Rants & Raves

BIG RAVE TO Columbia County DOT Bus Shop Mechanics who are hardworking guys all year long. I want to take a few seconds to say THANK YOU!

A HUGE RANT TO the “Chatty Cathys” in Section 14 at the Yanni concert. I hope you enjoyed the show because you spoiled it for everyone within 20 feet of you with the running commentary. I bet you are a blast at the movies.

LAST SUNDAY’S editorial quotes section inserted a politically correct bit to Dr. Albert Schweitzer, who never said “Every patient carries HER OR HIS own doctor inside.” Schweitzer said, “Every patient carries his own doctor inside,” the feminine being implied as the English language has done since Mr. English invented his language.

MARBURY V. MADISON was the original case that allowed a bored and power-hungry Supreme Court to invent its right to “interpret” laws. The word “interpret” is nowhere found in the Constitution. But ever since, that court has “interpreted” whatever it bloody well pleased.

SOME DOCTORS ARE concentrating on “patient-centered” care. What else would the care center on, but that of the patient? Is this just modern lingo to confuse? Do warm and fuzzy words that imply greater health necessarily improve anything?

WRDW CHANNEL 12 decides to put the telethon on the High Definition channel and move the final round of the golf tournament to My12 only to find out that there is no audio on My12.

THANKS TO MR. LONG, Mr. Cooper and Ms. Sylvia Cooper for pointing out the ethically challenged candidates who are not financially responsible enough personally, let alone with state or city monies. Ms. Sylvia’s “City Ink” is a humdinger June 3. Tip of my hat to you, dear lady!

WHAT LOVELY NEWS ABOUT Ms. Naomi Williams! She was my English teacher back at Westside. I had quite a struggle but she was always kind enough to keep working with me and I’m so grateful for all her help! I will have to look at her books at the library at least!

A PAKISTANI MAN cut off his wife’s nose because she walked out of their house “without his permission.” For his savage crime he served a measly 10 months in prison. Keep such Sharia “justice” in Pakistan.

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/10/12 - 09:31 pm
Very flabbergasted

Did the AC really let rave #7 slide by? No wonder RC has such a wonderful track record concerning race relations. Ethnically challenged? I guess Caucasians are pigmentally challenged, huh? Way too far on that one AC.

***evidently I misread the rave*** I am not a race baiter ... as I originally read it I was offended as a pigmentally challenged person.

copperhead
copperhead 06/10/12 - 09:16 pm
Knan'tB4Real,please learn the

Knan'tB4Real,please learn the difference between ethic and ethnic why introduce race? Liberals!

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/10/12 - 09:23 pm
Liberal my butt ... I am

Liberal my butt ... I am fully and wholeheartedly Republican. If I need to reread I apologize. I sure as heck am not a bleeding heart.

raul
raul 06/10/12 - 09:45 pm
@KhantB4Real. I think you may

@KhantB4Real. I think you may have experienced an "Emily Litella" moment in your first post. Remember Emily on SNightLive?

An Emily Litella example would be as follows:
What is all this fuss I hear about the Supreme Court decision on a "deaf" penalty? It's terrible! Deaf people have enough problems as it is! The news anchor interrupted Litella to point out her error, along the lines, "That's death, Ms. Litella, not deaf ... death." Litella would wrinkle her nose, say something like, "Oh, that's very different...." then meekly turn to the camera and say, "Never mind."

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/10/12 - 10:06 pm
Raul ... ughhhh it happens

Lol. Maybe even some Rosanna Rosannadana to go with it. Or Belushi "No coke! PEPSI!" ... I miss the old SNL ... thanks for the laugh & trip down memory lane.

raul
raul 06/10/12 - 10:41 pm
@Khan'tB4Real. It's all good!

@Khan'tB4Real. It's all good! Ha. Gave me a good chuckle.

Techfan
Techfan 06/11/12 - 05:00 am
Maybe they moved the telethon

Maybe they moved the telethon because there was no audio on My12? You can easily follow sports on tv without the audio.

Techfan
Techfan 06/11/12 - 05:36 am
Well, more rain on the way.

Well, more rain on the way.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/12 - 07:29 am
Hahah B4Real

Just for B4Real & Riverman...where ever you are...very interesting posts last night......

Good am CSRA...& everybody running for Sheriff.:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/12 - 07:33 am
Pay??

What does the Sheriffs job pay in salary.......& what are the bennies that go with that job??

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/11/12 - 07:37 am
Techfan
Techfan 06/11/12 - 07:39 am
Well, the sun may come out.

Well, the sun may come out.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/11/12 - 07:58 am
Punday Jun 11th

I used to be a banker, but then I lost interest.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/12 - 08:11 am
Love them

Roundabouts are great...they are coming soon in your neck of the woods.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/12 - 08:32 am
Does this worry you..

Authorities used a thermal imaging device to detect a “hot spot” in the garage of James Brundige’s home on Club Drive

A thermal image to spot what humans are doing inside their home??

bigclaude
bigclaude 06/11/12 - 08:38 am
A little experiment concluded...Shame on you WGAC!!!

A rant to WGAC radio!! Although I really enjoy most of your programming....the local programming blocks are non stop commercial fests.

