Rants & Raves

UPCOMING BALLOT questions: Don’t force political parties on voters. Limit education board members to one two-year term. Make elections of sheriff, etc., be nonpartisan. Even though it’s disgusting, don’t ban smoking. That just makes us all a bit more UN-free. If horse race gambling can be done guaranteeing the mob can’t move in, do it. Since there’s no such guarantee, don’t. Don’t use taxpayer money to move families out of Hyde Park subdivision.

“Universities get more money.” Why? Nobody learns any more. It just provides more absurdly high pay for admin and favored profs.

RICHMOND COUNTY’S population is 201,000. There are 140 school bus drivers. An average 28 drivers lay out each day. Unemployment is 9.9 percent. Something is wrong with the folks who hire, or is there just not anyone responsible in Richmond County?

AS FOR THE TALK about downtown not being lively enough without special sports events or festivals: Even without the Tee Hee Center and on-air parking, there is space to hold events at Augusta Common or by renting spaces like at Marbury Center, the former firehouse.

WAY TO GO, Tommy Burnley. Tell it like it is. McDuffie politics at work again

RANT AGAINST THE ranter who stated, “If Paine College is having problems everyone in Augusta should help to solve the problems ...” You must be kidding. Those of us in Augusta have no obligation whatsoever to help clear up the mess that Paine got itself into.

THE U.S. HOUSE is thinking about voting to give the U.N. power to regulate the Internet. Do our own leaders play the traitor?

RANT TO THE Chronicle. Georgia Tech wins the ACC Baseball Tournament as the eighth seed – first time in history. Yet The Chronicle can only manage three column inches on the last page of the sports section. What do you bet the Dawgs would have been on the front page with color pictures ... if only they weren’t losers this year?

RANT TO SCONYERS Bar-B-Cue for running a FaceBook page that has nothing to do with the restaurant, but all to do with soliciting Facebook “likes” for some politician. I know Mr. Sconyers is in politics, but it has nothing to do with running a quality restaurant. What they are doing is tacky to say the least.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 04:59 am
Rave #1

Yea yea for horse racing....yeh bring it oooonnn-----& the rant about Sconyers Barbecue promoting a candidate...dang--I can't find it---would someone pls put it on here for me---pretty please....cause I like the man he promotes...yeehaw!!
Great barbecue btw......makes me happy..

Good am to all the troublemakers.....even the ones from Crawfordville--heh heh

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 05:09 am
Crawfordville

A sweet little town....many movies have been made there......well worth the visit.......some info. on it

Yea...GOB knows the folks there.....loves them too!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/05/12 - 05:14 am
B4

Good Morning to you too...am I a troublemaker in your book?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/05/12 - 05:17 am
@5

I agree with Rant 5. Too bad PC has been the problem of Paine College.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/05/12 - 05:20 am
@2

I think the lack of Responsibility in the humans hired is you answer.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 05:21 am
Haha

Whatchu mean jellybean---I show so much love for you that gob wonders about it!!!
You are a sweet bit of trouble.......the kind a woman wants.....:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/05/12 - 05:24 am
Gee

How can any man resist you!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 05:26 am
The town in Ga

I know you call your place Crawfordville but I was speaking about the tiny town right off of I-20.......birthplace of many importants through the history of Georgia......

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 05:29 am
Resist

aaahhh---awwww---in my younger days they did have trouble Cgee....now ...well it is a different story...heh heh

You know the old saying----If I only knew then what I know now..haha

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/05/12 - 05:32 am
Crawfordville

Your right, My house is located where the old Crawford Plantation home was. I have the history of when it was Crawford and the remains of the old Crawford Place Road still remains across Cobalt Park.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 05:33 am
Boortz

ATLANTA — Conservative talk radio host Neal Boortz is retiring after four decades at the microphone and being replaced by former GOP presidential hopeful Herman Cain.

Boortz said during his show Monday his last day will be Jan. 21, 2013, the day of the presidential inauguration.

The 67-year-old Boortz said he is in good health and plans to enjoy retirement by traveling with his wife. They plan to spend eight months on the road after his retirement.

