Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I SAY LET ALL UMCs in the Augusta District pitch in and get them out of the red. You see more news printed in the Advocate about Paine College than any other church or organization.

HAVE PEOPLE IN Augusta forgotten that they spent all that money on the river back in the ‘80s? People in Augusta don’t support stuff like that. Why waste taxpayers’ money? Don’t build anything else down there that will go into dilapidation like the riverfront has.

THE COMMENTS BEING made about Robert Moody shooting his son: He is a good man who came from a good family. Nothing was more important to Robert and his wife than their home and their family. For those who say you are Christian, you know that God is the only one who can judge. And for the rest of you who have something smart to say about this couple who are going through hell right now, maybe you need to sweep around your back porch and leave theirs alone.

I REALLY ENJOYED THE article about the restoration of the flag pole at ASU. It was well written, but I don’t think 23 “carrots” gilded that knob.

RAVE FOR AIKEN COUNTY police and the Good Samaritans who helped me when my purse was stolen. Due to their quick response I was able to retrieve my purse and my belongings. I want to thank everyone who helped me.

WHAT A BLESSING to have people like the two who responded speedily to my call to 911. A thousand thanks for their compassionate help.

IF MY 15-YEAR-OLD daughter wanted to leave the house until 1 in the morning to go to a party, I would have stopped her also. Creflo Dollar should not have gone to jail. That is part of the problem with these young children now. They can call 911 and the parents can be picked up for trying to make sure their children are doing the right thing. I agree children should not be hit with a hand or fist. Get a belt and beat their butts. That is what the majority of them need now.

WHY DO PEOPLE IN Columbia County drive 30 miles round trip to North Augusta to save a nickel on gas?

RANT TO THOSE who text while driving. You are as dangerous as a person driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and your fine and punishment should be comparable.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/12 - 02:29 pm
Question For Scott Peebles

I've heard lots of flak both ways about Scott Peebles' support of Obama. Some say it's not true. I'd like to ask, right now, once and for all, for anyone who can speak for Peebles or him, since he supported Obama in the past from his statements, does he or doesn't he support Obama now? Clear this up, once and for all.

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 04:11 pm
Sheriff

What does supporting Obama have to do with running for sheriff?
When you buy groceries do you ask the cashier if they are a Obama supporter or not? If the answer yes, do you take your items to a different line? I don't understand the reasoning here, someone enlighten me.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/21/12 - 04:21 pm
Jake

IF Scott Peebles supports King SMNCICBHO...common sense will tell you that all Latinos and illegals will never be arrested, Black on Black crime will be off limits and the only people arrested will be anybody driving Mercedes, Lamborghini, Porsche or anybody making over $250,000.00 per year.

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 04:31 pm
Allhans...

Regarding Mrs. Klein...

You said "The GOOD Guy wins again!!!"

You know I have the greatest respect for your opinion, but in this case I've got to present another view.

I'm sure Mrs. Klein is a very nice woman and I'm very sorry she got all the abuse she endured. It's not a lack of compassion that brings me to this conclusion, but.....she was a TOTAL FAILURE at the job she asked for and was hired to do.

Some people are capable of leading, and others aren't. Some people have the personality of a door mat, and have no business placing themselves in a position they are not capable of handling. She's at fault for what happened to her and so are those who gave her the job.

The little, rude, insulting teenage punks who took advantage of the poor old lady deserve to be punished for what they did, but she is equally to blame for accepting a job she was not capable of doing.

I feel sorry for her, but not for the same reasons many others do.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/12 - 04:31 pm
"Sarge, your 9:35 was

"Sarge, your 9:35 was hilarious. Loved it."

Thank you, Riverman! Just so happened to have struck me in just the right way to come out "armed."

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 04:36 pm
Willow Bailey....

I've spent a fair amount of time in Chicago over the years and it's a great city in many ways.

In other ways, it's statistically more dangerous than Kabul, Afghanistan.

Keep your head down....I want you to return safely.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/12 - 04:40 pm
Willow, Chicago has many

Willow, Chicago has many sides. Most folks only see the good stuff, but there is a dark cloud over parts of the "Windy City." Unfortunately, I've seen too much of that cloud. However, I choose to remember a visit I made with my Brother and parents, way back in the 1940s. I was just a kid, but totally impressed with the museum and the huge aquarium. Later in 1952 or 1951, my Brother and I were lucky enough to have been taken to see "Bill Haley and the Comets," in person, whose first song was "Rock Around the Clock." Our Uncle who took us said; "That song will never be popular." Little did he know.......

