Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG RAVE to Deputy Eas­ler and the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office House Watch Program. I received a call around midnight on the first night of our vacation. The deputy saw water pouring from our garage. I was able to get him into the garage and he shut off the water. Based on the amount of water damage and the location of the shut-off valve, he must have gotten soaked to the bone. If it had been allowed to spew for six more days, it would have been disastrous.

RAVE TO THE PRINCIPAL at Hephzibah Middle School. I have sent four kids through HMS. It’s such a blessing to finally have someone who the teachers respect, the kids love and the parents feel comfortable around.

I THINK THE downtown banners are a great way to promote events taking place … but does the Augusta Pride have to “shove it down our throats” for a whole month? I am fine with the LGBT community, but as I keep my decision to be straight and proud to myself, can’t you keep your decision to be gay to yourself?!?

TIGER IS A GOOD GOLFER. Why does he have to win like an egomaniac with his histrionics?

ONLY IN AMERICA would a cellphone be deemed a “right” instead of a “privilege.” We need a priority check in the White House.

RANT TO CCBOE. Where do Columbia County classroom teachers turn when they are bullied and harassed by teachers in their school, administrators in their school and high level administrators at the Columbia County Board of Education office on Hereford Farm Road? PAGE, GAE and CCBOE HR have been contacted and offer no help. If you have a suggestion or know how to help us, please respond!

A LETTER WANTS Medi­caid “tweaked.” You can’t “tweak” socialism. You either kill it or, eventually, it kills you.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF Education “penalized” South Carolina – essentially a $36 million fine – for “NOT SPENDING enough on special education.” Such tyranny by the federal government must stop.

CAN IT BE TRUE that Paine College, which is having money trouble, is also building a new sports complex costing several million dollars? Is there even one lick of common sense in any of this?

Fools_and_sages
Fools_and_sages 06/12/12 - 07:38 pm
Socialism

Love the Conservative mindset. Medicaid, welfare, social security, federal college tuition grants, and unemployment are considered socialism but somehow the HOPE scholarship, property tax exemptions, public schools, and public services such as police and firefighters aren't. Honestly, you pay taxes that allow the government to provide those services and benefits if you should ever need them. You may have been lucky enough to avoid needing the safety nets but, if they weren't available, what would you do without them? What would the millions of people who lost jobs or could never find one in the first place do? Do you want them breaking into your house, stealing your food and property, and killing you instead? Would you rather spend the money from social programs on more prisons when the US already has the highest incarceration rate in the world? Do you want old people living in the streets or would you really want to spend 30 more years living with your parents?

Beyond the safety net programs, if you and your kids attend(ed) public school, if you or you kids receive(d) a HOPE scholarship, if you get a property tax exemption, and if you have ever benefited from having police, firefighters, paved roads, safe bridges, reliable sewer systems and electrical grids, clean water, and food, then you have benefited form so-called socialism because all of those things are subsidized or paid for outright by the local, state, and federal governments using your tax dollars.

What most of you don't get, however, is that true socialism means the government owns and runs certain things or the public owns and runs certain things. Socialism isn't as simple as regulation or providing funding. You want a real example of socialism? I hope you all enjoy the 6% rate cut that GA Power is giving us because, when an industry cannot profit from certain fees that means the government controls the profitability of that industry, which is socialism!

Basically, in the conservative mindset, socialism is bad unless it benefits them in some way. Since you're all such proud anti-socialists, I truly hope all of you have the means to retire independently wealthy and provide private education for your kids from kindergarten through graduate school and private fire and security forces for your property. I also hope you never lose your jobs or fall on hard times due to health issues. I guarantee that when you need socialism, you'll be there with your hand out crying for your "entitlements" just as loudly as you protest against them when you don't need them. Hypocrisy is the conservative mindset.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/13/12 - 12:45 am
#1. I really appreciate ColCo

#1. I really appreciate ColCo law enforcement, which indirectly means Sheriff Whittle and his approach to policing. Just today, I was riding with a friend down William Few when we encountered two patrol cars within a few seconds, one turning into a neighborhood. Friend asks "what is going on"? I say "nothing. that car is just making a pass through the neighborhood". Much more effective LE than trapping someone going a little over the speed limit in light traffic. GOOD WORK SHERIFF CLAY!!!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/13/12 - 01:17 am
#3. You can ignore it. I

#3. You can ignore it. I haven't even noticed it myself. When the parade or whatever they do comes, I will still be blissfully ignorant of what they are doing because I DO NOT CARE! Nor should you. I don't give people an audience who are seeking attention that I don't want to give. Isn't that pretty simple?

#4. I don't like him just because of his immense ego. He is as talented as any golfer in history, maybe moreso; but he couldn't caddy for Nicholas, Palmer, Jones, et. al. when it comes to character.

#5. I agree, as long as you don't blame Obama. The program popularly described as "Obamaphone" was actually begun during the Reagan administration and furthered in the GWB administration. Let's put blame with whom it belongs.

