Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I SAY LET ALL UMCs in the Augusta District pitch in and get them out of the red. You see more news printed in the Advocate about Paine College than any other church or organization.

HAVE PEOPLE IN Augusta forgotten that they spent all that money on the river back in the ‘80s? People in Augusta don’t support stuff like that. Why waste taxpayers’ money? Don’t build anything else down there that will go into dilapidation like the riverfront has.

THE COMMENTS BEING made about Robert Moody shooting his son: He is a good man who came from a good family. Nothing was more important to Robert and his wife than their home and their family. For those who say you are Christian, you know that God is the only one who can judge. And for the rest of you who have something smart to say about this couple who are going through hell right now, maybe you need to sweep around your back porch and leave theirs alone.

I REALLY ENJOYED THE article about the restoration of the flag pole at ASU. It was well written, but I don’t think 23 “carrots” gilded that knob.

RAVE FOR AIKEN COUNTY police and the Good Samaritans who helped me when my purse was stolen. Due to their quick response I was able to retrieve my purse and my belongings. I want to thank everyone who helped me.

WHAT A BLESSING to have people like the two who responded speedily to my call to 911. A thousand thanks for their compassionate help.

IF MY 15-YEAR-OLD daughter wanted to leave the house until 1 in the morning to go to a party, I would have stopped her also. Creflo Dollar should not have gone to jail. That is part of the problem with these young children now. They can call 911 and the parents can be picked up for trying to make sure their children are doing the right thing. I agree children should not be hit with a hand or fist. Get a belt and beat their butts. That is what the majority of them need now.

WHY DO PEOPLE IN Columbia County drive 30 miles round trip to North Augusta to save a nickel on gas?

RANT TO THOSE who text while driving. You are as dangerous as a person driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and your fine and punishment should be comparable.

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 12:21 am
Texting?

Is texting while driving illegal in Georgia? If it isn't it should be. So should talking on the cell phone while driving. Traveling the roadways everyday indicates to me that folks need to divert all of their attention to the task at hand, which is being able to move quickly and keep the traffic flowing. How many times have you been held up by someone on a cell phone? More times than I can count.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/21/12 - 05:05 am
Good Morning Awguster. A

Good Morning Awguster.

A follow up to yesterdays observations. I may not have much wealth as far as money is concerned, but with friends like the ones I mentioned I am one of the wealthiest men on earth. Love you guys.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/21/12 - 05:09 am
UH, could it be to save a

UH, could it be to save a nickle on gas? I know that on a 20 gallon purchase you would only save a dollar. It doesn't make much sense, or cents. But there are those who live in GA and work in SC. Make sense for them to purchase in SC while they are there.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/12 - 05:11 am
RK, I had to attend one of

RK, I had to attend one of those touchy, feel good classes the other day. The guy teaching it was some kind of social worker, PhD, and he made a good point. He said he used to work with hospice patients and not a one of them spoke of any regrets except with their relationships. That's what it all comes down to in the end.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/12 - 05:20 am
Love ya back RKill

Yeh...we are lucky to have great friends on here....smart----wise---funny..& sooo entertaining..:):)

We seldom get mad anymore with each other....do yall notice THAT!!

This is something that made my blood boil though....kids on a bus tormenting this older woman....what the $%#@ has happened in todays world for crap like this to happen....

good am CSRA!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/12 - 05:23 am
Sorry CGee

I found out after the fact that the email about atm cards in reverse didn't work......mybe soon though.....it could save a life...since my neighbor programs the things ...I might just ask him about this.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/21/12 - 05:38 am
When I think about it

The rant is right...

That is the problem.......some need a spanking & the parents are afraid to discipline.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/21/12 - 06:16 am
Good Morning America, AC Friends and You too TSDs.

A quick pop in for the day.

A few get your chops into on the R&R's today.

You are 100% right Jake.

RK - I would have a "Reserve" with you any day. A good person to have as a Friend.

B4 - No apology necessary, I should have realized that If it is too good to be true, tan't True!

Rm - Hit them hard today.

CABoatright
CABoatright 06/21/12 - 07:33 am
I know Mr Moody & yes, he is

I know Mr Moody & yes, he is a quiet, thoughtful, gentle soul. He & his family need our support & prayers right now. They have mine.

David Parker
David Parker 06/21/12 - 09:01 am
If I stand here, I can see

If I stand here, I can see the Little Red Haired girl when she comes out of her house... Of course, if she sees me peeking around this tree, she'll think I'm the dumbest person in the world... But if I don't peek around the tree, I'll never see her... Which means I probably AM the dumbest person in the world... which explains why I'm standing in a batch of poison oak.

