Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

HUGE RAVE TO Shirley Christie, David Hartmann and Denice Traina for establishing gardens and teaching residents how to grow their own healthful foods in the Bethlehem, Central Park and Harrisburg communities.

A RAVE FOR THE preschool teacher’s honesty. I think other readers missed her whole point. The gifts were “meaningless” and perfunctory without thought or care. I am a former teacher, and I always dreaded Teacher Appreciation Week in my school. Parents would dump the same old No. 1 Teacher coffee mugs and note pads on me year after year, and I was expected to exclaim over them and to glow with gratitude. I would much rather have had a homemade crayon drawing from the child instead of a mass-market mug made in China. Or better yet, parents, just get your children to do their homework on a regular basis. Now that would be a gift.

BIG RAVES TO the Community Service Program of the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office with special praise for Sgts. Massey, Canterbury and Wheeler. Their comprehensive instruction in firearm safety, legal aspects and actual firearm training is exceptional. I recommend this program to all adult citizens of Columbia County and thank each and every member of the large staff that aided every participant.

A BIG RANT TO WHOEVER thought of time off or suspension with pay was a punishment. That is nothing but paid vacation ... but only people who work for county, state or federal are eligible for this punishment.

I SAW ON THE front page the other day that it has been decided on what day we will win the war in Afghanistan. On the back page there were headlines warning North Korea about nuclear testing. Exactly what has North Korea to fear from us? Are they afraid that we will forcibly enter their country and spend billions of dollars “to win their hearts and minds”?

I JUST QUIT MY JOB. I plan on getting assistance and EBT. Don’t I get a free cellphone, too? What time does the welfare department open? Obama, you might get my vote next time.

RAVES TO CARRIE at Salvation Army in Augusta. I have worked with her by phone while I get my house there cleaned out, and she is wonderful, very professional yet kind and considerate, too. They have a great employee there!

Jake
Jake 06/02/12 - 07:18 pm
#7

If that isn't a "plant" then I don't know what is. Lame.

#2 - Parents, that is why they have gift cards so you can give them to unappreciative teachers.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/02/12 - 07:51 pm
Market Downtown

Went to the market on Riverwalk for the first time today. It's also the last time. Everything is overpriced, and not home-grown or vine ripened either, as claimed. But my biggest gripe? DOGS. WHY do people bring their dogs to things like this?? Several were snarling, growling and barking. There are small children there..no place for dogs. Please leave them at home! I have two dogs, love dogs. But dogs do not belong at events such as this. I hope the "powers-that-be will take a good long look at this. You CAN ban them, you know.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/02/12 - 09:51 pm
"TO THE PERSON inquiring

"TO THE PERSON inquiring about What-A-Burger, it is now on Walton Way and is called Olde Time Burgers."

Are the hamburgers any good? In fact let's get something important done today. A report from real people-posters-on the best burgers in Augusta. Maybe we can tempt Jake back for a visit. How about for grins and giggles we classify them to local owned mom and pops homestyle vs. chained factory and mega fast food?

Chained Fast Food-Carolina Ale House is pretty hard to beat although there is good competition from Denny's when you get the old fashioned milkshake to go with it.

Mega Fast Food-A Wendy's double or triple hands down although the bacon could be a little thicker.

Local Owned Mom & Pops Homestyles? Sports bar and Grill used to have a pretty good one, The Rack and Grill pool hall, Ruth's on Washington rd and I'm not sure if they fit the category but the Evan's Diner does well.

No turkey or tofu burgers allowed.

janderson1945
1923
janderson1945 06/03/12 - 12:37 am
Burgers

Sports Bar & Grill if you can handle the smoke (the wife says no) or you can go to Rhinehart's.

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/03/12 - 03:04 am
garys is still pretty good.

garys is still pretty good. olde tyme is good too. doesn't taste the same on the new grill though.

truth_be_told
truth_be_told 06/03/12 - 06:04 am
great burgers

The Rack and Grill pool hall on 56 is the bomb

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/03/12 - 06:51 am
the snug had a pretty good

the snug had a pretty good burger back in the day too. aint been there in over a decade tho

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/03/12 - 06:59 am
Law & order here...

Yea yea....I can't think about hamburgers right now....too much crime in my area.....the FBI says more to follow after the big shakeup of our county commish this week....wow...more to go......what happened to honesty....

Not only that it seems a 3-some that caused a death in this county just paid off big time for the guys family...in millions

Sooo...which way to go----right/left.....good guy--bad guy......

Good am troublemakers..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/03/12 - 07:07 am
Love a good what-a-burger

I will say this...I do love whataburgers BUT the best food is at French Market Grill....seafood po-boys will beat a burger any day of the week.

