Rants & Raves

Comments from readers.

KIDS AND EVEN SOME parents definitely need manners. One parent sent a kid to me as I was getting into my friend’s car to ask me for money. When I turned to her and told her that was obnoxious to get a kid to ask me for money, she said if I’d just pay the kid a dollar, he would not bother me anymore. I let my rage show and told her and the kid that if the kid bothered me anymore I would bother his butt. Kid and mother turned big eyes on me as they both backed off.

WHY IS THE RED CROSS labeling financial donors to the current campaign as heroes? Are they trying to demean our true heroes that fight the battles (military) or save lives on the streets (police, firefighters, paramedics, etc.)? That’s pathetic!

BAURLE BOAT RAMP used to be a nice place to take my family to go boating and enjoy the day. Now it’s just a place for underage thugs to hang out drinking, tearing up roads, throwing out trash and doing drugs. The place looks worse than a dump with all the beer bottles and trash. It sure would be nice to see an effort to make this place nice again, I sure do miss it.

IN REFERENCE TO the June 4 edition of The Augusta Chronicle, I know I live in the Bible Belt and golf is big business here, but I’m really tired of reading about sports and religion on the front page of this newspaper. Keep sports in the sports section and religion in the Faith section.

THE MODERN GAME called “cash back” makes no sense. It’s either a discount, which is still not free money, or it’s a way for the lender to charge you more by giving you some of your own money immediately. Either way, any cash you get “back” was taken from your pocket first. You lose!

bill1234
bill1234 06/12/12 - 06:36 am
Lake Levels

How can Lake Thurman levels possibly continue to drop when rain continues to fall and flood warnings abound from Linconton to the Southern CSRA? With temps where they are, it cannot be because of power generation needs. Is the Corps accountable to no one?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 06:40 am
Well well....1st one on the block this am....

Amazing stuff going on this past week.....sheriffs race is heating up...heheh...like it needed some heating....

Sean let our man Riverman come home again....good thing even though he was paying me good money to keep his name on here...hahah

We have some new posters -----some are really funny too.....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 06:44 am
What is this coming to your car for money

In the last months I have noticed many folks are coming up to cars at gas stations & asking for money......I haven't seen a kid yet.....but what is going on....it is always..."I need a few bucks for gas to get home & etc."....it must pay off because they are getting $$....I'll admit I was taken a time or 2 myself......

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 06:54 am
Also about the money thing

Now that I think about it...they ask for money EVERYWHERE....yesterday at Publix the cashier ask me to give a donation & put it on my bill--I did---at road signs someone is collecting $$ for something---I gave there too---coming to my door for school projects---over the phone---geez...it wouldn't surprise me to see someone collecting in the restroom one day.......we are nickled & dimed to death!!

Don't even get me started about hot lanes--toll roads that we have already PAID for!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 07:38 am
More news out there

Americans have suffered a record decline in wealth...

The median family's net worth dropped 38.8 percent during the three-year period, the Fed said in its latest report on changes in U.S. Family Finances, derived from a survey of consumer finances. Fed economists told reporters that this was the biggest drop in net worth since the survey started in 1989.

The median net worth, which is the value of assets minus debt, plunged to $77.3 trillion in 2010 from $126.4 trillion in 2007. Net worth in 2010 was at levels last seen in 1992.

"Although declines in the values of financial assets or business were important factors for some families, the decreases in median net worth appear to have been driven most strongly by a broad collapse in house prices," the Fed said.

Soooo giving a mortgage to people who can't afford it didn't pay off did it----this trickles down on all of us......

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/12/12 - 07:50 am
Good Morning America

This should get my first downer for the day.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/12/12 - 07:52 am
Give Me A Dollar

I respond, Heck No, Ask your Great King SMNCICBHO for one, you have a better chance.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/12/12 - 07:55 am
Heroes

That title is now given to all Damocats supporters.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/12/12 - 08:01 am
Well,

there ain't much here to chomp your teeth in today. All the most discussed has been brow beaten to death. Not going to get into a debate on beer bottles at a boat ramp.

