Rants & Raves

SEAT BELTS IN cars are not long enough to go around short, fat people who need to have the seat pulled up to reach the pedals. You cannot even get an addition at the garage or parts place, because I have tried.

I WISH SOMEONE would get the idea that we could use an open market here in south Augusta. We need to be able to get fresh vegetables. It would be a good thing and it would be profitable.

WHAT KIND OF MAN calls himself a preacher and takes a gun on visitation to a man’s house?

RAVE TO THE Augusta Chronicle. Thank you for publishing the articles from Walter Williams. Could you encourage him to run for vice president with Mitt Romney?

RANT TO ALVIN Mason. He should not be allowed to sit on the Augusta Commission. If it were anyone else, they would not be there.

I HAVE A FRIEND who doesn’t like the Rants & Raves; she doesn’t read them. But I think they are a lot of fun. They are the first thing I read every morning.

NORTH AUGUSTA needs to change the Carolina flag at the corner of Clifton and Georgia Avenue. It is barely blue at all.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO to run against Wade Padgett. We need a new judge in his place.

HOW CAN A DOCTOR charge you $1,900 for one tooth? I think that is ridiculous. You can’t have a beautiful smile without going poor.

I JUST GOT BACK from looking at the Vietnam Wall. There were two soldiers standing at either end of the wall in their dress-blue uniforms in over 90-degree temperature. Fort Gordon, you should be ashamed of yourselves. It is too hot out there. Get the troops out of the sun.

EVERYTHING IS MOVING to Columbia County. How about sending those Augusta Commission members who don’t know how to run anything? That will solve Richmond County’s problems real fast.

RAVES TO BARBARA Williams, of Augusta. She comes to Harlem every Friday night to teach us about God’s Holy Word. I feel the presence of God when I am in her presence.

I AM VERY SORRY for the 39-year-old gentleman who was shot in traffic the other day. To his friend who ran away, you are a coward. Your friend needs to look for better friends than you.

Jake
Jake 06/07/12 - 10:21 pm
#1 - Seat Belts

I was on a flight recently and a short, fat person was having trouble buckling up so the flight attendant gave him an extension so he could hook up. I think the idea is to not be short and fat but if you are then I am sure you could order a seat belt extension on-line.

#2 - I find it hard to believe that the Augusta area does not have an open air Farmers Market since things grow so well there.

#3 - I tell you what kind of preacher packs heat for visitation, one who is not inspired by Matthew & John but by Smith & Wesson.

DamnYankee
DamnYankee 06/07/12 - 10:38 pm
Jake - Hit the nail on the head

I applaud Jake for not only being the first post but also tellin' it like it is.

Thanks for the chuckles!

allhans
allhans 06/07/12 - 11:03 pm
Jake..Augusta does have a

Jake..Augusta does have a farmers market . It is near the fairgrounds off Gordon Hwy.
I assume it's still there. Haven't been for a while.

seenit..Thanks for the info yesterday. I actually never knew. I need to go in that direction more.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/07/12 - 11:49 pm
Here ya go; seat belt

Here ya go; seat belt extender for $10.79 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Black-seat-belt-extention-extender-FOR-most-...

I HOPE you were not suggesting we legislate to cover 100% of the scenarios. It would be anarchy.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/07/12 - 11:55 pm
Jake, the farmer's market has

Jake, the farmer's market has dwindled to almost nothing. Roadside stands and the fact it is in a sketchy part of town have doomed it. We could use something like the Dekalb Market in Atlanta. http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/ydfmtour.htm

countyman
19178
countyman 06/08/12 - 03:13 am
If you want to be truly

If you want to be truly honest then everything is really moving to West Augusta.. I don't live in West Augusta either so I have no connection to the area..

1. Coscto is open, and the 115 acre Village at Riverwatch still has plenty of available land..
2. They're building 240 upscale apartments on Mason Mcknighty Pkwy near Carmax.. I'm sure the new residential at Wheeler Town Park will attract new retail, restaurants, etc...
3. The Augusta Exchange area is a BEAST; Tin Drum Asia Cafe in the Romas shopping center, Exchange Lane(new road), 5 acre lot Savannah River Bank subdivision, Home2suites by Hilton at 3606 Exchange Lane, Ulta, Tutti Frutti expansion, Residence Inn by Marriott at 110 Marks Church rd, residential at 1213 Augusta West Pkwy, Mcdonalds at 3646 Wheeler rd, construction behind Buffalo Wild Wings, and the 7k sq. ft. commercial center at 3670 Wheeler rd(Dunkin Donuts one of the tenants).....
4. Kroger will build two 4k sq. ft. retail buildings on the former Sonic/car wash properties, and new access road..
5... I won't inlcude Belair rd, Jimmie Dyess, and Gordon(btw Jimmie Dyess-Grovetown) because it would be too much... The 25 acre shopping center and 10k sq. ft. Shoppes at Dyess Park will help create the next shopping area.. Plus this area should be called Southwest Augusta compared to West Augusta anyway... They actually live closer to Glenn Hills, but attend ARC...