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 04:42 pm
Obama

CG, I think you are painting people who support Obama with a pretty wide brush. My wife supports him and she is all for arresting people who break the law no matter their color or ethnicity. She also works with many people who make way over the amount you listed and considers them as collegues even though she is not in that income bracket. I am guessing your comment was "tongue in cheek" and not factual.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/12 - 04:47 pm
Your 3:02 "nailed it,"

Your 3:02 "nailed it," Riverman1! I've often wondered what lulls folks into believing we would be safe with all the Military cuts! Talk about a "Red Dawn," we would surely have one. Just remember, when our Military is gutted, you can find me out at Cobalt Reservoir, manning a machine gun emplacement!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/21/12 - 04:54 pm
Back in Augusta

I see Jake is on line at this time. My spouse and I just got back from a visit to the San Francisco Bay area and had a wonderful time. The highlight of our trip was to meet Jake. He is warm, witty, intelligent, and has a wonderful family as he tells it. Thanks, Jake, for offering us tips on places to sightsee, for buying me a beer, but most of all for sharing your life's story and your love for your family.

I'm sure they are enjoying their stay in Ireland.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/12 - 05:06 pm
I missed the pleasure of

I missed the pleasure of meeting Jake when he came to Augusta last time, but everyone I know that knows him, would say you're spot on, Little Lamb!

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 05:20 pm
Thanks

Like I posted the day when I met Little Lamb and his charming wife, they are beautiful people in every sense of the word. I am looking forward to another trip to Augusta in either the fall or for sure in late March when my son gets married and hope to connect with them and others as well, including you Sarge and hopefully CG. I have not met a person that is on the AC site that I have not had the utmost respect and admiration for. The fact that people on here will actually take the initiative to be face to face with fellow posters is an admirable thing indeed.

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/21/12 - 05:22 pm
The point is bragging about

The point is bragging about being at the Obama inauguration seems to be becoming a TRIPLE edged sword for Peebles ... if he answers he is an Obama supporter then one group he has supporting him (especially financially) is not going to be happy, if he says he doesn't support Obama then he's a fake Democrat and another group is not going to be happy, and if he doesn't answer then that leaves a big ole question mark for people to come to their own conclusion and that hurts too.

Another point is his father was a financial supporter of the Republican Campaign Committee in 2000. For what that's worth.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/21/12 - 05:33 pm
Sins

The sins of the father are not visited upon the son, Khan.

fftaz71
fftaz71 06/21/12 - 07:09 pm
the bus monitor

That incident happened in my hometown, sadly, and I have family that work with this lady. First off Harley...shes 68 yrs old. She said herself that she didnt hear all that was being said, and didnt realize just how bad these kids were until she saw the video online. Be sure to realize SHE wasnt the one who persued this either. As far as discipline goes, it was their last day of school so what COULD she do? In NY they dont suspend people into the next school year like they do down here in the south. I think she just wants them to recognize that what they did was wrong and learn from the experience because they are middle schoolers. She is better than I am in that respect. I wouldve liked to have reached out and touched someone...although that would also mean Id be in jail. I feel sorry for her because they told her that her family should kill themselves to get away from her. Her son committed suicide 10 yrs ago. She gets paid 15k a year to be on that bus. That is it. She was sitting in the back of the bus, and apparently the driver did not hear what was being said. Sometimes its easier to just try to ignore it, which is what I believe she said she was trying to do. Blaming the victim is absolutely wrong...she did nothing because there was nothing she COULD do on that bus and she did nothing to deserve what was said to her. The whole incident should be opening our collective eyes as to what is going on with these kids today. We need to give the parents back the power to discipline effectively (time out works for some, not all) and encourage parents to teach their children how to behave appropriately towards their elders- in and out of the parents presence.

fftaz71
fftaz71 06/21/12 - 07:19 pm
bus monitor again

Hit send too soon...
Btw Harley, she worked as a driver for something like 20 yrs. This isnt a case of not being capable of doing the job she was hired to do.

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 07:22 pm
As I said earlier, I feel

As I said earlier, I feel very sorry for Mrs. Klein and the snotty little teenage punks who verbally abused her should be punished.

Still, I stand by my assessment. She had no business being a bus monitor if she was so entirely unprepared to handle the unruly children.

Should a 90 pound weakling apply for and be hired to be a bodyguard? Should one who failed Accounting 101 apply for and be hired as a corporate CFO?

