Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG THANK YOU to the nice man who works on the lawn care crew by Five Guys in Evans. Thank you so much for taking a minute and helping me with my car. You are an angel.

WHY IS THE YMCA Day Camp held outside? The temperature in Georgia gets up to 100, and these kids 5-6 are expected to stay outside. The only water available for them is from a faucet in the outhouse. Move the kids back to the 6,000-square-foot facility.

I TRULY APPRECIATED the paper publishing several prayers submitted by our community online when we had the National Day of Prayer. Why not continue this practice daily and use half the space used for Rants & Raves,” certainly a more productive use of our space and time.

IT IS INTERESTING that the president was blamed when the gas prices spiked and now that the prices are falling there’s not a peep out you ranters. What was that all about?

CITY OF THOMSON, why hire an interim police chief? What is the purpose of the assistant chief? A waste of taxpayers’ money.

KUDOS TO DR. THOMAS – The best principal ever at HMS.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how a man who has spent the last 30 years trying to get criminals off from crimes (including a commissioner) now wants to be the head lawman in the county.

IF THE SHERIFF’S office can’t curtail the accidents on Mike Padgett Highway, the Georgia State Patrol should take over. It is a Georgia highway. It might cut down on some of these deaths.

I THINK THAT IF they are going to cut the garbage pickup from twice a week to once a week then the price ought to be cut. Why should we pay the same amount of money when we are getting half of the pickup? It should be half the price as well.

BECAUSE (STUDENTS) did not pass the end-of-the-year test does not mean they can’t walk across that stage to get their certificate of attendance. They earned that right just like anybody else did.

RANT TO THE PEOPLE who speed and tailgate on Walton Way. Learn the speed limit. With all the blind driveways, a school zone and drivers who need to turn onto Arsenal Avenue and into ASU, trying to go 55 mph and riding the tail of the car in front of you is just asking for an accident.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/02/12 - 09:47 am
seenitb4 quotes: "if jails

seenitb4 quotes: "if jails are so dangerous, why are we sending so many people there?

Uuuum, because some of these folks are dangerous? Especially all those demon from Hell pot smokers.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/02/12 - 09:51 am
seenitb4 writes:"....I hear

seenitb4 writes:"....I hear they can already see through your home with special xray lasers lights...."

One look inside my house at my nekkid butt will cure them of looking again. In some places it would be called cruel and unusual punishment.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/02/12 - 09:55 am
Retired Army

Pictures ...please..:)

rwarmy
rwarmy 06/02/12 - 09:57 am
Thanks for Lunch-Vietnam Vet

A huge rave and thank you to the lady who paid for my lunch at the Evans Chili's, 1 Jun, from a Combat Wounded Vietnam Vet; you made my day!!!! We unfortunately did not get the respect or thanks for our service in the 60's and 70's. Her gift of lunch for me was truely appreciated and made me reevaluate my belief in our society and what we do for our country.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/02/12 - 09:59 am
seenitb4, Now that's

seenitb4, Now that's desperate. hohohhahah!

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/02/12 - 10:06 am
Thank you Seenit ... just

Thank you Seenit ... just trying to keep the facts straight ... you never know who may know more than another poster. Good morning to all ...

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/02/12 - 10:08 am
seenitb4, just for you

seenitb4, just for you darlin'

This girl said she recognized me from the vegetarian club, but I'd never met herbivore.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/02/12 - 10:14 am
Politics & money.....

This is sad for Gwinnett county...a lifetime of good works will go down the drain for her...

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/02/12 - 10:16 am
Nothing for Obama to brag about.

"IT IS INTERESTING that the president was blamed when the gas prices spiked and now that the prices are falling there’s not a peep out you ranters"

That's true. Back then we ranted because with a minimum amount of economic progress gas prices skyrocketed. That was due to Obama's anti-energy policies.

Now the gas prices are down because Obama's economic policies, deficit, and anti-business policies are crushing the economy. Yes, the price of gas has dropped a little but the reason for the drop is certainly nothing for Obama to brag about. And, oh by the way, due to Obama's anti-energy policies we are STILL paying about $1 a gallon more than we should be paying.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/02/12 - 10:16 am
Haha

Thanks RA....