I didn't even mention the purchasing of the Regal Village theatre in the Augusta West Plaza, the former Flying Cowboy aka Famous Daves(Washington rd) is under leased, or the Walmart coming to Wrightsboro rd...

wildman
wildman 06/08/12 - 04:53 am
Just Because

Judge Wade Padgett is one of the best, if he is replaced it's because he will take a higher judgeship. He will have my support.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/08/12 - 05:00 am
I think it'd be great if

I think it'd be great if Columbia County did have a Farmer's market! And, county, I agree with you about all the build-up in West Augusta versus Columbia County.
And the person who asked about what kind of a man calls himself a preacher, yet carries a gun on visitation?? He's a WISE man...just because he's preaching the Word doesn't mean he doesn't know who he's talking to. You don't think Jesus was on guard when he entered the "pit of vipers"? No, He wasn't "packin'", but then again, He didn't have to.

Chuck Odom
Chuck Odom 06/08/12 - 05:51 am
The Barnyard Flea Market has

The Barnyard Flea Market has at least two vendors that sell fresh fruits and vegetables. There are also lots of other things you can get there (new and used). It is pretty much an open air mall and it is located in South Augusta.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 06/08/12 - 07:19 am
You are welcome allhans

Yes mamm...There are plenty of nice things going on in South Augusta.....ya can't believe all the crap you read sometimes.....

They could use more fresh markets though....now that is a great idea for someone doncha think......maybe in a good location on a major highway...make some money & make healthy food available at the same time...

I read the rants/raves first thing too reader.....fun-sassy people on here....some could be paid comics ..hahah----you should meet them in person---characters you wouldn't forget!!

good am troublemakers

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 06/08/12 - 07:21 am
Chuck

Nice pic Chuck.....what street is the Barnyard on in South Augusta??

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 06/08/12 - 07:25 am
Moving to West Augusta

countyman says things are moving to W Augusta---well by dangy they are.....some lawyers know that already....hmmmm....lawyers know stuff.....could be the "new" Augusta....the place to be...:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/08/12 - 08:17 am
Good Morning America and AC

@1 - Answered by Jake & day1
@2 - Chuck has it right. I never buy cardboard veggies from roadside vendors.
@3 - JMO, you covered it, "He's a WISE man"
@4 - Ok, but I believe there are better choices out there.
@5 - ?
@6 - Can't please everybody all the time.
@7 - I'll Second that.
@8 - Ah, someone has had a run in with Wade Padgett.
@9 - Haven't you ever heard of a Million Dollar Smile.
@10 - He/she, let me assure you they weren't complaining, they have experience worst and I know they were feeling honored and proud.
@11 - Question, Does anybody really want to solve Richmond County problems? A little less corruption could.
@12 - Another happy true believing Christian.
@13 - Much can be said, but none said may be best.

Have 12 Acres of grass to cut and a lot of Roundup to put out. y'all Rumble.

seenitB4
81914
seenitB4 06/08/12 - 08:28 am
Rumble??

Some of us are getting age on us Cgee....I think I'll just ramble outside & water my flowers....see yall...

David Parker
David Parker 06/08/12 - 09:27 am
Farmer's Market at the bulk

Farmer's Market at the bulk head. I am assuming the vendors use produce grown on their property or farm versus loading up some boxes on Laney Walker and just delivering them to the bulk head. It's still not South Augusta though.

CM has an impressive list of West Augusta/CC progress. Let's flip it and list Augusta's plans:

Merged Universy
Walmart on 15th
The Miller Theatre rennovation
Augusta Convention Center (TEE)
Riverwatch-to-Broad bypass is too awesome. Thanks
Laney Walker district rehab
The RC BOE move to downtown facility
New Library
Kroc Center

This is the short list. I bet there are other items on the horizon or that I forgot. I've lived in CC my entire life and I see both communities growing. Something is working and nobody can deny it.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/08/12 - 09:40 am
Good Morning

There is an open air market on Davis Road, Martinez.

There is also a very nice market in Greensboro, Ga., just a short ride. It's local stuff.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 10:12 am
seenitB4

Doug Barnard Parkway.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 10:19 am
c'man

Is Costco in West Augusta??????

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/08/12 - 10:23 am
#1 - Seat Belts Seat belt

#1 - Seat Belts

Seat belt extensions are available at most dealerships.

Costco is located just off Riverwatch Pkwy. near I-20. I think it is considered to be West Augusta.

Jake
Jake 06/08/12 - 10:32 am
Farmers Market

I remember the old Farmers Market downtown from long ago but not many people would go, for whatever reason.
Out here there are quite a few Farmers Markets on various days of the week. Other than fresh produce, organic or otherwise, they sell local cheese, wine, fish, sausages, bread and arts & crafts. There is also local music from the schools and other groups. Peruvian music is one of my favorites.
If, by chance, any of you fellow posters ever plan to venture to the Bay Area then let me know on here and I can suggest some places off the beaten track that you might like based upon your interests.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/08/12 - 10:35 am
The "shift" to West Augusta,

The "shift" to West Augusta, Martinez, and Evans jas been going on for years. Today, even Grovetown and Appling are enjoying the flow of new residents. Telling it like it is, is just being honest, and the honesty is that people want to live in the best part of any community they can afford.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/08/12 - 10:37 am
I would love to visit there