Put a cajun martini with it * that will make your toes tingle!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/03/12 - 07:10 am
Rave #1

Thank you to the group that is helping others grow healthy food from the gardens......you can't beat home grown tomatoes---okra--corn--squash--peppers...etc. Good luck & keep up the good work.

harley_52
harley_52 06/03/12 - 07:33 am
Side Track Bar and Grill is

Side Track Bar and Grill is pretty good.

harley_52
harley_52 06/03/12 - 07:33 am
Malibu Jack's is good too.

Malibu Jack's is good too.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/03/12 - 07:55 am
Nice new opinion column with

Nice new opinion column with Joe Hotchkiss.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/03/12 - 08:05 am
#2

#2, I think you missed the point; the teacher should not have publicly griped about it. She (he?)would have been much better served to follow your ideas and just send a note home requesting "no gifts be purchased. Instead, have your child draw a picture for me" or some other project that she felt was meaningful.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/03/12 - 08:12 am
Rhinehart's sandwiches are

Rhinehart's sandwiches are all super.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/03/12 - 08:17 am
The poolroom in Edgefield has

The poolroom in Edgefield has had stories written about their hotdogs. I had a couple there and I can see why they have such a great reputation.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/03/12 - 08:24 am
To khan't B4Real

I hope you join us again...I like your freshness....your spark....your knowledge.........we need new blood on here.....hehheh

seeya.....attention needed at this olehouse...wake up Cgee..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/03/12 - 08:36 am
itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/03/12 - 08:48 am
BamaMan

Dogs aren't the issue, it is dog owners. You won't even notice well behaved pooches. Perhaps a roaming officer kicking people out when they bring unsociable animals would be more fair? After all, we don't want to be in the habit of punishing the many for the sins of the few do we? We already have WAY too much of that.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/03/12 - 09:26 am
Good Day America...It still is America, Right?

What chue mean, wake up Cgee! by 6:30, done my S - S - S and had a bowl of Cheerooo's. I then pulled a Frontal Attack throughout this adobe on those there things that put up them there hair nets in every corner. My weapon said dead for a year...we'll see.

Hey harley, the Side Track was my home away from home for many years, the original owner was something else, but he sure could put together a hamburger. Haven't been there in about 4 years but if you let me know, I'll meet you there.

I now have to drive in around 75 fertilizer stakes around all the Da.. Trees the CIC his planted. I don't know why she is trying to kill me, I don't have an insurance policy.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/03/12 - 09:30 am
I agree, JohnBrown reference

I agree, JohnBrown reference the poolroom in Edgefield. Fabulous burgers as well, not to mention the different atmosphere. It's a favorite of ours when biking.

Jane18
Jane18 06/03/12 - 09:32 am
R&R #5

I agree with the ranter on this. It is one more stupid thing that "government" has allowed and us poor ole' tax-payers just keep on paying, and paying, and.............................

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/03/12 - 09:33 am
Befor I go, lets have a

Before I go, lets have a little Johnny Cash

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/03/12 - 09:33 am
Hair nets

CeeGee, let me know if you have any luck. I have so many that dirt daubers have become a nuisance, building nests under the deck and filling them with spiders faster than I can keep them knocked down.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/03/12 - 09:38 am
Itsanotherdsy is spot on

Itsanotherdsy is spot on about the teacher and pets. Manners are important.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/03/12 - 09:43 am
Willow, about the Edgefield

Willow, about the Edgefield Poolroom, it appeared many of the townspeople downtown working have lunch there. Great place, anything but a chain style restaurant.

iLove
iLove 06/03/12 - 10:17 am
Gripe?

Isn't that what OTHERS do....why can't a teacher do the same?

I understand the teachers issue. Does the thoughtless gift show that you care? Teachers jobs a hard enough....you don't have to ridicule them too.

keeanzia
keeanzia 06/03/12 - 10:17 am
coffee mug & note pad situation

A simple "no thank you" will suffice; after a while, parents will get the message.

omnomnom
omnomnom 06/03/12 - 10:33 am
"it is my firm belief that

"it is my firm belief that our city should have as its goal the purpose of sending a resounding message to all those who visit our community that our economic prosperity is measured in equal proportion to our giving spirit."
Deke Copenhaver-State of the City of Augusta address 2007

Well. That explains the Costco deal & the city courting Ripken.

Jake
Jake 06/03/12 - 11:15 am
Burgers

I have not had a burger in Augusta in a long time. I don't know if they are still around but Gooney's pool hall near the Gordon Hwy and Highland Ave used to make a very good burger with ice cold beer and a frosted mug.