Gob loves to listen to this guy....but I can't blame him for leaving----too many work til death.....you need to enjoy life some.....travel while you can & etc.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/05/12 - 06:23 am
Cain Side

Boortz Passes Torch to Friend, Colleague Herman Cain
Inauguration Day Brings Another Big Change – To National Radio

For Immediate Release:
June 4, 2012

(Atlanta) Businessman and former presidential frontrunner Herman Cain will take full-time command of the Neal Boortz microphone when Boortz officially retires this January. Boortz announced on his show this morning that he will step down after 42 years on the air, citing a desire to spend time with his family.
“It has been a great ride, but it’s time for me and my wife Donna to hit the road and travel in ways that thus far have been impossible,” said Boortz. “As my listeners know, we love traveling, and the restraints created by my daily radio show commitment have kept us on a rather short leash.”

Cain acknowledged the mark Boortz has made over those 42 years. "Neal has spent his career serving as a bold, vocal advocate of what is right in this world, and condemning that which is not. I promise the torch Boortz is handing off to me will blaze as bright, as bold, and as loud as ever."

Not only will Cain inherit Neal’s microphone, he’ll also inherit the Boortz syndicated radio audience. The show currently airs on more than 200 radio stations, with six million listeners a week.
“I am ecstatic that Neal has kept the radio host's chair warm for me all these years," Cain joked. “He may be ‘The TalkMaster,’ but Neal's listeners know I’m the 'The Dean of the University of Common Sense.’”

Cain formerly hosted a radio show on News/Talk WSB in Atlanta prior to his run for the presidency, a qualification Dan Kearney, Vice President and Market Manager of News/Talk WSB, said adds to the impressive list of reasons Cain is the logical successor for Neal.
“Cain is very well known, passionate about his beliefs, not afraid to speak his mind – and our listeners have shown they love him” Kearney said. “We’re thrilled at his return.”

Boortz’s last day hosting The Neal Boortz Show will be January 18, 2013. Cain will launch his nationally syndicated radio show on January 21, 2013 – Inauguration Day. Until then, Cain will continue joining Boortz for their Monday and Friday 10:35am ET segments, and will remain as Boortz’ primary fill-in host.

In addition to the new gig, Cain today revealed his revamped website, www.hermancain.com. Visitors to the site will be treated to new features, previews of upcoming, exciting events, and a refreshed, easy-to-navigate update to his previous website.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 07:22 am
Rose colored glasses

We are looking through rose colored glasses if we think we can get out of spending without some pain.....I'd rather have some pain now than have the rug pulled out from under us in a few years from now...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/05/12 - 07:46 am
Rose colored glasses

Thing is, nobody is willing to give up their sacred cows to share in that pain. I'm talking both sides of the political aisle.

allhans
allhans 06/05/12 - 07:57 am
Rant 6...What are you talking

Rant 6...What are you talking about?
The truth is that The House is warning about the DANGER!

From news reports:
"According to The Hill, the House will bring it up in hearings next week to call attention to this dangerous new idea coming out of communist nations like China and Russia.

Trouble
Trouble 06/05/12 - 08:02 am
morning

morning all

boortz passes the torch to herman cain, sounds like a good choice to me....

allhans
allhans 06/05/12 - 08:18 am
There are several comments on

There are several comments on this (Boortz-Cain) in yesterdays edition if some are still interested.

allhans
allhans 06/05/12 - 08:27 am
Sconyer is promoting someone

Sconyers FB page is promoting someone by the name of Martin....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/05/12 - 08:39 am
Rants about barbecue?? heh....it is not about barbecue/is it

What Sanders' candidacy is showing, is that some of the most powerful political factions in Richmond County are fracturing. Sconyers' support of Sanders shows that The Southside may not be solidly behind Silas after all. The fact that The Augusta Chronicle is trying its best to shoot torpedoes at Sanders' candidacy early on shows that a schism has developed on The Hill and Westside. Despite what they may say via Sylvia Coopers' column, The Chronicle see Sanders as a threat.. and that's why they have started to attack him early and characterize his campaign as an exercise in futility. It's not a big secret that The Morris owned Chronicle is backing Peebles.. as is Mayor Copenhaver, Clay Boardman, and some other powerful names from the Augusta business community as evidenced from Peebles announcement event in front of the courthouse. Some political observers see that as an indication that Peebles is the chosen candidate of The Cabal.