I would love to visit there again, Jake. I have very fond memories of the Bay Area and points south. Memories will have to do for now.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/08/12 - 11:28 am
I wish I had known sooner

I wish I had known sooner Jake. My 80 yo mother, her baby sister, and sister's two adult children were just out there. They did the Chicago to Frisco scenic train ride, and spent a few days kicking around out there doing the tourist thing.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/08/12 - 11:33 am
Barnyard Flea Market

I believe it is on DBP @ the intersection with I-520 on the NW side.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/08/12 - 11:52 am
How about it RC. Are you

How about it RC. Are you property owners going to sit quietly while the Augusta commission robs you on the garbage fees? I cannot believe there is not more of an uproar over this blantant theft of our money. If you take this you will take anything. Folks, you are going to be charged $320 for a $180 service. What's wrong with this picture? Who is going to get the big wad of extra money? Is Mark Johnson getting ready to pass out some pay raises at the garbage dump? Did he buy stock in CNG garbage truck manufacturers? Is this a way for the commissioners and the administrator to raise revenues and still be able to claim they didn't raise our taxes? When you pay for a municipal service the price is supposed to be tied to the actual cost of the service. This is bill on you property taxes and paid with your property taxes. It IS a tax and this is a TAX INCREASE. Mandatory municipal services are not supposed to be a profit center for government.

Garbage collection service is a good thing. But the problem with OUR garbage service is that the price we are charged is not tied to the actual cost of the service. THEY have tried to frame this as an issue of once a week vs. twice a week service. The real issue is why will we be paying the rate for twice a week service and only get once a week service. In other words, if we are going to get once a week service, half the service we are currently getting, the price should go down.....WAY DOWN......closer to half what we have been paying. Neither Mark Johnson, our administrator, nor any of our illustrious commissioners have given us a reason why we should be paying double the acutal cost.

I remember standing up in front of a public meeting on the "mandatory garbage service" years ago and telling the commissioners that were present that we did not trust them to control the costs of the contracts. We all know that they are incapable of managing ANYTHING. Austin Rhodes chose to call me names and make fun of me the next day on his radio program. Well Austin, I may not be an eloquent public speaker....but I was right....and you were a jerk. When you publicly ridicule people who take the time to attend public meetings about a pending government action, regardless of their opinion or how they present it, you discourage others from speaking their minds. Yes, you embarrassed me.......but I didn't care because I knew I was right and you......you were wrong both in your position and your action. Our commission cannot be trusted to control the cost of anything. And once they make something "mandatory" they start looking at it as a revenue stream.

Jake
Jake 06/08/12 - 12:00 pm
Bay Area

@Sarge, you were at Ft Ord weren't you? It is now closed but I hear it is a great park with a really nice golf course.

@itsanotherday1, I have always wanted to do the train from here to the east coast but you have to allot extra time. My wife and I did a train trip in the Canadian Rockies for our honeymoon and it was a lot of fun.

countyman
19178
countyman 06/08/12 - 01:14 pm
Carmax, Sams, Costco, etc are

Carmax, Sams, Costco, etc are located in Richmond County... The Martinez portion of Washington rd is really the area between Pleasant Home rd and Club Car.. Bobby Jones Expressway(Sams, Home Depot, Ruby Tuesday, Rooms To Go, etc = Richmond County)(Walmart, Golden Corral, etc = Columbia County).....

The entire portion of the Village at Riverwatch is located in Richmond County... Sombeboy would have to travel down Riverwatch Parkway going past Baston rd/Furys Ferry, or make a right onto Furys Ferry heading towards Earthfare to enter Columbia County... The overwhelmingly majority of Riverwatch Pkwy and Stevens Creek rd are located in West Augusta...

I do believe a portion of Wheeler Town Park(if the name didn't change) lies within Columbia County(some of the land between Carmax and Flowing Wells rd)... Martinez can really use some new commercial growth, because Evans is growing due to the Taxslayer headquarters, fitness center, etc...

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/08/12 - 12:26 pm
Costco

Costco is in Augusta, off of Riverwatch Parkway. I don't consider that west Augusta, but Augusta. West Augusta, for some reason was been traditionally considered past I-20 towards Westlake and included Martinez and also Evans area, even though I personally consider Evans, Evans, and not Augusta. Many locals have considered Evans and Martinez west Augusta for decades, and for that matter, anything west of Westside High School. It doesn't strictly coincide with the ordinals; it has more to do with how and when the areas developed.

Chuck Odom
Chuck Odom 06/08/12 - 12:27 pm
Thanks seenitb4, I really

Thanks seenitb4, I really need to update it. The Barnyard Flea Market is just off Bobby Jones (exit 10) on Doug Barnard Parkway. A lot of red-roof buildings. You can't miss it.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/08/12 - 12:31 pm
Defining the borders of

Defining the borders of Martinez-West Augusta is always interesting. It's a nebulous, ill defined, two county area made up generally of similar folks who have a good income. The crime rate in that area is not high and Westside High School is nice. Only a few miles separate Westside HS from Lakeside HS.