B4Real.....I hope you hang in there with us.....we need you on here.:)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 10:25 am
"W"ayward Brother RA

I don't remember what channel was airing this last night, but it was a large homecoming for our troops. A large banner was displayed saying "WECOME HOME HERO'S". My thought went to you....were they wrong displaying that?

allhans
allhans 06/02/12 - 10:24 am
Speaking of spying, Bob

Speaking of spying, Bob Beckel says there are hundred of drones flying around watching us,. This after a farmer in Nebraska was spotted by a spy plane not disposing of his cow--yaknow stuff properly. And after the leaking of Obama and team cyber spying on Iran and planting a virus to put a damper on their nuclear ambitions.

So, if the capability is there..but do they want to do that stuff?

allhans
allhans 06/02/12 - 09:34 pm
BTW..Zimmerman is ACUSED of

BTW..Zimmerman is ACCUSED of lying. That hasn't yet been proven.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 11:04 am
allhans

We may laugh, but we are moving at a very fast pace in making the 1984 movie "Big Brother Is Watching a reality.

countyman
20149
countyman 06/02/12 - 11:45 am
Dichotomy... I don't usually

Dichotomy... I don't usually respond to your comments, but this one is clearly over the top... While there are definitely some low performing schools in the county, we don't have the worst schools in the US by far...

Almost every single year Davidson is ranked the number 1 school in Georgia... I'm pretty sure it's the number 1 middle school too in the state.. There's no school in the entire CSRA ranked higher than AR Johnson either... Westside has averaged a higher ACT/SAT score over the last decade compared to any other high school in Richmond/Columbia county besides Davidson, Greenbrier, Lakeside, and AR Johnson... Freedom Park was named a 'national model' school last year, and Lake Forest Hills elementary is on it's way to becoming the first IB world school in the metro... ARC is already the only high school with the IB program in the metro, and the new magnet high school is opening next to Augusta Tech this year... I haven't even mentioned CT Walker, Warren rd, etc, which are good schools too..

Let's compare the top schools in Richmond County against the surrounding counties... I'm positive the same group of people who love to bash Augusta will dislike my comment, but they know everything I've said is FACT....

People love to bring up the negative things concerning RC schools, but look at the CRCT from last year... 8th grade reading: Davidson 100%, CT Walker 100%, AR Johnson 100%, and Freedom Park 100% in Richmond County versus Greenbrier 100% in CC..

No wonder why I continue to have conversations with some people who move to Harlem or Grovetown, and are dissapointed in terms of the schools.. They move here and end up falling for the CC school 'hype', and get told how the schools are better than the one's in RC..... I just talked to somebody who is [filtered word] the realtor only showed them Harlem, Grovetown, Martinez, and Evans... They ending up renting in Grovetown, but didn't see get a chance to see West Augusta until it was too late...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 12:33 pm
countyman

I was wondering how much manipulation had to be done to have those percentages?

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 12:57 pm
The Richmond County magnet

The Richmond County magnet schools have a tiny number of students. The scores for all Richmond County students as a whole are dismal.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/02/12 - 01:18 pm
countyman cherry picking.

countyman.....it's easy the cherry pick a few bright spots in an otherwise dismal darkness. The fact remains that RC had a 54.6% graduation rate last year using the new cohort metric. Columbia county's graduation rate for the same school year was 75.95% using the same new cohort metric. You seem to be suggesting that existing RC residents need move and buy a house in one of our acceptable school districts. With a 54.6% graduation rate I think it is fair to say that we, in toto, county wide, have a failed school SYSTEM.

happychimer
happychimer 06/02/12 - 02:22 pm
John, Zimmerman and his wife

John, Zimmerman and his wife lied about his finances when he made bail. They claimed to be penniless. While he was locked up that 1st time, he and his wife talked on the phone in code about moving that money around so the money would be hidden from others. They lied under oath.Also, he had to hand over his passport, and it was discovered he had another passport.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 02:28 pm
Sounds like Zimmerman is

Sounds like Zimmerman is probably a liberal. I mean John Edwards lived a life of telling total whoppers and he was almost VP. Algore too. I won't even mention Clinton......or Obama.

Whoops....

happychimer
happychimer 06/02/12 - 02:29 pm
I don't remember now who I

I don't remember now who I responded to. I thought it was John.

happychimer
happychimer 06/02/12 - 02:30 pm
harley, or Nixon

harley, or Nixon

KSL
KSL 06/02/12 - 02:36 pm
Countyman, I would not be in

Countyman, I would not be in such a hurry for an IB program. Some years ago Aiken High had it. It sounded like a good idea. Then they discontinued it. The more I read about it, the more it sounds like it was a good decision to stop it.

Google mandatory Arabic in Manhattan elementary school.