But Sanders will get lots of support from The Hill and Westside, and with the help of Sconyers, he could make big inroads on The Southside as well. One thing we know for sure is that the powerful political machines are not coalescing behind one candidate of their own.. and what this shows is that these political machines have fractured... and this Sheriff's race could be the first big proof of that.***

The political machines have fractured......let the games begin!!!!

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/05/12 - 09:12 am
The race for Barrow's

The race for Barrow's Congressional seat is heating up with Rick Allen going after Wright McLeod hard with complaints of rules violations. Is Lee Anderson going to be the beneficiary of the fighting between those two? This is starting to be an interesting race for this national office. I'm sure they are all working hard to turn out their voters.

allhans
allhans 06/05/12 - 09:49 am
seenit..I didn't see anything

seenit..I didn't see anything on the Sconyers FB page promoting anyone but Martin. I could have missed something, though.

The signs in my area (Forest Hills) are mainly for Allen and Peebles...On my visit this morning to the pharmacy on Monte Sano I saw several for each.
Politically things are really quiet. My daughter lives at Bransford and Lake Forest and is the hard nosed conservative, TEA Party type, and she says she likes Peebles, does not like Sanders, but can't bring herself to vote for a Democrat....so who knows.
I don't think Sanders has put out signs yet.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/05/12 - 10:01 am
Punday Jun 5th: When you get

Punday Jun 5th:

When you get a bladder infection urine trouble.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 06/05/12 - 10:43 am
Good morning, Posters! Hope

Good morning, Posters! Hope everyone has a great day with no "bladder infections." Been there, had surgery, no fun! You guys be nice to one another, while I go get s chemo treatment. While I'm dozing, I'll try to think of something interesting to put on the table here. See ya!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 06/05/12 - 10:46 am
Good morning seenit, CG and everyone else

You know I can't think of one thing in the R and R's to comment on this morning. I haven't had any Bar-B-Q from Sconyers yet but if SeenitB4 likes it thats good enough for me. I might have to check it out. I've been meaning to for 5 years.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/05/12 - 11:01 am
I kind of liked Ole Larry

I kind of liked Ole Larry Sconyers when he was mayor. He kept things in line by bringing the Commission to his restaurant all the time for free dinners at get togethers. There was a method to his madness and he certainly looked out for the outlying county. If you could keep him awake at meetings he was fun.

harley_52
harley_52 06/05/12 - 11:31 am
Best of luck, Sargebaby.

Best of luck, Sargebaby. Hope it goes well.

clayhill
clayhill 06/05/12 - 12:37 pm
Rant to the unions and

Rant to the unions and Democrats in Wisconsin for trying to vote out Gov. Walker. Obama says that we need to pay our fair share, so why don't you contribute to your entitlements instead of relying on the tax payers? The Dems and unions want it just one way.

whyme
whyme 06/05/12 - 02:18 pm
Fairness?

Publishing the rant against Sconyers' Barbecue was a surprise-I guess because it wasn't about the service at the place itself but it could still garner a negative image. I have tried a number of times to get a rant against a business published and either it hasn't happened or have been blocked from even including it in the comments section. I make efforts to give raves as often as I can when appropriate, even to the point of complimenting a store employee to the manager, but I also try to let the business know if something has not gone well. If we are going to let one negative comment about a business through, then others should be permitted as well, if not as a rant, then in the comment sections. And again, it's all in the approach-keep it intelligent, professional, and pertinent.

Cadence
Cadence 06/05/12 - 02:22 pm
Praying for Sarge

I didn't know you were facing a challenge, Sarge. My prayers are with you daily. Hate to hear Boortz go even though I don't often get to hear his show. Cain let me down. I trusted him and spoke up to my friends and relatives on his behalf, only to find another Bill Clinton lurking under his good guy facade. Serious disappointment. I don't have to listen to him, though.