#6. Good question. I would like detail and other opinion since I have family in the system.

#7. ^5

#8 why are you surprised?

#9. See #8.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/13/12 - 05:06 am
Social Security and medicare

Social Security and medicare are entitlements not gifts to lazy people. If you work and pay into social security and medicare, you are entitled to it not lazy bums that wait on tax payers to give them everything. Can't believe they get cell phones now. If you lose your job, get two more. There are jobs everywhere but people are too lazy to work or think they are too good to get paid less. Or break into my house and take your chances.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/13/12 - 05:25 am
Good Morning

Good Mourning Awguster. SB4. CG, RM1, WB, and the rest of the alphabet. And of course I can't forget Trouble or I will be in trouble.

Now for a serious question to some of our Catholic friends. What is the proper way to address a Cardinal? I will use Timothy Dolan as an example. I hear him addressed as Cardinal Timothy Dolan and Timothy Cardinal Dolan. Is the context his name is used what makes the difference or is it a matter of choice. Just curious.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/13/12 - 05:34 am
Socialism

Take a look at Europe right now. Very big on socialism. And very broke. You can liken socialism to a pyramid scheme. It works great for a while but eventually it will collapse. I myself am taking measures so that I don't have to rely on the Government to retire. My daughter is going through college without using HOPE, or any other government program. It is hard on us but we are making it. I contribute $400 a month and she works and pays the rest. Key word there WORKS.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 05:52 am
Good am RKill & all

On the golf course!!
Alicia Binford (left) and Shelly Lewis were arrested after allegedly popping their tops on the golf course.

Illinois golfers were given a double bogey on Monday afternoon, as two blondes reportedly flashed them in broad daylight on the golf course.

Alicia Binford, 43, and Shelly Lewis, 45 were arrested and charged with public indecency.

Madison County sheriff's deputies responded to the Woodlands Golf Course at about 2 p.m. on a citizen complaint call, KMOV reported.

Binford and Lewis had allegedly exposed their "sexual organs," according to the complaint, though deputies deemed the "sexual organs" to be breasts. Both women, from O'Fallon, Missouri, were taken to jail on a $100 bond.

There are reports that the exposure may have stemmed from a private group of golfers that host a naked -- and illegal -- golf tournament on the course once a year, according to the The Telegraph.

I'm shocked heh heh......no dang wonder GOB spends so much time on the golf course.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 05:55 am
Where is trouble

Is trouble under lock & key.....did you leave her at a truck stop & forget to pick her up.....I miss her smiling face on here!!

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/13/12 - 05:57 am
Comment 1 (continued)

If you are looking for a job, Schneider the company I drive for, is offering a $12,000 sign on bonus right now. No, that is not a mistake. That is the correct number of zeros. But most people would raise there standards enough to drive a truck. Take a look at the right side of this page where is says "Top Jobs" then tell me there aren't any jobs available. I agree we need more but some jobs are out there if people would just take them. I have had a couple of jobs I really didn't like, but I kept my bills paid with out relying on the government.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 06:04 am
Evans to Lock rd area

Crime is around you now....

An Evans man was in stable condition Tuesday morning after getting shot outside his home Monday.

Julian Derrick Bell, 25, told authorities that he was playing basketball at Wedgewood Park Apartments Monday evening when he got into an argument with two men. Before it escalated, Bell went home about 10:45 p.m., according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

When Bell parked at his home on Evans to Locks Road, he said two men approached him and fired several shots from a handgun into his vehicle, according to the report.

I have kin & friends in that area.....off Evans Lock...& my parents lived
there a few years back.......I hate to think this is a shoot-em-up part of town now...:(

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/13/12 - 06:29 am
Yep, you have friends in that

Yep, you have friends in that area. Me being one of them. Funny how the crime has been rising in that specific area since Wedgewood came. But we all know that is just a coincidence.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/13/12 - 06:42 am
RANT to CCBOE:

Have you taken your concerns to Mr. Nagle, your BOE representative and/or Mrs. Buccafusco?

If they are unable to help, contact Metro Association of Classroom Teachers(www.theteachersadvocate.com) or John Trotter, Ed.D., J.D., CEO of MACE. Dr. Trotter's e-mail is: drjohntrotter@yahoo.com.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 06:43 am
Crime stats

Some on here think we are profiling when we rant against section 8 housing....not true....maybe profiling against crime though....

Studies have proven the crime stats go up in certain areas for certain reasons......low income-jobless ----skipping school---etc. etc.-----the very reason people work hard to afford housing away from crime areas....& to have a safe enviornment for raising kids...we all want the best & safest neighborhood possible...
Sometimes government can mess up a 2 car parade......we see that everyday...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 06:49 am
Section 8 & crime

article from August 2011

Section 8 rental subsidies have long been one of the most controversial federal social programs. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) under the Obama administration is making a troubled program worse.