Just hope the market is more exciting, gotta make my 2 or 3 hundred today.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 08:04 am
Keep making money Cgee

I just might need a buck or two one day...& I will come to YOU cause I know you are LOADED!!

Yep the r/rs are lacking something.....it is a good thing we can think outside the box & get the real news on here..:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/12/12 - 08:14 am
Geez!

schools now banned against singing "God Bless America"

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 08:27 am
More news

The Governor will be in Augusta today soooo try to be nice to him...

US families see prosperity plunge..headlines in AJC (I covered that already)

Jeb Bush is critical of the GOP--years ago he said they got more done with bipartisan support

Facebook growth rate is slowing..

New heart valve can be inserted through a major artery....amazing stuff they can do.....

gotta run now......connie chung signing off :)

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/12 - 08:58 am
No Nicey Nicey

Sorry, Seenit, but I can't do it. I will not be nice to the governor today. He is in Augusta to lobby for the new T-SPLOST tax. I think it should be against the law for government officials to advocate for or against a public referendum. Governor Deal will be drawing his state salary, and his transportation to and from Augusta will be paid by taxpayers. He should not be promoting a new tax on the taxpayers' dime.

Vote NO! on T-SPLOST on July 31.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/12/12 - 08:58 am
Punday Jun 12th

I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.

Workers of the world UNITE!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/12 - 09:53 am
What?

Here is a poorly-crafted sentence from an Associated Press article in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

ATLANTA — Georgia taxpayers are paying some of the costliest penalties for water pollution, according to a newspaper's analysis of state data.

What do they mean by "some of the costliest"? Georgia taxpayers and water & sewer ratepayers are paying all of the penalties and always have. It's nothing new. If the penalties are increasing, it means somebody violated something. It's just one of the many ways the state government raises money.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/12 - 10:12 am
Tongue-Tied

I enjoy Retired Army's puns. I'm not clever enough to write them.

I did get a kick out of a sentence from an opinion column I read again this week. It is a quote from a businessman about how he perceives future expansion prospects:

John Couch, who owns the Red Drum Tackle Shop in Buxton, N.C. and is president of the Outer Banks Preservation Association, said the community supports protections for the birds and turtles, but that the National Parks Service is being unreasonable and "heavy-handed" by cutting off miles and miles of access to the beaches and the recreation it provides. . . . “These overzealous restrictions have taken a heavy toll on the tackle shop; business is off by 30 and 50 percent. . . . I'm suffering as a member of the business community. I have no expectation of what to expect,” Couch said.

The statement reminded me of the 60s song lyric by a band called the Limited Edition, which went:

“I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.”

Though the businessman's statement about expectations was humorous, the underlying sentiment was anything but. Businesses cannot plan for the future with a government bent on destroying them through bureaucratic regulations. When our president says we must print money out of thin air to hire more government workers (federal, state, local) in order to get out of this recession, business owners know that the resulting inflation and taxation and regulation will squeeze them harder and harder and harder, just like Mr. Couch mentioned above.

We must elect a president and a Congress that does not view businesses and business owners as enemies of the state.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/12 - 10:20 am
Summertime Blues

Here's a link to the story:

Welcome to summer

Read it slowly and carefully. It's a warning.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/12/12 - 10:28 am
Lake Levels

Apparently, some folks don't "read up." Yesterday, I posted pertaining to the lake levels, and why the "Corpse of Engineers" allows Clark's Hill to be drained on a regular basis. Here goes, once again;

Clark's Hill Reservoir is a "maintenance lake." If one would research the "mission statement," the purposes of the impoundment are explained therein. The prime mission of Clark's Hill is two-fold; flood control and maintaining a navigation channel in Savannah. As mentioned yesterday, recreation is low on the Totem Pole, for those of us who use it for those purposes.

There is little use in trying to get the Corp. of Eng. to change their policies pertaining to lake levels; it has been tried, but never to the satisfaction of the general public. My suggestion is, enjoy what we have, and make the best of the "good years."

