go ahead and get the prisoners to cut the grass in the meantime? Or at least around the post offices or other state, city or government offices?

I MISS MATT MONROE and John Lynn at WJBF!

AS A STUDENT OF Au­gus­ta State University, I am proud of how they respect their students by informing them of cancellations and/or information regarding tests via e-mail and/or our contact numbers to include landline and cell phone. They will also find a substitute to teach a class if they can if the professor was detained or sick so the students would not have to go back home. With that being said, Au­gus­ta Tech doesn’t share the same courtesy toward students.

A RAVE TO THE security at the gates at Fort Gor­don. I have seen time after time when some loud clown deserved a head-to-toe nightstick massage and Taser tickle, but they remained professional and always welcome everyone to the post with a smile.

ONCE AGAIN, college (or pro) athletes are involved in crime, a deadly shooting in Auburn with some deaths. Officials say it had nothing to do with them being athletes, but with this happening so often, can it be complete coincidence?

I HAVE BEEN GOING to the GHSU/MCG for the past few months and I am disgusted at the attire that is being worn by many of the female student body. There has to be a dress code policy in place – because I have noticed that the majority of them are wearing shorts so short their butts are hanging out. Are these students in training to becoming medical professionals or are they in training to become strip club dancers?

I CAN’T BELIEVE the number of people that intentionally run red lights.

SAM ARRINGTON’S LETTER “Illegal aliens lack pride in U.S.” was the best I have ever read in my 50 years of reading your paper. Thank you for printing it, and thank him for writing it.

WHY DO PEOPLE park in the handicap parking spots without handicapped tags?

IN THE SPACE OF a couple of hours, I had excellent customer service from Stanton Opti­cal, The Limited and Se­phora. I really appreciated it, but I think the world is about to end.

bubbasauce
20573
bubbasauce 06/22/12 - 06:34 pm
Seems to me these days yellow

Seems to me these days yellow means speed through red light.How about people too lazy to even use a turn signal?How about driving in the left lane? Are people that idiotic these days? By golly, yes they are!

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/22/12 - 09:16 pm
"WHY DO PEOPLE

...park in the handicap parking spots without handicapped tags?"

I dunno; why do most of the 'handicapped' seem to be in better health -- at least more agile -- than I am? I watched two, whose combined weight was more than a stripped down Mini Cooper, dash for the remaining electric scooter at the Grovetown Wallyworld.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/22/12 - 09:43 pm
Why do people

park in handicapped spots? Maybe they think they are entitled to it, handicapped or not - or maybe in some other way???Probably have those free phones too.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/22/12 - 09:55 pm
Nostalgia

@ ranter # 2 — I miss Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese broadcasting the Saturday afternoon game of the week on CBS TV.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/22/12 - 10:32 pm
Let's get past this naming

Let's get past this naming controversy for the new Augusta University and start thinking about a football team. Heck, I'll even be the long snapper if necessary. It can't be that hard.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/22/12 - 11:19 pm
Cigarette Butt Bridge

Let's pick this story up again because ItsAnotherDay made an interesting comment late yesterday:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I picked up a copy of USA Today at the hotel earlier this week (June 19) and found a common thread in these two articles. The first one (page 1A, no less) was bemoaning the horrifying problem of smokers throwing their cigarette butts on the ground:

Contrary to what many smokers may think, cigarette filters are not biodegradable: They are made with a plastic that can leach their toxic chemicals into the environment. Today, Eco-Tech Displays is starting a company, Cigarette Butt Litter Dream Recycling, to transform butts into products such as jewelry, vases and guitar picks.

Now the article was written by Wendy Koch, and I'm afraid she's overreaching with her term "their toxic chemicals." Let's face it, the FDA has approved the plastic in the filters as being safe for human health, so "toxic" is a bit over the top.

