Bowers eliminated on 'The Bachelorette' but says he's no villain

Columbia County’s Ryan Bowers didn’t get the girl on ABC’s The Bachelorette on Monday night and now wants people to know that he’s not the villain the show made him out to be.

Back | Next
Ryan Bowers, 31, of Columbia County, appeared on six episodes of the reality show The Bachelorette, competing to win the heart of Emily Maynard.   EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF
EMILY ROSE BENNETT/STAFF

“They’re building entertainment for the show, so they build characters out of you,” said Bowers, who was eliminated from the show. “If there’s any regrets, it’s maybe that I was so trusting to be able to really open up and talk about things. It’s a bit hurtful when somebody takes your words and uses them the wrong way.”

Bowers, the owner of AthElite Sports Training Academy in Evans, appeared on six episodes of the reality show as one of 25 young men competing to win the heart of bachelorette Emily Maynard. He was one of seven men remaining in the house, he said.

“There’s so many other people who really know me that have defended me,” Bowers said. “I don’t think there’s anybody who really knows me that has come out and said anything negative because they know my intentions for the things that I say and the things that I do.”

He said several men from the show called him Monday to apologize for how things they said came out.

Bowers said it was “very shocking” that he was eliminated so soon.

He said that Maynard should have given him more time because she admitted she wasn’t sure she had made the right decision.

“But I think she was right that we were not compatible for each other,” he said. “That doesn’t mean two people aren’t good people. She’s a good person, and I am. We can appreciate each other, just not as husband and wife.”

He said they had a good time on their last date but doesn’t think their relationship could have lasted.

“I just think that we had real different views and opinions on things,” Bowers said. “I’m a lot more playful than she is on stuff, so she didn’t know how to take some things that I was saying. To her credit, she doesn’t really get to know me to understand why I say what I say, and that’s part of the process, accelerating dating. Would it have been smarter for me to hold back on things? Yes.

“But the goal was not to win for me. The goal was more or less to find out if we were compatible with one another, and I found out that we were not.”

WIN A DINNER WITH RYAN

Starting at 7 a.m. June 30, registration opens to win a “Dinner with Ryan” at the Run for Aimee 5K Walk/Run along the Augusta Canal at Savannah Rapids.

There will be a silent auction for up to 10 friends to win a dinner with Ryan Bowers, a former contestant on ABC’s The Bachelorette. The auction will be open until July 5 on Facebook at www.facebook.com/runforaimee5k. The proceeds will go to help buy prosthetic limbs for Aimee Copeland, a 24-year-old Georgia woman fighting flesh-decaying bacteria at Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital.

pommom38
pommom38 06/19/12 - 09:29 pm
He also said that he was

He also said that he was using the show as a steppingstone to get on a similar reality TV show called The Bachelor.

Well hmm, thank God you got the boot! Sorry, your character is not *made up* and they can't force you to say things you said since day one. And you as the Bachelor?? LMAO
You were an embarrassment to Augusta

WAG
WAG 06/20/12 - 07:15 am
You are a really good looking

You are a really good looking guy but you seem like a male chauvinist! Some of the stuff you said was not made up...You are arrogant and you need to get over yourself...You dont seem able to love anyone cause you love yourself to much... Conciet is not pretty! You were and embarrassment to yourself! Sorry!Too bad the package is pretty on the outside but not the inside!

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 06/20/12 - 08:27 am
Take it like a man. Slam

Take it like a man. Slam things, get drunk, tell everyone what a b-- she is. It was reality television, they were interested in making money. You, my friend, thought you were mister studpuppy and now your feelings are hurt that you got rejected in front of millions of people. I think you two would have made a good couple. She seemed to be as much into herself as you are into yourself.

tinytuna
tinytuna 06/20/12 - 09:34 am
I think Ryan is so good

I think Ryan is so good looking. He has a flirty, playboy personality. I think he did Augusta proud. Some day he will meet a wonderful girl that will steal his heart. Ryan is so young, so why shouldn't he go out and have fun. Let's see; he visited North Carolina, England and Croatia. He met a lot of interesting people; and stayed in some wonderful hotels. Ryan was on the show for quite a while. He should be proud!

allhans
allhans 06/20/12 - 09:46 am
How could this show make

How could this show make anyone proud?
Reality TV. When will people learn.

Frank I
Frank I 06/20/12 - 09:58 am
awe darn

awe darn, he didn't win game show marriage.. and anti-gay proponents argue about the sanctity of marriage.. REALLY, there are game shows (yes, GAME shows) about hetero marriage, but you can't let gay people marry because it'll destroy the sanctity of marriage between a man and a woman? I call shenanigans. Well, I'd call something else but it would be redacted....

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/20/12 - 10:00 am
Lucky man!

Wow.....ya mean......ya mean.......reality shows are manipulated to create controversy and aren't really "reality"?? Nooooo say it aint so!!

Thank your lucky stars, Ryan! You just dodged a bullet. The self-absorbed, narcissistic, fame cravers who populate these shows are NOT the sort of people with whom you want to settle down. These "Bachelor", "Bachelorette" shows do not have a good track record and once the cameras stop rolling, the ......*cough*........"relationship", usually hits an iceberg within months, if not weeks.

Learn your lesson and stay away from "reality" show trash and find yourself a good woman the same way the rest of us do!

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/20/12 - 10:13 am
Good point

Frank brings up a good point. When will ABC do a Gay Bachelor, er Bachelorette? Dang, what would they call it?

