Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG THANK YOU to the nice man who works on the lawn care crew by Five Guys in Evans. Thank you so much for taking a minute and helping me with my car. You are an angel.

WHY IS THE YMCA Day Camp held outside? The temperature in Georgia gets up to 100, and these kids 5-6 are expected to stay outside. The only water available for them is from a faucet in the outhouse. Move the kids back to the 6,000-square-foot facility.

I TRULY APPRECIATED the paper publishing several prayers submitted by our community online when we had the National Day of Prayer. Why not continue this practice daily and use half the space used for Rants & Raves,” certainly a more productive use of our space and time.

IT IS INTERESTING that the president was blamed when the gas prices spiked and now that the prices are falling there’s not a peep out you ranters. What was that all about?

CITY OF THOMSON, why hire an interim police chief? What is the purpose of the assistant chief? A waste of taxpayers’ money.

KUDOS TO DR. THOMAS – The best principal ever at HMS.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how a man who has spent the last 30 years trying to get criminals off from crimes (including a commissioner) now wants to be the head lawman in the county.

IF THE SHERIFF’S office can’t curtail the accidents on Mike Padgett Highway, the Georgia State Patrol should take over. It is a Georgia highway. It might cut down on some of these deaths.

I THINK THAT IF they are going to cut the garbage pickup from twice a week to once a week then the price ought to be cut. Why should we pay the same amount of money when we are getting half of the pickup? It should be half the price as well.

BECAUSE (STUDENTS) did not pass the end-of-the-year test does not mean they can’t walk across that stage to get their certificate of attendance. They earned that right just like anybody else did.

RANT TO THE PEOPLE who speed and tailgate on Walton Way. Learn the speed limit. With all the blind driveways, a school zone and drivers who need to turn onto Arsenal Avenue and into ASU, trying to go 55 mph and riding the tail of the car in front of you is just asking for an accident.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/02/12 - 04:44 pm
Cursing on the phone at the library.

First a woman was snorting like some kind of heavy earth-moving equipment every 30 seconds. Then this guy at one of the computer desks just moved from one computer to the next and at both desks he has been on his CELL PHONE cursing loudly at somebody. Shouldn't someone remind him about the signs EVERYWHERE saying NO cell phones! I thought that was bad enough but a woman with a baby that has made an awful squirting sound several times is spending energy banging on the keyboard that should be spent changing that baby's diaper before everyone in the building starts gagging. I will be glad when I can use my own computer again. No wonder people dread coming to the library.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 04:44 pm
CG, the "health care bill"

CG, the "health care bill" didn't require a 2/3 supermajority.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 04:52 pm
I know harley, just using it

I know harley, just using it as an example (poor one) at that on all the behind door deals that he has pulled off.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 04:53 pm
dstewartsr.....it's my

dstewartsr.....it's my understanding that the U.S. has never ratified the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea. We comply with it voluntarily, but are under no legal obligation to do so. I don't see a similarity between that Convention and a U.N. treaty disallowing U.S. citizens to own firearms. Do you?

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 04:55 pm
I understand CG, but I'm with

I understand CG, but I'm with you....I'm not giving up my guns on the unconstitutional whim of anybody.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 04:57 pm
dstewartsr/harley

I didn't mean to post propaganda, just forget it.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 05:08 pm
Didn't sound like

Didn't sound like "propaganda" to me CG, sounded like your opinion which you are most certainly entitled to hold and state. Besides, I agree....

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 05:15 pm
Sorry harley, just too many

Sorry harley, just too many "Reserves". It just produces a Paranoia effect. I still say the Handwriting is on the Wall.

Jake 06/02/12 - 05:17 pm
@CG

The answer to your felony question is NO.

AL, why do you torture yourself with trips to the library? Every post you make about the library always involves some crisis with rude behaviour. Get a laptop and go to a quiet place that has free wi-fi if cable is not in your budget.

As far as guns are concerned, I don't see anyone losing their freedom to own a weapon. Seems like there is a plethora of weapons available to whoever wants to own one. Here is when gun owners (and the public in general) need to start being afraid, when you start seeing a visual military presence in our streets to "keep order" or "validate documents".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 05:21 pm

Thanks.