Anyway, the second story (on page 1D), written by Susan Wloszczyna, was about Woody Allen's latest film, To Rome With Love:

Does he worry that his films won't be remembered? “I don't care about my work lasting. I would like to last. They can turn my movies into guitar picks. Nothing lasts. Nothing at all. Not even the sun.

What is this sudden fascination with guitar picks? I play guitar, and now must I worry whether the picks I buy are made from virgin or from recycled plastic? Will the recycled picks play as sweetly as the virgin ones? Will they be as accurate?

Do you remember the object we used to use for a person who was a little slow on the uptake, and thus ripe to become the butt of a joke or was easily to manipulate? We called that person a hockey puck. Perhaps the new term for such a person will become guitar pick.

Regarding my comment that author Wendy Koch was overreaching in calling the chemicals leached from the plastic filters "toxic," ItsAnotherDay posted:

I could be wrong, but I take that to mean that the chemicals trapped in the filter from the smoke, i.e. concentrated nicotine, tar, etc.

That would be an instant and easy inference from the way Ms. Koch wrote the article, but it cannot be true. The chemicals trapped by the filter may be toxic to human health, but they are not toxic in the environment. They are natural plant chemicals, and they readily biodegrade in the environment. Only the synthetic petrochemicals in the plastic would be the ones of concern. They may or may not be detrimental, but they would not be toxic because the FDA approved them for human consumption.

Jake
Jake 06/22/12 - 11:38 pm
Hey, LL

I miss that also. I remember watching the Phillies play the Giants in the early 60's on the tube. One of the sponsors was the Phillie tobacco products. The famous "Phillie Cheroot" Back in the days of Willie Mays and Robin Roberts.

Jake
Jake 06/22/12 - 11:46 pm
Yum, Yum

And what flavors will these cigarette butts come in? I am thinking that beef teriyaki will probably nail it down. I want to be involved in the marketing of said product.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/23/12 - 06:17 am
Strip Club Dancers and Medical Professionals

About that rant, what's wrong with being a medical professional AND a strip club dancer? It might make medicine a little more interesting. In every patient's room put one of those poles so the nurses can perform their dance. They come in, give you a pill and then do their thing for your enjoyment. Insurance will cover it under psychological nursing enhancement or something. I may even check in to get some part of my body that I don't need removed just for the entertainment.

justthefacts
20464
justthefacts 06/23/12 - 06:37 am
Athletes

There is probably a study somewhere, but it's doubtful that Athletes are involved in trouble anymore than then the regular school populous. Probably less.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/23/12 - 07:15 am
Auburn Players

The former and current Auburn players who were killed were not involved in illegal activity. They were at a party and victims. It's wrong to imply otherwise. It's actually a sad thing.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/23/12 - 08:08 am
Good Morning America, AC Friends & Uppers and Downers

I will comment @9 only.
When I see this, I am holding myself back from letting the air out of one of it's tire and see this person try an defend herself/himself as it tries to get it pumped up.
The only excuse it could come up with would be I Have A Handicap Brain

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/12 - 08:36 am
When golf takes over the brain

This am I told GOB that Sandusky was found GUILTY....he said who is Sandusky.......
His mind has been on golf....new golf bag...new unbreakable tees....gee it must be nice to live in never land.......I think I might try it & get away from all of this crazy-depressing sadneess........but cgee said he would miss me.......so I'm coming here for him..:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/12 - 08:43 am
Rubio

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/12 - 10:20 am
Great Parks

There is an article in the AJC about parks....it says Great parks add to a great city......so I'm giving yall some info. in case you might be interested ..

I agree......more parks in South Augusta would be a good thing too.....just saying the Regency Mall could become a tourist attraction with the right planning.....countyman help me with this...... one day yall will see.....:)

happychimer
happychimer 06/23/12 - 10:25 am
I drove up to a 4-way stop

I drove up to a 4-way stop yesterday,and it was my turn to go. I was the only one at the 4 stop signs. I saw an SUV coming toward me, and it looked like he was speeding. I waited to see if he was going to stop, but he just whizzed on through the stop sign, going at least 50 or 60 in a 35 mile/hr zone.