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/20/12 - 10:26 am
Well Frank if you are old

Well Frank if you are old enough you may remember the 60's in the public schools when they showed movies about the evils of homosexuality (along with movies about STDs, nuclear war-duck under our desks-yeesssh, and the perils of pot) how it was a mental disorder (told kids to watch out for older men who are too nice), it was also illegal and they warned of arresting you and then you would be an outcast. I think we've made progress to eliminate this stigma and now they have civil rights. The times are a changin'.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/20/12 - 10:30 am
I wonder why he did it-self

I wonder why he did it-self promotion or really lookin' for love. Given his athletic stature and good looks, one would think the former. Anyways seems too smart to be a part of such childishness.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/20/12 - 10:33 am
Funny soapy, posted the same

Funny soapy, posted the same sentiment at the same time. I also was thinking how juvenile the whole idea is and how sad people eat this up.

desertcat6
desertcat6 06/20/12 - 10:50 am
My wife made me watch and she

My wife made me watch and she wanted to root for Ryan simply because he was from Augusta. That lasted about one and a half shows. Hey, at least the egg boy is gone now too. Wow, I must really love my wife to sit through this show with her.

Frank I
Frank I 06/20/12 - 11:29 am
Not quite old enough

I'm not quite old enough to remember the 60's Bizkit, but I do know that the laws that are applied to gays and lesbians in regards to marriage, and some of the same arguments used, once also applied to interracial couples.. Perhaps one day people will see the ignorance of their ways, or the more intelligent and loving people will outnumber the hate filled bigots..

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/20/12 - 01:16 pm
Commenter poasted

Commenter poasted "DISGUSTA!!!!!!!GLAD I AM OUT OF THAT BACKWARDS TOWN!!!!!"

If this area is nothing but backwards in your opinion and you are so happy to be out of the area, then why read the local newspaper? Seems if you were so disgusted with this area you wouldn't care what was in the local paper.

katiecaroline
katiecaroline 06/20/12 - 01:27 pm
Ryan Bowers

I am a big fan of Emily, but I can't help but notice the one thing that really upset her with Brad (him kissing all the other women - she discovered when the show aired) is the exact thing she is doing now.

With that given, I find it difficult to understand why she didn't give Ryan the opportunity of more time. I don't know him, or anyone that does know him, but I couldn't help but notice him mentioning God a lot ... so the guy apparently has a personal relationship with God. None of the other guys have talked about the faith at all. I think Emily should have picked up on this quality and taen it a little more seriously. While Ryan Bowers may not be "the one", in time, I think she would find him a little more suitable than the ones she has left. I also think his playful nature may be his way of protecting himself - we all have our own ways of protecting ourselves, and basically, there's nothing wrong with that. I can't quite see her with the other guys, but if she's happy, then I'm happy for her. Let's just not bash Ryan Bowers because his personality doesn't align perfectly with ours. And, for the trophy wife comments - I think Ryan clearly meant that she is a really beautiful woman that he'd be proud to say she's his wife. He didn't strike me as a person that wants a trophy wife as a possession to own and showcase, but she seemed to have interpreted him like that on the show. All men love beautiful women, but not all trophy looking women are loving, devoted wives: some do it for a living! They know they acquired their position for their looks and love not a requirement, nor is affection. It is a life of charades and rewards for performance. I'm sure it's lonely in that shell. Best of luck to Emily and to Ryan in their lives.

marleneboulware
marleneboulware 06/20/12 - 02:09 pm
Wow give the guy a break!!!

I think that Ryan had an event of a lifetime!!! Glad Augusta was on the map, and I hope everyone joins him for his charity event(if he were a jerk,as everyone claims, he wouldn't be doing that) Good job Ryan!!!!

David Parker
David Parker 06/20/12 - 02:58 pm
yeah, the charity is

yeah, the charity is important. Put the coal-raking on hold and support his action to help Ms. Copeland.

Beyond that, Frank, I gave you thumbs up. I can't figure why your comment drew 4 downers. Oh yeah, haterz gonna hate!

carcraft
carcraft 06/20/12 - 03:48 pm
Still pays to avoid over

Still pays to avoid over friendly older men, or maybe the Sandusky trial is also reality TV?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/20/12 - 03:51 pm
First off, before someone

First off, before someone asks me to turn in my "Man Card", I only watched parts of a few episodes, and mainly when my wife would tell me that this guy was on the show. Have to say that he is correct when he says that the producers painted him to be a jerk. Now, that being said, he very well COULD BE a jerk...whether he's made to look like one or not! So, I'm going to REALLY, REALLY try hard and not think of the guy as a jerk. But, as far as him being narcissitic....I would bet a thousand dollars that he is! I, frankly, came to that conclusion rather quickly...like as soon as I saw the guy! LOL! ANYONE that goes to the trouble of grooming that beard that closely, and in whatever type of design that is, he HAS to be too, too into himself and his looks!
And, katecaroline, I may be completely off base here, but you sound like the typical young and naive girl that would be swept off their feet by guys like Ryan simply because of the words he carefully chooses to say to any young woman listening.....and, oh, yeah, don't forget coupling that dialogue with his shiny white teeth and his dimples!! LOL!
Before anyone starts thinking I'm "hatin'" on Ryan, I'm not. If it gets him where he needs to go, then all the better for him. Now that I think about it, it might be kinda fun seeing him on TV as the next "Batchelor"!

poolmom
poolmom 06/20/12 - 03:58 pm
I appreciate the fact that

I appreciate the fact that Ryan mentioned God several times. Not too many people are willing to say things about God in public. More people need to be that way. If Emily is a christian she could have done what Ryan told her, used the show to set an example for others to follow!

WAG
WAG 06/20/12 - 09:06 pm
He loves himself tooo much!

He loves himself tooo much!

Students face charges after school brawl

Eight T.W. Josey High School students are facing criminal charges following a fight that broke out in the school's hallways last Thursday.