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 07:24 pm
@fftaz71

I have not seen the video of the taunting or whatever it is called, I don't like to view unpleasant behaviour. I surely would not blame her just like I would not blame a innocent driver in an accident just because they happen to be driving and it is a risk every time you get behind the wheel. Some folks don't have empathy.

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/21/12 - 07:31 pm
LL my reference was/is the

LL my reference was/is the fact that most people follow along that same political lines as the household they were raised in ... again notice the "most" in that sentence.

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 07:31 pm
BTW

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/12 - 07:37 pm
Little Lamb said, "The sins

Little Lamb said, "The sins of the father are not visited upon the son, Khan."

Heh, heh, heh, Peebles better hope not.

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 07:39 pm
Jake....

"Some folks don't have empathy."

I suppose that's one way to look at it. I'm not sure what you think "having empathy" means.

You ask...."Just what is the protocol for handling unruly children? Is it a 911 thing? Even if you had a 400lb gorilla as monitor would it make any difference? I don't think you are allowed to physically do anything with these brats."

One thing you can do is throw up your hands and conclude it's an unsolvable problem. That all that can be done is to just "let kids be kids."

Call me crazy, but I think adults (particularly parents and others in positions of authority) have the responsibility to teach kids what's right and force them (yes, I said "force") to do the right thing, or suffer some very unpleasant results.

If that doesn't happen (and it often doesn't) then you end up with the situation like this one with Mrs. Klein.

Are the children in charge, or are the adults?

KSL
KSL 06/21/12 - 07:40 pm
I have had the pleasure of

I have had the pleasure of knowing Jake since 2007. And have met his wife, oldest son and daughter. Great people.

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 08:15 pm
Jake Said...

"I was taught at an early age to be respectful to my elders. The old man made sure of that. With me it was always "yes ma'am or yes sir" to every adult I had contact with."

Apparently, unlike you, your father wasn't befuddled by the mind-numbing issue of "what is the protocol for handling unruly children? Is it a 911 thing? "

You seem to have turned out quite well and you seem to recognize your father's role in that process.

Did he "call 911?"

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 08:18 pm
Harley

I hear you loud and clear and I agree about parents having the responsibility to teach their kids and forcing them to do the right thing. However, parents were not on this bus (I think) and the kids doing the taunting were not being obedient at all. So what do you do then? Does the bus monitor have any recourse in these situations? If not then the school board shoud have some sort of policy or plan of action. I would not last a day in her position. I would be arrested for assault for slapping down these hooligans.

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 08:21 pm

No, he called "leather belt" which is something you are not allowed to do on a school bus of other people's children.

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 08:28 pm
KSL

I have also been blessed to know you and your husband as well during this period. You and fd (is he now fedex?) honored me many years ago and it will never be forgotten. Some of the ones we have met over the years are no longer with us like Charles & usafvet. In the end it is not about agreeing with what the other poster is saying but it is about establishing a relationship, even if it is fleeting at times. It has all been good over the years and there are others on here I would like to see at some point. Even Harley who drives me nuts at times but I like the way he tends to drive everyone nuts.

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 08:28 pm
Jake, Did your dad deal with

Jake,

Did your dad deal with your bad behavior solely by "slapping you down?"

There really are a range of reactions between ignoring the behavior (as the bus monitor did) and "slapping them down."

Stand there, nose to nose, with your most serious adult "I mean business" look on your face and explain to them why they can't behave the way they are behaving. Assure them (with that same look on your face) that you are going to inform both their parents and the school officials of their behavior. Tell them you intend to have them barred from the bus. Make them believers you mean what you say and that they cannot behave like that in your presence.

I wasn't there. I guarantee you that if I had been, those things would NOT have happened. I'm not bragging, I'm speaking from experience.

When adults aren't capable of being adults in the presence of misbehaving children society is lost. We're well on the way.......

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 08:33 pm
Jake....

"Even Harley who drives me nuts at times but I like the way he tends to drive everyone nuts."

I'm not sure everyone has as much a problem with my views as you do. I express my views as honestly and politely as I know how. I think that's what we're after in here. I'm not bothered by folks disagreeing with my views, in fact I appreciate it.

If I "drive you nuts," rest assured it's intended as a good natured discussion of different viewpoints.....at least from my side.

harley_52
harley_52 06/21/12 - 08:40 pm
Jake....

I'm going to assume you have great kid(s).

Did you beat your child(ren) with a belt, or find another way to get your point across?