For years I have been thinking that there seemed to be an extreme amount of commercial time during the local programming so I decided to conduct a little experiment. During the morning show there were just under 37 minutes in an hour that weren't used for commericals, mentioning of sponsors, self promotion, or going over the call letters. In simpler terms: just under 4 out of every 10 minutes is commercials.

Austin's show might be even worse. The time when he was actually on the air and not pitching something was just over 24 minutes from the 5:00 to 6:00 hour.

Radio stations need sponsors to make money...I get that!! But when you have people like me who turn the station the minute a commercial comes on then what good does that do to your advertisers? I would be more inclined to listen to the ads if they had a reasonable amount of them, but as it is I just go the the next channel.

Does that bother anyone else who listens to that station?

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 08:52 am
Good Morning Tech. LOL.

Good Morning Tech. LOL.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 06/11/12 - 08:53 am
Oops,

you, too raul!

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/11/12 - 09:01 am

If you can't laugh at yourself and admit your mistakes when called out then you suck as a person! lol ... I'll always be the first to laugh at myself and admit when I am wrong.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/12 - 09:07 am
Me too B4Real

Thanks for the laughs & the posts last night....

now this strange...steal toothpicks!!

Toothpics

ATHENS, Ga. -- Who says toothpicks are not valuable?

Police in Georgia are trying to figure out who stole about 400,000 toothpicks worth nearly $3,000 from a manufacturer in Athens.

Each case contains 288 packages of 100 toothpicks.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/11/12 - 09:12 am
seeya later today

My hubby likes to eat so shopping I must go....:)

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/11/12 - 09:16 am
Yanni Concert

Re: the rant about Chatty Cathys at the Yanni concert. Did you complain about them? I took my daughter to a movie a few years ago, and a woman behind us with a 2 yr old disrupted the whole place. I complained and they were told to hold it down. I guess she knew I had complained and had a few words with me. She used the excuse of being 2. I don't give a rip. If your child can't behave ANYWHERE. Don't take them. And yes, 2 yr olds CAN behave....if they're taught to. Anyway, a movie is usually too long for a 2 yr old's attention span. Discipline, people.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/11/12 - 09:25 am
I'm with bigclaude although

I'm with bigclaude although my method of entertainment while driving is simple. No radio whatsoever. Mostly a vast wasteland of hate, misogyny, out right lies aimed at folks who need their opinions formed for them.

Information? My Garmin does a very good job for traffic updates, routes and even points of interest. The Sync system in my Mustang allows me to listen to my entire music library by genre, artist or whimsy on voice command even with the top down.

Local news? Why spoil a pleasant drive listening to bloviators opinions? I can catch the real news right here with the morning coffee.

In my and others opinion the commercial radio industry is an anachronism in it's death spiral. Ask the youngsters of today, how much they listen to it. Possibly the real reason you hear so much more advertising on the radio is to make up for lost revenues. The next generation is hip and smart business people are finding better ways to use their ad bucks

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/11/12 - 09:39 am
About radio

I listen to Boortz if I am in the car during his show. Aside from agreeing with him most of the time on politics, the show has entertainment value. Way back when, I listened to Limbaugh for the same reason; he had the environmental updates, NOW updates, etc. that were just hilarious.

It may be age, or diminished capacity, but now I listen to C&W more than anything else....

**Edit- With Boortz retiring, I guess it is FM for me. Herman is not entertaining.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/11/12 - 11:02 am
We often hear Augusta people

We often hear Augusta people say race shouldn’t matter when electing public officials. They will say vote for the person regardless of his race.

Yet, candidates run as Democrats because they want to be identified with the largest party in the county which is predominantly black. They say they are really conservatives, but have to run as Democrats to be elected. They are admitting race does matter and they are willing to compromise their principles to capture the black vote.

Let’s see them run as Republicans if they believe race shouldn’t matter.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/11/12 - 11:13 am
For CobaltGeorge, Jake,

For CobaltGeorge, Jake, Harley, Retired Army, and all Vietnam Veterans;

Techfan
Techfan 06/11/12 - 11:29 am
CD's or satellite radio for

CD's or satellite radio for me. The local stations are too corporate (most are owned by 3 companies) and preprogrammed. I've ranted (to my wife, bless her heart) about WGAC. We used to try to listen to Austin if there was a big breaking local story. Between news, weather, ads, ads, and more ads, Austin finally started the show at 14 min after, then there was another ad break before the half hour and they've gotten to the point where there's another ad break before the news. I forget the exact number, but we clocked 20 something minutes of actual show during the hour. They've gone beyond the point where I can tolerate to listen. Like Claude said above, I know they have to make money from the advertising, although I don't see how ad vertising to the point that they drive away listeners could be profitable in the long run. I guess they could just be looking forward to the demise of terrestrial radio and just making all they can while they can. I would imagine their age demographic skews pretty high as well, so they figure they'll make it before their listeners die off.

gagentleman
gagentleman 06/11/12 - 11:45 am
rain

its raining entierly to hard and causing some damage,i say we blame OBAMA for this because if this was REPUBLICAN rain it would be the most beautiful perfect sprinkle you have ever seen,hell i ll bet it would even have a dozen rainbows in it.

gagentleman
gagentleman 06/11/12 - 11:45 am
rain

gagentleman
gagentleman 06/11/12 - 11:45 am
rain

Fire Department raises sought

The Augusta Fire Depart­ment will present a pay raise proposal for firefighters and administrators to the county’s public safety committee Monday.