Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG THANK YOU to Cushman’s Paint and Body on Washington Road. While I was driving down Washington Road, something took a chunk out of my rear tire, causing me to have a flat. I was fortunate enough to be right at the entrance to Cushman’s driveway. I pulled in and asked if they would be kind enough to help me change my tire. They provided me with two gentlemen from their shop to change my tire and get me back on the road. I offered to pay; their comment to me was “No charge, be safe.”

RAVES TO THE Augusta Historical Museum. My husband and I paid a visit and it was wonderful. We learn a lot about the Augusta area we didn’t know, and the displays are great. Well worth the $4 admission.

A HUGE RAVE TO Jefferson EMC for restoring my power after the storm on Middleground Road May 31. Fast and efficient.

RAVES TO The Augusta Chronicle. I love your new Sunday section Opinion. Editorials, Letters to the Editor and Rants & Raves are my favorite sections.

HOW DO WE KEEP electing big spenders of our money who seem to be oblivious of the choice of cutting spending rather than taxing more?

ONLY THE FEDERAL government could take 147 years to find the doctor’s report on Abe Lincoln’s shooting.

WISCONSIN VOTERS stomped on Obama and labor union bosses something awful in the recall election. Wow.

THE U.S. TERMINATED “funding for a $20 million” Sesame Street show in Pakistan? What kind of idiotic politicians came up with such an absurd and wasteful idea in the first place?

A RANT TO THE woman dining at a restaurant June 3. You had a crying fit because you felt you waited too long for your main course on your anniversary and insisted on free food. I sat close to you and know you were wrong. Didn’t you want to spend time with your husband, or was it all about free food?

THIS IS A RAVE TO the security at the gates at Fort Gordon. I have seen time after time when some loud clown deserved a head-to-toe nightstick massage and TASER tickle but they remained professional and always welcome everyone to the post with a smile.

TO THE PERSON hunting sauerkraut in the jar: They have it at the Bi-Lo in Southgate in two sizes. I hope you enjoy it.

PitchFork007
PitchFork007 06/14/12 - 06:22 am
NEW T-SPLOST SALES TAX

VOTE NO July 31st on the new T-SPLOST sales tax proposal that is being pushed down our throats by the big special interest groups. If passed, this would raise our sales tax burden to 8 cents on the dollar and that is way too much tax burden! The next time the perpetual tax hikers might want a new A-SPLOST for the arts and a BS-SPLOST for Mayor Deke's new baseball stadium. You name it and they keep on wanting to add a new sales tax to it. Stop this mess on July 31st!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 06:26 am
Good am posters & readers....

wow....so many raves this am & this one I really like..

Such good taste from a reader......you see Sean....they really DO like us.......as a matter of fact it makes the day for some....we add color & spice & real news on here.......a little knowledge---a little music---a little politics---a little humor....heh heh---we have it all!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 06:35 am
This grabs my attention!

Well...I guess we were trying to get the minds of the young over there....BUT folks we can't bomb them on one block & love them on another.....we need to SAVE the minds of the USA citizens...right here...I'm sick of dollars floating away to never never lands....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 06:41 am
Something soothing

Yeh yeh...this is what I'm thinking...

To all my loves on here.....:):)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 07:06 am
Do yall notice..

Do yall (meaning posters/readers) notice how happy riverman is to get back on here???? He sorta reminds me of Tiger when he won his first Masters...a teen with a brand new car.....
HE is sooooo addicted to this place!!!

This is what riverman did the day SM told him he could come back!!

allhans
allhans 06/14/12 - 08:21 am
"Letters to the Editor and

"Letters to the Editor and Rants & Raves are my favorite sections".

Me too.

I hope that includes the comments???

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/14/12 - 08:22 am
I'm not sure I see how what

I'm not sure I see how what you "do" here in the comments section has anything to do with the satisfaction of someone on the printed edition of the paper. Reminds me of politicians patting themselves on the back for jobs well done that they had nothing to do with...

allhans
allhans 06/14/12 - 08:28 am
BUSH 41" has high marks and is

"BUSH 41" has high marks and is on HBO (which I don't have), tonight.
I will ask my son to record it for me...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 08:35 am
A balanced mind is a wonderful thing!

Why Are Some People So Critical?

A normal Human being should have a balanced behaviour, it not uncommon for someone to criticise someone else or to be sarcastic for one or two times a week, but when the critical comments starts to flood everyone surrounding him and when his sarcastic behaviour becomes directed to the purpose of hurting those people then this person is in real need for help. Are you wondering why? Here are the answers:

* Criticism And Anger:Have you ever watched your negative thoughts while being angry? If you did then most probably you already noticed that you were so critical to everyone and to everything. When we become angry we tend to become overly critical and sarcastic, but I am not talking about the short bursts of anger that visit us each now and then, am talking about anger that is carried inwards, am talking about anger that accompanies us in every moment that we live, i am talking about people who are haunted by anger. People with unmet goals, people who were emotionally abused and people with violated rights may end up being angry at everything. They live a miserable life and curse everyone they find in their way as if others carry part of the blame for what happened to them. Those are the overly critical and the overly sarcastic people you meet in your life.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 08:38 am
Hahah

bye bye for now....I know some politicians I want to pat..:):)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/12 - 09:09 am
@7

Good Morning America

Some Americans are waking up, thank God.

The AFL-CIO has told Washington Whispers it will redeploy funds away from political candidates smack dab in the middle of election season, the latest sign that the largest federation of unions in the country could be becoming increasingly disillusioned with President Obama.

The federation says the shift has been in the works for months, and had nothing to do with the president's failure to show in Wisconsin last week, where labor unions led a failed recall election of Governor Scott Walker.

