Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A BIG THANK YOU to the nice man who works on the lawn care crew by Five Guys in Evans. Thank you so much for taking a minute and helping me with my car. You are an angel.

WHY IS THE YMCA Day Camp held outside? The temperature in Georgia gets up to 100, and these kids 5-6 are expected to stay outside. The only water available for them is from a faucet in the outhouse. Move the kids back to the 6,000-square-foot facility.

I TRULY APPRECIATED the paper publishing several prayers submitted by our community online when we had the National Day of Prayer. Why not continue this practice daily and use half the space used for Rants & Raves,” certainly a more productive use of our space and time.

IT IS INTERESTING that the president was blamed when the gas prices spiked and now that the prices are falling there’s not a peep out you ranters. What was that all about?

CITY OF THOMSON, why hire an interim police chief? What is the purpose of the assistant chief? A waste of taxpayers’ money.

KUDOS TO DR. THOMAS – The best principal ever at HMS.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND how a man who has spent the last 30 years trying to get criminals off from crimes (including a commissioner) now wants to be the head lawman in the county.

IF THE SHERIFF’S office can’t curtail the accidents on Mike Padgett Highway, the Georgia State Patrol should take over. It is a Georgia highway. It might cut down on some of these deaths.

I THINK THAT IF they are going to cut the garbage pickup from twice a week to once a week then the price ought to be cut. Why should we pay the same amount of money when we are getting half of the pickup? It should be half the price as well.

BECAUSE (STUDENTS) did not pass the end-of-the-year test does not mean they can’t walk across that stage to get their certificate of attendance. They earned that right just like anybody else did.

RANT TO THE PEOPLE who speed and tailgate on Walton Way. Learn the speed limit. With all the blind driveways, a school zone and drivers who need to turn onto Arsenal Avenue and into ASU, trying to go 55 mph and riding the tail of the car in front of you is just asking for an accident.

Jake
Jake 06/01/12 - 08:47 pm
End of the year test

If this test is so crucial to someone getting their high school diploma then the students ought to be able to prepare for it like they have to do for any test. It could be that some of the questions asked might be from a curriculum that they never studied in high school. I don't know if this is the case or not. Does anyone know what is required in these tests?

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 06/01/12 - 09:41 pm
If you don't pass the required test...

then you f-a-i-l-e-d the r-e-q-u-i-r-e-d test. So why does failure justify taking an also-ran stroll down the aisle with those who successfully completed the required course of study? Quit coddling these kids and let this failure have its merited repercussions. It may be the most important lesson they'll get from High School.

copperhead
copperhead 06/01/12 - 10:33 pm
NO child left behind!

NO child left behind!

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 03:26 am
Reading about Bloomberg and

Reading about Bloomberg and his ban of soft drinks over 20 oz got me thinking about government taking control of our lives. It's like the "Clickit or Ticket" campaign on TV. This authoritarian voice says they can tell even at night if you are not wearing a seatbelt. I mean is there anywhere government's eyes don't pry? They can't see in my car at night...can they? It would almost be worth getting a ticket for no seat belt one night just to see how they do it.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 06/02/12 - 04:39 am
Observations from the road

Look out for the Pepsi Police, or will it be a Coke Czar? Government may try to legislate weight but it won't work. Government needs to stay out of my private life anyway. What you eat or drink is a personal decision. If someone wants to loose weight, they will. 6 months or so ago I was getting close to 250 pounds. I decided to do something about it. Down to 223 last weekend.

Rachel Maddow tried to put Solyndra on Bush. Her remarks were made after Romney spoke in front of the closed plant. Rachel, I remember the Emperor standing in front of the Solyndra plant touting HIS stimulus bill. C'mon Rachel, you can serve better kool-aid than that.

Martin v Zimmerman revisited. There have been complaints for showing injuries to the back of Zimmerman's head. How about a few complaints for showing Martin as a youngster, not an older teen.

John Edwards. He is guilty of being a jerk. The rest of the stuff I don't know about. What I do know is that he is done, so stop wasting my money on a witch hunt. Or would that be warlock?

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 06:54 am
About Zimmerman, they are now

About Zimmerman, they are now going to lock him up because too many people contributed money to his defense. Will he just allow them to use the guillotine on him and get this over?

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 07:17 am
OH BOY..SOME MEAT ON THESE BONES!

Finally some meat to chew on here....wow

Do away with r/rs & put WHAT!!----Pls keep in mind the players on r/rs also buy time & space here....run us away my dear & watch the place tumble....do you want to keep this place flowing---ya better watch your words ...

The lawyer you are speaking of running for Sheriff KNOWS how many criminals are out there...he has dealt with THEM...put him in office ---he probably can walk right up to the perp when ever a crime happens...

Mike Padgett Hy needs police patroling there 24/7.....put them on the road...asap....

good am troublemakers....my bestest friends.....& good for you RKill with the loss of weight......I bet you look good!

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 07:23 am
Government in our life too dang much

Yep....they are going too far for comfort.......seat belt rules----what goes in our mouth----cigs & cigars---soon it will be what happens inside our house......dang....I hear they can already see through your home with special xray lasers lights.......& can actually see humans moving around inside.....what room you are in & what position you play....ya know whatta mean....YIKES

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 07:28 am
SeenIt, heh, heh, heh.

SeenIt, heh, heh, heh.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/02/12 - 07:30 am
Frankie

You surely do not have a firm grasp on the philosophy of Entitlement.

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 07:33 am
Buy our space

Some don't realize this but we buy our spots on here....it is just like going to a flea market & loking at the goods up for sale...