In the 1990s, the feds were embarrassed by skyrocketing crime rates in public housing—up to 10 times the national average, according to HUD studies and many newspaper reports. The government's response was to hand out vouchers to residents of the projects (authorized under Section 8 of the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974), dispersing them to safer and more upscale locales.

Section 8's budget soared to $19 billion this year from $7 billion in 1994. HUD now picks up the rent for more than two million households nationwide; tenants pay 30% of their income toward rent and utilities while the feds pay the rest. Section 8 recipients receive monthly rental subsidies of up to $2,851 in the Stamford-Norwalk, Conn., area, $2,764 in Honolulu and $2,582 in Columbia, Md.

But the dispersal of public housing residents to quieter neighborhoods has failed to weed out the criminal element that made life miserable for most residents of the projects. "Homicide was simply moved to a new location, not eliminated," concluded University of Louisville criminologist Geetha Suresh in a 2009 article in Homicide Studies. In Louisville, Memphis, and other cities, violent crime skyrocketed in neighborhoods where Section 8 recipients resettled.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/13/12 - 07:08 am
Good Morning America

B4, RK, Ar and iad you have about covered it all. Not much more for me to chew about.

Maybe we should let Fools_and_sages educate us some more.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/13/12 - 07:29 am
I saw a show about Denmark

I saw a show about Denmark limiting unemployment to 2 years, down from 10 years. Did crime go up? No, everyone got a job when their time was up. Unemployment went down. Way down.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 07:30 am
Stands out to me

This is what jumps pout of that study!!!

OK then......study after study says it doesn't work....sooo why not save 19 billion of tax dollars & I would rather see that or some, maybe 1/2 of that go for after school study sessions in low income housing for the very poor kids.......that would keep some off the streets & give them extra study lessons they so dearly need.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 07:32 am
Augusta resident

People will work to eat---everytime......this has been proven for AGES...but our daddy gov. can't se that.

copperhead
copperhead 06/13/12 - 07:55 am
That $19 billion buys a LOT

That $19 billion buys a LOT of votes!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/13/12 - 08:03 am
Section 8

gets better......

L.A. County gives some homeless convicts priority in housing

Supervisors approve a plan allowing some parolees and probationers the first chance at Section 8 vouchers for federal housing. Officials say the rule seeks to aid low-level offenders.

April 10, 2012|By Ann M. Simmons, Los Angeles Times

Supervisors approved a plan allowing some parolees and probationers the… (Luis Sinco / Los Angeles…)
Homeless convicts on probation or parole are now eligible for government-subsidized housing under a new housing plan approved by Los Angeles County supervisors.

The change, which officials said was intended to help reduce chronic homelessness, would give some ex-prisoners priority over thousands of non-offenders who are awaiting government housing assistance, officials said.

Wonder if RC will consider this?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 08:09 am
The KKK denied

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 08:16 am
Cgee.....don't give them any ideas :)

Last night I saw a program where working folks stood in line for hours waiting on free medical care---dental & etc....some were from Dalton Ga......he was a truck driver but couldn't afford $500 a month in premiums.....this is going on in our country right now BUT we send billions to other countries everyday........like Pakistan.....I'm losing it just trying to understand our thinking here....
We give to criminals----free loaders--etc.........but for some very poor or working poor we just ignore....& some are very proud & hate to ask for help.

justthefacts
21958
justthefacts 06/13/12 - 08:29 am
KKK

Do you suppose the ACLU will come to their aid?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/13/12 - 08:30 am
DOT

I guess the DOT officials would rather see litter on the highways than the letters KKK on an Adopt a Road sign.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/13/12 - 08:34 am
ACLU

State government officials don't care if the ACLU sues the DOT because the money to pay court costs (win or lose) comes from taxpayers. Now, if they would take the court costs out of the salary of the DOT Director, I'll bet he would order his minions to approve the Adopt a Highway application from the Klan.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/13/12 - 08:36 am
SeenitB4 writes: "In case

SeenitB4 writes:
"In case yall are interested....the DOT has denied the KKK application to adopt a highway in the Appalachian Mountains.....they said it would negatively impact the quality of life...."

Well, that should get some of the sleepy heads up an at 'em this morning. I wonder if the ACLU will take up their cause.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/13/12 - 08:43 am
Punday June 13th

All the toilets in Augusta's police stations have been stolen. The police have nothing to go on.It's created quite a stink.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 08:42 am
Dallas is BACK!!!

(ya funny this am RA)

JR ....Larry Hagman is 81 years old....dang he looks good....I like him in Dallas....he was greedy-mean-sly-smartie--all the things we see in the best posters on here...heh heh...
83 million people watched the Who shot JR episode...

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/13/12 - 08:46 am
Seenit, Dallas had it's

Seenit, Dallas had it's moments, but nothing topped those season ending cat fights over on Dynasty.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 08:48 am
Women cat fights

Women fighting just don't do it for me...heh......nekkid or not....

Now...mean tough men like JR......that is a different story..:)

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.