"We wanted to start investing our funds in our own infrastructure and advocacy," AFL-CIO spokesman Josh Goldstein told Whispers. "There will be less contributions to candidates," including President Obama.

While there were "a lot of different opinions" about whether Obama should have gone to Wisconsin, according to Goldstein, "this is not a slight at the president."

The AFL-CIO has been at odds with the president before Wisconsin on issues such as the public health insurance option and renewing the Bush tax cuts.

The shift in funding is significant due to the federation's role in past presidential campaigns, where the AFL-CIO built up a massive political structure in the months leading up the election, including extensive "Get Out The Vote" efforts, as well as financial contributions.

Tots
Tots 06/14/12 - 09:16 am
Brain teasers,

Hi everybody,this post has nothing to do with the rants&raves;But- would the person /commenter who posted that brain teaser with the black cat please repost the link, or send it to me by email...Thanks!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/12 - 09:58 am
Unabashedly Happy to be Back

SeenIt, I am unabashedly happy to be back. I am a news junkie and enjoy tremendously commenting here. I've met people here whom I email with and have met in person. I've developed working friendships that have given me insights to what goes on around here.

When someone criticizes the commenters in the comments section I always have to smile. See, I remember when the old forums and comment section began as the internet was taking hold. We were slammed by traditional media of all types and public officials. Everyone thought allowing the public to comment was crazy.

One BOE member even wrote a long comment about how the whole thing gave her a bad taste. Get this, that comment was first posted in the forum. After the comments section took off, I've had more than a few officials, candidates and those in the media contact me because of things I've written. Every man has his own moveable press.

What the comments do is allow every story and editorial to be discussed. If there's something wrong with the article, believe me, someone will find it. It's interactive news.

Oh, those media types who ranted about commenters...they are now on Facebook, Twitter and blogs running their own online things.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/12 - 10:01 am
allhans
allhans 06/14/12 - 10:21 am
CG Now why did you have to

CG Now why did you have to go and do that. I am suffering from dental implants and you go and post that teaser Tots wanted ...It kept me busy for 10 mins and I gave up. Lots of fun though, I will try again later :))

allhans
allhans 06/14/12 - 10:27 am
Actually the comments are the

Actually the comments are the best part. Its a shame more people don't participate.
I have found that most just look at you if you ask if they ever read the comments.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/12 - 10:35 am
Allhans, somebody is dang sure reading

Allhans, somebody is dang sure reading for all the trouble I've gotten in. Heh.

Tots
Tots 06/14/12 - 10:40 am
Thanks,

George,i kinda thought it was you or maybe seenit that posted it..
I clicked it on late last night and that darn cat kept me up way past my bed time..I'll make sure i keep the link this time..It had a few of us laughing our butts off... Y'all have a great day..Now back to the rants & raves,cause i sure enjoy reading what all of you have to say....

Jake
Jake 06/14/12 - 11:01 am
Cats

I was able to circle the cat on my second try. Is there more to this?

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/14/12 - 11:09 am
@RM I'm not criticizing there

@RM I'm not criticizing there being a comments section. In fact, I quite enjoy it or I wouldn't even bother showing up. I value the open discussion myself; at least when it's civil and open-minded (which is often a stretch on certain topics). But commenters assuming credit for something that was clearly about the print edition is rather presumptuous. Seenit's comment on the things commenters add to the environment here is entirely accurate, but totally unrelated to the rave that was referenced. But since I'm not a member of the cult of personality here, I don't really expect anyone to agree with me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/12 - 11:21 am
BDouglas, not being critical.

BDouglas, not being critical. We are all in this together. Hang in there.

allhans
allhans 06/14/12 - 11:33 am
Jake. I wont' tell you how

Jake. I wont' tell you how many times it took for me to trap the cat, but it was more than twice.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/12 - 11:41 am
RA

was the one who posted it and it took me 4 tries to master the cat. There is a trick to it but once you get it, try it again an you will be outmaneuvered.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/12 - 12:51 pm
Ra did that to us!!

RA is messing with our minds...:)

bdouglas----jump in here with us......you might like it.......btw--some of us get emails telling us what they like & don't like......if you have a request let us know......pls

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/14/12 - 02:42 pm
Seenitb4 writes: "RA is

Seenitb4 writes: "RA is messing with our minds...:)"

And I'm good at it too. Not to mention humble about the whole deal.

Hint on the cat. Work from the outside, every other space. Even then She'll get you now and then.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/14/12 - 02:43 pm
Punday June 14th

I got a job at a bakery because I kneaded dough.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/12 - 03:34 pm
Congressional Election

It appears Lee Anderson gave some of his campaign contributions to Nathan Deal. Many of us were not Deal supporters. That's not going to help Anderson. I'm seeing lots of big Rick Allen campaign signs in Columbia County. I wonder who will spend more on this election...McLeod or Allen? I heard Maria Sheffield on the radio yesterday and she seems intelligent and well spoken. All of them do except ole Lee, although he may be the front runner.

Tots
Tots 06/14/12 - 05:22 pm
Thanks,

Retired Army, for all the laughs we had last night trying to trap that darn cat.

Hello bdouglas,and welcome to the rants and raves section..I'm not a member of the cult/group .....

Tots
Tots 06/14/12 - 05:47 pm
Hi Riverman,

welcome back..

Trouble
Trouble 06/14/12 - 05:52 pm
evening

evening to one and all, hope you had a good day

Gander Mountain opens

Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain opened at 9 a.m. today at 145 Mason McKnight Jr. Parkway, across from CarMax.