Think of this as our spot for used goods .......we display them in our little box on here...some just look over & don't buy anything..well most do that.....we are ok about it......we just like to display stuff on here....some nibble & some bite into our goods.......some even get some real knowledge from our words.......(.believe it or not)
anyway you know what they say.....what is trash to some is another mans treasure......& thankfully we don't all like the same thing!!!

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 07:37 am
The Chronicle is important to

The Chronicle is important to Augusta. I pay my way and appreciate those involved in turning out OUR paper. It's not always easy I realize.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 07:42 am
Good Morning Free America

First post of the day - Now you see it and Now you Don't ?

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 07:42 am
AC is a treasure

Yes I agree.....the Chronicle is a treasure ........like they say --you don't miss it til it's gone....I don't want to ever miss it!

btw JBrown...are you kin to the late James Brown & can you sing ??

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 07:44 am
Cgee

Good morning sweetness......hope you are bushy tailed this am..:)

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 07:49 am
James Brown was my first

James Brown was my first cousin. I actually helped him write some of his songs, but I won't get into that now.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/02/12 - 07:51 am
Kissing up

JBAug, going after some points this morning???

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 08:00 am
B4

hope you are bushy tailed this am..:) was untill my first post was vaporized....

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 08:00 am
CGee I guess this news wasn't what you wanted to hear!

The stock market suffered its worst day of the year Friday after a surprisingly weak report about hiring and employment cast a pall of gloom over the U.S. economy. The Dow Jones industrial average plunged 275 points.

Traders stampeded into the safety of bonds, pushing the yield on the benchmark 10-year Treasury note to a record low. Fearful investors bought gold, causing the price to spike $50 an ounce, and concern about a global economic slowdown drove the price of oil to its lowest since October.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/02/12 - 08:01 am
This points thing is funny. I

This points thing is funny. I know exactly how to make the number go up...if you have previous posts. But I avoid that stuff. I have inadverently hit my own posts with a thumbs up when I was trying to do an edit. Any of y'all ever do that?

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 08:11 am
No never

No....we never make mistakes!

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 08:13 am
A new guy on the block...:)

I see a newbie on our posting block---I think I'm gonna like him...he says to another on here.....the following

Khan'tB4Real05/31/12 - 10:15 pm

CSRAguy did you learn all

CSRAguy did you learn all that patrolling in Crawfordville? Actually not only can a citizen request an accuracy check they can go to Court and ask to see the calibration certification and if it has expired the case will be thrown out of Court. You'll be amazed how often the certification is expired.

Now tell me CSRAguy how does the radar function and define the doppler theory.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 08:15 am
Sorry AC

Blamed you for removing my first post today....My 72 year old brain not too Sharp this AM.....posted under another Thread.

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 08:24 am
Hahha

Cgee....you are sooooo honest........maybe that's why I loveya.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/02/12 - 08:53 am
"They earned that right just

"They earned that right just like anybody else did."

No they did not. They wasted the money I spent on them and they deserve to get the same thing I got for my money.......nothing.

"It should be half the price as well.

Yes, it should. Apparently RC property owners have lots of money and don't mind being robbed by Mark Johnson and the downtown gang. Not one local government official or representative has stepped forward to justify why we should be forced to pay double. My propety tax has doubled since 2004.....and I got nothing for it. Now my garbage service is being doubled.....and I get worse service. My school taxes have doubled.......and the schools are the worst in the US. Hmmm.....I wonder what is the difference between RC and the surrounding counties? What could it be?

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 09:10 am
Talk about gov. intrusion

I need to know something...

Is it possible to get a body cavity search just for having a speeding ticket?? Or parking ticket??

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/02/12 - 09:17 am
B4

Where in the heck did you come up with that one?

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 09:34 am
?

A friend of a friend wants to know......some place some where ......not in the CSRA....
A small town in the middle of no where.....no place you wanta be cgee..:)

seenitB4 06/02/12 - 09:41 am
Supreme court says so

Privacy

by Mike Masnick

Tue, Apr 3rd 2012 8:30am

Filed Under:
4th amendment, jail, scotus, strip search

Permalink.

Supreme Court Says You Can Be Strip Searched When Admitted To Jails For Any Offense

from the what-4th-amendment dept

The Supreme Court continues to chip away at whatever is left of the 4th Amendment. A ruling on Monday (with a close 5 to 4 vote) decided that jails can strip search those enrolled for pretty much any offense. However, the reasoning behind this was very suspect. In this case, it was a man who was mistakenly arrested (there was an erroneous warrant out for a fine which he had already paid).

The majority opinion, by Justice Kennedy, basically argues (1) that jails are really dangerous, so we have to search everyone and (2) that some bad people might be arrested for other things, and a strip search might find them out. Neither argument makes much sense when you think about it. As Amy Davidson writes at the New Yorker link above, if jails are so dangerous, why are we sending so many people there?

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/02/12 - 09:43 am
johnbrown writes:"About

johnbrown writes:"About Zimmerman, they are now going to lock him up because too many people contributed money to his defense."

No John. They're going to lock him up because he stood up in a court of law and bald faced lied to the judge and the world that he was penniless when in fact his bank account had over $200,000.00 dollars in it at the time. Now, it looks as if Zimmerman lied to Homeland Security about his passport being lost last year to gain a second one which of course he did not surrender as part of his bond agreement.

Possession of that kind of cash and lying about having it and a passport makes him a flight risk.

Both of those are serious charges that involve lying and can carry stiff penalties of their own.

Lastly, anybody with a reasonable mind would be right to ask, what else is Zimmerman lying about?