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 03:49 pm
If democrats remain in power

If democrats remain in power mandatory Arabic might be a lifesaver for some.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 04:02 pm
KING SMNCICBHO WILL CAUSE CIVLE WAR

U.S. reverses stance on treaty to regulate arms trade

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States reversed policy on Wednesday and said it would back launching talks on a treaty to regulate arms sales as long as the talks operated by consensus, a stance critics said gave every nation a veto.

The decision, announced in a statement released by the U.S. State Department, overturns the position of former President George W. Bush's administration, which had opposed such a treaty on the grounds that national controls were better.

On Wednesday Obama Took the First Major Step in a Plan to Ban All Firearms in the United States. The Obama administration intends to
force gun control and a complete ban on all weapons for US citizens through the signing of international treaties with foreign nations. By
signing international treaties on gun control, the Obama administration can use the US State Department to bypass the normal legislative process in Congress. Once the US Government signs these international treaties, all US citizens will be subject to those gun laws created by foreign governments. These are laws that have been developed and promoted by organizations such as the United Nations and individuals such as George Soros and Michael Bloomberg. The laws are designed and intended to lead to the complete ban and confiscation of all firearms.

The Obama administration is attempting to use tactics and methods of gun control that will inflict major damage to our 2nd Amendment before US citizens even understand what has happened. Obama can appear before the public and tell them that he does not intend to pursue any legislation (in the United States) that will lead to new gun control laws, while cloaked in secrecy, his Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton is committing the US to international treaties and foreign gun control laws. Does that mean Obama is telling the truth? What it means is that there will be no publicized gun control debates in the media or votes in Congress. We will wake up one morning and find that the United States has signed a treaty that prohibits firearm and ammunition manufacturers from selling to the public. We will wake up another morning and find that the US has signed a treaty that prohibits any transfer of firearm ownership. And then, we will wake up yet another morning and find that the US has signed a treaty that requires US citizens to deliver any firearm they own to the local government collection and destruction center or face imprisonment.

This is not a joke nor a false warning. As sure as government health care will be forced on us by the Obama administration through whatever means necessary, so will gun control.

We are being led like a lamb to the slaughter (Socialism/Dictatorship).

countyman
20149
countyman 06/02/12 - 04:53 pm
Freedom Park, Lake Forest

Freedom Park, Lake Forest Hills, Westside, ARC, Hephzibah elementary/middle, Sue Reynolds, Cross Creek, Pine Hill, etc aren't magnet schools...

Many schools offer AP classes, but ARC is the only one with the IB program... The RCBOE recently had to spend millions expanding the IB wing because of the local demand..

Why do you continue to only mention the magnet schools? I clearly said Westside(non-magnet) has a higher SAT/ACT average over the last decade compared to Harlem, Evans, and even Grovetown after opening in 2010.

Those graduation rates just became effective this year for Richmond County...

Even if you remove the non magnet schools from the list: CT Walker, Davidson, and AR johnson... Freedom Park(non magnet) still scored higher than EVERY middle school in Columbia County other than Greenbrier..

All I have to say is compare the Richmond County graduation rate/ SAT scores versus Bibb, Fulton, Chatham, Clarke, and Muscogee... Then compare Columbia versus Cobb, Gwinnett, Houston, Oconee, etc.. It's much easier when you less at risk kids attending your schools..

harley_52
harley_52 06/02/12 - 04:17 pm
Even if the President signs

Even if the President signs such a treaty, it must be ratified by a 2/3 supermajority of the Senate. I don't see that happening, nor do I see any way around it. Not that a dictator supported by a well armed force wouldn't try, mind you.

I suppose you all noticed that Obama's pal in Venezuela, Chavez, has just banned the private ownership of firearms. It's what communist dictators do when they desire a powerless, easily enslaved or killed, citizenry.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/02/12 - 04:26 pm
RE: 04:17

I'd like to agree with you on that one, but, and this is a big one, US presidents have this nasty habit (not only the incumbent) of issuing executive orders which do the same thing. Take a look at the Law of the Sea Treaty which was never brought to a vote. Many of the less palatable parts have been slid in under the radar by executive order of this president.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 04:38 pm
He may take my God out of my

He may take my God out of my life..but...he will never take the guns (MANY) out of my hands.

In the past it was the British are coming, it is now The King is coming, Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 04:39 pm
harley

"it must be ratified by a 2/3 super majority of the Senate."

Just like the Health care Bill!