"when you start seeing a visual military presence in our streets to "keep order" or "validate documents"."......Sooner than you think.

Jake 06/02/12 - 05:32 pm
Sooner than you think

At this time I do not see that happening but I will not say that it won't ever happen. No one can predict the future and I am not going to live forever.
Speaking of living forever, a Jewish friend of mine told me this joke. Why do Jewish men usually die before their wives? Because they want to.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 05:52 pm
Who thinks American soldiers

Who thinks American soldiers would follow an order to kill American citizens in order to disarm them?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 06:01 pm
harley

I have asked a few of my LE friends if gun confiscation was to happen, would they shot me if I refused to turn over my weapons....All answered, Hell No!

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 06:03 pm
I'm glad AL relates the

I'm glad AL relates the problems at the library. Her eyewitness accounts are valid examples of what goes on in today's libraries. That multimillion dollar structure and its ongoing budget is of absolutely no value to the average citizen.

Communities should have online libraries with book sharing among libraries. You would have a thousand times the number of users at a thousandth of the cost providing a thousand times the books.

Notice various education programs are moving to e-books. Anyone remember when someone tried to flush a sneaker down the toilet in the newly opened library flooding the carpet?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 06:06 pm
A Liberal formed militia

A Liberal formed militia during a marital law would be a different story.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 06:07 pm
CG...I expect that would be

CG...I expect that would be the response of most LE and military personnel.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 06:08 pm
Under those circumstances

Under those circumstances there would be a civil war and the "liberal formed militia" would lose. IMHO, of course.

Jake 06/02/12 - 06:10 pm
My point exactly

harley, Weapons are so entrenched into American society (for better or worse depending on your view) that making the confiscation of them not only difficult but next to impossible. That is why I don't see this happening in our country. Now if there was a ban on ammunition, that might be different. Also, American soldiers would have to be fully indoctrinated (propogandized) into believing that the ownership of weapons by the citizenry was an affront to their power. It happened in Germany in the 30's but I don't see it happening here.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 06:18 pm
Jake

You are probably logically right, but all it is going to take is one little Spark to have a civil war that would make our last civil war look like a Saturday night bar fight.

Jake 06/02/12 - 06:18 pm
Liberal militia?

That is a funny concept. I can see them marching now with Teva sandles and armed with hot mocha lattes (decaffinated of course). No, if there is going to be a confiscation of arms I think it would come from an extreme ultra right wing administration that would want to hold the entire populace down without ever having to worry about any sort of armed insurrection. Dictatorship, if you will.

Jake 06/02/12 - 06:24 pm
Civil war

If any sort of hostilities were to break out between any organized army and the citizenry then my money would be on the army unless it was weak and disorganized. They have bigger guns plus artillery.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 06:24 pm
Jake

You sure come up with some real wild concept at times. Damn, can't argue the possibility with you.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 06:27 pm
I just can't picture the Army

I just can't picture the Army turning on it's own kind, family, friends...

Jake 06/02/12 - 06:29 pm
Wild concepts

Well, George, unlike Clinton I have inhaled.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 06:31 pm
LOL....time will only

LOL....time will only tell.....

Jake 06/02/12 - 06:32 pm
Army

I cannot imagine our current military turning on it's own kind either. But there may come a time when it could happen depending upon who is in charge. Kent State anyone?

KSL
119036
KSL 06/02/12 - 06:34 pm
More than likely the military

More than likely the military would not follow orders against the citizenry if they felt the executive branch was over reaching.

Jake 06/02/12 - 06:38 pm
Interesting concept

Has the military, in great numbers, ever defied an Executive Order? I know individuals have but has any large group of military personnel ever done it?

Jake 06/02/12 - 06:40 pm
Gotta run

I need to pick up my son from his fencing class. I hope he can defend our household if under seige. Our stupid bunny will be the first one out the door to see if the coast is clear.

KSL
119036
KSL 06/02/12 - 06:42 pm
Perhaps it has never before

Perhaps it has never before come to that.

Vogtle workforce hits 4,200

About 4,200 workers are employed at the Plant Vogtle expansion project where the first two reactors built in the U.S. in more than three decades are rising from the red clay.