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/12/12 - 10:32 am
itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/12/12 - 10:43 am
fund raising

"Now that I think about it...they ask for money EVERYWHERE....yesterday at Publix the cashier ask me to give a donation & put it on my bill--I did---at road signs someone is collecting $$ for something---I gave there too---coming to my door for school projects---over the phone"

Kids going door to door are the ones who irk me the most- not the kids but the adults who send them. I did not allow my children to do that, if there was a project that needed funding I just handed over some cash for my child's part and called it a day. The thoughts of friends and neighbors buying overpriced stuff they really didn't want or need just to be nice to my kid were just too disagreeable to me. Have car washes, bake sales, spaghetti dinners or whatever where people come to you and get something they actually want or need. My home is my safe haven and I do not want anybody knocking on my door for anything, unless I have a prior relationship or they are Publishers Clearinghouse....

harley_52
harley_52 06/12/12 - 10:53 am
Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/12 - 11:03 am
LOL

Thanks for the list of puns, Harley. Here is one from the list:

Pasteurize: Too far to see.

That reminded me of one of those old, cornpone jokes from the Hee Haw television show:

Lulu: They say they're supposed to be good for a girl's skin, so last night I took me one of them thar milk baths.

Archie: Oh? Pasteurized?

Lulu: Oh no. It was only up to my navel.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/12/12 - 11:03 am
Sarge, the problem isn't that

Sarge, the problem isn't that people want recreation to supercede the primary missions of any hydropower project. All we ask is they have a rational policy that serves ALL of the missions as efficiently as it can.
They don't, and it doesn't.

For example: (I will pluck these numbers out of thin air for purposes of illustration)

The corp has a plan that says when the lake level reaches 326, we will reduce outflow from 4600 to 4000 CFS. When it reaches 322, outflows go to 3600; @ 318 outflows to 3300, which is the minimum required to maintain downstream needs like water intakes, shipping channel, and ecological concerns.

Well hell's bells!! if 3300 is the minimum required, why wait until the lake is below 318 to go there? Go there at 326 to get the lake back to 330, or whatever the appropriate level is for the season.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/12/12 - 11:54 am
Rain

And sarge, when it is pouring down rain like it did Sunday and Monday, the "corpse" (as you put it) can shut down the gates completely, because the Good Lord is providing all the water the navigation channel needs with rainfall below the dam.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/12/12 - 03:51 pm
Little Lamb writes:"I enjoy

Little Lamb writes:"I enjoy Retired Army's puns. I'm not clever enough to write them."

Neither am I, but(and this is the part that really hurts)I have a friend in ARKASAS-fer God's sake who is.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/12/12 - 04:02 pm
Seenit, just for you

Seenit, just for you Dahlin'

The rest of you, don't go here without patience!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/12/12 - 04:50 pm
RA

4 tries and did it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 04:57 pm
Smartie pants

RA.....ya trying to drive me crazy hehheh..

That cat is smarter than he looks..:)

LLMB---you be nice to the Gov...ya hear....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/12/12 - 05:01 pm
Relaxing time

Propping my feet up & relaxing ........nice cool drink----great sandwich---& some me time..:):)

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/12/12 - 06:21 pm
Let me give y’all the other side

Let me give y’all the other side of those of us downstream of the dam. Keep in mind we are in a monumental drought and the ground is dry everywhere around here. We’ve learned from the Corp that the lake didn’t rise much after this past rain. The valid reason they gave is due to the dryness of the ground. There’s a whole science dedicated to that subject.

The problem is there was not that much relative run-off even though we received a few inches of rain. The banks of the river and its tributary streams are in the same condition. The river hasn’t risen any noticeable amount after the rain. Keep in mind it’s a long way to the ocean and because it rains on one portion, it doesn’t mean it’s raining all up and down the river’s length.

Then there’s the question of why not fill the lake above average pool during periods when drought conditions don’t exist. But that defeats the flood control purposes of the dam. If it’s above normal pool, it can’t handle flood conditions such as we had in 1990.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the whole problem is lack of rain. We all just have to deal with these conditions until things change or a decision is made to decrease the size of the lake which the Corp discussed at a meeting I attended.

At that same meeting was an old fellow who stood up to say his piece and he made more sense than the PhD scientists present. He said, “The water goes up and the water goes down. I’ve learned to live with it.”