C Brown

allhans
allhans 06/21/12 - 09:04 am
I hear that a blogger has

I hear that a blogger has raised $125,000 for Karen Klein, the school bus monitor that was bullied by the riders, to send her on a vacation. (the link above by seenit)
The GOOD Guy wins again!!!

iLove
iLove 06/21/12 - 10:52 am
Sanford Police Chief FIRED For Mishandling Trayvon Martin Case

taken from huffpost.com
"When he attempted to resign and his resignation was not accepted, some Z supporters took this as the city commission having confidence in him.

I stated that his resignation was not accepted so that the city leaders could fire him, and that when he is fired he would not be eligible for certain benefits, unlike if he was allowed to resign.

Glad I was right. He had a hand in this. When Serino, his lead homicide detective wanted to arrest Z, and Lee stepped in, he did something most Chiefs never do. He overstepped his bounds.

Now DA Wolfinger should be fired too."

scratchthesurface
scratchthesurface 06/21/12 - 09:10 am
In my most humble opinion

People over the age of 60, that wear those star trek shades while driving and usually drive a buick ....are more dangerous on the road than ppl texting while driving or weapons of mass destruction. Please OLD ppl stay home. Call the yellow cab company or catch the city bus...

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/21/12 - 09:31 am
Gas

Columbia County residents driving 30 miles for gas in South Carolina??? I'd be willing to wager that ALOT of them work close to the state line, so South Carolina is not far away. I know I do, and it's rarely 5 cents, more like 15-20 cents cheaper in Carolina. Go after work, get on I-20, and head home. No brainer.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/12 - 09:35 am
People over the age of 60,

People over the age of 60, that wear those star trek shades while driving and usually drive a Buick... are people like me! I'm over 70, and will compare my driving skills with anyone; I wear prescription shades, clipped to my bi-focals, a ball cap with a 1st Cavalry emblem on it, I don't text, and, I carry a licensed hand-gun!

I dare say "scratchthesurface" will feel the same when he/she becomes a senior citizen. Of course, by that time, he/she may have been taken out by a rambunctious younger driver!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/12 - 09:39 am
"scratchthesurface" comment

"scratchthesurface" comment must have been a wee bit over the top for our AC monitors! Sorry folks, I spoke too soon! I should have realized that "flaming" senior drivers wouldn't be allowed.

You have my permission to remove my 9:35 if you feel it's inappropriate....heh, heh, heh!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/21/12 - 09:42 am
Driving out of the way for

Driving out of the way for cheap gas is an effort in futility. By the time one makes the round trip, the savings just pooted out your exhaust pipe!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/21/12 - 09:55 am
Good Morning from Chicago!

Good Morning from Chicago! What a great. city. Friendly people, beautiful old architecture, delicious food, great shopping, museums, the Navy Pier on Lake Michigan. So much to see and do.

Jake
Jake 06/21/12 - 10:11 am
Chicago

I have always wanted to go there, heard it is nice. Enjoy your stay, Willow, and let us know what you think of the place. When I think of Chicago I think of the blues, 2120 S.Michigan Ave, Chess records.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/21/12 - 10:38 am
Chicago

Willow, be glad it's not January!! Have fun.

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/21/12 - 11:20 am
Last Rant about texting while driving

so TRUE!!!!!!!!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/21/12 - 11:42 am
Chicago

Chicago may be a great place if you are a tourist. But I hate it driving this truck through there. But I have met some really friendly folk there.

happychimer
happychimer 06/21/12 - 11:45 am
I have my cell phone on

I have my cell phone on speaker when I talk while driving. I lay the phone down and talk as if the person is in the car with me. I see a lot of people driving with a phone stuck to their ears. It seems as if some can't drive unless they have a phone to their ear. Those phones don't have speakers?

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/21/12 - 11:46 am
Texting and driving

But some people are multitaskers. They can text and crash at the same time.

happychimer
happychimer 06/21/12 - 11:50 am
RK you got that right

RK you got that right

confusedchik
confusedchik 06/21/12 - 01:05 pm
Mr. Moody

Mr. Moody was a very nice and polite person, I have seen him everyday at work. If you dont know him or even have any idea about him or his his family quit judging. To protect other members of your family you sometime have to take extreme actions. So get off your high horse and just pray for the family and for Robert to get better.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/21/12 - 01:45 pm
SeenitB4,

We adults ought to be ashamed of ourselves for failing to change state laws which preclude our rearing our children and grandchildren in the ways of Wisdom and Respect.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/12 - 02:41 pm
Sarge, your 9:35 was

Sarge, your 9:35 was hilarious. Loved it.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/21/12 - 03:02 pm
Automatic Budget Cuts for Military

As the automatic budget cuts for the military start to take effect, maybe it’s time we announced to the world the changes so everyone, including us, would be safer.

Let’s tell them since our Army has been cut so drastically, we don’t have the means to fight nice wars anymore where we build power plants, schools and hospitals as we take control of territory.

Tell the world, from now on, all we can afford to do is obliterate areas until it is like a Sarasota Florida, white sand beach, where the cities used to be. Let’s all be honest and on the same page as to how America will fight from now on. Best we all understand.