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/23/12 - 10:56 am
Handicapped Parking - LACK of Enforcement Rant next to last.....

Because the cops do NOT enforce the law in either State!

cheapster505
cheapster505 06/23/12 - 11:47 am
Little lamb

I started playing guitar at 15 still playing into my 60 sall this time tought it was "The music"only to find out Addicted to the PICK ?always said it's not the strings that get you it's the DS^%$ PICK

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/23/12 - 01:29 pm
Observations from the road

Executive Privilege... A means by which politicians can do illegal things and get away with it.

It seems to me that if the documents asked for by Congress would prove innocence, there would be a rush to produce them. I know somebody will point out the fact that Bush used executive privilege. Well we all know he was trying to hide facts. What makes you think the Emperor is any different? Go ahead and tell me again how transparent his administration is.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/23/12 - 03:27 pm
little lamb

his is the cigarette butt toxin argument I've seen before: http://www.longwood.edu/cleanva/ciglitterarticle.htm

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/23/12 - 03:30 pm
"Rubio Does Rubio have a

"Rubio
Does Rubio have a chance to be our next VPres.......I'm trying to warm up to him...but he seems sooo young & brash.....what do yall think?"

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/23/12 - 03:33 pm
"In every patient's room put

"In every patient's room put one of those poles so the nurses can perform their dance."

Ummmmmm... I don't think so. The few times I've needed medical care, the nurses were not something I wanted to see nekkid.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/23/12 - 03:39 pm
@ CGEE

To see a car pull into a Handicap parking area with a DV license plate or a Handicap sticker hanging from the mirror and this perfectly shape 20's year old jumps out of the car and makes a record breaking dash to the main entrance, really, really make me P'ed off and my jaws clench my false teeth."

You and me both brother! I wish ColCo would hire me as a bike cop, doing nothing but patrolling parking lots, writing citations for all of these lazy, low rent, lazy, sorry, lazy, no count, lazy people who park in fire lanes, handicap spots, etc. because they are too dad blame lazy to park in a regular spot and walk their obese gluteus maximus' into the store.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/23/12 - 03:42 pm
While I am on the soapbox

Don't you find it interesting that they are too sorry to park another 50 feet away, but don't have a problem walking around the 3 acres of Walmart or Home Depot?

harley_52
harley_52 06/23/12 - 04:38 pm
"I think he is a rising star.

"I think he is a rising star. I've liked him from the first speech I heard. A natural leader."

I agree completely and I like him more every time I hear him speak, or see him interviewed.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/12 - 05:13 pm
Thanks

Thanks harley & anotherday....I have more confidence now since you 2 like him...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/12 - 05:18 pm
Stirred me

This is a little something that excited me while reading shades of grey.....:)

harley_52
harley_52 06/23/12 - 06:41 pm
"The Gay Pride Festival is

"The Gay Pride Festival is the lowest day of the year for Augusta."

If it isn't, it's surely in the top three.

Trouble
Trouble 06/23/12 - 07:06 pm
gay pride festival

i will never understand why some people are so threatened by gay people, they are not going to rub off on you. if you dont like it, dont attend, there are a lot of festivals that augusta has that i dont care for, so i dont attend them, i do not get mad at the paper for carrying coverage of them, or talk bad about them, i just choose not to attend and go on with my life. stop obsessing over this and move on with your life, it is their life, let them live it, they are not asking you to participate.

harley_52
harley_52 06/23/12 - 07:42 pm
I will never understand why

I will never understand why some people feel compelled to give advice to people who haven't asked for it.

I do, however, understand when those people who've been given that unsolicited advice choose to place as much value on it as they have paid for it.

New report on Thomson plane crash

The National Transportation Safety Board released a new report Wednesday with details surrounding a Thomson, Ga., plane crash in February 2013 that killed five members of The Vein Guys staff.